• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kingdom Hearts Community Thread: Now everybody can be a Keyblade Wielder!

yunbuns

What is your opinion on the command board?

I don't really remember much of it tbh? I tried it when I first started playing as Terra but I remember not fully getting it and losing. I took a long break from playing the game and when I decided to start playing again I kind of forgot about it and never tried it again.

Also Prince Phillip is the mvp and the Maleficent boss battle was really cool. Although her being able to
turn into a dragon at will kind of lessens the impact of her turning into one in KH1 imo
but it's not really a big deal.

yunbuns

I hope whoever thought that the ice cream rhythm game and fruitball were fun and enjoyable mini-games aren't working on minigames in KH3.

Command Board is great but also you can utterly stomp the AI basically 100% of the time as soon as you have enough commands to always be able to buy property (and because they don't know how to really fuck you over with the rolling blocks or the assorted special board-specific things).

It's still fun and it's still a diverting way to level your commands up midgame and get some abilities that are otherwise just out of your reach.

Also, Sora and Riku and Kairi and Mickey better get a damn keyblade armor and keyblade glider and maybe those corridors of light for KH3 so they don't need to do gummi ship stuff anymore.

Vashetti

Banned
Command Board is great but also you can utterly stomp the AI basically 100% of the time as soon as you have enough commands to always be able to buy property (and because they don't know how to really fuck you over with the rolling blocks or the assorted special board-specific things).

It's still fun and it's still a diverting way to level your commands up midgame and get some abilities that are otherwise just out of your reach.

Also, Sora and Riku and Kairi and Mickey better get a damn keyblade armor and keyblade glider and maybe those corridors of light for KH3 so they don't need to do gummi ship stuff anymore.

Um, leave.

Also still no 2.8 on the UK PS Store.

zeemumu

The gummi ship missions in II were amazing and fun. Best mini games by far.

Mainly because they were actual levels instead of a kaleidoscope of color with random shapes floating in space and you could skip them once you did them once. KH1's still required you to do the warp cutscene to travel between worlds.

Psxphile

I'm so used to seeing people bash the Gummi ship mini-game that seeing people jump in defend it is throwing me for a loop.

KHII's was incredibly fun and a huge improvement over KH1's, but it still seems like an unwanted distraction between game stages that breaks up the flow. Same with DDD's Dive sections, and that I didn't find fun at all.

BBS had the right idea.

zeemumu

I'm so used to seeing people bash the Gummi ship mini-game that seeing people jump in defend it is throwing me for a loop.

KHII's was incredibly fun and a huge improvement over KH1's, but it still seems like an unwanted distraction between game stages that breaks up the flow. Same with DDD's Dive sections, and that I didn't find fun at all.

BBS had the right idea.

Dive felt closer to KH1 Gummi Ship.

I hope whoever thought that the ice cream rhythm game and fruitball were fun and enjoyable mini-games aren't working on minigames in KH3.

I actually hope there are next to zero minigames in 3. The main gameplay loop of KH can be fun and satisfactory enough on its own. Just give us great and interesting settings to do it in :)

So someone has to get the game early.. Could Monday be a probability?

Doubtful. Excluding Gameinformer, review copies haven't gone out. Can't see anyone else getting a copy before then.

I actually hope there are next to zero minigames in 3. The main gameplay loop of KH can be fun and satisfactory enough on its own. Just give us great and interesting settings to do it in :)
They've been hiring people to work on mini-games for 3, sorry :(

Falk

that puzzling face
The gummi-verse is the perfect excuse to have an RTS spin-off with dozens of units on the field at once.

mstevens

Quick background info - I played KH when it first came out but I don't think I beat it / I didn't remember much about it.

I bought both collections a couple years ago to get into the series and hopefully beat them all before KH3 comes out. I've been kind of slowly chipping away at them.

So far I've gotten the platinum trophy in KH 1 and 2 and really enjoyed both of those a lot. I'm currently working through Chain of Memories now. I beat Sora's normal and proud runs, and just finished Riku's proud mode a few minutes ago. I'm really excited because I got to the final boss at level 36 and hit a bit of a wall and was really dreading having to grind with how big the enemies health pools are in proud mode. I got him though, so it should be all down hill from here!

BBS scares me a bit with the lauded difficulty and super bosses I've heard so much about. I'll be really bummed if I get all that way and can't beat them, but we'll see.

All the media I've seen from 2.8 looks great as well. I'm really glad I gave the series a shot as a longtime Disney and FF fan!

yunbuns

Officially finished BBS. I honestly don't know how I feel about this game. I didn't dislike it but...I didn't really like it either. I kind of just felt eh about tbh.

yunbuns

What did you think of the Secret Episode? Did it make you really want to play 0.2?

