• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kingdom Hearts Community Thread: Now everybody can be a Keyblade Wielder!

Malyse

Weiss thats not even the same game anymore. You're in for a surprise if you think they will put more effort into this than they did in RE:CoM.

aravuus

Wouldn't mind them retconning the fuck out of the time travel twist

Usually I love time travel stuff, but it's not gonna work here. I can feel it.

Golnei

Wouldn't mind them retconning the fuck out of the time travel twist

Usually I love time travel stuff, but it's not gonna work here. I can feel it.

It'll probably be retconned to some extent in 3, but only to make room for an even more idiotic contrivance.

They'll probably add a new dream eater and call it a day, I bet the team is focused on 0.2

If the new Dream Eater is Riku, that'll already more than justify the remaster. Square-Enix has a fantastic opportunity to serve as a proud ambassador for bringing facerubbing to mainstream console games.

zeemumu

If the new Dream Eater is Riku, that'll already more than justify the remaster. Square-Enix has a fantastic opportunity to serve as a proud ambassador for bringing facerubbing to mainstream console games.

Having him available as a Dream eater would give away the twist too early though, wouldn't it? Maybe he could be an unlockable dream eater after the game.

botty

Banned
It's kind of insane to think Master Xehanort's heart had any chance existing in Sora's body when Xion, Roxas, and Ven are currently in there.

Honestly I liked Dream Drop Distance because it showed us that Sora can actually fall into the Darkness fairly easily if his friends are not there. It also showed us Riku is a badass and way stronger than Sora. It also had the Axel keyblade reveal and the Roxas with Sora scene.

Seda

While he's certainly not as cheerful as typical Sora, I do like how the game made Riku a bit more friendlypositive after being the moody sort in KH2. DDD is practically his game.

Malyse

While he's certainly not as cheerful as typical Sora, I do like how the game made Riku a bit more friendlypositive after being the moody sort in KH2. DDD is practically his game.
No, DDD is literally his game.
Having him available as a Dream eater would give away the twist too early though, wouldn't it? Maybe he could be an unlockable dream eater after the game.
The twist is in your face if you pay attention. He had the dream spirit emblem on his back.

botty

Banned
Honestly I liked Dream Drop Distance because it showed us that Sora can actually fall into the Darkness fairly easily if his friends are not there. It also showed us Riku is a badass and way stronger than Sora. It also had the Axel keyblade reveal and the Roxas with Sora scene.

Sora falling to darkness didn't make sense, and they had to find the most ridiculous way to do it.

Sora falling to darkness didn't make sense, and they had to find the most ridiculous way to do it.

It did in some respects- Sora's an incredibly empathetic guy, and shoving a lot of negative emotions at him (especially since 3 of the people that said emotions came from are inside him) at once probably messed with his heart a lot.

That being said the execution could have been way better.

botty

Banned
Sora has never dealt with his inner darkness. He's, like, the only one who hasn't.

Where is this coming from? Why does Sora have to deal with his inner darkness when it has never been problematic for him prior? Only Riku and Terra-- both of which spent entire games having their minds manipulated and darkness honed to increase their abilities-- had to deal with their inner darkness because it was their go-to source of power. Sora has always been a hero of light, hence why the key blade went to him after passing Riku. If key blade masters/wielders have to deal with inner darkness then should we assume Micky, Lea, Aqua, etc need to watch out for recusant's sigils?

Maybe I am missing something here.

It did in some respects- Sora's an incredibly empathetic guy, and shoving a lot of negative emotions at him (especially since 3 of the people that said emotions came from are inside him) at once probably messed with his heart a lot.

That being said the execution could have been way better.

I think this would have been a much better route to go with, especially after it was being set up by the end of Re:Coded. We even had that weird scene with Roxas giving Sora all of his memories... those should have been what crushed him or sent him into darkness, but we are constantly being forced to accept Xehanort's flawless plans.

Anyone can fall to darkness, that's the point. We never really saw Sora isolated the way he was in 3D. In Chain of Memories he regularly saw Donald and Goofy in the castle so in the last part of 3D where he's pretty much alone and being baited by those weird dreams causes him to give in. Sora has a strong light but isn't 100% immune to Darkness, it'd be stupid if he was considering that's kind of OP. Sora has needed to be saved by his friends like 2 times now, 3 if we count the time Riku spent looking for a way to wake Sora up. It's a recurring theme, Sora needs other people to keep him safe to the point where 2 different people had to stop existing just so that he'd be okay.

And also, Sora can pretty much turn into a Heartless in KH2, I always wondered why they never pointed that out since it implies there's darkness inside of Sora that can sometimes take over.

botty

Banned
Anyone can fall to darkness, that's the point. We never really saw Sora isolated the way he was in 3D. In Chain of Memories he regularly saw Donald and Goofy in the castle so in the last part of 3D where he's pretty much alone and being baited by those weird dreams causes him to give in. Sora has a strong light but isn't 100% immune to Darkness, it'd be stupid if he was considering that's kind of OP. Sora has needed to be saved by his friends like 2 times now, 3 if we count the time Riku spent looking for a way to wake Sora up. It's a recurring theme, Sora needs other people to keep him safe to the point where 2 different people had to stop existing just so that he'd be okay.

