• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kingdom Hearts Community Thread: Now everybody can be a Keyblade Wielder!

Soriku

I'll pull this thread out of the darkness.

I really love the Calling -Remix- on Dream Drop Distance. No matter how bad Kingdom Hearts gets—which is totally debatable of course—the music will always be top notch.

This is probably my first or second favorite rendition of it. Someday is also really good.

The orchestrated version in 2.5 should be pretty good.

I can't believe how much less painful Atlantica is when you can look down freely. It still sucks, mind you, but it sucks less now.

- I defeated Ursula's first form, but I still don't have Guard so it's time to do some questing.
- All obtainable trinities and dalmatians are done, and I have won the Pegasus Cup and Solo Phil Cup. That Combo Plus is going to be handy.
- I STILL don't have Guard, but there's no way I'm going to fight her now. Off to Halloween Town next.

New trophies:
Win the Pegasus Cup
Open 100 chests (didn't expect to get it so soon)
Clear a Solo Challenge in the Coliseum

Succubi Pie

Neo Member
This is probably my first or second favorite rendition of it. Someday is also really good.

The orchestrated version in 2.5 should be pretty good.

It took me a moment to warm up to Calling. Then I replayed TWEWY and now I can't decide which I like better. Still not too fond of Someday. I'm forever going to be upset more of the tracks weren't used. Like if Beat showed up and Game Over (like an instrumental) started.

I can't believe how much less painful Atlantica is when you can look down freely. It still sucks, mind you, but it sucks less now.

- I defeated Ursula's first form, but I still don't have Guard so it's time to do some questing.
- All obtainable trinities and dalmatians are done, and I have won the Pegasus Cup and Solo Phil Cup. That Combo Plus is going to be handy.
- I STILL don't have Guard, but there's no way I'm going to fight her now. Off to Halloween Town next.

New trophies:
Win the Pegasus Cup
Open 100 chests (didn't expect to get it so soon)
Clear a Solo Challenge in the Coliseum

I don't think Guard is particularly essential to beating Ursula...

I don't think Guard is particularly essential to beating Ursula...

It's for Halloween Town. The reason I do Atlantica before Halloween Town is to get Guard and Treasure of Sea, because if I didn't want both of those I'd wait until after Hollow Bastion.
I wasn't very happy with the EXP I needed to get Guard so I just equipped all my Megalixirs and cheesed her out to get EXP. I HATE HATE HATE that boss.

I'm now collecting the ingredients for the Heart in HT, but did a few stops here and there to get the rest of the Arts for Goofy's Guard of Dream. I'm almost there!
Too bad I won't play anymore until sunday because I'll be away from home, but the bright side is that it's going to be an awesome saturday full of Street Fighter and BBQ :D

New trophies:
Close Atlantica's keyhole.

It's for Halloween Town. The reason I do Atlantica before Halloween Town is to get Guard and Treasure of Sea, because if I didn't want both of those I'd wait until after Hollow Bastion.
I wasn't very happy with the EXP I needed to get Guard so I just equipped all my Megalixirs and cheesed her out to get EXP. I HATE HATE HATE that boss.

I'm now collecting the ingredients for the Heart in HT, but did a few stops here and there to get the rest of the Arts for Goofy's Guard of Dream. I'm almost there!
Too bad I won't play anymore until sunday because I'll be away from home, but the bright side is that it's going to be an awesome saturday full of Street Fighter and BBQ :D

New trophies:
Close Atlantica's keyhole.

I'd even say Guard isn't super-important for Halloween Town. Halloween Town, for me, was absolutely about going heavy on the magic offense. But yeah, the mummy-type Heartless do hit pretty hard and hit a wide area with their spinning-arms attack, so if you prefer to be in-your-face and whack them to death, Guard would probably be extremely helpful there.

3D and Birth by Sleep both have pretty great soundtracks, and a lot of why I like both has to do with the variety you get between Shimomura, Ishimoto and Sekito on both OSTs.

This Dream Eater boss theme's one of my favorites. It's a bit different from the KH norm, but it's a good kind of different.

Seda

3D and Birth by Sleep both have pretty great soundtracks, and a lot of why I like both has to do with the variety you get between Shimomura, Ishimoto and Sekito on both OSTs.

This Dream Eater boss theme's one of my favorites. It's a bit different from the KH norm, but it's a good kind of different.

That's my favorite too.

I'd even say Guard isn't super-important for Halloween Town. Halloween Town, for me, was absolutely about going heavy on the magic offense. But yeah, the mummy-type Heartless do hit pretty hard and hit a wide area with their spinning-arms attack, so if you prefer to be in-your-face and whack them to death, Guard would probably be extremely helpful there.

It's more fun than necessity. I love guarding against white knights and gargoyles.

Succubi Pie

Neo Member
I thought flow motion was fun.

