• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kingdom Hearts Community Thread: Now everybody can be a Keyblade Wielder!

botty

Banned
Antiform is a mechanic to stop players from abusing the drive form. It's a reference to Sora turning into a heartless, but not necessarily a progression or evolution of his darkness. Technically, you can play through KH2 without ever activating Antiform.

When did Sora become a nightmare? Are they referring to Ventus' armor?

The coded part is a huge reach also...

Dream Drop Distance is the only time in which Sora is actually getting "worse." This is almost strictly, in my opinion, to make Riku look better in comparison. Prior to Terra's existence in the series, Riku's journey was a foil to Sora's own. Now, however, it seems like everyone has to be a foil to the failure that is Terra. Everything Terra did wrong, someone else has to do right.

Weiss

Banned
Don't blame Terra. Who wouldn't trust this face?

Angelina-Jolies-Maleficent-May-Play-Role-in-Kingdom-Hearts-III.png

It's not that you can only move backwards, it's that you can only move in one direction before inevitably being snatched back to your own timeline. Ansem went back in time to give Young Xehanort his time travel powers and was presumably returned to his timeline. Young Xehanort moved forward in time from that point, making stops along the way to pick up various forms of Xehanort.

It does raise an interesting question though: How the hell was he able to fight one of the BBS protagonists? Going by the rule that a version of yourself has to be at your destination, it doesn't make sense for him to be able to go to the Land of Departure considering that the only active Xehanort at the point in time where you could conceivably battle him is Master Xehanort. Terra hadn't had his body snatched yet, so I don't think he'd count as an anchor (so to speak) for Young Xehanort to travel to.

It'd probably just be easier to say the fight was non-canon and be done with it. The only optional boss that ever seamlessly integrated itself into the story was KH1FM Xemnas, anyway.

--------

My questions on the whole time travel thing are:

1. How did Young Xehanort circumvent the "discarding your body" rule to time traveling? Was it because Ansem transferred the power to him? If so...

2. How in the actual fuck did Ansem figure out he could do all of this shit?

I don't particularly want answers to these questions, since the explanations are bound to be just as stupid as the questions themselves, but holy shit is that some shoddy scenario writing.

You get time travel powers when your future self travels to the past and gives it to you? How do you give away time travel powers?

And, yeah, you're right. If Youngnort got time travel powers from Ansem how did he proceed to discard the rules he just established?

zeemumu

Antiform is a mechanic to stop players from abusing the drive form. It's a reference to Sora turning into a heartless, but not necessarily a progression or evolution of his darkness. Technically, you can play through KH2 without ever activating Antiform.

When did Sora become a nightmare? Are they referring to Ventus' armor?

The coded part is a huge reach also...

Dream Drop Distance is the only time in which Sora is actually getting "worse." This is almost strictly, in my opinion, to make Riku look better in comparison. Prior to Terra's existence in the series, Riku's journey was a foil to Sora's own. Now, however, it seems like everyone has to be a foil to the failure that is Terra. Everything Terra did wrong, someone else has to do right.

Sora's not really getting worse, he just never got better. We all just forgot that him being the main character grants him no special immunity to the darkness. Kairi does because she's pure light and Riku does because darkness and science, but not Sora. That, combined with his gullibility probably made him an excellent target for darkness hijacking, like Terra.

Weiss

Banned
Yeah but the way it happens in DDD it's just "fall to darkness because I say so."

"Also I stitched an X onto your shirt so now I can follow you for reasons."

Malyse

Yeah but the way it happens in DDD it's just "fall to darkness because I say so."

"Also I stitched an X onto your shirt so now I can follow you for reasons."

The X makes BBS make more sense.

The game tells us that the "Recusant's Sigil" is a mark of Xehanort, particularly that he's chosen someone bearing it as a potential vessel. Go back and look at the character designs that feature an "X" shape somewhere on their clothing — Riku's outfit in the first game (including Dark Mode, and by extension Vanitas), Roxas's zipper pull, Sora's outfit in the second game, Saix's scar. The trio of Birth By Sleep all have the symbol too, but while Aqua and Ven have theirs bearing the Mark of Mastery in the center to "break" the X, Terra wears the Mark on his belt so his X is complete. This is why Vanitas keeps showing up in Aqua and Ventus's story, but not Terra: Xehanort can track Terra's movements in the world via his X, but he has to have Aqua and Ventus observed directly.

