• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kingdom Hearts Community Thread: Now everybody can be a Keyblade Wielder!

You know what KH needs? More late game dungeons. Cavern of Rememberance was good because the normal encounters were friggin brutal if you were underleveled.

Seda

You know what KH needs? More late game dungeons. Cavern of Rememberance was good because the normal encounters were friggin brutal if you were underleveled.
KH2 had those paradox cup things. Or whatever they were called. Those were the closest thing to a postgame challenge (in vanilla version).

I will be pleasantly surprised if KH3 can get even near KH2 numbers after releasing 10 years after it. The target audience has grown up and moved away while the insane linger.

KH2 shipped apparently something like 4m. If KH3 can reach even something like 2,5 I will be pleasantly surprised.

Groof

I will be pleasantly surprised if KH3 can get even near KH2 numbers after releasing 10 years after it. The target audience has grown up and moved away while the insane linger.

KH2 shipped apparently something like 4m. If KH3 can reach even something like 2,5 I will be pleasantly surprised.

I don't know, we might get surprised. A majority of the audience has probably grown up by now, but it feels like even they would probably see KH3 at a store and remember that the previous ones were fun and pick it up due to nostalgic reasons.
On the other hand, that might not happen at all and it's screwed.

I don't know, we might get surprised. A majority of the audience has probably grown up by now, but it feels like even they would probably see KH3 at a store and remember that the previous ones were fun and pick it up due to nostalgic reasons.
On the other hand, that might not happen at all and it's screwed.

I'm gonna take the overly pessimistic approach: KH3 will be terrible, bombs like a champ and we get to enjoy seeing the franchise continue as iOS micro transaction focused game.

Edit: actually now that I think about it that was too optimistic. No KH3 for us, new higher ups at SE run the franchise to the ground and put Osaka team to work on Lightning focused dating sims for japanese mobile devices.

Groof

I'm gonna take the overly pessimistic approach: KH3 will be terrible, bombs like a champ and we get to enjoy seeing the franchise continue as iOS micro transaction focused game.

Edit: actually now that I think about it that was too optimistic. No KH3 for us, new higher ups at SE run the franchise to the ground and put Osaka team to work on Lightning focused dating sims for japanese mobile devices.

KH3 becomes a pay-as-you-play type game, pay to unlock the next chapter.
On top of that you have to pay for EXP gains and Level Ups as well as party members. And it'll be on old GSM phones.

Day 301 of 358 ~

i forgot how much of a Douche Saix was... I don't remember, though, if you beat him with roxas when you leave the castle...

KH needs more side content in general. Playing through KH1 again has made me realize just how much they've dropped the ball in regards to that ever since.

Seda

Who here got PMs from Mike? Just want to know who it is that can discuss the doc, either in here or through PM.

Who here got PMs from Mike? Just want to know who it is that can discuss the doc, either in here or through PM.

I did. Unfortunately I have to work AND finish a college assignment tomorrow, so I can only read it fully on friday (which is a holiday here at least, yay!).

Seda

I'll probably go over that GameTrailers script this weekend.

At first glance I see a lot of smaller, but obvious, things aren't mentioned in the Kingdom Hearts 1 game summary, like "Ansem" possessing Riku (also him being the guy in the brown robe at the beginning), Kairi's heart being inside Sora the entire time, Hollow Bastion being the world where Leon and co. are from (and the fact the Traverse Town is the world people go when their own world is lost to darkness). ALso anything about the Ansem Reports. I don't think any of this stuff is exceptionally tricky.

I realize this could be mentioned later, but after reading the first game summary, I felt it missed several things...easy things.

Finally got a 3DS and will definitely get 3D next time it's on sale. Demo was mad fun.

Just a tip:like always if you get stuck the best way is not to grind levels but check out how to get a Dream Eater that gives you Once More/Leaf Bracer/Second Chance abilities.

Also if you want the AR scan for special Dream Eaters work just by scanning a screenshot of the AR card.

Finally got a 3DS and will definitely get 3D next time it's on sale. Demo was mad fun.

Just a tip:like always if you get stuck the best way is not to grind levels but check out how to get a Dream Eater that gives you Once More/Leaf Bracer/Second Chance abilities.

Also if you want the AR scan for special Dream Eaters work just by scanning a screenshot of the AR card.

Edit: fuck DP sorry :(. Gaf acting up..

Yeah. Honestly, KH1 is the only game to truly get that right. KH2's underworld tournaments were unrewarding, and BBS's Mirage Arena wasn't much better.

True, true.

Plus having Ice Titan, Rock Titan and Sephiroth having lil cameos might count for somethign too! :)

The more unique ''bosses'' in KH2 colosseum were mostly from KH anyway namely Leon and friends ect. KH1 colosseum had this certain character to it that was nurtured from the start of the game right to the end and even post game. KH2 colosseum was kinda there for post game but it was kinda meh doing it at all. There are some tournaments during the game but they are just a bore.

