• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kingdom Hearts Community Thread: Now everybody can be a Keyblade Wielder!

zeemumu

I don't blame him for Maleficent either but Xehanort reeked of so much 'eviiiil' that it was ridiculous. They should've off all known better, especially Eraqus.

But yeah, Terra definitely doesn't have an ego which makes Eraqus comments about him being obsessed with power strange because we're never shown that nor do they explain where the darkness within him even stemmed from? Was it jealously towards Aqua. Frustration towards Eraqus? It's just really weird. The more I think about this game, the more I dislike it. :/

Frustration and anger seem to be the primary sources. Those are the only times when it manifests.

I fully believe KH1 is better than the rest of the franchise from a narrative POV simply because Jun Akiyama was involved. KH1 is still not some writing masterpiece, but at least the overall story, cutscenes and character interactions flow a lot more naturally (most of the time) than they do in the rest of the franchise. He wasn't a part of any KH game past the first game and apart from CoM, which I thought had a pretty decent story (outside of the recapping of world we had already done in KH1), the games clearly suffered from it, as far as their storytelling goes.
Yep. I think FFXV really missed out for losing Akiyama too. He's super talented. Vagrant Story, KH1, FFXII... his cutscene direction is always stellar.

yunbuns

I fully believe KH1 is better than the rest of the franchise from a narrative POV simply because Jun Akiyama was involved. KH1 is still not some writing masterpiece, but at least the overall story, cutscenes and character interactions flow a lot more naturally (most of the time) than they do in the rest of the franchise. He wasn't a part of any KH game past the first game and apart from CoM, which I thought had a pretty decent story (outside of the recapping of world we had already done in KH1), the games clearly suffered from it, as far as their storytelling goes.

I still have to play CoM for the first time and replay KH2 to see if it still holds up for me but I feel like you're right. I remember not liking KH1 as much compared to KH2 but now that I'm older I feel like I can appreciate the story, characters, etc. a lot more because everything feels a lot more natural. KH2 is my favorite and I feel like replaying it is going to be like watching an childhood movie as an adult and realizing it's not as great as you remembered.

I'm sure the gummi ship missions will still be great though. :p

Famassu

I still have to play CoM for the first time and replay KH2 to see if it still holds up for me but I feel like you're right. I remember not liking KH1 as much compared to KH2 but now that I'm older I feel like I can appreciate the story, characters, etc. a lot more because everything feels a lot more natural. KH2 is my favorite and I feel like replaying it is going to be like watching an childhood movie as an adult and realizing it's not as great as you remembered.

I'm sure the gummi ship missions will still be great though. :p
I actually haven't played Re:Chain of Memories so I'm not sure how well the game holds up with fully realized cutscenes, but I really liked it in the GBA version. I liked the crap between Org XIII members present at Castle Oblivion (that's still the best that Org XIII has been in the franchise) and although some might roll their eyes at some specifics of the Org XIII's plans regarding Sora, I still felt it created some good, compelling drama for Sora throughout the playthrough. It also had the Riku story (which came at a total surprise to me at the time), which I found really great since I think Riku is the best realized character in the whole franchise. I'd switch Riku to be the MAIN main character of the franchise in a heartbeat, instead of Sora.

I actually haven't played Re:Chain of Memories so I'm not sure how well the game holds up with fully realized cutscenes, but I really liked it in the GBA version. I liked the crap between Org XIII members present at Castle Oblivion (that's still the best that Org XIII has been in the franchise) and although some might roll their eyes at some specifics of the Org XIII's plans regarding Sora, I still felt it created some good, compelling drama for Sora throughout the playthrough. It also had the Riku story (which came at a total surprise to me at the time), which I found really great since I think Riku is the best realized character in the whole franchise. I'd switch Riku to be the MAIN main character of the franchise in a heartbeat, instead of Sora.