Weiss

Banned
The X makes BBS make more sense.

So Xehanort can:

- Time travel.

- Track you down using a representation of a letter even though most of the time he had nothing to do with it being there.

- Exist independently of his Heartless and Nobody.

- Appear as Master Xehanort even though he should have been recreated as Apprentice Terranort.

- Rip the darkness out of somebody and give it consciousness and an actual physical form.

Am I missing anything?

Xehanort was actually a pretty cool villain in BBS, but like all hack writers eventually do he became the single most amazing, powerful and intelligent thing in existence who can plan for every single eventuality.

I do like how he's this ugly, sneering bald man with a gravely voice instead of another JRPG bishie,

mstevens

Am I wrong in feeling that levels don't really matter in this series. I mean, I see the difference between level 20 and 40, but since you only get one stat +1 each level I feel like leveling up once or twice does pretty much jack squat.

For instance, I'm on malifocent in kingdom hearts 1.5 on proud mode around level 44. Her dragon form is kicking my ass, so I figured I'd level up a few times.. But then I started thinking about how little my stats would change. Would that really make a difference? Is there some invisible stat changes? If your level up just gives you ap, is your character really no stronger?

Malyse

Am I wrong in feeling that levels don't really matter in this series. I mean, I see the difference between level 20 and 40, but since you only get one stat +1 each level I feel like leveling up once or twice does pretty much jack squat.

For instance, I'm on malifocent in kingdom hearts 1.5 on proud mode around level 44. Her dragon form is kicking my ass, so I figured I'd level up a few times.. But then I started thinking about how little my stats would change. Would that really make a difference? Is there some invisible stat changes? If your level up just gives you ap, is your character really no stronger?

Your abilities are tied to levels.

Tsunamo

The original Kingdom Hearts really depends on the choices you made early-game, it can really impact your stats and abilties depending on how you want to play (level up slow, fast, normally) but in general yeah it's more about abilities you get for leveling up i'd say.

Famassu

On the contrary, I actually think levels can matter quite a bit more than in a lot of other games. Sure, you might only get HP +2, but since Sora's max HP is a little over 100 instead of 9999, the game is balanced in a way that even a couple more HP more can often mean the difference between dying to some attack all the time and surviving long enough to have more of a chance of healing yourself. Like, imagine a scenario where a boss does three consecutive attacks that all deal 30 HPs of damage before calming down for a few seconds to let you attack or heal somewhat safely. If you have 90HP and are bad at dodging those attacks, then you'll die to the third attack (if you don't have certain abilities) each time you fail at dodging them. Level up and get a few more HP and those 3 attacks with their potential for 90HP damage will leave you alive with a few HP, long enough to heal every time the boss does that attack pattern, instead of instantly dying when you fail to dodge/block.

Similarly, while getting Strength +2 by getting a few levels might mean that a single attack only takes a little more HP from an enemy, a combo of 3-4 attacks takes 3-4 x that increase, which accumulates quite quickly to deal far more damage to an enemy than you could earlier. Now, let's imagine a situation where a boss has 400HP and 10 successful combos on your part can inflict 100HPs of damage. With Str +2 you cause a 8HP more damage with a single combo of 4 attacks, which means that instead of dealing 100HP of damage to a boss with 10 successful combos like without leveling, you can deal 180 with the same effort/attack success rate. That's almost double the attack potential. And that's not even taking into account an ability Critical Boost that will boost your attack potential even further.

Of course it being an action RPG means that there's some skill involved and if you suck or make no effort dodging & blocking enemies' attacks and timing your attacks, then of course a small increase in HP or strength doesn't matter and you mostly just have to get better.

Tsunamo

I wonder if Jump Festa will have a new trailer for 2.8 or if it'll be a good event/time to show that other trailer to the
Jump Festa
public

After what they did at D23 I'll keep my expectations in tight check until E3.

I know that many times stuff at the fan events remain exclusive but they literally hyped that particular event up for new info when it came to KH3 from like, April or something. Before the E3 trailer and all. And then we got zip. I still can't believe they didn't have a new world there but stealth announced ones at E3 and WD23 that had no anticipation for KH3 at all really.

Not that I have a problem with surprises.

Malyse

After what they did at D23 I'll keep my expectations in tight check until E3.