And also, Sora can pretty much turn into a Heartless in KH2, I always wondered why they never pointed that out since it implies there's darkness inside of Sora that can sometimes take over.

We saw Sora fall to darkness when he sacrificed himself and became a heartless. A shadow heartless because he didn't have much darkness in his heart to begin with. Sora being "isolated" should not have anything to do with him falling to darkness, especially since we have so many pivotal moments where we are basically told "you are never alone as long as you have your friends in your heart..etc" which was pretty much the central theme of Birth By Sleep, and hell, Dream Drop Distance even turned it into a mechanic/plot device.

In regards to Anti Form, it's just a representation of the fact that Sora was a heartless and is incomplete.

Famitsu Interview; Interviewer: "Is Anti Form originated from when Sora got turned into a Heartless?" /
Nomura: "Story-wise, yes. Drives are very strong so Anti Form exists as a side-effect of using too much power. System-wise, I wanted to create something strong but troublesome."

Interesting to note that once Sora/Roxas reconcile and become "complete," Sora/Roxas achieve Final Form which counters Anti-Form's mechanic.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Just got KHII.5 HD

How difficult are the side content bosses in KHII
namely Lingering Will and Data Replications
on Standard mode? Maybe I should have went for easy first if I wanted to get the plat. :T

Weiss

Banned
KH2 on Standard is so easy that Darksyde Phil was able to beat it.

For real, though. Critical is the only way the game can be a challenge.

Just got KHII.5 HD

on Standard mode? Maybe I should have went for easy first if I wanted to get the plat. :T
You will die over and over until you start to memorize their patterns and when they're open. Reflect magic is your friend. Also, in KH2 bosses don't die until you land a complete combo even if their HP is almost zero, I think that if you hit them with a magic attack they die.

Psxphile

X1Rx9kq.jpg

Just got KHII.5 HD

I'd say maybe kinda difficult? I've never played KHIIFM on Standard. As a whole, the Data re-fights are a more difficult endeavor than Lingering Will is, the LW is a bit more to handle than any singular Data Org. XIII member.

Believe it or not, they're actually a bit easier on Critical Mode, thank to the damage boost Sora gets. Fights end a lot quicker.

Weiss

Banned
Yen Sid busting out the Star Seeker and wrecking shit is what I am greatly anticipating in KH3.

Except he's totally going to get punked, so kind of a bummer.

Tsunamo

Speaking of DDD changes i'd love it if they took the hoods off of the other Norts as a nice suprise for those who have played before, they'll probably save those reveals for 3 but it still would be neat though.

Alternatively: Another secret ending along with a couple/few more scenes. Being Nomura I expect at least a couple of scenes thrown in there to forshadow what's next.
0.2 excluded

Speaking of DDD changes i'd love it if they took the hoods off of the other Norts as a nice suprise for those who have played before, they'll probably save those reveals for 3 but it still would be neat though.

See, that would be amazing. It'll never happen, but it'd be a legit surprise. And there is precedent for them altering scenes in the HD ports (Lingering Will's cape materializing) already. Plus, the extra added scenes to Re:Coded's HD theater.

I really hope they add something to DDD HD, though. About the only thing guaranteed to get changed is EXP Zero to be more in line with the other HD ports.

zeemumu

Yen Sid busting out the Star Seeker and wrecking shit is what I am greatly anticipating in KH3.

Except he's totally going to get punked, so kind of a bummer.

I can really only see Yen Sid busting out some serious magic. Xehanort is Episode III Palpatine and Yen Sid is Episode VI Palpatine.

Weiss

Banned
See, that would be amazing. It'll never happen, but it'd be a legit surprise. And there is precedent for them altering scenes in the HD ports (Lingering Will's cape materializing) already. Plus, the extra added scenes to Re:Coded's HD theater.

I really hope they add something to DDD HD, though. About the only thing guaranteed to get changed is EXP Zero to be more in line with the other HD ports.

I have a hard time believing they won't change anything, especially given some of the more maligned aspects of the game (Overpowered Balloon spells, grinding Dream Eaters, Drops interrupting boss fights). They tidied up KH1's more archaic aspects and it's a better game for it.

botty

Banned
DDD was a rushed mess, so hopefully with the extra bit of time they have now they can add/fix the things they didn't get a chance to before.

Weiss

Banned
Okay so I know 3D's story is stupid and we've all accepted that, but if time travel only works by discarding your body and moving backwards, how did Young Xehanort make it into the Sleeping Worlds? They were accessed at the time of Destiny Islands being lost into darkness. I thought that was the whole point behind Sora and Riku being younger.

For that matter, how did Mickey and Axel get in there? The Seekers of Darkness could conceivably fall under the "version of yourself waiting for you", but not them. And if you can only move backwards how did Young Xehanort show up for a boss fight in BBS?

