• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kingdom Hearts Community Thread: Now everybody can be a Keyblade Wielder!

I'd hope that they actually listen to the criticisms against how it was implemented in 3D if they're planning to use it in III and design it accordingly.

Giving everything to you right off the bat was an incredibly bad idea.

I think stuff like rail-sliding being always available is fine, or pole-spinning or what have you, but either you should unlock new moves via progression (so, basically, in addition to high jump/double jump/glide/superglide) or flowmotion should use up a special meter. I'd probably prefer if it didn't lead into special attacks, too (it should just be a way to get around - it shouldn't lead people to keep spamming the same move over and over again).

Also, it should never, ever, ever, under any circumstances whatsoever be possible.to chain wall-jumps until you hit the ceiling of a level. Fuck, that ruined DDD's level design (and some areas/chests were even *designed* around that incredibly unfun process).

ZenaxPure

I'd probably prefer if it didn't lead into special attacks.

I actually wouldn't mind this myself, mostly because as much as I like flowmotion I don't like that it's just a special attack outside of any sort of normal melee combos. If they don't want to let you customize it I would actually rather them just make it another ability for your moveset. I think the system would work better if you could cancel out of attacks and immediately go into a wall jump/rail grind/whatever. Basically what you can sorta kinda already do with Dash commands in the handheld games anyway. I would actually love it if when you came down from rail grinding or a wall jump if you could immediately just go into a combo. Because that is where flowmotion shines, as a tool to get from one enemy to another, but it was held back by forcing you to either use a special attack or just land on the ground before you started attacking.

I actually wouldn't mind this myself, mostly because as much as I like flowmotion I don't like that it's just a special attack outside of any sort of normal melee combos. If they don't want to let you customize it I would actually rather them just make it another ability for your moveset. I think the system would work better if you could cancel out of attacks and immediately go into a wall jump/rail grind/whatever. Basically what you can sorta kinda already do with Dash commands in the handheld games anyway. I would actually love it if when you came down from rail grinding or a wall jump if you could immediately just go into a combo. Because that is where flowmotion shines, as a tool to get from one enemy to another, but it was held back by forcing you to either use a special attack or just land on the ground before you started attacking.

Right, exactly. Early on FlowMotion was overpowered for combat, and late in the game it was just an annoying distraction that made it harder for you to jump straight into real combat.

These gummi ship missions are really annoying. Easily the most boring and frustrating part of the game...

New trophies obtained:
Destroy over 2500 enemy ships
Complete a lv3 mission

JCX

I'm finally finishing up Re:Coded. So angry that
you can't save at all between the final boss battles in Hollow Bastion. Took me forever to finish.
Glad to finish it soon so I can continue playing DDD.

Tsunamo

The fact that there's been a lot of talk by Nomura on Kingdom Hearts III battle system being a evolution of DDD's worrys me aswell. I think a system similar to flowmotion be pulled off right without being too much of a hinderance to the gameplay and platforming, but DDD didn't excecute that well, heres to hoping III does it right. (or at least better)
These gummi ship missions are really annoying. Easily the most boring and frustrating part of the game...

New trophies obtained:
Destroy over 2500 enemy ships
Complete a lv3 mission
Yeah, the gummi ship missions were the final thing I ended up doing to get platinum. Some of those mission requirements are rediculous (didn't help that I had to cross-reference a translation guide and never was good at making gummi ships)

I'm expecting KH2FM's gummi mission trophys to be even more hard :(
I did some KH drawings today and surprisingly Roxas was the one that came out ok lol
You put extra effort in because it was Roxas, didn't you? :p

Yeah, the gummi ship missions were the final thing I ended up doing to get platinum. Some of those mission requirements are rediculous (didn't help that I had to cross-reference a translation guide and never was good at making gummi ships)

I'm expecting KH2FM's gummi mission trophys to be even more hard :( You put extra effort in because it was Roxas, didn't you? :p
I'm not in the mood to fight Seph/Unknown or clearing Hades Time Trial, so I decided to get it out of the way early.

About KH2, I don't think they should be that hard. Many people couldn't beat the game on Critical so they resorted to complete the missions. I mean, if your skills aren't enough to play Proud or Critical, but you can beat the missions, that means they aren't that bad, right?