I know that many times stuff at the fan events remain exclusive but they literally hyped that particular event up for new info when it came to KH3 from like, April or something. Before the E3 trailer and all. And then we got zip. I still can't believe they didn't have a new world there but stealth announced ones at E3 and WD23 that had no anticipation for KH3 at all really.

Not that I have a problem with surprises.

We always have gotten public Jump Festa trailers.

They announced a trailer.

Neat! Didn't know that. Of course KH3 is burning in my mind but I can only hope we finally get a small glimpse of 0.2 gameplay unless it's the same trailer they had at D23.

Also would be very happy if they gave a release date for Japan so I could at least speculate when we would get it. But with 0.2 who knows what stage of development it is.

Malyse

Neat! Didn't know that. Of course KH3 is burning in my mind but I can only hope we finally get a small glimpse of 0.2 gameplay unless it's the same trailer they had at D23.

Also would be very happy if they gave a release date for Japan so I could at least speculate when we would get it. But with 0.2 who knows what stage of development it is.
It's not a KH3 trailer.

Famassu

If KH2.8 is released in the first half of 2016 (in Japan), then it could very well get a release date at Jump Festa. That said, I'm really not sure when to expect 2.8 to release at all.

On one hand, their late Spring/early Summer is kinda empty-ish from (even potential) releases so far while the second half/Fall of 2016 will seemingly have both DQXI & FFXV as well as other releases (Japanese and not). Also, 2.8 only has a single remaster that is from a game that is relatively light on content (for a KH game), so DDD's remastering can't be taking all that long.

On the other hand, they have a short story with cutscenes that have to be made from scratch (with Days & Coded, at least they had some of it already done though some maybe in need of HDfying) and a single world's worth of KHIII level stuff to develop for Aqua's episode. This also means they have to get the gameplay & tech-side up to a certain standard before they can release such a thing. Aqua's episode can't be as unfinished as Episode Duscae. It needs to feel much more finished & polished. So who knows if they are so far into development by mid-2016 that they could release something that doesn't severely disappoint people as a kind of first glimpse of what we can somewhat expect from KHIII.

TEJ

Does anybody know when the kh ios game is coming to america? It was supposed to be this year but the year is just about over without a single word of a set in stone date.

Does anybody know when the kh ios game is coming to america? It was supposed to be this year but the year is just about over without a single word of a set in stone date.

When the sun rises in the west and sets in the east. When the seas go dry and mountains blow in the wind like leaves.

So, uh... it looks like KH3D HD probably won't be getting new content:

http://www.khinsider.com/news/Game-...f-Kingdom-Hearts-2-8-with-Tetsuya-Nomura-6174

The relevant bits:

- Nomura describes Kingdom Hearts Dream Drop Distance HD as more than a simple port, and is more along the lines of a "remake".

- This is because of the change from dual screens on 3DS to one screen on Playstation 4.

- Nomura re-confirms that because of this they are unable to add in any brand-new elements and as such the game will remain primarily the same. However the gameplay of Dream Drop Distance is being reworked for the Playstation 4.

Welp. Should look nice in HD, anyhow.

Falk

that puzzling face
Yeh, the last thing the series needs are more contractual obligations that mess with future distribution models that don't currently exist.

Also Disney has been extra careful with celebs and representing celebs these past few decades after some sour notes with e.g. Robin Williams.

Famassu

Well, hopefully the game won't cost as much since there isn't any new content in DDD..... :/
DDD may not have new content, but they have had to rework a game with dual & touch screen functionalities to work on a platform with neither (though, the touchpad could probably work as a substitute) + they are making 100% new content for the two other titles included in the package, one being a whole KHIII quality world/level & the other a who-knows-how-long (short?) movie. Not to even mention it's a PS4 game which is still in a phase in its life where some mid-level retail releases are mostly sold for a slight premium instead of being priced as the kind of slightly cheaper products that they are.

Tsunamo

Well, hopefully the game won't cost as much since there isn't any new content in DDD..... :/
1.5 and 2.5 were priced pretty low and had some rediculous value for PS3 collections, so in hindsight you'd expect Square-Enix to go with a lower price tier for lack of content compared to the other collections.