Falk

that puzzling face
Okay so I know 3D's story is stupid and we've all accepted that, but if time travel only works by discarding your body and moving backwards, how did Young Xehanort make it into the Sleeping Worlds? They were accessed at the time of Destiny Islands being lost into darkness. I thought that was the whole point behind Sora and Riku being younger.

For that matter, how did Mickey and Axel get in there? The Seekers of Darkness could conceivably fall under the "version of yourself waiting for you", but not them. And if you can only move backwards how did Young Xehanort show up for a boss fight in BBS?

You can go backwards in time so far that it wraps around to the future.

Square Enix hire me

It's not that you can only move backwards, it's that you can only move in one direction before inevitably being snatched back to your own timeline. Ansem went back in time to give Young Xehanort his time travel powers and was presumably returned to his timeline. Young Xehanort moved forward in time from that point, making stops along the way to pick up various forms of Xehanort.

It does raise an interesting question though: How the hell was he able to fight one of the BBS protagonists? Going by the rule that a version of yourself has to be at your destination, it doesn't make sense for him to be able to go to the Land of Departure considering that the only active Xehanort at the point in time where you could conceivably battle him is Master Xehanort. Terra hadn't had his body snatched yet, so I don't think he'd count as an anchor (so to speak) for Young Xehanort to travel to.

It'd probably just be easier to say the fight was non-canon and be done with it. The only optional boss that ever seamlessly integrated itself into the story was KH1FM Xemnas, anyway.

--------

My questions on the whole time travel thing are:

1. How did Young Xehanort circumvent the "discarding your body" rule to time traveling? Was it because Ansem transferred the power to him? If so...

2. How in the actual fuck did Ansem figure out he could do all of this shit?

I don't particularly want answers to these questions, since the explanations are bound to be just as stupid as the questions themselves, but holy shit is that some shoddy scenario writing.

zeemumu

It's not that you can only move backwards, it's that you can only move in one direction before inevitably being snatched back to your own timeline. Ansem went back in time to give Young Xehanort his time travel powers and was presumably returned to his timeline. Young Xehanort moved forward in time from that point, making stops along the way to pick up various forms of Xehanort.

It does raise an interesting question though: How the hell was he able to fight one of the BBS protagonists? Going by the rule that a version of yourself has to be at your destination, it doesn't make sense for him to be able to go to the Land of Departure considering that the only active Xehanort at the point in time where you could conceivably battle him is Master Xehanort. Terra hadn't had his body snatched yet, so I don't think he'd count as an anchor (so to speak) for Young Xehanort to travel to.

It'd probably just be easier to say the fight was non-canon and be done with it. The only optional boss that ever seamlessly integrated itself into the story was KH1FM Xemnas, anyway.

--------

My questions on the whole time travel thing are:

1. How did Young Xehanort circumvent the "discarding your body" rule to time traveling? Was it because Ansem transferred the power to him? If so...

2. How in the actual fuck did Ansem figure out he could do all of this shit?

I don't particularly want answers to these questions, since the explanations are bound to be just as stupid as the questions themselves, but holy shit is that some shoddy scenario writing.

He studied really, REALLY hard.

Falk

that puzzling face
You know, considering the villain was Ansem Xemnas (not-Ansem's-but-Xehanort's nobody who looks like Terra Terranort Xehanort Young Xehanort time-travelling Ansem we're gonna get another long string of "IT WAS ME ALL ALONG" reveals through KH3 to KH10 where it's finally revealed that it was Sora all along from the future who started all this shit.

edit: Probably because he just wanted to go back in time 50 years so that he could get his dinner on time, but he messed up.

You know, considering the villain was Ansem Xemnas (not-Ansem's-but-Xehanort's nobody who looks like Terra Terranort Xehanort Young Xehanort time-travelling Ansem we're gonna get another long string of "IT WAS ME ALL ALONG" reveals through KH3 to KH10 where it's finally revealed that it was Sora all along from the future who started all this shit.

edit: Probably because he just wanted to go back in time 50 years so that he could get his dinner on time, but he messed up.
Life is Kingdom Strange Hearts

zeemumu

This is probably closer to the truth than any of us would want to believe. I mean, they went to all the trouble of introducing a plot device that could foretell the future...

yep
Throughout his life, Xehanort traveled to many different worlds and obtained vast knowledge concerning Keyblade lore, the power of Light and Darkness, a detailed knowledge of the Heartless, the mysteries of the Keyblade War and Kingdom Hearts.

Malyse

Sora is getting worse said:
In KH1, he turned into a shadow. In KH2, he turned into Antiform. In 3D, he became a nightmare. On top of that, coded’s whole plot is just to show how powerful his inner darkness can be. Plus Xehanort already claimed him as his own in 3D, so I would be disappointed if part of the story of KH3 doesn’t have Sora dealing with and coming to terms with the darkness inside himself]
Leaving this here.

Top Bottom