• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kingdom Hearts Community Thread: Now everybody can be a Keyblade Wielder!

Oh God, these are the conditions for each trophy? That's really bad. Beat the game in less than 15 hours means no farming at all.
The conditionals are not difficulty restricted, so you can just blast trough Beginner mode, which you'll have to clear anyway for the difficulty trophy.

The conditionals are not difficulty restricted, so you can just blast trough Beginner mode, which you'll have to clear anyway for the difficulty trophy.

Yeah, you're right. But i'll start playing in proud mode to 100% everything, then I'll try make both the 15 hours or less and no continues playtroughs.

botty

Banned
I've been rewatching the KH3 vids, and I am wondering if these Disney attraction summons will try to combine rhythm based gameplay with QTEs. The Pirate Ship seems to have a flow to it similar to the swing mini game in KH1. And I couldn't help but wonder if the absence of <Push Triangle> from the Rock Titan segment wasn't due to Nomura allowing the player to develop skill in their reactions/counter attacks.

Protag

Banned
yeah so square officially sucks, do not ever buy from their online store Gaf.

i never got my 1.5 collectors edition, and im not even sure if they charged me.

tried calling them? nope, didnt work, they have no way of speaking to a representative.

what a shame.

Tsunamo

I definitely think we'll get a Kingdom Hearts II.5 date at Jump Festa if it's coming out Q1 next year (for Japan), if not I'm going to assume it's coming later in 2014.

Hopefully we get some good BBSHD gameplay footage from there.

txag2005

Banned
So I just got my copy of HD 1.5 delivered. I can't wait to jump into this series.

A quick question regarding play order. Should the games be played in the order that the games are listed in the OP?

-KH 1
-Chain of Memories
-KH 2
-358/2
-Birth by Sleep
-Coded (apparently this game sucks and is worth skipping?)
-Dream Drop Distance

Looks like 1.5 gets me the first two and then I'll have to dig up a copy of KH 2 or wait for the 2.5 release (who knows when that comes out in the West).

Soriku

So I just got my copy of HD 1.5 delivered. I can't wait to jump into this series.

A quick question regarding play order. Should the games be played in the order that the games are listed in the OP?

-KH 1
-Chain of Memories
-KH 2
-358/2
-Birth by Sleep
-Coded (apparently this game sucks and is worth skipping?)
-Dream Drop Distance

Looks like 1.5 gets me the first two and then I'll have to dig up a copy of KH 2 or wait for the 2.5 release (who knows when that comes out in the West).

That's the order the games released in so yeah. But there's not much harm in experiencing Days before KH2. If I were you I'd just wait for 2.5 Remix.

txag2005

Banned
That's the order the games released in so yeah. But there's not much harm in experiencing Days before KH2. If I were you I'd just wait for 2.5 Remix.

358/2 is just cutscenes in the 1.5 remix right? I just did a quick search and there are plenty of used copies out there in my area for the DS version. That is unless the general consensus is that the game isn't worth playing.

358/2 is just cutscenes in the 1.5 remix right? I just did a quick search and there are plenty of used copies out there in my area for the DS version. That is unless the general consensus is that the game isn't worth playing.

It isn't a good game, that is pretty much it. Tho it's not like the cutscenes alone are much better for many reasons so pick your poison ect.

And I am on the camp that would never recommend doing Days before KH2 if it can be helped.

txag2005

Banned
It isn't a good game, that is pretty much it. Tho it's not like the cutscenes alone are much better for many reasons so pick your poison ect.

And I am on the camp that would never recommend doing Days before KH2 if it can be helped.

My backlog is plenty long enough so I'm all for skipping games that aren't worth it.

What KH games should are worth playing? I imagine KH1 and 2 would be, but of the DS/PSP/3DS games, are any worth it?

Soriku

My backlog is plenty long enough so I'm all for skipping games that aren't worth it.

What KH games should are worth playing? I imagine KH1 and 2 would be, but of the DS/PSP/3DS games, are any worth it?

At least BBS (included in 2.5) and DDD.

Caladrius

Birth By Sleep and Dream Drop Distance are good (or at least solid).

Watch the rest.

Actually don't bother with coded, period.

The "mainline titles" as in the ones that are not filler and that have brand new original content are 1, 2 BBS and DDD. In addition to those Chain of Memories is the most important storyvise but the battle system with cards is a major turnoff to some. Here would be my foolproof guide to a newcomer to the series:

Step 1:play KH Final Mix on the 1.5 HD collection. If you absolutely hate it the series is not for you. If you feel like you enjoy everything else about it but the battle system and camera controls and general early ps2 era clunckyness you might enjoy kh2 more so hang in there.

Step 2: Try Re:Chain of Memories on 1.5 hd remix. You should know very early if you hate it, can endure it or even like it. If you hate it ask yourself if you are invested in the story enough to watch the main story cutscenes on youtube. If you hate the game, dont care about the story and liked KH1 and just want a true sequel to that skip CoM and go straight to kh2.