Bladenic

KH2 Coliseum is awful compared to the epic first game Coliseum. The best thing about the second game coliseum was the battle against the 4 FF characters, although I admit I hardcore cheesed it with Reflect. KH2 was missing KH1's epic optional bosses too, though I'm sure FM+ rectified that.

Even with all of FM+'s extra stuff, I still think KH1's optional bosses are better, at least as far as diversity and originality goes.

In KH1FM, you have a Phantom fought high above London, A heartless with a cobra for a head wielding four swords fought in the middle of the desert, the huge Ice Titan from the Hercules movie, friggin' Sephiroth, and a mysterious guy wearing a black cloak with a penchant for laser attacks.

Compared to five or six black robed people and a freakishly strong animated suit of armor, that's quite the lineup.

Even with all of FM+'s extra stuff, I still think KH1's optional bosses are better, at least as far as diversity and originality goes.

In KH1FM, you have a Phantom fought high above London, A heartless with a cobra for a head wielding four swords fought in the middle of the desert, the huge Ice Titan from the Hercules movie, friggin' Sephiroth, and a mysterious guy wearing a black cloak with a penchant for laser attacks.

Compared to five or six black robed people and a freakishly strong animated suit of armor, that's quite the lineup.

The greatness of FM+ is not when compared to KH1 but when compared to vanilla KH2 that is the game that dropped the ball with post game content.

Even when most are rematches against old bosses 14 new late game bosses is such a big boon for post game play.

I do agree that KH1 is leaps and bounds above the other games when it comes to the design of the bosses. Nowdays it feels all we get are some black robed dudes or hunks of armor and thats it. Where are the disney bosses (praise DDD but yeah, one fuckin boss), final fantasy bosses and original bosses? The first game had them all, why not the sequels? Where were the optional Nobody/Heartless bosses in KH2? Why did we get Sephiroth again? (to be fair the vanilla KH didn't have him in Japan).

There is so much potential in a crossover focused game like KH and monster design with Heartless ect. Then we get the likes of Vanitas remnant and Mysterious Figure. I mean I am glad at all post game bosses but these are the type of enemies I would add only after I put friggin Gilgamesh and Snake Jafar or whatever as optional bosses for fanservice.

There is the element of mystery and speculation to be had with ''canon bosses'' such as Xemnas, Terra and Mysterious Figure but they need to design good post game content with all these elements.

I realize this could be mentioned later, but after reading the first game summary, I felt it missed several things...easy things.
You mean the first pages? Yeah, it's kinda simplistic but there is some in-depth commentary after that in cronological order. I'll read that part this weekend.

You mean the first pages? Yeah, it's kinda simplistic but there is some in-depth commentary after that in cronological order. I'll read that part this weekend.

I'm laughing because I have a feeling most of you will want more information worked into the script, while some of the editors here are already like "WTF, this is too ridiculous" and want it trimmed down. I'm getting so much enjoyment out of their reactions. Honestly, my gut says there are probably two issues -- not enough is explained or outright skipped over, and it doesn't all lead to a strong enough conclusion (ie, you feel like you walk away understanding not just the order, but the core tenants of the lore).

And yea, I apologize if their are real obvious errors, but glad for all the assistance. Just, if you can, even if you discuss the stuff here, it would be easier on me if the feedback/comments eventually made their way into a single document/message/e-mail.

I'm laughing because I have a feeling most of you will want more information worked into the script, while some of the editors here are already like "WTF, this is too ridiculous" and want it trimmed down. I'm getting so much enjoyment out of their reactions. Honestly, my gut says there are probably two issues -- not enough is explained or outright skipped over, and it doesn't all lead to a strong enough conclusion (ie, you feel like you walk away understanding not just the order, but the core tenants of the lore).

And yea, I apologize if their are real obvious errors, but glad for all the assistance. Just, if you can, even if you discuss the stuff here, it would be easier on me if the feedback/comments eventually made their way into a single document/message/e-mail.
They will, no worries.

As I was skimming it yesterday I kept thinking "What? How can he not mention THIS?" but when I realized there were a lot more pages below I finally noticed that it was a summary and the real good stuff was after that. Still, they thought the summary was too much? LOL

Well you could talk hours about all the small stuff but when the whole plot of the series boils down to Sora/Xehanort is everyone it is just important to get the basic story out without the useless info taking up precious time.

I imagine the video will not be for the super hardcore KH fanbase so it only makes sense for the editors have the final say in all this and for us to just check that the most obvious errors ect get pointed out.

Like oh em gee dontcha even know the Organization resides in the realm between and not the realm of darkness? How dare you.

Has anyone spotted a stream for Re:CoM HD? You'd think there would be one up now. I just want to check if some of the key music is remastered :(.

Edit: Actually the whole thing is all over Youtube now. Lord of Castle is definately remastered at least.

