• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kingdom Hearts Community Thread: Now everybody can be a Keyblade Wielder!

botty

Banned
I'd rank BBS above KH1 and probably above or on par with DDD.

Really? I feel like BBS's opening relies too heavily on the BBS secret movie.. think it makes up 70% of the overall opening. Hard not to rank KH1's high, though--the imagery and symbolism in it is consistently repeated in all of the other openings.

Really? I feel like BBS's opening relies too heavily on the BBS secret movie.. think it makes up 70% of the overall opening. Hard not to rank KH1's high, though--the imagery and symbolism in it is consistently repeated in all of the other openings.

IMO KH1 opening is kinda boring. Though i agree that BBS's one relies too much on the secret ending, it's still quite powerful and uses Simple and clean in a better way. Also, the scenes from the secret ending are quite raw, something the other games really didn't have, and the contrast is really interesting. (Full frozen Ventus is still nightmarish af). Helps in defining BBS as this sad, depressive story about 3 people who lost everything to darkness.

zeemumu

Oh you meant the openings. Sorry, I thought you were talking about the games themselves.

For the openings I'd go DDD>KH2>0.2>BBS=KH1>358/2>everything else.

zeemumu

Once Upon a Time spoilers

The most recent episode was called "Heartless" and the twist at the end is that Snow and Charming are trapped withing the Drop mechanic from DDD.

They need to stop taunting me and just make Sora or the keyblade show up.

Oh you meant the openings. Sorry, I thought you were talking about the games themselves.

For the openings I'd go DDD>KH2>0.2>BBS=KH1>358/2>everything else.

My feelings on this are pretty close, but I've got to rank KH2 and 0.2 above DDD because they're not so busy; DDD's opening just has way too much shit going on (basically trying to do for like eight games what KH2's opening did for two), whereas 0.2 and KH2 don't have too too much story material to sum up and they can focus on the emotional side of things. DDD, for me, is roughly equivalent to KH1 but coming from a very different direction (KH1's is very abstract, DDD is basically an extremely dense summary of the story so far). And yeah, BBS ain't great and 358/2 Days is just sort of a non-opening.

Also: BBS and DDD's ending stuff was fine, but I really really hope KH3 has a secret FMV ending again to tease whatever the hell is coming next for the series. It's time.

I mean, it has to. The only hope is that there's no stupid hoopage like in 3D

If there's anyone being set up as the Big Bad after Xehanort, it's probably... Vanitas, I guess? Or would it be someone completely new?

After the fact that nobody really saw the Xehanort-possession thing coming even after all of the visual hints in BBS (especially Braig's eyes changing color and his ears becoming pointy) gives me a lot of doubts - Nomura really enjoys hiding shit in plain sight like that.

Malyse

If there's anyone being set up as the Big Bad after Xehanort, it's probably... Vanitas, I guess? Or would it be someone completely new?

After the fact that nobody really saw the Xehanort-possession thing coming even after all of the visual hints in BBS (especially Braig's eyes changing color and his ears becoming pointy) gives me a lot of doubts - Nomura really enjoys hiding shit in plain sight like that.

I don't assume that everything with the Foretellers will be settled in KH3. Spoilers for [chi]
The last thing that happened in [chi] was the player character was tossed forward into present day, which allows them a way to keep the game going for many years.

KH3 is the culmination of the Dark Seeker trilogy, but [chi] basically has nothing to do with Xehanort. I think that's your set up right there.

Famassu

I'm wondering if there's just going to be some kind of massive shift in the status quo and that itself will somewhat naturally lead to some new villain(s) due to what it entails. It'll be lame if all that happens in KHIII is that Xehanort is finally, completely dead. I hope he actually manages to do something big (like.. KH's version of World of Ruin level successfulness in Xehanort's part and only after that will Sora & gang defeat him). Maybe reconnecting worlds again?

I don't assume that everything with the Foretellers will be settled in KH3. Spoilers for [chi]
The last thing that happened in [chi] was the player character was tossed forward into present day, which allows them a way to keep the game going for many years.

KH3 is the culmination of the Dark Seeker trilogy, but [chi] basically has nothing to do with Xehanort. I think that's your set up right there.
Nomura has said Chi ties directly to KHIII (and we've already gotten confirmation of Daybreak Town in KHIII). Even if we have very little idea how yet, Chi is still very much connected to KHIII and thus Xehanort.