*runs away*

I think it'd be better on an actual controller. After you get the hang of it it's easier, but when I first tried it in the demo I went all over the place and could never wall bounce in the right direction. Saw a youtuber's walkthrough of it and figured out the tricks to staying in the air and not missing something and falling forever.

Flowmotion is a decent concept, and at first, it's pretty fun, but it really should have been tied to a progression system. Giving you all of that right off of the bat wasn't a good idea because

- You get a huge area of effect attack right off the bat. Doesn't help that it can pretty much carry players for the first half of the game, and it makes most normal enemy encounters a joke.

- It makes nearly all of the other movement abilities that the series is known for entirely redundant. What's the point of High Jump/Doubleflight when you can just infinite wall jump? Why wait until you get Glide/Superglide to get that one treasure in an alcove suspended over a huge area when you can just infinite wall jump over to it?

- You don't have the option to turn it off entirely. You can disable just about every Flowmotion ability except for the wall jumping, which means it's still possible to accidentally start a wall jump while dodge rolling near a wall. This wouldn't be so bad if the animation for Sora/Riku latching to a wall leaves them wide open.

Kind of a shame that Nomura kinda forced it on the team, especially since the Osaka team initially voiced the same balance/ability redundancy concerns.

I wouldn't mind seeing Wall Jumping at the very least come back in future games, but it's definitely something that needs to be restricted at first, and gradually opened up as the character progresses through the game. It shouldn't have to come at the expense of other game mechanics.

Trigger

You know I was playing KH2 recently, I jumped and tried to flowmotion off a wall.

I was really sad.

:(

If anything, that just reminds me of how much the series has grown. I appreciate how the team has differentiated their approach with each entry regardless of them being spin off games and prequels. I can only imagine how much my grandchildren will enjoy KH3.

This usually doesn't happen, but I spent a lot of time today wandering around Boogie looking for the last ball. So annoying.

Only Neverland left now before I start exploring places with Glide!

New Trophies:
Seal Halloween Town's keyhole

Groof

hB7nZlL.gif

Things are starting to heat up!
- I had a lot of trouble with Hook, but managed to beat him in the first try. Not a fan of minions trying to screw my fight with the boss.
- Hercules was easy as pie, as always. Looking forward to the hidden matches.
- Started Hollow Bastion up to the first boss fight to get the White Trinity. With it and Glide, I could finally do the last rundown on every world and get every treasure, puppy and trinity I can.
- Next stop is Hollow Bastion, imo the best KH1 world.

New Trophies:
Defeat 2000 heartless (wow)
Seal Neverland's keyhole
Beat a time trial challenge in the coliseum
Win the Hercules Cup
Seal Olympus Coliseum's keyhole

Succubi Pie

Neo Member
So, I can't be the only one who likes to go through the menus right? Whoever chose the sfx did a good job. It's a small thing, but I like it.

raven777

Just beat KH1 again with HD1.5ReMix.

Overall the HD version looked gorgeous, but I really still hate some parts of this game like Gummi ship and finiding my way (yea tarzan stage I am talking about you)

I am thinking if I should bother with CoM. Is it good?
Thinking of just watching 358/2 and play BBS.

Jubern

Overall the HD version looked gorgeous, but I really still hate some parts of this game like Gummi ship and finiding my way (yea tarzan stage I am talking about you)

I played Re:CoM when HD Remix came out, right after finishing FM. I remember liking the GBA version quite a bit but I didn't played the PS2 version much (despite having KH2FM+ lol).

At first I thought and it was okay and everything, but by the end I was pretty much sick of it. I rushed the last levels with Sora, and plowed through Riku's story.
It's only really worth it for the plot, which happens between each world and in Traverse Town & last "world".

raven777

I played Re:CoM when HD Remix came out, right after finishing FM. I remember liking the GBA version quite a bit but I didn't played the PS2 version much (despite having KH2FM+ lol).

At first I thought and it was okay and everything, but by the end I was pretty much sick of it. I rushed the last levels with Sora, and plowed through Riku's story.
It's only really worth it for the plot, which happens between each world and in Traverse Town & last "world".

how long is the playtime for Re:CoM?

I kinda know the story of CoM little bit from various spoilers and GT's KH timeline.

Re:CoM is pretty good, IMO, but read up on some general advice for how to play the game.

Sorry for the dp.

I just tested it today. It's fixed. Restarting takes you to the first fight with no glitches. I wanted to get Gravity Break sooner =/

Suggestions on which to do first? Beat kh1,2,COM

I'd probably just play them in release order. It matches the chronological order (not that any of them really depend on the story of the other for understanding/enjoyment) and more importantly Re:coded is a somewhat lighter game that also mixes up the gameplay quite a bit at times, making for a nice breather between Days and Dream.

We're generally in agreement that KH 2.5 won't get announced until TGS and that we won't hear about KH3 until after 2.5 is out in JP/NA/EU, yes?

Top Bottom