• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kingdom Hearts Community Thread: Now everybody can be a Keyblade Wielder!

botty

Banned
I dunno, I thought Days worked pretty well for what it set out to do, though the gameplay wasn't that great.

There was a lot of shtick about how Days didn't feature a lot about the Org. members, but that's the point. It's not an Org. game; it's a Roxas game, and I thought Xion was great because
she feels like a hilarious deconstruction of the kind of Mary Sue often seen in KH fanfics, and she highlights how there really is nothing better about the Org. and they're all heartless, murdering, sociopathic scumbags unlike what their fandom would have you believe.

And yeah it's filler, but at least it shed some light on this little prick we get saddled with for about 3 hours before we're allowed to start playing KH2. I honestly think watching the Days compilation before playing KH2 makes that game's story beats work a lot better.

And IIRC
Axel's reports flat out state that he's lying to Roxas at first and it takes a while before he actually genuinely believes that they're friends.

and they're all heartless, murdering, sociopathic scumbags unlike what their fandom would have you believe.

?

KHIII is undoubtedly smaller scale than a potential full scale remake of the entirety of FFVII would be, so there isn't necessarily be a reason for it to go episodic. I don't really see it happening.

With that being said, the KH game structure lends itself to an episodic structure far better than FFVII would. In fact, I could see people actually supporting it (or at least moreso than how VIIr seems to be going over at the moment), since it would likely mean more focus on the Disney content.

Weiss

Banned

Organization XIII is one of gaming's biggest examples of the phenomenon of romanticizing the main villains and handwaving away their worst acts in the name of painting them as the true heroes.

Days makes it clear that they're all just a bunch of jerkbags.

botty

Banned
Coded did it

In a way, Coded invented episodic gaming.

Organization XIII is one of gaming's biggest examples of the phenomenon of romanticizing the main villains and handwaving away their worst acts in the name of painting them as the true heroes.

Days makes it clear that they're all just a bunch of jerkbags.

Here's my problem with Organization XIII... it's one of the most bipolar concepts in the series. Initially we are introduced to them as just some scheming group of villains (COM), then they are romanticized, like you said, in KH2-- with all their desires to just be human again, despite us being taught they have no true feelings. I think that KH2 found a sweet spot for them... they were heartless and misleading, for a goal invoked both empathy and disgust. But then we get to Dream Drop Distance, which almost makes the organization seem like a waste of time and effort... because "they had hearts after all-- and i was just manipulating them, evilhax."

Demise

If there's one Square series that's never going to get ported to PC, it's Kingdom Hearts.

Yes and the main reason why is Square Enix does not believe that there is a public for it on PC. According to them, PC players are (according to them) more into gritty "Gears of War" stuff or STR/MMORPG. Or at leat, that's what I heard. That's why there's testing the market recently and results were not that good. I think that's pretty stupid but I don't know if that would make sens €€€ wise.

Plus, let's not forget that Kingdom Hearts on PC (at least for 2 and 3, and I think Birth by Sleep) would be capped to 30fps since the whole game is synched at 30fps. Unless they put a lot of effort on it, wich I don't think they will do. On emulators, if you run the game at 60fps, the whole game is speed up 200%, wich kill cinematics and such.

Weiss

Banned
In a way, Coded invented episodic gaming.

Here's my problem with Organization XIII... it's one of the most bipolar concepts in the series. Initially we are introduced to them as just some scheming group of villains (COM), then they are romanticized, like you said, in KH2-- with all their desires to just be human again, despite us being taught they have no true feelings. I think that KH2 found a sweet spot for them... they were heartless and misleading, for a goal invoked both empathy and disgust. But then we get to Dream Drop Distance, which almost makes the organization seem like a waste of time and effort... because "they had hearts after all-- and i was just manipulating them, evilhax."

I was more referring to fan interpretation of them as sad, tragic woobies, and how the way they treat Xion the same way they insist everyone else treats them shows them to be the actual villains they really are.

But, yeah, I do actually like Nobodies being able to grow hearts as a concept, but it was ultimately kind of pointless to introduce that because by that point it just makes them all too sad and sympathetic, and most of them have been brought back fully human anyway. It narrows down their villainy into just being abused by Xemnas and Xigbar, and KH is really bad at tying every single villainous act back to Xehanort.

If turning into a Nobody gives you badass superpowers and then you get to grow a heart anyway, everyone should do it.

If turning into a Nobody gives you badass superpowers and then you get to grow a heart anyway, everyone should do it.

