• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kingdom Hearts Community Thread: Now everybody can be a Keyblade Wielder!

Maybe KH3 will have more Disney Live action movies in it. I thought the Pirates of the Caribbean world was fantastic in KH2. Though I can't think of many Live action Disney movies that would work well in KH.

Well, Tron: Legacy has a sequel that's currently in development hell, but I don't think that one's gonna be ready in time to get used for KH3.

But, uh, Disney now owns the Marvel and Star Wars and Indiana Jones licenses. So, there's that.

I wouldn't mind PotC 2/3 getting used in KH3 either, for that matter. Davey Jones, the Kraken, and his crew are all fantastic from an art design point of view.

For everything that's wrong with KHII, I loved the unexpected choices (PoTC, Tron, Steamboat Willie) for Disney worlds that time around. I can only hope III goes in a similar direction.

Well, Tron: Legacy has a sequel that's currently in development hell, but I don't think that one's gonna be ready in time to get used for KH3.

But, uh, Disney now owns the Marvel and Star Wars and Indiana Jones licenses. So, there's that.

I wouldn't mind PotC 2/3 getting used in KH3 either, for that matter. Davey Jones, the Kraken, and his crew are all fantastic from an art design point of view.

Honestly I don't really want to see Marvel or Star Wars in KH. Maybe Pixar movies, but that's a big maybe. I remember reading that TWEWY characters were in DDD, another reason why I should be playing it. So who knows what direction they will go. More FF characters would not hurt, maybe a visit to Midgar?

Yes, I would be happy to visit PotC again, especially if we can fight Davey Jones and crew.

Honestly I don't really want to see Marvel or Star Wars in KH. Maybe Pixar movies, but that's a big maybe. I remember reading that TWEWY characters were in DDD, another reason why I should be playing it. So who knows what direction they will go. More FF characters would not hurt, maybe a visit to Midgar?

Yes, I would be happy to visit PotC again, especially if we can fight Davey Jones and crew.

Asgard would work beautifully for KH, I think. Star Wars would be, if anything, too on-the-nose (especially after Birth By Sleep).

Asgard would work beautifully for KH, I think. Star Wars would be, if anything, too on-the-nose (especially after Birth By Sleep).

Asgard from Thor? Alright you make a compelling case with that one. Maybe the more fantastical side of Marvel could work. I would love having Chris Hemsworth on my team smashing dudes with Mjölnir and vaporizing foes with Thundaga.

Something I really hope for with KH3 is that it abandons the sort of dull cliché of limiting the number of party members you have, or having to choose 3 out of 4 possible party members (or whatever). What would be wrong with having Sora, Donald, and Goofy, PLUS a guest character (or multiple guest characters, for that matter)?

Outside of not wanting to crowd the HUD design (and RAM limitations that matter to handhelds/PS2 but not to next-gen consoles), there's no reason not to have parties bigger than three characters.

I always figured that the arbitrary party member limit was imposed for the sake of game performance/RAM limitations. Though I imagine it probably wouldn't be much of an issue on PS4/XB1.

Caladrius

I always figured that the arbitrary party member limit was imposed for the sake of game performance/RAM limitations. Though I imagine it probably wouldn't be much of an issue on PS4/XB1.

It really depends on how well they can optimize for the systems. KH3 and FF XV are their first titles for the generation.

I'd be disappointed if they only went for 2 allies at a time either way though.

Something I really hope for with KH3 is that it abandons the sort of dull cliché of limiting the number of party members you have, or having to choose 3 out of 4 possible party members (or whatever). What would be wrong with having Sora, Donald, and Goofy, PLUS a guest character (or multiple guest characters, for that matter)?

Outside of not wanting to crowd the HUD design (and RAM limitations that matter to handhelds/PS2 but not to next-gen consoles), there's no reason not to have parties bigger than three characters.

That would be nice, Sora, Donald, Goofy, and Johnny Depp fighting off Heartless or whatever new creature would be a nice addtion. I always hated having to bench Donald or Goofy. I ended up benching the one who did not have Lucky Lucky or Lucky Strike. The ability that increase drop chances.

I won't rest until they finally add Studio Ghibli worlds. Do it Square!

