• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kingdom Hearts Community Thread: Now everybody can be a Keyblade Wielder!

I figured I'd be saving most of that stuff for later, but I wanted to know regardless.

How is it possible to clear the game at level 1?
KH2 uses the Bonus Level system, which gives you most important abilities without the need to level up. The things you get by levelling up are mostly buffs.
Also, the game has minimum and maximum damage caps, so even at lv1 you still deal good damage to endgame bosses. Plus, starting the game on Critical Mode gives you a ton of great abilities plus 50AP.

KH2 uses the Bonus Level system, which gives you most important abilities without the need to level up. The things you get by levelling up are mostly buffs.
Also, the game has minimum and maximum damage caps, so even at lv1 you still deal good damage to endgame bosses. Plus, starting the game on Critical Mode gives you a ton of great abilities plus 50AP.

I think the Bonus Level system is one of the smarter things KH has come up with and I hope KH3 doubles down on it extra hard. Tying ability acquisition completely to story and sidequest progress and making leveling just about stats works really well, IMO, even if I also love KH1's sword/shield/staff choice for other reasons.

I'd love to see KH3 reintroduce the way KH1 gated certain ability upgrades (specifically, spell upgrades) behind sidequests. KH2 attached some bonus level upgrades to optional bosses, and I'm into that; also, obviously each keyblade contains a passive ability and that includes the optional ones.

I kinda hope KH3's equipment system gets simplified and made more similar to the excellent one from Re:Coded, though. I don't think accessories or armors add a lot to the game (nor, to be honest, does having to budget your passive abilities with AP), but I love how Re:Coded took KH2's concept that every keyblade should have some unique advantages and ran with it so each one almost feels like equipping a different job. That (as well as differences in length/crit/interrupt and stuff) is way more interesting than different levels of strength/magic in the keyblade, IMO. Leave the stat boosts to leveling, please.

I think the Bonus Level system is one of the smarter things KH has come up with and I hope KH3 doubles down on it extra hard. Tying ability acquisition completely to story and sidequest progress and making leveling just about stats works really well, IMO, even if I also love KH1's sword/shield/staff choice for other reasons.
Yes, it turned level grinding into a simple tool to allow you more mistakes (through stats and buffs) instead of a way to unlock important abilities and that works very well.

I'd love to see KH3 reintroduce the way KH1 gated certain ability upgrades (specifically, spell upgrades) behind sidequests. KH2 attached some bonus level upgrades to optional bosses, and I'm into that; also, obviously each keyblade contains a passive ability and that includes the optional ones.

I kinda hope KH3's equipment system gets simplified and made more similar to the excellent one from Re:Coded, though. I don't think accessories or armors add a lot to the game (nor, to be honest, does having to budget your passive abilities with AP), but I love how Re:Coded took KH2's concept that every keyblade should have some unique advantages and ran with it so each one almost feels like equipping a different job. That (as well as differences in length/crit/interrupt and stuff) is way more interesting than different levels of strength/magic in the keyblade, IMO. Leave the stat boosts to leveling, please.
I agree completely. KH2's keychains having different abilities was so great because depending on your playstyle even an early game one could be relevant. Though in the end everyone just used Holy Pumpkin and Hero's Crest haha
Compare that with BBS's utterly boring keyblades just having more attack power.

I also loved how Days's keyblades all had different movesets and panel shapes. The panel system was so cool, I wish they brought it back...

zeemumu

Kingdom Hearts Funko Pops are comin' (possibly). Depends on the legitimacy of this leak

tumblr_oi7iaxHuK11qkicnko1_500.jpg

Aquova

Kingdom Hearts Funko Pops are comin' (possibly). Depends on the legitimacy of this leak

I like Funko Pops, and I've been waiting for a character I actually like to get one. If they make a Sora or Kairi one, I'd totally get one. I can't help but notice that only Disney characters are listed there though. I wonder if there's a licensing issue with Square Enix that makes it easier to just do Donald and Goofy.

Malyse

I like Funko Pops, and I've been waiting for a character I actually like to get one. If they make a Sora or Kairi one, I'd totally get one. I can't help but notice that only Disney characters are listed there though. I wonder if there's a licensing issue with Square Enix that makes it easier to just do Donald and Goofy.

Why would Disney need to license something that they own?

Aquova

Why would Disney need to license something that they own?