RPGCrazied

So, do you think Kingdom Hearts ReMix will get special packaging like Final Fantasy X|X-2 HD is getting? Its getting the same type 24 page artbook so, surely it would.

Enfinit

I'm finally finishing up Re:Coded. So angry that
you can't save at all between the final boss battles in Hollow Bastion. Took me forever to finish.
Glad to finish it soon so I can continue playing DDD.

I started Re:Coded but couldn't get through it. It just seems so pointless and monotonous. What keeps you playing? DDD has been sitting on my shelf for a year and the fact that I haven't finished Re:Coded is the only thing that's stopping me from playing DDD (because for some weird reason I must finish Re:Coded first).

Jubern

For the non-native English speakers here: After a weird statement from Nomura last week about how "KH1.5 will not feature French voices" (whereas it was previously announced that the European dubs for KH Final Mix would be in), a fansite reached to Square-Enix France who confirmed that the French, German, Spanish and Italian dubs had indeed been scrapped.

(source: http://www.khdestiny.fr/news-1317-KH-HD-15-ReMIX-l-abandon-du-doublage-francais.html)

I was going to double-dip on the French 1.5, now fuck it. Guess it spells the end for any hope of having KH3 dubbed in anything other than JP/EN too... Welp, I'll stick to Japanese I guess.

For the non-native English speakers here: After a weird statement from Nomura last week about how "KH1.5 will not feature French voices" (whereas it was previously announced that the European dubs for KH Final Mix would be in), a fansite reached to Square-Enix France who confirmed that the French, German, Spanish and Italian dubs had indeed been scrapped.

(source: http://www.khdestiny.fr/news-1317-KH-HD-15-ReMIX-l-abandon-du-doublage-francais.html)

I was going to double-dip on the French 1.5, now fuck it. Guess it spells the end for any hope of having KH3 dubbed in anything other than JP/EN too... Welp, I'll stick to Japanese I guess.

It's hilarious that people who can speak/understand English perfectly well would want to play KH in Japanese over English.

This isn't like an FF game, people. It's a Disney game. With tons of voice from Donald and Goofy and also Mickey, who should preferentially be heard in English*.

*or italian! <3 paperino

ZenaxPure

I started Re:Coded but couldn't get through it. It just seems so pointless and monotonous. What keeps you playing?

Well I can't speak for them, but, what kept me playing was the fact that the core combat was ripped straight from BBS. It had some downsides brought on by the fact that the game had no analog stick (hate 3D games without an analog stick myself) which also made selecting attacks really annoying. But once you got used to the control scheme it was a lot of fun to murder dudes. For some reason the game also had some commands that weren't in 3D or BBS such as a proper launcher skill so you could extend your combos by knocking them up before a ground combo ended and go right into an aerial combo.

Also imo the stat matrix is still the best system the series has ever had for character progression. I really enjoyed how you could customize all of it and earn stat bonuses by doing specific stuff.

And the concept of changing the genre of the game every single world was really appealing to me for some reason. Playing an adventure game, then an action rpg, then randomly a mario rpg-style turn based game was fucking bizarre and cool.

Jubern

I can speak/understand Japanese pretty much just as well, and have no attachment at all to the English voice of the Disney characters (nor English dubs in general). I really don't care about the language of the Disney voices if they're not in French.
On the other hand, I'm a big anime/JP games fan, to the point I can easily recognize most Japanese VA.

It's my choice and it's not like I'm yelling "GIMME DUAL AUDIO PLZ".

re:coded stuff
Basically my opinion. The game is very fast fun to play. Plus I loved the shotting, side-scrolling and turn-based RPG.

Altough I really liked the stat matrix, the panel board is still my favorite.

I can speak/understand Japanese pretty much just as well, and have no attachment at all to the English voice of the Disney characters (nor English dubs in general). I really don't care about the language of the Disney voices if they're not in French.
On the other hand, I'm a big anime/JP games fan, to the point I can easily recognize most Japanese VA.