I want to summon Totoro, or visit a Princess Mononoke world.

Bladenic

For everything that's wrong with KHII, I loved the unexpected choices (PoTC, Tron, Steamboat Willie) for Disney worlds that time around. I can only hope III goes in a similar direction.

Steamboat Willie was the bestest, only too short. Hopefully they have another throwback world like that.

Also whenever they have realistic worlds like Pirates or Tron Legacy, they really should make Sora and co. fit better. I suppose it's a good bit of work altering their faces to match the realistic characters, but still.

ZenaxPure

I just hope they find a way to make party members not utterly useless, the series so far does not fill one with much confidence. It's really a shame too because after playing other action rpgs with useful party members they could really expand it into something cool in a new game.

Steamboat Willie was the bestest, only too short. Hopefully they have another throwback world like that.

Also whenever they have realistic worlds like Pirates or Tron Legacy, they really should make Sora and co. fit better. I suppose it's a good bit of work altering their faces to match the realistic characters, but still.

They've said that the Kingdom Shader work is going to go a really long way toward accomplishing this, and that each world will appear substantially different from the others.

I just hope they find a way to make party members not utterly useless, the series so far does not fill one with much confidence. It's really a shame too because after playing other action rpgs with useful party members they could really expand it into something cool in a new game.

Donald is fucking amazing in KH1 once you get Thundaga, though, and Goofy (once you turn him into an MP Gift/tanking character) is also pretty damn useful, IMO. They're both good just for the sheer keeping-enemies-off-your-back factor, and you'd be surprised how good they are at fighting enemies off on their own if you just do evasion and curing and don't engage enemies too directly (though Sora totally outclasses them, of course). And Beast in KH1 is also incredible.

In KH2, though, yeah, party members aren't the greatest outside of the team-up moves (which can get pretty damn fantastic).

ZenaxPure

Donald is fucking amazing in KH1 once you get Thundaga, though, and Goofy (once you turn him into an MP Gift/tanking character) is also pretty damn useful, IMO. They're both good just for the sheer keeping-enemies-off-your-back factor, and you'd be surprised how good they are at fighting enemies off on their own if you just do evasion and curing and don't engage enemies too directly (though Sora totally outclasses them, of course). And Beast in KH1 is also incredible.

In KH2, though, yeah, party members aren't the greatest outside of the team-up moves (which can get pretty damn fantastic).

I dunno, they've always just felt more like tools than party members to me. Playing a lot of Dragon's Dogma in the past few months has sold me on NPC party members that are as good as the player character. I always thought it would ruin the balance of the game or make it too easy, but, rolling with a NPC crew that is nearly as flexible and dangerous as the player character can be done right. I'd like to see that applied to KH3 when we have party members again.

Of course I don't hold it against KH given its age, it's mostly that I am just expecting more from a game released nowadays.

Bladenic

Beast is one character whom I never use in KH. In every other world I usually swap Goofy out for the guest character, but I always keep Donald and Goofy. Mainly story reasons and by that point Goofy has MP Gift and Donald is invaluable.

I honestly consider Ariel the most useful guest party member. Spiral Wave does a ton of damage (though she does have some issues connecting it at times), and she has Thunder, Aero, and Cure, aka best spells (she's missing Gravity, but oh well).

I dunno, they've always just felt more like tools than party members to me. Playing a lot of Dragon's Dogma in the past few months has sold me on NPC party members that are as good as the player character. I always thought it would ruin the balance of the game or make it too easy, but, rolling with a NPC crew that is nearly as flexible and dangerous as the player character can be done right. I'd like to see that applied to KH3 when we have party members again.

Of course I don't hold it against KH given its age, it's mostly that I am just expecting more from a game released nowadays.

I'd love that in KH3, for sure (though I'd hope they would up the challenge considerably to compensate - I don't want it to be a workable strategy to just sit back and let NPCs do the work). Ideally there'll be parties composed mostly of Keyblade wielders and the ability to switch between controlling any member of your party on short notice.

ZenaxPure

I'd love that in KH3, for sure (though I'd hope they would up the challenge considerably to compensate - I don't want it to be a workable strategy to just sit back and let NPCs do the work). Ideally there'll be parties composed mostly of Keyblade wielders and the ability to switch between controlling any member of your party on short notice.