I'm wondering if there's just going to be some kind of massive shift in the status quo and that itself will somewhat naturally lead to some new villain(s) due to what it entails. It'll be lame if all that happens in KHIII is that Xehanort is finally, completely dead. I hope he actually manages to do something big (like.. KH's version of World of Ruin level successfulness in Xehanort's part and only after that will Sora & gang defeat him). Maybe reconnecting worlds again?

I can't see all of the Disney worlds getting connected to each other geographically *ever* in the series, though it'd be cool to have Traverse Town, Twilight Down, Daybreak Town, Radiant Garden, the Mysterious Tower, Land of Departure, Destiny Islands, and the Keyblade Graveyard merged together into one giant-ass home world you can roam around. But merging all of the Disney worlds would probably lead to complications with the already complex Kingdom Hearts copyright lawyering, make it harder to introduce new worlds into the series in the future, et cetera et cetera.

But yeah, I wouldn't be surprised to see some sort of big shift in the status quo. I don't think Xehanort will die per se, by the way, even if his story is concluded. Death is basically against the rules in Kingdom Hearts, as far as I can tell. But I think we'll finally, actually get to see the real Kingdom Hearts in KH3 and that'll obviously be a very big deal (with the potential for basically a universe reset, given what the mythology has told us about it).

Malyse

Nomura has said Chi ties directly to KHIII (and we've already gotten confirmation of Daybreak Town in KHIII). Even if we have very little idea how yet, Chi is still very much connected to KHIII and thus Xehanort.

[chi] is also virtually completed. Season 2 is what I'm mainly talking about: that doesn't have to do with Xehanort necessarily. All the post war stuff can set up KH4 and beyond.
I can't see all of the Disney worlds getting connected to each other geographically *ever* in the series, though it'd be cool to have Traverse Town, Twilight Down, Daybreak Town, Radiant Garden, the Mysterious Tower, Land of Departure, Destiny Islands, and the Keyblade Graveyard merged together into one giant-ass home world you can roam around. But merging all of the Disney worlds would probably lead to complications with the already complex Kingdom Hearts copyright lawyering, make it harder to introduce new worlds into the series in the future, et cetera et cetera.

But yeah, I wouldn't be surprised to see some sort of big shift in the status quo. I don't think Xehanort will die per se, by the way, even if his story is concluded. Death is basically against the rules in Kingdom Hearts, as far as I can tell. But I think we'll finally, actually get to see the real Kingdom Hearts in KH3 and that'll obviously be a very big deal (with the potential for basically a universe reset, given what the mythology has told us about it).

But they are connected.

Three years ago, Elsa and Anna's parents sailed off to a wedding (Flynn Ryder and Rapunzel's wedding) and they died at sea. (Frozen came out almost exactly three years after Tangled did.) Their shipwreck is the one that Ariel explored in The Little Mermaid. It even makes sense geographically! The producers of Frozen started a whole lot of buzz when a fan asked them on Reddit if the Little Mermaid/Frozen/Tangled theory was true. Their response? That the Arrendelle king and queen didn't die in the wreck, but actually escaped to an island, had a son, and were killed by a leopard. That means that Elsa and Anna's parents survived the wreck, lived in the jungle, and had another son (TARZAN!) who was later raised by gorillas. The king of Arrendelle is actually Rapunzel's uncle and magic only affects blonde children in the family. Baby Rapunzel and Elsa were both blonde. If Elsa's dad was Rapunzel's mom's brother, then it would explain why he would want to hide Elsa's powers. (His niece was kidnapped for her powers after all, by Mother Gothel!) Since both of these magical girls are blonde, it makes sense to say that magic has to do with a blonde trait. (Anna didn't get any powers.) Jane from Tarzan is actually Belle and Beast's granddaughter. Jane could understand Tarzan, who was kind of animal-like or beast-like, just as well as Belle understood Beast. Also, it would totally explain why these plates could be seen at her campsite:
dc7.png

#itsallconnected

[chi] is also virtually completed. Season 2 is what I'm mainly talking about: that doesn't have to do with Xehanort necessarily. All the post war stuff can set up KH4 and beyond.

I suppose it comes down to whether Squeenix keeps the game going *after* KH3 comes out.