No, not really honestly. To my disappointment I didn't really enjoy Aqua's character. She generally came off pretty bland to me and her entire storyline being centered around Ven and Terra also annoyed me. If I cared more about her character, I would probably be excited about 0.2 but I don't so ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Psxphile

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

It's really disappointing because I've seen everyone hyping her up for years. She is technically a badass but she's also boring af. :/

And now you know why everyone tries to hype her up... because they feel bad for her. :(

But honestly, it's her penchant for battle that people like. Of the three she's the best caster, and the Magic commands can be pretty OP when utilized well.

zeemumu

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

It's really disappointing because I've seen everyone hyping her up for years. She is technically a badass but she's also boring af. :/

It's because she doesn't have any direct connection to the plot. Almost everyone else is necessary to the plan or a faction leader except for her. She's only connected to the plot because she wants to help her friends, so she's only slightly more important than Lea, but Lea is a bit more charismatic. That combined with her having to fill the responsible big sister role to Terra and Ventus don't make her a very interesting character to follow.

But on the other hand that means that she doesn't have plot armor.

Gulz1992

No, not really honestly. To my disappointment I didn't really enjoy Aqua's character. She generally came off pretty bland to me and her entire storyline being centered around Ven and Terra also annoyed me. If I cared more about her character, I would probably be excited about 0.2 but I don't so ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I agree. I mean, Aqua grew on me after a while and I enjoyed her campaign much more than Terra's. However, having replayed Birth by Sleep recently, there is something that's always irritated me about her, and I think I've noticed what it is.

Let me compare Aqua's campaign to Terra's. And note that in this comparison, I'm using Terra's campaign as the good one. And Terra's campaign is garbage.

However, while there is much to be said about Terra being an unsympathetic protagonist and his campaign having terrible writing even by Kingdom Hearts standards, one thing you can't deny is that Terra's campaign is about Terra. He drives the story, and at the major junctures of the plot, Terra actively moves things on. Rescuing Xehanort, fighting Eraqus, stupidly helping the Disney villains, etc.; these are all Terra's decisions. He has agency. While poorly executed, there is at least a germ of a reasonable story there, about a man destroyed by his own obsession.

I'm sure you'll have noticed that in Aqua's campaign, she has very little agency. Every major twist in the plot is something that was forced upon her. She could have been replaced with anyone and the plot would be the same. The Final Episode might be the only time in the game where she is actually relevant to the story.

The upshot is that while Terra's campaign made me hate him, I'm fine with Aqua. Instead, I hate the writer.

I agree. I mean, Aqua grew on me after a while and I enjoyed her campaign much more than Terra's. However, having replayed Birth by Sleep recently, there is something that's always irritated me about her, and I think I've noticed what it is.

Let me compare Aqua's campaign to Terra's. And note that in this comparison, I'm using Terra's campaign as the good one. And Terra's campaign is garbage.

However, while there is much to be said about Terra being an unsympathetic protagonist and his campaign having terrible writing even by Kingdom Hearts standards, one thing you can't deny is that Terra's campaign is about Terra. He drives the story, and at the major junctures of the plot, Terra actively moves things on. Rescuing Xehanort, fighting Eraqus, stupidly helping the Disney villains, etc.; these are all Terra's decisions. He has agency. While poorly executed, there is at least a germ of a reasonable story there, about a man destroyed by his own obsession.

I'm sure you'll have noticed that in Aqua's campaign, she has very little agency. Every major twist in the plot is something that was forced upon her. She could have been replaced with anyone and the plot would be the same. The Final Episode might be the only time in the game where she is actually relevant to the story.

The upshot is that while Terra's campaign made me hate him, I'm fine with Aqua. Instead, I hate the writer.

I just wanted to say I was thinking about Silent Hill Downpour when I clicked on this thread and then I saw your avatar and was like

woooow

I'd say that's accurate - Aqua's largely an observer for most of the game (and she cleans up everyone else's messes) and her *real* story feels like it doesn't even quite start until the end of the game. Generally even in the climax she collaborates with Ven on the goal of breaking the chi-blade and then she collaborates with Terra on the goal of breaking Terranort.

I do think it's good that the game shows her fixing everyone else's problems in the Disney worlds, though - you know the tragic end is coming, but it still heightens the impact when she fails to save her friends at the end (even though the three of them just barely manage to succeed in stopping Master Xehanort's plan, for a while at any rate).

Can't wait for some super spoilery youtube thumbnail.

Some marketing genious should explain to me what the thinking behind a 2 week release delay is again.

Well I suppose it could be worse.

Tsunamo

It makes me wonder if the Japanese version will have some English options given the close release time.

