• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kingdom Hearts Community Thread: Now everybody can be a Keyblade Wielder!

I'm sorta lukewarm on 2.8 right now. I'll buy it day 1 no question but DDD isn't exactly my favourite and I feel like it's long ways off, September earliest in the west. I would be pretty pumped if they had a surprise at Jump Festa like, April worldwide or something.

Weiss

Banned
Unless DDD has at least some tweaks to the worst aspects of it, I probably won't pick up 2.8

If they ironed out the kinks it'd be a way better game.

Psxphile

Honestly... now that they've pretty much confirmed there won't be much of anything added to DDD beyond the remastering, A Fragmented Passage is the only reason I would want to buy 2.8.

Weiss

Banned
Honestly... now that they've pretty much confirmed there won't be much of anything added to DDD beyond the remastering, A Fragmented Passage is the only reason I would want to buy 2.8.

It just strikes me as so simple. Give more time between Drops and turn it off during bosses, and make it easier to unlock abilities from Dream Eaters. That's really all you need to take care of some of the really obvious flaws.

I'll probably get it regardless of the lack of new content just because I can't resist another shiny HD KH game (Seriously the pre-KHIII/0.2 games scale so fucking well to HD) I eat up KH games like candy anyway. As much shit as I give a lot of the games, I almost never skip out on an entry. (Only chi, and that's only because it's logistically easier for me to read summaries about it.

I'll probably import 2.8 so I can play it ASAP, bitch about stuff I don't like about it, and proceed to pre-order the English release.

After a long hiatus I returned to Re:CoM to finish the platinum run I started over 2 years ago. Shouldn't be too bad I thought, already 2 playtroughs behind, only the 100% thing to go.

Little did I know about these drop rates on enemy cards.

5luiFuD.gif

I would have abandoned this shit if it wasn't KH ._.

Tsunamo

Is it bad i'm not too interested in 3 footage at the moment? I'm far more interested in seeing Aqua gameplay and how they work KH3's battlesystem with a character that was previously played with the command deck system in Birth By Sleep i'm used to.

Witht that said though Yen Sids Tower looks fantastic in the 3 engine, like something out of Disney World.
I'll probably import 2.8 so I can play it ASAP, bitch about stuff I don't like about it, and proceed to pre-order the English release.
That is what I like to call the Kingdom Hearts cycle.
And I do it every installment and love every minute of it

If you count 2.5 copys I own Birth By Sleep five times now. I need help.
After a long hiatus I returned to Re:CoM to finish the platinum run I started over 2 years ago. Shouldn't be too bad I thought, already 2 playtroughs behind, only the 100% thing to go.

Platinuming Re:CoM is the moment you know you've truly lost your sanity.

DKHF

It probably won't happen but how do you guys think the internet would respond if Sora won the Smash ballot? I'm guessing a lot of anger from hardcore Nintendo fans.

Golnei

It probably won't happen but how do you guys think the internet would respond if Sora won the Smash ballet? I'm guessing a lot of anger from hardcore Nintendo fans.

Before Cloud was announced, I think far more people were willing to entertain the possibility, even considering the legal issues. The ballot is a suggestion box that can't really be won (and may not actually affect the remaining DLC characters) - but since any remaining DLC newcomers (if there even are any) are likely to be third-party, I don't think Sora would garner more rage than Miku, Steve or Marie Rose if he were somehow chosen.

DKHF

Before Cloud was announced, I think far more people were willing to entertain the possibility, even considering the legal issues. The ballot is a suggestion box that can't really be won (and may not actually affect the remaining DLC characters) - but since any remaining DLC newcomers (if there even are any) are likely to be third-party, I don't think Sora would garner more rage than Miku, Steve or Marie Rose if he were somehow chosen.
Judging by a lot of polls from the time of the ballot it seems he wasn't as popular as Shantae, King K. Rool, Wonder Red and others. I've just seen his name mentioned a lot and thought he might have a chance but now it seems less likely considering those polls.

botty

Banned
It probably won't happen but how do you guys think the internet would respond if Sora won the Smash ballot? I'm guessing a lot of anger from hardcore Nintendo fans.