Well you could talk hours about all the small stuff but when the whole plot of the series boils down to Sora/Xehanort is everyone it is just important to get the basic story out without the useless info taking up precious time.

I imagine the video will not be for the super hardcore KH fanbase so it only makes sense for the editors have the final say in all this and for us to just check that the most obvious errors ect get pointed out.

Like oh em gee dontcha even know the Organization resides in the realm between and not the realm of darkness? How dare you.

I could say I was testing you, but nope. Actually, I think I was looking for clarification and The Keyhole (KH Wikia) said TWTNW was in the realm of darkness at some point and I was like "okay, cool".

I know of one other mistake (or it's not made clear enough) -- in the second part, the BBS content about Aqua ending up in the realm of darkness, I goofed. She has her showdown with Terra-Xehanort after transforming Land of Departure into Castle Oblivion, not at the Keyblade Graveyard. I don't know why I forgot that. I also at one point wrote Xemnas and Ansem, SoD, were created when Xehanort merged with Terra -_- Yea, no (but I fixed that already). Sometimes my brain doesn't match up with my actions, so I'll be thinking one thing but write something completely different and not realize it.

Is Mike D the guy who made the Zelda Timeline GT Video?
:0

A lot of people worked on that video, but yes, I worked on the Zelda Timeline. Unfortunately, I am far more versed in Zelda than anything else (Metal Gear is probably a close second), but thankfully there are just as many fans, some of which are very kindly offering their help so that maybe there is another good video that makes sense of the KH series' basics so that average people can "get it".

A lot of people worked on that video, but yes, I worked on the Zelda Timeline. Unfortunately, I am far more versed in Zelda than anything else (Metal Gear is probably a close second), but thankfully there are just as many fans, some of which are very kindly offering their help so that maybe there is another good video that makes sense of the KH series' basics so that average people can "get it".
Ah I see! Well good luck and wish I could help but I really get mixed up despite playing most games in the KH series. As you can see, Napalm and Seda are a way much bigger help than I could be, anyway, hope you guys nail the video down and make it amazing like the Zelda one was.

Tsunamo

KH needs more side content in general. Playing through KH1 again has made me realize just how much they've dropped the ball in regards to that ever since.
Agreed, it's one of the reasons I still love the original the most. All the side content included really made it much more exciting exploring worlds and gave more life to them and the game itself. I really hope they nail that aspect again in a future installment, I've missed it.

Finally playing Re:coded and it's pretty fun game. The different styles in the Keyholes add some nice variety that adds a bit of freshness to the fourth-run worlds (though I generally have enough time between games that that doesn't bother me anyway), but Agrabah's time thing sucked. I sure miss Flowmotion though, going back after 3D.

Best KH game

Don't hurt me guys

I wouldn't go that far, but I liked it a lot more than the GAF consensus seems to be. Then again, I liked Roxas and the opening of KH2 so whatevs. Some of the missions are a bit repetitive but it's an okay game and it's nice to have some fleshing out of Organisation XIII.

Finally playing Re:coded and it's pretty fun game. The different styles in the Keyholes add some nice variety that adds a bit of freshness to the fourth-run worlds (though I generally have enough time between games that that doesn't bother me anyway), but Agrabah's time thing sucked. I sure miss Flowmotion though, going back after 3D.

I wouldn't go that far, but I liked it a lot more than the GAF consensus seems to be. Then again, I liked Roxas and the opening of KH2 so whatevs. Some of the missions are a bit repetitive but it's an okay game and it's nice to have some fleshing out of Organisation XIII.

I liked Days alright I guess but I would be lying if I told the gameplay sometimes wasn't just a big chore to get to the next cutscene. Compared to most other games in the series where the basic gameplay is a blast.

I cleaned your avatar a bit if you want to use this, those white edges made me go crazy :d

3Aaz65n.png

I liked Days alright I guess but I would be lying if I told the gameplay sometimes wasn't just a big chore to get to the next cutscene. Compared to most other games in the series where the basic gameplay is a blast.

I cleaned your avatar a bit if you want to use this, those white edges made me go crazy :d

3Aaz65n.png

Yeah, I feel you on that. Some parts definitely dragged more than others, but on the whole I was pretty positive on the game.

Thanks! The current version was a bit of a rush job and I didn't really notice the white 'til I was on my phone and hadn't gotten around to cleaning it up. Will definitely use that :)

Yeah, I feel you on that. Some parts definitely dragged more than others, but on the whole I was pretty positive on the game.

Thanks! The current version was a bit of a rush job and I didn't really notice the white 'til I was on my phone and hadn't gotten around to cleaning it up. Will definitely use that :)

I think one of the biggest things Days had going for it is the fact that fans probably were drooling over a new game at that point. It was over 3 years after KH2 and we all know what happened to KH2FM when it comes to western release and Re:CoM when it comes to PAL release.

*Sniff*
Finally... someone...

Top Bottom