Well now you're just getting my hopes up that I might be able to play as Terra again :p I do think it's time though, KH3 should have every keyblade wielder as playable. Not that I am ever expecting that in any fashion, but I can dream.

I honestly consider Ariel the most useful guest party member. Spiral Wave does a ton of damage (though she does have some issues connecting it at times), and she has Thunder, Aero, and Cure, aka best spells (she's missing Gravity, but oh well).

Yeah, Ariel's an absolute beast. Though I guess she would have to be, since Atlantica's pretty much a battle against the heartless and the controls.

Psxphile

I like the designs of some of new Heartless in [chi]. This one's called 'Achoo Mole', apparently:

achoo_mole_khxzpfxl.png

im_link.png

We can probably expect this critter to show up in KH3. I'm still perplexed why Emblem Heartless appear in that game, though...

I'm hoping that the upcoming live-action Maleficent movie starring Angelina Jolie will at least inspire them to use her character more. She's a great villain and got kinda wasted in KH2/DDD. At least BBS had a cool way of leading into her KH1 storyline.

Maybe KH3 will have more Disney Live action movies in it. I thought the Pirates of the Caribbean world was fantastic in KH2. Though I can't think of many Live action Disney movies that would work well in KH.

Talking about live-action and Disney reminds me of this thread. Heh, yeah. Be careful what you wish for. Though it'd be pretty neat to see the animated team reunited in KH3. It'd be as big a bombshell as the original reveal of KH2's Space Paranoids world.

Caladrius

Tron's Limit is amazing. Nothing quite like tearing everything in the room to ribbons and curb stomping the Hostile Program on critical. (Not that it didn't help against the MCP.)

Man, I forgot how awesome that Tron world was. KH2 had some fantastic worlds. Since KH1 had Traverse Town, KH2 had Twilight Town, I wonder what kind of town KH3 will have. Considering Traverse was always night and Twilight always had that beautiful setting sun, maybe KH3 will have Sunrise Town.

Man, I forgot how awesome that Tron world was. KH2 had some fantastic worlds. Since KH1 had Traverse Town, KH2 had Twilight Town, I wonder what kind of town KH3 will have. Considering Traverse was always night and Twilight always had that beautiful setting sun, maybe KH3 will have Sunrise Town.
There's a new town in Kingdom Hearts Chi called, I think, Daybreak Town?

Cat

I still have a ways to go for my KHFM platinum trophy (well, just the one blueprints trophy, but that's very involved), but I finally completed Traverse Town Gummi Mission 3. From what I've read, that and Atlanticia Mission 3 are the hardest.

I still have a ways to go for my KHFM platinum trophy (well, just the one blueprints trophy, but that's very involved), but I finally completed Traverse Town Gummi Mission 3. From what I've read, that and Atlanticia Mission 3 are the hardest.

EOTW Mission 3 was hardest for me cause I was playing on Proud. I had to modify my ship a few times to get the laser/missile balance just right.

Cat

EOTW Mission 3 was hardest for me cause I was playing on Proud. I had to modify my ship a few times to get the laser/missile balance just right.

I'm using my Beginner level save though apparently being on Beginner doesn't help at all for the Traverse Town mission I just did since you're supposed to not take damage.

I'm using my Beginner level save though apparently being on Beginner doesn't help at all for the Traverse Town mission I just did since you're supposed to not take damage.

It would make a difference, I think, in that you'd still destroy enemy ships more easily.

Andrefpvs

Neat, maybe that will be in KH3? Chi was that browsers game right? Don't tell me it's tied to the KH story...

Oh, I'm pretty sure Daybreak Town will be in KH3. They're treating it with the same kind of "respect" Twilight Town got in Chain of Memories.

BTW, have you listened to the battle theme? It's great! Very Yoko Shimomura.

Oh, I'm pretty sure Daybreak Town will be in KH3. They're treating it with the same kind of "respect" Twilight Town got in Chain of Memories.

I wonder to what extent KH3 will bring in KH-original worlds.