Well the smash fan base is predominantly whiney man-children, which is ironically the assumed fan base of Kingdom Hearts fans. So either everyone will rejoice, or there will be pitchforks and rants about why a star-puppet thing from a 90s RPG had his spot stolen by the infinitely more relevant main protagonist of Kingdom Hearts.

5luiFuD.gif

Days would never do this to us. Days didn't do this to us.

5luiFuD.gif

I really should play RE:Com... but god that card shit..

actually speaking of smash can i ask one of you guys a favor? can one of you PM the direct youtube link when it's done, i won't be able to watch it live and i don't want to spoil my self

zeemumu

On the last day of class my professor saw the keyblade that i wear around my neck and asked where it's from. I told him and now he's gonna try kingdom hearts, starting with 1.5. I hope his opinion doesn't affect my grade on the final.

aravuus

On the last day of class my professor saw the keyblade that i wear around my neck and asked where it's from. I told him and now he's gonna try kingdom hearts, starting with 1.5. I hope his opinion doesn't affect my grade on the final.

What if he loves it and gives you the highest grade possible?

aravuus

"Zeemumu, I know you did well on your test and whatever, but I just finished KH2 and if you don't tell me what the FUCK is going with the story, I'm afraid I'm gonna have to give you an F"

Hachitora

"Zeemumu, I know you did well on your test and whatever, but I just finished KH2 and if you don't tell me what the FUCK is going with the story, I'm afraid I'm gonna have to give you an F"

KH2's confusing plot would get a C or something at worst. Dream Drop Distance, however...

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
I wonder... Why is Hikari/Simple and Clean featured in more KH games than Passion/Sanctuary? Or maybe I just don't hear it enough? I only heard Sanctuary in KHII, but I've heard Hikari (remixes and orchestral versions) in KHI, BBS, 3D, and the very first trailer of KHIII.

zeemumu

I wonder... Why is Hikari/Simple and Clean featured in more KH games than Passion/Sanctuary? Or maybe I just don't hear it enough? I only heard Sanctuary in KHII, but I've heard Hikari (remixes and orchestral versions) in KHI, BBS, 3D, and the very first trailer of KHIII.

I assume new songs are only for numbered main titles.

StoneFox

Sanctuary was owned by The Island Def Jam Music Group so there was probably a money or contract reason why they didn't use Sanctuary as much as Hikari or Simple and Clean.

botty

Banned

Hikari -> Sora
Passion -> Roxas

aysetv.gif

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Sanctuary was owned by The Island Def Jam Music Group so there was probably a money or contract reason why they didn't use Sanctuary as much as Hikari or Simple and Clean.

Interesting. Though Hikari is more iconic and catchier IMO.

I wonder if they'll pull in Utada Hikaru for KHIII...

ULTROS!

Also when looking at the names themselves many people will probably be driven away. 1.5 had KH1 and 2.5 had KH2, very simple. 2.8 has this weird circus of titles only hardcore fans really know.

2.8 is probably the least substantial HD collection out there. I hope it actually sells well because it only contains one full game but it's relatively the shortest KH game I've played (I didn't play CoM, Re:coded and 358/2 Days), compared to I.5 and II.5, two full games.

sasuke_91

Sanctuary was in 358/2 Days as well, but yeah... way more Hikari.

I can't really blame them. It's like that song was designed to invoke a sense of nostalgia for things you didn't even know you had nostalgia for.

Napalm_Frank presents: Neogaf KH community EXCLUSIVE REVIEW:

Kingdom Hearts Re:Chain of Memories Trophy list!

So I finally platinumed the game and it was easily the worst platinum I have done thus far (and probably in the future too), no contest. And hell, I had 2+ years to do it. I'm not a huge trophy nut but I do like to platinum/100% the games I like unless it's something totally ridicilous. Even before 1.5 released I knew I ''had'' to get all the trophies for the series. 1, 2 and BBS were no problem really despite 1 requiring 3 separate runs (I actually liked to speedrun the game, didn't hate a single trophy but then again I'm a KH1 freak) and a bit of minigame grinding in BBS. They were fine and I enjoyed my time platinuming them.