Yeah, it feels like Chain of Memories made each Organization character into someone with their own motivations and personality, but KH2 has Demyx, Xaldin, and Luxord at straight up minion/mook level (especially a shame for Xaldin, since he's at least one of the very first people recruited into the Organization and he's a pretty damn good boss fight compared to the other two fairly gimmicky ones).

zeemumu

In my opinion the GBA version is easier because you don't have to juggle camera controls in a 3D space and card combat at the same time.

Re:Chain of Memories is the better game but it suffers a lot because of the context. The game doesn't make any sense as a PS2 title while it makes perfect sense on GBA.

While I like the game and all I understand 100000% why especially people first playing it on PS2 (or hell, PS3/PS4 since it originally didn't even come out in PAL regions and was a late release in NA) can't stand it. I'm pretty sure vast majority of people that like Re:CoM already played it on GBA.

Makes me wonder if there is any chance of ever getting the original Chain of Memories released on the mobile phones. It could actually be a really neat way to play the game if they can figure out the controls and is cheap. Remastered chiptunes for soundtrack too!

DKHF

Famitsu has a 4 page interview with Nomura for 2.8 in this week's issue. They ask him about KHIII and FFVIIR at the end too. Though IMO obviously don't expect much about them since 2.8 is in the spotlight. Should find out the details when Famitsu leaks in a few hours.

Anyone with a Japanese iTunes account can now enjoy this:
2CAB0CA4-8056-4D78-BDB9-D5B5ED12C72B_zps9yrqiob5.png

US release is still for the 11th: Simple and Clean (Ray of Hope Mix) - EP by Utada Hikaru

Psxphile

0.2 was Ground Zeroes'd when it was first announced. Did anyone really expect a 3-hour prologue to get a Platinum trophy? I could see Sony shaking their heads months ago.

0.2 was Ground Zeroes'd when it was first announced. Did anyone really expect a 3-hour prologue to get a Platinum trophy? I could see Sony shaking their heads months ago.

I played a 40 minute game where I tapped a jar of mayo 10,000 times and got a platinum.

I think I'm more disappointed there's no Back Cover trophies.

zeemumu

I'm extremely happy that they found a way to combine the dual screen component of that opening (sorcerer Mickey conductor looks a little weird plastered on it like that but I'm still happy)

It's probably my favorite of the openings.

Something that's been worth pointing out is that the very end of the cinematic is something that hasn't actually happened in the Kingdom Hearts yet. The face of between Master Xehanort and Sora + Riku hasn't been shown and knowing what we now know from [chi], I'm fairly certain that that was the book of prophecies that Mickey had.

Probably. He's conjuring power from those pages which is what the books did in the form of medals.

yea as expected half-mp cure was only for the gameshow demo. The final build uses all of the MP for cure, at least on Proud mode.

This is actually really good news. The full MP cost forces them to actually think about making the fights more manageable outside of just loading yourself with cures against bosses that might or might not react to your attacks.

Literally the only problem I have with the KH2 MP system is that it doesn't regenerate outside of MP charge. Once you are almost out of MP it discourages the use of magic too much since you need to save it for cure, it should slowly fill up when you attack enemies like in KH1 (and considering the nature of MP charge once you are outside of combat it should automatically start regenerating).

Watching a 0.2 stream and holy shit, the special effects. There's this one heartless with some neat looking water attacks.

Neat to see KH finally catch up with technology.

Er... I'm not sure if there's some video trickery going on here, but the 0.2 stream I'm watching seems to be running at an unlocked framerate. The player is using the Pro, IIRC.

Never mind, it's the player's capture card doing that.

...Huh. It looks like you can only get 2.8 digitally if you pre-ordered it? There's no option to buy it on JP PSN.

Edit: Or maybe only pre orders unlocked and the game hasn't been made available properly. We'll see.

raven777

...Huh. It looks like you can only get 2.8 digitally if you pre-ordered it? There's no option to buy it on JP PSN.

Edit: Or maybe only pre orders unlocked and the game hasn't been made available properly. We'll see.

That's how it usually works. The preorder ends the moment it becomes the release date, and the actual game comes out in the morning of the release date.