It's my choice and it's not like I'm yelling "GIMME DUAL AUDIO PLZ".
Pretty much the same for me. If there was a portuguese version I might have cared about the Disney characters, but since there isn't the FF and KH characters get the preference, which is japanese for me.

ZenaxPure

Altough I really liked the stat matrix, the panel board is still my favorite.

I actually thought the stat matrix was an evolution of the panel system in a lot of ways. They share a lot of very similar ideas, which is cool. Either way, both systems are miles ahead of character progression in the other games.

RPGCrazied

Question for Kingdom Heart ReMix importers.

Can you switch games via the menu, or do you have to exit to the xbm? I'm playing Metal Gear Solid HD, and this might be the first collection you can switch games without having to exit the game to the xbm.

Question for Kingdom Heart ReMix importers.

Can you switch games via the menu, or do you have to exit to the xbm? I'm playing Metal Gear Solid HD, and this might be the first collection you can switch games without having to exit the game to the xbm.

The title screen for each part of the collection has a "Back" option that'll send you back to the game selection screen. You can just soft reset during the game to get to each game's respective title screen.

god damn it there's a limited edition to FF X + X-2 HD and there's a limited edition to KH 1.5 HD ReMIX :c
I can't choose.
There's also tales of Graces f and Xillia and Xillia 2 next year. Jesus Christ I'll never be done with the Playstation 3.

RPGCrazied

Ok, cool. Will save some time.

god damn it there's a limited edition to FF X + X-2 HD and there's a limited edition to KH 1.5 HD ReMIX :c
I can't choose.
There's also tales of Graces f and Xillia and Xillia 2 next year. Jesus Christ I'll never be done with the Playstation 3.

Just artbooks, though FFX|FFX-2 is getting a sexy box to hold the game and artbook. I hope KH gets this too. It was just said an artbook and nothing else.

aravuus

Alright, I finally get to play Birth By Sleep for the first time! Of course I already know the story, but I'm excited to finally get to try out the ~~best KH battle system eva~~

I've only done the tutorial fights so far but I already love the amount of sub-systems. Levelable finishers, levelable commands, that shooting attack that uses focus and so on. This may yet end up being my favorite battle system in the series after all.

botty

Banned
Alright, I finally get to play Birth By Sleep for the first time! Of course I already know the story, but I'm excited to finally get to try out the ~~best KH battle system eva~~

Who are you going to use first? Each character kind of has a different feel.

botty

Banned
Play Aqua last because the narrative flows better into the Final chapter. I would only play Terra last if I wanted to avoid his crappy plotline.

Also the most important gameplay tip:
Fira+Fira+Wellspring Crystal=Once More
Blizzara+Blizzara+Pulsing Crystal=Second Chance

I think Leaf Bracer was Aero+Aero+Pulsing (might be different crystal)

aravuus

VTA then! No time to regret the decision, it's done!

Going from the very short tutorial battles, it's seems like Ventus controls closest to Sora from the other games. Terra is such a slow hitter, you probably have to think more and not just mash buttons, whereas Aqua falls in the middle with obvious alignment to the magical from the physical.

e: I'll keep those in mind Frank, thanks

How come? I remember reading that only Ven and Aqua's order matter storywise so it's not important if you play Terra before or after them, but is there a specific reason? I'm right now in the character selection screen lol
Personally I find Terra more slow and boring at first, he does have some sweet moves tho. His dash is also pretty slow early on but you get 2 dashes so I guess that gets better. Also Aqua and Ventus having the most important storyline first is exactly why you should play those two first.

VTA then! No time to regret the decision, it's done!

Going from the very short tutorial battles, it's seems like Ventus controls closest to Sora from the other games. Terra is such a slow hitter, you probably have to think more and not just mash buttons, whereas Aqua falls in the middle with obvious alignment to the magical from the physical.

e: I'll keep those in mind Frank, thanks

You doing vanilla or Final Mix? I'm right now on my 3rd (or 4th?) playthrough on my new PSP:GO too. At Terras campaing about halfway. Tho it is currently on hiatus since I'm doing Dangan Rompa right now.

The reason for VTA getting my vote is thus: from gameplay perspective it is annoying going from long range melee to short range melee character. Also Terras final boss is the hardest one so you perhaps wouldn't want that as your first. Having Terra in the middle gives you breathing room from fighting Vanitas all the time.