Not so much Re:CoM. It was a fuckin slog and I'm one of those dudes who actually like both CoM games. Greg Miller and Colin Moriarty have joked before that companies should hire trophy consultants to check their trophy lists just in case of stinkers like Re:CoM.

Now, there are tons of games with horrible trophies in them but there are 2 reasons why I thought I needed to bring this up specifically.

1: The remaster was done by Osaka, perhaps including even same people that worked on the original. This was their first KH game so they should have known what they were doing.
2: This has to be the only game in 2013+ where the trophy support was heavily used in marketing. Like it was supposed to be a big deal. Welcome to 2009 or whatever. If you do that at least have some standards designing your trophies.

So let's check out the trophies. I'll skip all the story related ones since they make total sense and are completely harmless. Other trophies that are harmless or actually good include all the minigame ones (makes sense and they are not bad), all sleights/max AP (makes sense/whatever), journal entries and other stuff you most likely get on a normal playtrough ect.

The only one that I'm torn on is Card Master Sora where you need to collect all the cards. The enemy cards are a fuckin grind with horrible drop rates... but it makes perfect sense to have this trophy. Platinum should always require some sort of mastery or completionist element to it and despite being really annoying I'll have to give it a pass. It's more about the game desing than throphy design.

That said let's dive right in to the bad stuff.

First off the difficulty trophies not stacking. Big problem right at the beginning. CoM is not a game that is fun for repeated playtroughs. And the game is terrible for speedrunning, lot's of loading, menus, boring rooms, RNG for room cards. All they needed to have is stackable trophies for this and we would have been off to a good start.

Second, the no deaths trophy. This one is kinda bad but relatively harmless in context of having to beat it on beginner anyway. The game has save points available pretty much any time you'd need them and death on beginner is a rare occurence anyway. Still on a game that you can just savescum it and that takes multiple hours to complete it's just a stupid thing to have. All it does is make you reload a save instead of using continue. This trophy serves only to annoy people and make no difference when it comes to the gameplay.

Third, the synthesize 300 rooms trophy. This serves no fuckin purpose other than add another pointless grind. Now when you reach level 99 you probably are very close to getting it anyway and you can easily just go back and forth two rooms to get it but there is no fuckin reason to have this trophy at all. Totally pointless.

Fourth, edit a deck 500 times. Another what the fuck trophy. There is NO WAY anybody in this planet is going to do this naturally. Another pointless ''grind'' cause we didn't have enough. Like, 500? Who the hell thought that would be a good number. Totally pointless garbage.

Fifth, the worst offender, level 99 for both characters. Holy shit this was a terrible grind considering I started it just after finally collecting all the cards. The biggest two reasons this is bullshit are that the leveling is pretty slow in this game and that the levels serve no purpose at all after like, 65 or something for Sora and 45 for Riku. There is zero content in the game that requires you to level up after you have beaten the final bosses. In the other games at least the leveling was way faster and served the purpose of powering your character for additional content. Without having podcasts ect. to listen to while doing this I would have abandoned it. Card Master was the only grind this game needed since at least having a complete set of the cards is a fitting goal. High levels serve no purpose whatsoever, you don't even get any cool shit for it.

Final Verdict for Re:CoM trophy list is 358/2 out of 1. Huge respect to Seda and whoever else had the patience to do it when it released.

why would you play RE:CoM more than once

love yourself Napalm

congrats on the plat though, I only have one plat and it's for inFamous 2.
After this I'm not gonna fret about trophies until 2.8 hits.

Jokes on me doe, I could have grinded a level per day from now and still would be waiting for 2.8.

Andrefpvs

It took me a year to plat Re:CoM. I just couldn't grind more than a level or two per every time I booted up the game. It was so dull.

I have Riku's attack sounds burned in my miiii

Speaking of 2.8, what are the worst possible trophies they could include for DDD? :p

Flowmotion Lover: Use Flowmotion 723 times

Dream Eater Master: Collect all Dream eaters

Dream Eater Champion: Fully level every Dream eater

Dropper: Drop 627 times

Dream Eater fashionista: change the color of a dream eater 338 times

Top Bottom