0.2 climax silly stuff spoilers.

Why did they go out of their way to have Mickey's clothes explode? It's been ten years, I could more than accept that in that time he stopped wearing his BBS outfit. But he wears it for ten years, he gets hit, and his clothes go flying off conveniently just because he wasn't wearing a shirt during the ending of KH1. They should have just had mickey not wear a shirt during the whole game, it would make more sense than me now wondering why everyone else's clothes don't get knocked off when they are hit hard. :p

0.2 climax silly stuff spoilers.

Why did they go out of their way to have Mickey's clothes explode? It's been ten years, I could more than accept that in that time he stopped wearing his BBS outfit. But he wears it for ten years, he gets hit, and his clothes go flying off conveniently just because he wasn't wearing a shirt during the ending of KH1. They should have just had mickey not wear a shirt during the whole game, it would make more sense than me now wondering why everyone else's clothes don't get knocked off when they are hit hard. :p

KH usually goes above and beyond to justify tiny, meaningless details just so things line up. Like the Lingering Will magically spawning a cape out of nowhere in the HD version of Birth by Sleep, just to line up with the KHIIFM boss fight. Or the numerous reasons for why Sora/Roxas/etc. start off at Level 1 for the games that they're in.

Interestingly enough, 0.2 kinda subverts that last one
by starting Aqua off at Level 50 as opposed to Level 1. I guess the implication is supposed to be that she's really damned strong.

That said, it's hilarious that they even bothered with that detail, lol.

Tsunamo

I just finished up watching backcover (not so great) and a 0.2 run. What a rush that was. It was extremely difficult on Proud mode, moreso than quite a few critical mode Kingdom Hearts i've played.
Huh? Where's that confirmed at?
I mixed up special portals with secret portals, my bad. Not confirmed yet then.
Has there been any 60fps footage of DDD uploaded yet?
Not trying to plug myself here, but I streamed it in 60fps, so there's a bit here:
https://www.twitch.tv/tsunamo/v/114049653

Lnds500

I think it's safe to say we have nothing to fear with KH3 visually.

I have plenty to fear based on 0.2. It has improved and I expect that the engine will be improved dramatically, but things like Yen Sid's office still look like a joke to me.. I haven't seen the whole demo so I can't comment on the rest.

botty

Banned
I have plenty to fear based on 0.2. It has improved and I expect that the engine will be improved dramatically, but things like Yen Sid's office still look like a joke to me.. I haven't seen the whole demo so I can't comment on the rest.

The game looks really good during gameplay, which is good enough for me. Kingdom Hearts' in-game cut scenes...outside of the CG stuff.. have never been that impressive anyway...in fact in most of the series they're down right ugly.

Edit: Apparently the Chi/X series continues its unprecedented streak of being disappointing with Backcover.

��

Azerare

The game looks really good during gameplay, which is good enough for me. Kingdom Hearts' in-game cut scenes...outside of the CG stuff.. have never been that impressive anyway...in fact in most of the series they're down right ugly.

No lies detected here.

I don't know where this idea came that kingdom hearts had great looking in-game cutscenes lol.

Ydelnae

For what I have seen and I have been told, this might be the first time I might be regretting purshasing a KH title at launch. And I even bought re:coded, this is my favorite franchise.

3D is one of my most disliked titles. 0.2 should have been part of 3D or 3 and
Back Cover seems pointless right now, there was no need for this type of teasing, we've had enough at this point

Should have just released 3D HD included in 1.5 + 2.5 and keep 0.2 for 3. I hope my impressions change when I actually play the game, but right now, I'm disappointed.

Lnds500

Edit: Apparently the Chi/X series continues its unprecedented streak of being disappointing with Backcover.

��

No lies detected here.

I don't know where this idea came that kingdom hearts had great looking in-game cutscenes lol.

I don't know what's wrong with the cutscenes in the older games, outside of some non-animated characters which were standard back then.

At least the environments and characters models were consistent and didn't contrast with one another, unlike 0.2/3.

Top Bottom