• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kingdom Hearts Community Thread: Now everybody can be a Keyblade Wielder!

That really does explain a lot.

Wouldn't be surprised if it was his decision it was to scale back on the battle system mechanics in favor of the Dream Eater stuff. Even Re:Coded of all things had a better battle system than 3D for fuck's sake.

Hey! Without pokemons we might have missed Shimomuras masterpiece of KH series.

I just wish there was option to beat your Dream Eaters when they steal all the cookies and cakes ment for the other pets.

TheMink

Not Reggies problem.

If flowmotion comes back it should be fast traversal only without any jumping boosting or even just put it as a skill on some drive form/limit break thingy.

I don't remember using it much after traverse town anyway when not needed.

Well you can only do it in the Dream World so there is that.

Groof

Probably would just explain it with a "the potential always existed in their hearts, and it is unlocked after having been to the Dream World."

Have I already made a megapost how fuckin terrible the balancing in DDD was? I should but I don't even want to remember. 50% of the combat mechanics down the drain and no fucks given.

McNum

Flowmotion made combat either a joke or frustratingly difficult when all of sudden you ended up on an invisible grind rail with little HP left. And with your magic and skills coming from Dream Eaters, you'd have to either go with some poor skills and rely a ton on Flowmotion, or you'd know the secret handshake and find the Dream Eaters with the skills you wanted, making a lot of the game a joke.

That skill Riku got that let him teleport to his target came in handy during a certain boss fight, though. "Ha! You have been pushed to the far end of the area, now I will pelt you with fireballs as you try to-" *teleport* "-or you could do that."

That really does explain a lot.

Wouldn't be surprised if it was his decision it was to scale back on the battle system mechanics in favor of the Dream Eater stuff. Even Re:Coded of all things had a better battle system than 3D for fuck's sake.

Losing ability leveling/combining and the Command Board minigame in favor of Dream Eater harvesting and lots of touchscreen pokemon-petting minigames was pretty much the worst. Also, the Drop System is terrible.

If BBS is the MGS3 of the Kingdom Hearts series, DDD is the MGS4. Or possibly the Peace Walker.
Not Reggies problem.

If flowmotion comes back it should be fast traversal only without any jumping boosting or even just put it as a skill on some drive form/limit break thingy.

I don't remember using it much after traverse town anyway when not needed.
Yeah, FlowMotion should either *only* be stuff like rail grinding, shouldn't let you infinite-chain the wall jump, or yeah, should be limited only to when you're in a special state instead of being usable literally anytime there's a wall nearby.

Losing ability leveling/combining and the Command Board minigame in favor of Dream Eater harvesting and lots of touchscreen pokemon-petting minigames was pretty much the worst. Also, the Drop System is terrible.

If BBS is the MGS3 of the Kingdom Hearts series, DDD is the MGS4. Or possibly the Peace Walker.

And Days is Portable Ops.

KH1, 2 and BBS had final mixes, MGS 1, 2 and 3 had special editions.

I think you cracked the code! Lets pray MGSV doesn't suck for all our sake.

aravuus

I'm kind of glad to see some hate for Flowmotion. The very first moment I got to use it, I knew it'll completely destroy the level design. Someone said "at least it's better than KH2's" way back when - I disagree. Nothing wrong with a linear design. Everything wrong with what we got in DDD.

Goddamn it I hated that stuff. I would have liked the pokemon system WAAAY more if all the abilities stayed with me. Maybe give a smaller amount of abilities to learn. At least then collecting those guys would have been somewhat interesting. Also they should have killed off the random system of feeding the guys and the minigames, and just give a plausible amount of whatever the ability points were called in battle.

Tsunamo

The whole idea of 50hz games in the PAL region (up until PS3/360/Wii gen) blowed my mind when I found out. I'm so glad that's over, FFX wont be the same without a moonwalking Tidus though.

Kingdom Hearts is a joy to play in 60hz now compared to playing it with borders and at 25fps. A boss battle with an extremely underleveled Sora feels about as fast as a normal boss battle took on the PAL version.
Finally got to see that interview where Nomutra said he crammed infinite-walljump-abuse FlowMotion into KH:DDD over the protestations of the Osaka Team who correctly pointed out that it destroys the level design and said that it's the future of the KH series.

Ugh, it makes so much more sense. I knew the Osaka team was better at game design than that.
Dear god why, DDD could have been such a better game.
It explains quite a lot about how it turned out. Seems like there might have been quite a few conflicting design decisions between Nomura and the team during its development.

The whole idea of 50hz games in the PAL region (up until PS3/360/Wii gen) blowed my mind when I found out. I'm so glad that's over, FFX wont be the same without a moonwalking Tidus though.