I'm not expecting text or anything like that, but it wouldn't suprise me if we had something where the cutscenes in theater mode have dual audio options like 2.5

yunbuns

I agree with you so much especially with this specifically. Terra is such an awful character and the way he is handled is both frustrating and baffling considering how much he's tied to everything and the fact that they have (kind of) done his arc before in KH1. Riku, a kid from an island, was less gullible than Terra, who was trying to become a keyblade master. He visibly mistrusted Malefiecent and while he still got manipulated by Ansem, I could at least sympathize with him somewhat while Terra is just a fucking moron.

I also feel like the game doesn't follow the 'show, don't tell' rule at all. We're supposed to believe that the trio are great friends yet besides Aqua constantly saying Ven and Terra wherever she goes and the brief flashbacks we got, I didn't feel they were as great of friends as the game kept telling me. Also Terra says that Eraqus was like a father to him but...where did the game show that??? We barely got any scenes between them so
Terra killing him has no emotional weight imo.
I went ahead and beat KH1 after I finished BBS and the game still holds up and is a lot better, storywise, than this one. I also appreciate how the storylines in KH1's worlds don't beat you over the head about friendship and believing in yourself all the time.

zeemumu

I agree with you so much especially with this specifically. Terra is such an awful character and the way he is handled is both frustrating and baffling considering how much he's tied to everything and the fact that they have (kind of) done his arc before in KH1. Riku, a kid from a island, was less guillable with than Terra, who was trying to become a keyblade master. He visibly mistrusted Malefiecent and while he still got manipulated by Ansem, I could at least sympatize with him somewhat while Terra is just a fucking moron.

I also feel like the game doesn't follow the 'show, don't tell' rule at all. We're supposed to believe that the trio are great friends yet besides Aqua constantly saying Ven and Terra whereever she goes and the brief flashbacks we got, I didn't feel they were as great of friends as the game kept telling me. Also Terra says that Eraqus was like a father to him but...where did the game show that??? We barely got any scenes between them so
I went ahead and beat KH1 after I finished BBS and the game still holds up and is a lot better, storywise, than this one. I also apprecitae how the storylines in KH1's worlds don't beat you over the head about friendship and believing in yourself all the time.

I give a Terra a pass for Maleficent because that technically wasn't on him but he should've known better when it came to Xehanort. That story was written for a character closer to Anak in, who was a showoff and desperate, so when this obviously evil dude shows up and feeds his ego while promising him stuff it makes a little more sense.

But Terra isn't like that. He doesn't have a huge ego, so it just comes off as him being stupid.

yunbuns

I give a Terra a pass for Maleficent because that technically wasn't on him but he should've known better when it came to Xehanort. That story was written for a character closer to Anak in, who was a showoff and desperate, so when this obviously evil dude shows up and feeds his ego while promising him stuff it makes a little more sense.

But Terra isn't like that. He doesn't have a huge ego, so it just comes off as him being stupid.

I don't blame him for Maleficent either but Xehanort reeked of so much 'eviiiil' that it was ridiculous. They should've off all known better, especially Eraqus.

But yeah, Terra definitely doesn't have an ego which makes Eraqus comments about him being obsessed with power strange because we're never shown that nor do they explain where the darkness within him even stemmed from? Was it jealously towards Aqua. Frustration towards Eraqus? It's just really weird. The more I think about this game, the more I dislike it. :/

Famassu

I agree with you so much especially with this specifically. Terra is such an awful character and the way he is handled is both frustrating and baffling considering how much he's tied to everything and the fact that they have (kind of) done his arc before in KH1. Riku, a kid from a island, was less guillable with than Terra, who was trying to become a keyblade master. He visibly mistrusted Malefiecent and while he still got manipulated by Ansem, I could at least sympatize with him somewhat while Terra is just a fucking moron.

I also feel like the game doesn't follow the 'show, don't tell' rule at all. We're supposed to believe that the trio are great friends yet besides Aqua constantly saying Ven and Terra whereever she goes and the brief flashbacks we got, I didn't feel they were as great of friends as the game kept telling me. Also Terra says that Eraqus was like a father to him but...where did the game show that??? We barely got any scenes between them so
I went ahead and beat KH1 after I finished BBS and the game still holds up and is a lot better, storywise, than this one. I also apprecitae how the storylines in KH1's worlds don't beat you over the head about friendship and believing in yourself all the time.
I fully believe KH1 is better than the rest of the franchise from a narrative POV simply because Jun Akiyama was involved. KH1 is still not some writing masterpiece, but at least the overall story, cutscenes and character interactions flow a lot more naturally (most of the time) than they do in the rest of the franchise. He wasn't a part of any KH game past the first game and apart from CoM, which I thought had a pretty decent story (outside of the recapping of world we had already done in KH1), the games clearly suffered from it, as far as their storytelling goes.

Top Bottom