However being Square-Enix i'd fully expect them to charge fullprice because it's on a newer system and the Square-Enix tax being in full effect. I dunno if it was the same for other countrys but the Australian price for FFX/FFX-2 HD was more than the PS3/Vita versions so going by that it wouldn't suprise me (then again though Type-0 was a lower price tier so maybe they're learning)

Golnei

I think justifying the pricing might come down to what A Fragmentary Passage contains. If buying the collection entitles you to all 8.6 of its major revisions, it could be invaluable as a look into KH3's development process over the next five years.

Still not sure if it'll justify the price of a full game, but I guess we'll just have to wait and see :] it will no doubt still be fun to play, especially since we're getting the set up for a major plot point with Aqua

Since KH1 is the greatest KH that ever was or will be I usually give a ton of shit to the other games. Days is one of the two games in the series (along with Coded) that I find kinda pointless. Usually I talk about how I would have improved the games but never about Days since the whole gameplay would need to be reworked but I found myself musing what kind of narrative Napalm Days would have had.

First off Xion would be totally scrapped. I don't hate the character but she/it is kinda pointless plot point after we already had Roxas do pretty much exact same character arc and purpose in KH2, the previous game!

Instead the game would be laser focused on the relationship between Axel and Roxas and that would get reworking as well. The Days Axel is pretty much the exact same guy we see in KH2. And what frustrates me is that the CoM Axel vanished into oblivion. Instead of the super adbrupt change Napalm Days would be a story how the CoM psycho asshole Axel turns into decent guy KH2 Axel.

At the start of the narrative Axel definately isn't Roxas's buddy. The Axel I imagine would want nothing to do with him. One thing I do kinda like in Days is the Lea+Isa scheming so that is the primary duo in the very beginning. Saix is the quiet thinker of the two while Axel is the sarcastic loudmouth who does the dirty work.

However since Axel literally is the hitman/assassin of the organization Xemnas personally puts him in charge of training Roxas to be a heartless killing machine. Instead of the instant buddy buddy Axel would be totally antagonistic for this kid who can't do anything right and he is stuck with him. The arc would be more like the one in KH1 where D+G being Sora's friends don't become a fact until the Hollow Bastion scene. Indeed there are a few points where Donald is openly against Sora.

What we get is the classic Buddy Cop format. Over the year Roxas becomes an actual force pretty much passing Axel. Also when he develops as a thinking character instead of just a Nobody he would get a sniff of something sinister Saix is up to and would have put a stop to him and Axel. Classic trope where Axel would have to choose a side in the end, being the final turning point from asshole Axel to good guy Axel. Maybe even have it be kinda ironic how Roxas is able to awaken more memories of him being a human than his actual old ex human friend Saix. Whatever this event might be pushes Roxas away from the Organization and ties into the flashback scenes from KH2.

This is just a little brainstorming I did for fun. Not to be taken too seriously ;).

Falk

that puzzling face
Versus 13 died for FF7 Remake sins

god, i'm so happy that battle system gets to see the light of day

What made Versus combat Versus wasn't as much the fluidity as it was the whole concept of being able to summon weapons out of thin air which opened up a lot of mechanics pertaining to combos. Kind of a lore-feeds-gameplay-feeds-lore thing.

(And character switching ehehehehe)

What made Versus combat Versus wasn't as much the fluidity as it was the whole concept of being able to summon weapons out of thin air which opened up a lot of mechanics pertaining to combos. Kind of a lore-feeds-gameplay-feeds-lore thing.

(And character switching ehehehehe)

yeah well like looks like it has character switching and just visually like Versus so it's good enough for me

Weiss

Banned
I dunno, I thought Days worked pretty well for what it set out to do, though the gameplay wasn't that great.

There was a lot of shtick about how Days didn't feature a lot about the Org. members, but that's the point. It's not an Org. game; it's a Roxas game, and I thought Xion was great because
she feels like a hilarious deconstruction of the kind of Mary Sue often seen in KH fanfics, and she highlights how there really is nothing better about the Org. and they're all heartless, murdering, sociopathic scumbags unlike what their fandom would have you believe.

And yeah it's filler, but at least it shed some light on this little prick we get saddled with for about 3 hours before we're allowed to start playing KH2. I honestly think watching the Days compilation before playing KH2 makes that game's story beats work a lot better.

And IIRC
Axel's reports flat out state that he's lying to Roxas at first and it takes a while before he actually genuinely believes that they're friends.

Top Bottom