Mysterious Tower is basically a lock; so is Castle Oblivion/Land of Departure. Destiny Islands is probably pretty danged likely too (though, as in KH2, it might be cutscene-only instead of being playable). Daybreak Town seems like it's pretty much going to happen too.

But: The World That Never Was? Seems likely for the sake of the whole Organization thing. Keyblade Graveyard? Radiant Garden? Kingdom Hearts itself?

I think we can safely rule out Traverse Town and Twilight Town, though.

This battle theme is incredible, thanks for the link! Indeed very Yoko Shimomura, KH has some of the best music in the whole industry.

Psxphile

I wonder to what extent KH3 will bring in KH-original worlds.

Mysterious Tower is basically a lock; so is Castle Oblivion/Land of Departure. Destiny Islands is probably pretty danged likely too (though, as in KH2, it might be cutscene-only instead of being playable). Daybreak Town seems like it's pretty much going to happen too.

But: The World That Never Was? Seems likely for the sake of the whole Organization thing. Keyblade Graveyard? Radiant Garden? Kingdom Hearts itself?

I think we can safely rule out Traverse Town and Twilight Town, though.

NO. Kingdom Hearts III will be the dramatic conclusion to the Xehanort saga, there's no way in hell they're going to make the main protagonist's and the main antagonist's hometown unplayable after teasing us that quick look of the main island way back in the beginning of KH2. I will expect no less than not only getting to explore the island and its inhabitants, but actually having to face dangers (Heartless, final battle w/ Org XIII) on its shores. Having everything wrap up where it all first began... it's just too perfect.

Don't deny me this, Nomura.

NO. Kingdom Hearts III will be the dramatic conclusion to the Xehanort saga, there's no way in hell they're going to make the main protagonist's and the main antagonist's hometown unplayable after teasing us that quick look of the main island way back in the beginning of KH2. I will expect no less than not only getting to explore the island and its inhabitants, but actually having to face dangers (Heartless, final battle w/ Org XIII) on its shores. Having everything wrap up where it all first began... it's just too perfect.

I think it's way more likely that the game will end with you actually getting to Kingdom Hearts itself and the final battle will take place there, to be honest.

Caladrius

Is 2.5 releasing over here in spring, or just japan?

They don't even have a release for Japan yet. I'm half-expecting it to be pushed back to summer or fall.

That would make too much dramatic sense so it probably won't happen.

I think it's way more likely that the game will end with you actually getting to Kingdom Hearts itself and the final battle will take place there, to be honest.

I'm actually kind of expecting a new Castle that Never Was inside Kingdom Hearts.

They don't even have a release for Japan yet. I'm half-expecting it to be pushed back to summer or fall.

That would make too much dramatic sense so it probably won't happen.

I'm actually kind of expecting a new Castle that Never Was inside Kingdom Hearts.

May release worldwide!

#believe

;-;

I hope they abandon the World That Never Was aesthetic fairly soon. Between TWTNW's throne room and Castle Oblivion it's kinda got to appear in KH3, but if KH2 saw Hollow Bastion turned back into Radiant Garden and KH3 will see Castle Oblivion turned back into Land of Departure (and the end of the Organization), I can't see TWTNW reappearing post-KH3.

Hopefully Kingdom Hearts itself will have a different aesthetic than what we've seen before instead of a retread, anyway.

The final battle in the Kingdom Hearts trilogy will be set on a giant heart shaped moon. Sounds about right.

Joking aside, I want it all to end on Destiny Island since that's where the whole series began. Make it come full circle, they left that island in search of adventure, they return to finish the last battle.

As for Tidus and Wakka, I just want to see more FF characters in general.

KH1 already ended on Destiny Islands, or I'd think that would be pretty likely.

True, KH2 also ended on Destiny Islands. In fact, while playing 2, I almost forgot about it, had it not been for the scenes with Kairi trying to remember her time on the island with Sora and Riku.

I *would* love for a playable Destiny Islands again, if only because the cutscene-only stuff in KH2 showing some of the other offshore islands was so tantalizing.

The first KH3 teaser showed Sora picking up Master Eraqus' Keyblade on the beach of the main Destiny Island, so there's that.

Top Bottom