The way I like to interpret it is that becoming a nobody doesn't give you superpowers. KH is a world where magic and ridicilous fighting moves are available on ''normal'' persons as seen with Braig, D+G, all the FF characters, Merlin and even Sora after he loses the keyblade he still has powers. I'd imagine the reason all XIII members have powers (aside for convinient gameplay and plot reasons) is simply because only a being with a strong heart could achieve that level of skills in this universe and thus everyone who turn into human looking nobodies is likely to already have some power.

And of course most people turning into Nobodies would just turn into Dusks anyway.

Psxphile

Even in Squeenix's own stable The After Years predates Coded by almost a year.

0Z8WHn8.jpg

I'm still waiting, SE...

Famassu

I remember reading some pretty positive comments from Before Crisis. Too bad we'll never get to play it in any way or form in English, despite some talk in the past that they'd think about doing it somehow, IIRC.

Rise of the Tomb Raider sold less than either KH HD collection.

Clearly it's time to put Crystal Dynamics working on KH spinoff with KH1 esque dungeony designs and platforming elements.

YIKES

like, world-wide or in just one region? because that's gotta be bad.

In NA+Japan at least and most definately worldwide unless Tomb Raider is like, HUGE over here in mainland europe (unlike XBO).

I still have no fuckin clue how 2.5 managed to sell anything in NA considering the release date + PS3 exclusivity.

In NA+Japan at least and most definately worldwide unless Tomb Raider is like, HUGE over here in mainland europe (unlike XBO).

I still have no fuckin clue how 2.5 managed to sell anything in NA considering the release date + PS3 exclusivity.

kh2 too stronk

It deserved to sell well though, I can't think of many other HD collections with the sheer amount of value that 2.5 has aside from X/X-2 HD and maybe MGS HD. Glad people recognized that.

kh2 too stronk

It deserved to sell well though, I can't think of many other HD collections with the sheer amount of value that 2.5 has aside from X/X-2 HD and maybe MGS HD. Glad people recognized that.
The thing that surprised me is that it sold pretty much exactly the same numbers as 1.5 on first NPD month (no idea about lifetime sales).

Like, when 1.5 came out the PS3 was still sorta alive in the US. When 2.5 came out it was just after the PS3 numbers tanked.

I don't believe there is a huge popularity divide between 1 and 2. More people played 1 originally but the active hardcore slightly prefers KH2 AFAIK. So either they indeed saw a lot of value in the amount of content or my personal guess of bunch of people having the first chance to get BBS. Compared to Japan where 1.5 sold much better but over there people actually played BBS and especially BBSFM wasn't that old of a release.

The thing that surprised me is that it sold pretty much exactly the same numbers as 1.5 on first NPD month (no idea about lifetime sales).

Like, when 1.5 came out the PS3 was still sorta alive in the US. When 2.5 came out it was just after the PS3 numbers tanked.

I don't believe there is a huge popularity divide between 1 and 2. More people played 1 originally but the active hardcore slightly prefers KH2 AFAIK. So either they indeed saw a lot of value in the amount of content or my personal guess of bunch of people having the first chance to get BBS. Compared to Japan where 1.5 sold much better but over there people actually played BBS and especially BBSFM wasn't that old of a release.

I think either possibility is a win for the series, to be honest. One means people knew they were getting two quality Action RPGs with a ton of content and voted with their wallets accordingly, and the other means people were especially curious about Birth by Sleep and wanted to try it now that it was on consoles. (Would make sense for people that ducked out of the series directly after KH2; The secret movie was a walking advertisement for BBS)

I wonder how 2.8 is going to do. Is it going to ride on the tails of being a high profile RPG series coming to PS4? Is it going to use 0.2 to coast on KH3 hype? Should be interesting to watch unfold whenever it releases.

2.8 numbers will be very interesting indeed. DDD is the worst selling ''big game'' in the series so the collection will have the most new content for people releasing on the leading platform of the generation.

But on the other hand there isn't any connection on the games really, the element I suspect was mostly behind the 1.5 sales considering very few actually cared about CoM. And so far the messaging about 0.2 is really bad if they want it to be another Duscae hook. But it's too early to say since there will probably be at least 2 trailers coming out before the release looms.

Also when looking at the names themselves many people will probably be driven away. 1.5 had KH1 and 2.5 had KH2, very simple. 2.8 has this weird circus of titles only hardcore fans really know.

edit: dunno why it doubleposted instead of edit :(((

Top Bottom