Step 3: Wait for 2.5 to release. The KH2 included there is much improved and has a ton of extra content compared to western ps2 release of kh2.

Step 4: Play KH2 on 2.5

Step 5: You hate the story and characters? Skip 358/2. You cant get enough of the story? Watch the 358/2 days "movie" on 1.5.

Step 6: Play BBS on 2.5

Joke Step: Cant get enough Nomura in your body? Watch the Coded cutscenes on 2.5. Hate the story but like the games? Skip Coded.

Step 7: play DDD

Burbeting

Banned
Hoping for the 2.5 to release here sooner than later. Will be bummed if it's 2015 release here (wouldn't be that surprised, especially if the development is still in early phase since they just revealed it?) Wan't to play KH2FM now!

Coded had some neat ideas with its progression systems and character customization at least.
But at the same time it is a 3D NDS game that is pretty much just an experimental filler. Its a game that I wouldnt recommend if you have a backlog of games more worthy of your time.

Hoping for the 2.5 to release here sooner than later. Will be bummed if it's 2015 release here (wouldn't be that surprised, especially if the development is still in early phase since they just revealed it?) Wan't to play KH2FM now!

2015 release for a 720p remastered PS3 game? Nah that won't happen.

2014 everywhere

Its not in early phases. Its playable at Jump Festa this month. Both US and EU have confirmed 2014 release.

September release is the latest I see them go for if they follow the 1.5 pattern. If they go for late PSP era SE mode since PS3 is on its way out I expect a May release in the west. March in Japan.

Soriku

The game is playable at Jump Festa (later this month). It's well along. It'll be 2014 WW.

2015 release for a 720p remastered PS3 game? Nah that won't happen.

2014 everywhere

1.5 is more than 720p and so will 2.5.

Soriku

Less than a week till Jump Festa. Very excited to see more of 2.5. The 2.5 OT thread is gonna be so awesome with the Critical Mode and optional boss talk, can't wait.

I finally beat KHFM last week and I was so happy when I beat all of the optional bosses. I never managed to do that the first time I played. I have a question before starting CoM. I know you get bonus cards if you watch the Days cutscenes so should I do that first before playing CoM?

I finally beat KHFM last week and I was so happy when I beat all of the optional bosses. I never managed to do that the first time I played. I have a question before starting CoM. I know you get bonus cards if you watch the Days cutscenes so should I do that first before playing CoM?
You don't have to actually watch them, you can just select the play all option and skip everything, get all the trophies and then start CoM.

Caladrius

You don't have to actually watch them, you can just select the play all option and skip everything, get all the trophies and then start CoM.

Yeah, Days is one of the few installments you can safely skip because it doesn't really introduce anything major aside from Xion.

I'm glad they didn't make a full remake. I didn't like Days' gameplay aside from the multiplayer. It's a shame we'll never probably never get a full-fledged Kingdom Hearts fighting game.

Soriku

I can't wait to hear about people getting their shit pushed in by Lingering Sentiment. Should be fun.

I have a feeling I might struggle more against Marluxia. On lvl 1 you're not even allowed to get hit once right? :x

Good times await. There's a nice assortment of bosses to talk about. I heard Mysterious Figure got nerfed in BBS FM though. How hard is No Heart?

Caladrius

I have a feeling I might struggle more against Marluxia. On lvl 1 you're not even allowed to get hit once right? :x

Good times await. There's a nice assortment of bosses to talk about. I heard Mysterious Figure got nerfed in BBS FM though. How hard is No Heart?

He takes a very long time to kill unless you're either very high leveled or abusing Rhythym mixer. That thing deals an insane number of hits, which works past the damage cap.

The only major change to MF that I remember is that they made it possible to escape from Collision Magnet.

Yeah, Marluxia on a level 1 run pretty much requires perfection. I wonder how many people will get stuck on Roxas too, especially considering he's probably the most difficult mandatory boss in Final Mix. And yeah, aside from the aforementioned Collision Magnet nerf, Mysterious Figure has (very) slightly less ridiculous damage output.

No Heart is pretty much a walking tank with insane HP and absurdly high defense. Rhythm Mixer is pretty much mandatory if you want to beat him in a reasonable amount of time. I imagine he's easier in multiplayer, since he and Armor of the Master (who's actually pretty bearable solo) were designed with that in mind.

Yeah, Days is one of the few installments you can safely skip because it doesn't really introduce anything major aside from Xion.

I'm glad they didn't make a full remake. I didn't like Days' gameplay aside from the multiplayer. It's a shame we'll never probably never get a full-fledged Kingdom Hearts fighting game.
Hey, hey! Get that days hatin' outta here!
I was just talking about getting the CoM extras and the trophies, of course KremlinChaos should watch it later!

Soriku

He takes a very long time to kill unless you're either very high leveled or abusing Rhythym mixer. That thing deals an insane number of hits, which works past the damage cap.

The only major change to MF that I remember is that they made it possible to escape from Collision Magnet.