As for story reasons Terras campaing spoils Vanitas story at the middle point while it is clearly meant to be revealed for the first time playing Ventus's campaing. Also X-blade nonsense is really jarring if you don't do Ventus first.

Aqua is clearly best played last no matter what you think about Terra and Ven.

Lastly I do not know why I use the silly word ''campaing''. I blame strategy games.

aravuus

Fair reasons. I'm doing vanilla.

I'm playing this command board minigame right now, I have absolutely no idea what I'm doing but this seems like it could be a LOT of fun. It's used to, what, level up the commands? Get new ones? I thought they were leveled by using them. Whatever the case is, it's already a ton more fun than those DDD minigames.. Ugh.

I'm also reading Dangan Ronpa which I'll probably try and finish before I really get into BBS, so KH may have to wait a few more days.

Fair reasons. I'm doing vanilla.

I'm playing this command board minigame right now, I have absolutely no idea what I'm doing but this seems like it could be a LOT of fun. It's used to, what, level up the commands? Get new ones? I thought they were leveled by using them. Whatever the case is, it's already a ton more fun than those DDD minigames.. Ugh.

I'm also reading Dangan Ronpa which I'll probably try and finish before I really get into BBS, so KH may have to wait a few more days.

You mainly level up commands on command board. You can get new ones if you buy one on a space you stand. It's basically monopoly. Also after you have done Disney Town you can get Pete D-Link from command board if you are lucky.

If you use D-Links I recommend using Aqua always till you have her fully upgraded since it is overall good D-link+full upgrade ability is Auto-Life and that is pretty much the best D-Link ability.

You level up commands outside too just by killing dudes so you don't have to play it if you don't want to.

Honestly, I recommend Terra -> Ven -> Aqua not for plot reasons (Though that is an idea path as well), but because going from Terra, to Ven to Aqua eases you into the game's mechanics a lot better than any other route. Terra has hard hitting melee strikes with ridiculous range, and a lot of room for error. His unique command styles are fairly straightforward, and his story pretty much plays as a primer on the importance of melee attacks, blocking, and countering. With Ventus, it's less about killing things fast (as evidenced by his lower strength stat in comparison to the other two characters) and more about using all of the movement abilities given to you (Reversal, Homing Slide, various elemental variations of Dodge Roll, Air Slide, etc.) to evade and navigate around enemies. By the time you get to Aqua's story, you'd likely proficient enough with said skills that you can start experimenting with the truckload of unique spells Aqua has, and be familiar enough with the mechanical nuances of the game that you'll pretty easily wreck stuff with her.

I do agree that TVA is ok too but I still stand behind VTA being the best way especially for the first time. But Aqua must be played last.

One thing that really annoys me about BBS side quest tho: you need to do stupid minigame stuff to raise your Arena level. Whyyyyyyyyyyy??? That is so stooopid. I don't remember how it is in Vanilla but in FM you need to do pretty much everything to unlock No Heart and Eraqus Armor. Like do I REALLY need to play Command Board 8 times specifically at the arena? Do I REALLY need to do the racing minigame again specifically at the arena? I already did both things! And all I got from the second one was an ugly keyblade!

BTW the new Monstro boss isn't very good :lol.

aravuus

Haha alright, good thing I'm not aiming for 100% the first time around so I can just skip any tedious side quests.

The command board is a lot of fun though, I think I pretty much got the hang of it. I came third though still got new stuff, so I guess it doesn't really matter if you win or lose?

Haha alright, good thing I'm not aiming for 100% the first time around so I can just skip any tedious side quests.

The command board is a lot of fun though, I think I pretty much got the hang of it. I came third though still got new stuff, so I guess it doesn't really matter if you win or lose?

Nah it doesn't matter. Well at least you can do the 2 superbosses without tedious shit if you want unlike with FM. I really think BBS FM feels pretty ''meh'' compared to the western version. I think it lacks the soul of the previous 2.