Do Disney own the Kingdom Hearts characters? I've never been clear on if Square Enix owns them or Disney. Apart from Sora's keyblade in Infinity, I've never seen anything KH appear in something solely done by Disney.

Azuran

Banned
Do Disney own the Kingdom Hearts characters? I've never been clear on if Square Enix owns them or Disney. Apart from Sora's keyblade in Infinity, I've never seen anything KH appear in something solely done by Disney.

Yes, they're owned by Disney. It's assume that was part of the deal when Square came to them for the series to exist.

If you want proof, check the back of the cases. Disney is the only one that's credited under the copyright:

Aizo

Banned
Is there any definitive word on whether I.5 + II.5 on PS4 will allow the recovery of the PS3 save files? It seems like a really obvious thing for them to do... and yet I highly doubt they will. It's something that would push me from "I don't think it's a good idea to buy these again" to "Oh, I can play all these in 60FPS now, so of course!"

Malyse

Is there any definitive word on whether I.5 + II.5 on PS4 will allow the recovery of the PS3 save files? It seems like a really obvious thing for them to do... and yet I highly doubt they will. It's something that would push me from "I don't think it's a good idea to buy these again" to "Oh, I can play all these in 60FPS now, so of course!"

Why on Earth would they do that? You expect them to make things easy for you? LOLOLOLOLOLOL
I don't even expect them to fix the difficulty stacking trophies in I.5
Enjoy playing Re:CoM over and over for them trophies!

Yes, they're owned by Disney. It's assume that was part of the deal when Square came to them for the series to exist.

If you want proof, check the back of the cases. Disney is the only one that's credited under the copyright:

A more recent example is Sora in WoFF. Despite being a Square Enix game, the champion medal shows Sora is under Disney's copyright:

Sora_WoFF_Champion_Summon.png

StoneFox

Pretty much any official screenshot or trailer from a Kingdom Hearts game has the credit given to Disney with sometimes "Developed by Square Enix" attached to it. Disney owns Kingdom Hearts, but they never really acknowledge it in their parks or merchandise. I want some official KH merch or an attraction :(

It would be really cool to see Disney's animation studio do a KH movie. I'd watch it. :p

Malyse

I can name one thing Disney fans didn't buy.

I know you aren't referring to the best selling toys to life game Disney Infinity. It outsold Skylanders and Lego Dimensions quite easily; the reason it was cancelled was because it had a lower ROI than licensed games, which is quite obvious when you think about it. But then again, I know that thinking isn't one of your strongest points so it's not a shock that you're confused.

I know you aren't referring to the best selling toys to life game Disney Infinity. It outsold Skylanders and Lego Dimensions quite easily; the reason it was cancelled was because it had a lower ROI than licensed games, which is quite obvious when you think about it. But then again, I know that thinking isn't one of your strongest points so it's not a shock that you're confused.
...that escalated quickly

botty

Banned

Unfounded lies. You do know Skylanders is one of the best selling game franchises of all time, right? Disney Infinity sold a couple of toys and then when everyone stopped caring for it, it went away as I predicted it would.

You must stay out of election threads.

Don't be petty. I've just been really good at forecasting.

But to stay on topic...

I wonder if everyone likes the cinematic transitions that we're going to get with 2.8 and 3. Feels very Naughty Dog.

2.8 finally added to EU PSN, was getting a little worried. Interestingly enough seems that the physical version is only 45€ over here compared to 59€ digital.

Aquova

2.8 finally added to EU PSN, was getting a little worried. Interestingly enough seems that the physical version is only 45€ over here compared to 59€ digital.

Can someone explain to me why companies do this? I've never understood why you see digital versions costing more than physical copies. You would think it's in the best interest of Square Enix to incentivize digital copies because

1) The profits are split only between Square Enix and Sony, you don't have to share with GameStop or whomever.

2) You don't have to pay for manufacturing/shipping of discs

If anything, I would think companies would promote digital copies, rather than charging more for them.

Can someone explain to me why companies do this? I've never understood why you see digital versions costing more than physical copies. You would think it's in the best interest of Square Enix to incentivize digital copies because

1) The profits are split only between Square Enix and Sony, you don't have to share with GameStop or whomever.

2) You don't have to pay for manufacturing/shipping of discs

If anything, I would think companies would promote digital copies, rather than charging more for them.