But yeah, if there's a hint about where KH4's plot is going to come from (or, realistically, the 8 intermediary games between KH3 and KH4), it's gonna be the Forerunner stuff and, maybe, Vanitas.

Malyse

I suppose it comes down to whether Squeenix keeps the game going *after* KH3 comes out.

But yeah, if there's a hint about where KH4's plot is going to come from (or, realistically, the 8 intermediary games between KH3 and KH4), it's gonna be the Forerunner stuff and, maybe, Vanitas.
You mean Foretellers. We ain't halo now.

Given Xehanort's goat-head keyblade, it seems reasonably obvious that it's the sixth apprentice turning the other five against each other and none of them is a traitor, no?

zeemumu

I think the hidden apprentice just peaced out and the others' greatest enemies are themselves. The definition of "traitor" in the Kingdom Hearts series is incredibly broad.

Just realized there's background vocals on Ray of hope's simple and clean remix, they are pretty noticeable in the last verse.

Sounds so good.

Vic_Viper

How is the BBS HD port in 2.5? Been replaying Crisis Core and was thinking about BBS. Never got around to playing it in PSP and going to skip the PS3 version since there's now a PS4 port coming.

Are there any new changes to any of the games for the PS4 version other than 60fps? Did they ever add right analog stick camera controls to KH1?

Famassu

How is the BBS HD port in 2.5? Been replaying Crisis Core and was thinking about BBS. Never got around to playing it in PSP and going to skip the PS3 version since there's now a PS4 port coming.

Are there any new changes to any of the games for the PS4 version other than 60fps? Did they ever add right analog stick camera controls to KH1?
It's as great a port as the rest of the KH ports. I mean, it's clearly a portable game which seems to bother some people when they play it on the big screen, but it's as good a port one could hope for, apart from missing the ok-ish coop arena battle mode.

KH1 did have camera control moved to the right stick in 1.5, IIRC, yes.

KH1.5 for PS3 already added right analog stick camera controls to KH1, as well as adding the Exp 0 and Combo Master abilities (given that KH1FM adds some powerful new combo finishers, Combo Master actually makes a big difference in things like the Coliseum challenges).

I'm still hoping for KH1 to get a fourth spell shortcut, though - Aero and Cure are basically necessary by default, so with only three shortcuts you've got to make a hard choice about one single offensive spell to have ready to go (I usually go with Thunder for mobs, Gravity for bosses, but having Fire or Blizzard ready to go as a utility spell would be super handy; fuck Stop, obviously).

Stop just isn't satisfying to use when hitstun is a thing.

It's at least got some real utility to it in Re:Chain of Memories, and it at least looks reasonably cool in BBS/DDD when all of the hits an enemy takes get stacked at the end of the spell, but in KH1 all it really does is make you waste time whacking enemies that are already dead. KH2's Magnet was a much much better enemy-stunner with none of the disadvantages of Stop.

Vic_Viper

I get that it's a portable game on a console. I didn't mind it when they ported Peace Walker to PS3 at all, so I hope it's close to that. Really want to play it now but being able to play on PS4 with 60 fps would be soo much better. Although once XV is out it won't matter so much.

From official KH website:

FIu5RIr.png

It's almost as if something doesn't quite belong.
Especially since it links straight to ROTTR stuff, a PEGI 18 game.

If Marvel can be considered a shoe-in, why not Lara?

It certainly would have the same ''wow'' effect as Pirates and Tron did with KH2. I actually think Lara could be a pretty cool cameo. I mean, we got TWEWY so all bets are off on Square side.

And it blows my mind that the gap between Tomb Raider 1 and Kingdom Hearts 1 is only 5 years. Man 3D games evolved fast.

MrDenny

Hello,

We have received new release date information related to your pre-ordered video game in the order you placed on January 25, 2015. The release date for the video game listed below has been changed by the publisher, and we want to provide you with a new delivery estimate based on the new release date:

"Kingdom Hearts III - PlayStation 4"
Estimated arrival date: January 04, 2018 - January 06, 2018
Email I just received from amazon out of the blue.

StoneFox

All those screenshots and renders are copyright Disney and yet people still argue that Disney doesn't own the property. :p

I kinda like the darker blue on Aqua's hair.

Top Bottom