The best thing about it is pretty much the secret episode with Aqua in ROD. And that thing is super short. You could also arque it is pretty lame to have a regular heartless as a new last boss. Welp, can't complain when the japanese vanilla was lacking some good stuff so it is more for them anyway.

I think the reason why BBS FM isn't as fun as the other 2 is that BBS FM pretty much focuses only on late game side stuff while KH1 and 2 fm improve the normal playthrough as well. The only thing BBS FM adds in normal playthrough is pretty much the unversed missions... and they kinda suck. KH1FM gives you more customizable character with the new finishing moves and that affects the game right from the start. KH2 adds Limit Form right from the beginning and the optional CoM bosses accross the story, adds Roxas to the story, new cutscenes and all that stuff.

What KHFM lacked in extra content, it made up by completely overhauling the game's balance. KHIIFM was building off of a game that already had a ton of problems, so there was a lot of room for improvement. Birth by Sleep's international release was already a pretty well rounded game, so there wasn't much they could do but add some extra content and tweak some stuff for the Final Mix.

What is there is good enough, though. Mirage Arena's a lot less time consuming thanks to be restructured to fit the three new bosses, the side missions are an amusing little diversion (They're pretty much the equivalent to the bonus Heartless in KHFM), and most of the new bosses in the game are pretty fun. It's not a must have like KHIIFM, but it's definitely the ideal version of the game.

What KHFM lacked in extra content, it made up by completely overhauling the game's balance. KHIIFM was building off of a game that already had a ton of problems, so there was a lot of room for improvement. Birth by Sleep's international release was already a pretty well rounded game, so there wasn't much they could do but add some extra content and tweak some stuff for the Final Mix.

What is there is good enough, though. Mirage Arena's a lot less time consuming thanks to be restructured to fit the three new bosses, the side missions are an amusing little diversion (They're pretty much the equivalent to the bonus Heartless in KHFM), and most of the new bosses in the game are pretty fun. It's not a must have like KHIIFM, but it's definitely the ideal version of the game.
Well I wouldn't go back to Vanilla but it feels like playing the exact same game unlike FM1 and FM2.

Shame that DDD didn't get an FM. That shit needs fixing just as badly as KH2. Edit: correction: even more so than KH2. KH2 balancing was fine with the exeption of it being a bit too easy.

I have whined about this before but I hope if they want to do a KH3FM they'd give it as an DLC option so it would probably get western release too.

Honestly, I recommend Terra -> Ven -> Aqua not for plot reasons (Though that is an idea path as well), but because going from Terra, to Ven to Aqua eases you into the game's mechanics a lot better than any other route. Terra has hard hitting melee strikes with ridiculous range, and a lot of room for error. His unique command styles are fairly straightforward, and his story pretty much plays as a primer on the importance of melee attacks, blocking, and countering. With Ventus, it's less about killing things fast (as evidenced by his lower strength stat in comparison to the other two characters) and more about using all of the movement abilities given to you (Reversal, Homing Slide, various elemental variations of Dodge Roll, Air Slide, etc.) to evade and navigate around enemies. By the time you get to Aqua's story, you'd likely proficient enough with said skills that you can start experimenting with the truckload of unique spells Aqua has, and be familiar enough with the mechanical nuances of the game that you'll pretty easily wreck stuff with her.

That's pretty sensible (and yeah, apart from Terra's difficult final boss fight, it's pretty close to capturing the difficulty level shifts).

Ventus *does* have those two moves that deal area damage while healing him, though. Those are pretty much fantastic spammable win buttons.
Well I wouldn't go back to Vanilla but it feels like playing the exact same game unlike FM1 and FM2.

Shame that DDD didn't get an FM. That shit needs fixing just as badly as KH2.
Agreed, but DDD's problem is partly that it's too unfocused - it's not just that it feels like it's missing stuff (though it does feel that way), it's that the Dream Eaters and Riku's terribad Command Styles and Sora's Dream Eater co-op moves and the Drop System are all big obvious flaws that can't be fixed through addition because they're too deeply ingrained into the game's structure and the problems are too inherent. Likewise for FlowMotion and the way it fundamentally impacts (or in some cases, ignores) level design.

At least Flick Rush is alright, although it's inferior to BBS's Command Board.

Top Bottom