59 would be the RRP, retailer obviously get the games at a discounted rate so they price it cheaper to get people to order from them since more sales means more profit. There's no incentive to price cheaper on digital, despite it most likely costing them less, there's no competition. I don't know why they don't just decrease the RRP(Probably due to it being easier to market pre-orders - [save 20% if you pre-order now!]) or make digital prices cheaper - IF IIRC some publishers did start doing this at the end of last gen, but even then they were more expensive than retail .

Tsunamo

$84.95 here in Aus digitally, and $80 for retail, but not too many publishers care much about proper price conversions here even though they're usually accurate to the RRP.

Retailers will cut that down launch/post-launch here easy though when the pricewars and bargain bin sales begin though.

Can't find it on the UK PSN store. Is there something specific I need to search for?

For some reason it isn't live on the UK store yet.

Is there an error with the preorder though? I've seen reports that people who preordered haven't been able to download the theme.

For some reason it isn't live on the UK store yet.

Is there an error with the preorder though? I've seen reports that people who preordered haven't been able to download the theme.

AFAIK many times on EU store you can download the bonus stuff like themes ect only when the game becomes available.

zeemumu

Watching TeamFourStar play through Kingdom Hearts 2 makes me want to go back and play it again since I've only finished the standard game and not the Final Mix. I know about all of the extra stuff but I didn't complete my playthrough of the Final Mix version.

I managed to beat Vexen's absent silhouette at level 43 or so, using the pumpkin key blade and limit form. It took a few tries, but I got that bastard. I also tried Marluxia, but when he creates those three pits I can't seem to escape the thorn spell without getting insta-killed. Is there a way to counter that without the glide ability?

I managed to beat Vexen's absent silhouette at level 43 or so, using the pumpkin key blade and limit form. It took a few tries, but I got that bastard. I also tried Marluxia, but when he creates those three pits I can't seem to escape the thorn spell without getting insta-killed. Is there a way to counter that without the glide ability?

no you kinda need glide, quick run may also work but glide is the easier option

Probably going to end up preordering the JP digital version of 2.8. Granted, it's really only a two week wait between regions, but I've gotten the JP release of each KH game since Birth by Sleep just so I could play ASAP, so I don't see that stopping now, lol. On the upside, at least I don't have to play out the ass to import a physical copy, and I can play as soon as it releases.

KH is pretty much the only series I'd ever do this for, tbh

The thorns around Sora will start to glow a bit when they're about to explode. Use Reflect then.

I kinda want to read spoiler free impressions of 2.8. I might still take a peek on gaf but it's media blackout otherwise.

Not that I expect there to be anything groundbreaking but just in case.

Psxphile

The expanded Dengeki Nomura interview suggests Mickey will also be getting a new outfit in KH3 alongside Riku, Sora and Kairi, and we may even see his and Riku's new duds in 0.2 (the suitcases?). Also they haven't decided if KHIII will include the character customization option that 0.2 has, will depend on if they'll have the time to implement it and if the feature proves to be popular with 0.2 players.

More details at the link

The expanded Dengeki Nomura interview suggests Mickey will also be getting a new outfit in KH3 alongside Riku, Sora and Kairi, and we may even see his and Riku's new duds in 0.2 (the suitcases?). Also they haven't decided if KHIII will include the character customization option that 0.2 has, will depend on if they'll have the time to implement it and if the feature proves to be popular with 0.2 players.

More details at the link

Yeaah better to finish the game and the important systems before the character customization, specially if it's just for aesthetics.

Malyse

How about a game with *fucking custom characters*. [chi] didn't die for this.

Also

Although the story of KHX (PC) has concluded, the story of Unchained Chi exists in another dimension. The relationship around that will be told in the second season, so please wait for the next report.

Aquova

More details at the link

Nomura: All costume designs have been finished and I feel very confident about them. It is based on the costume Riku wore in the KHX 3rd anniversary illustration

So it looks like the new costumes were more or less shown off in the KHX anniversary piece. I'm really happy about that, I really liked both Kairi and Riku's costumes in that (from what we could see)

Malyse

So which one is canon? I'm not even to mission 200 yet in unchained

Edit: I am now

Both. [chi] and Unchained are in different dimensions, but the difference is in Unchained S2 (are you fucking kidding me Nomura?)

-----

yQTPRoL.jpg

So. They hid this keyblade cause it's from an unannounced world.

j5Tg7Us.png

I'm calling it. I bet it's Moana.

Top Bottom