Kingdom Hearts is a joy to play in 60hz now compared to playing it with borders and at 25fps. A boss battle with an extremely underleveled Sora feels about as fast as a normal boss battle took on the PAL version.Dear god why, DDD could have been such a better game.
It explains quite a lot about how it turned out. Seems like there might have been quite a few conflicting design decisions between Nomura and the team during its development.
Well, that and it was clearly rushed. The game's levels and bosses etc. are pretty good, the actual normal-combat moveset is pretty good, but so much other stuff is unfocused and the game feels so much smaller and shorter than a full KH game like 1/2/BBS.

Have I already made a megapost how fuckin terrible the balancing in DDD was? I should but I don't even want to remember. 50% of the combat mechanics down the drain and no fucks given.
Does Nomura come off to you as a man that wouldn't retcon everything to have his way with gameplay?
Kingdom Hearts is such a shitty series. Just bring me a gun and Ill shoot myself.

Accually dont I want to play 1.5 first bring me after.
I leave for a week and now Napalm hates KH.

Napalmu!!!!

Soriku

KH2_Gullwings.png

Dear god the EYES.

Some kind souls has been uploading some 1.5 song remixes if you guys are interested.

Ugh. I just want to see what they can cook up with KH3 when they go for a full orchestrated OST right from the getgo. Kingdom Hearts 3 needs to be forged and with it the door to the console war unlocked!

This... this is amazing! Imagine what we will get with Happy Holidays! and The Other Promise *drools*

I'm already the top poster in here by a large margin because of my bullshit. I should just shut up and let this thread die mwahaha
This thread is alive only because of the KH Days hate

:c

like any time the thread is close to dying somebody says "Hey you know how much Days sucks?" and then it picks up from there.

just kidding
I think

Groof

This thread is alive only because of the KH Days hate

:c

like any time the thread is close to dying somebody says "Hey you know how much Days sucks?" and then it picks up from there.

just kidding
I think

Speaking of, Days is really, really bad. Doesn't even deserve to exist, just like Xion. :mad:

No need to when we all know Nomura will retcon it anyway. He has already started!

You mean, Blank Points? I don't know if they will bring Xion back, it's not that clear after all.

I did cry.
At all the wasted hours I spent on that sorry excuse of a cash in.

but, but Roxas... and Xion.. T_T
yeah, it was just fanservice, japan really loves the Organization and nomura has a thing with the number 13

However i can't hate it, i really enjoyed it, but that's me and my awful taste (i know it) so whatever.

Groof

but, but Roxas... and Xion.. T_T
yeah, it was just fanservice, japan really loves the Organization and nomura has a thing with the number 13

However i can't hate it, i really enjoyed it, but that's me and my awful taste (i know it) so whatever.

Roxas can go fuck himself and Xion... well, Xion is alright, but she was a useless character that was created "just because." She was the character they made up just to spice things up a bit because they didn't know how to otherwise make a compelling story out of a bunch of already boring characters.

People can love it all they want, I'm just saying I think it was a very pointless cash in that everyone could've saved money on. SE on making it and the fans on not buying it.

Groof

>: |
So who is your favorite KH character anyway, Groof?

Donald, probably.

But if we're speaking original characters, I did like Aqua quite a bit. Larxene was a fun one as well. KH1!Ansem was fun before he became what he became, picking on 14 year old kids and being all holier-than-thou. That's about it, I guess.

Xigbar is automatically the best character for having the best battle quote in all the games. ''R for reload!''

My favourite characters are probably pre KH2 Sora (+Donald, Goofy), post KH2 Riku (tho I did like him as a villain in KH1) he is especially good in DDD and CoM. By far my least favourite major character must be Xemnas.

I don't hate Roxas or Xion at all. They are just mostly stuck in the shitty game. But hey we can hope for Youngblades sake Roxas+Xion get their own good game someday so he doesn't need to suffer this :lol.

Donald, probably.

I'd like to agree but from the Disney characters I have to give Goofy a slight edge for a few reasons even tho I am much more of a Donald nut outside KH.

aravuus

I'd like to agree but from the Disney characters I have to give Goofy a slight edge for a few reasons even tho I am much more of a Donald nut outside KH.

Every Finn is man, we get weekly Donald :lol

I also think Donald's the best one. Out of the original characters, I'd normally probably say Sora since he's just all-around a likeable guy, but I didn't like him in DDD at all. And I loved Riku in DDD, and thought he was pretty awesome in KH1 and KH2 too. So Riku.

Top Bottom