Yeah, Marluxia on a level 1 run pretty much requires perfection. I wonder how many people will get stuck on Roxas too, especially considering he's probably the most difficult mandatory boss in Final Mix. And yeah, aside from the aforementioned Collision Magnet nerf, Mysterious Figure has (very) slightly less ridiculous damage output.

No Heart is pretty much a walking tank with insane HP and absurdly high defense. Rhythm Mixer is pretty much mandatory if you want to beat him in a reasonable amount of time. I imagine he's easier in multiplayer, since he and Armor of the Master (who's actually pretty bearable solo) were designed with that in mind.

Damn. With the PS3 they have the option of adding in online play. No Heart sounds like a nightmare otherwise.

Caladrius

Hey, hey! Get that days hatin' outta here!
I was just talking about getting the CoM extras and the trophies, of course KremlinChaos should watch it later!

Okayyyyyyyyyyy...
Can I at least insult coded?

Damn. With the PS3 they have the option of adding in online play. No Heart sounds like a nightmare otherwise.

The only nasty part about the fight from my experience is the length of the fight without Rhythm Mixer and his variant of Heartles Angel. He's pretty reasonable otherwise.

It's my 3rd favorite extra boss after Armor of the Master and Terra's armor. I can't wait to fight it with an orchestrated version of Forze Dell'Oscurita IN HD.

I actually kind of doubt BBS is going to get the same music treatment KH1 (and KHII, presumably) received. BBS (and Dream Drop Distance) already used pre-recorded music streaming (as opposed to working within the confines of the PS2 soundchip), so re-recording it again seems kind of redundant when it's already pretty high quality.

Fired up 1.5 for the first time...because I suck obviously. One thing I noticed is the music...why did they make it sound different? The original was so much better sounding.

This game is so gorgeous though! The colors really jump out and seem so vibrant now.

Okayyyyyyyyyyy...
Can I at least insult coded?
As long as it's just the story, yeah, you can :)

Fired up 1.5 for the first time...because I suck obviously. One thing I noticed is the music...why did they make it sound different? The original was so much better sounding.

This game is so gorgeous though! The colors really jump out and seem so vibrant now.
This is the first time I see someone prefering a synth OST instead of the live orchestra lol

Tenrius

Got the limited edition of 1.5 for $20 (lighting deal on Amazon). Well, it'll be a while before I actually get it (international shipping and all, which was additional $5), but I'm glad I got it.

Oh, and the deal is still on, you have about 2.5 hours to order it: http://www.amazon.com/gp/goldbox.

sasuke_91

I'm currently playing Kingdom Hearts 3D. The game is just gorgeous, maybe the best looking KH-Game so far.
Coded is the only game I skipped, even played 358/2 Days (I really liked the story and Xion is one of my favourite characters). I don't own a PSP, so I'm still waiting for II.5 Remix in order to play BBS (and KH2FM).

Are the Coded Cutscenes worth watching?

Jeels

I'm currently playing Kingdom Hearts 3D. The game is just gorgeous, maybe the best looking KH-Game so far.
Coded is the only game I skipped, even played 358/2 Days (I really liked the story and Xion is one of my favourite characters). I don't own a PSP, so I'm still waiting for II.5 Remix in order to play BBS (and KH2FM).

I think they will be once they are in the 2.5 collection.

But really, absolutely nothing happens in Coded.

Well, not really but there is not much to watch anyway so if you are bored then feel free to take a look. The voiced ''important'' scenes clock around 35 mins total only.

Caladrius

Maybe only from the last world or so, and even then those don't add anything to the story. Everything beforehand is completely worthless.

sasuke_91

Thanks for the link.

I watched the secret ending on YouTube because it was said to be important in order to understand 3D's Story. Maybe I'm going to watch the rest when 2.5 HD Remix comes out.
Coded seems like the most senseless spin-off I've heard of so far :D

Caladrius

Thanks for the link.

I watched the secret ending on YouTube because it was said to be important in order to understand 3D's Story. Maybe I'm going to watch the rest when 2.5 HD Remix comes out.
Coded seems like the most senseless spin-off I've heard of so far :D

It was originally a mobile game that came out about 6 months (November 2008) before Days did. Some of the information the game gives really was new at the time. But the remake was released after the other games already spelled out the details and suffers badly for it, since if you've played the other games, the already small payoff is rendered completely redundant.

Let's not kid ourselves. Everything is worthless :lol. Like, if you already are playing 3D or have played it then Coded serves no point.

Watching Data-
Roxas
act like a pretentious sociopath was pretty funny though.

I like both of your avatars, by the way.

sasuke_91

Well, it is a spin-off, so I won't expect too much.
BBS and DDD are the only ones on par with KH I/II. I'm so excited to pick up BBS when it comes out in Europe :3

I like both of your avatars, by the way.

Oh, thanks :)
I like yours, too. Fire Emblem: Awakening, isn't it? Still haven't played, but I will play it for sure.

Top Bottom