• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kingdom Hearts Community Thread: Now everybody can be a Keyblade Wielder!

Yes.

Kingdom Hearts games shouldn't feel like (mandatory) torture.

And no, it controls far worse than Days. It has the command deck system like BBS and 3D but since you only have the d-pad you have to navigate your commands with fucking finger acrobatics. I think the d-pad movement felt a bit better than Days, but, trying to cram the core BBS/3D combat system onto something with 1 d-pad was rough.

Lol, wow, all that sounds frustrating. Honestly the only time I've even been frustrated with a KH game is my first time with KH:FM via 1.5. Some of those new heartless are such a pain in the butt. Like that sniper monkey thing in Traverse town. Also grinding for materials took way long in FM than it did in original.

ZenaxPure

I meant stat matrix, oopsie.
The game really does suffer from doing too much on a platform not built for it. I think it might have been tolerable for me if they had been able to make it on with something that actually had a second stick.

The thing that bothers me is I think it could have gotten away with the whole gimmick of changing the genre of the game each world and been fine. I mean, I'll take that combat whenever and wherever I can get it at this point, but, the game probably would have been a lot better if they stripped away all of it and focused more on the whole genre swapping thing. It starts off really strong but feels half assed and forgotten by the end of the whole thing. And yeah, that final platforming area was without a doubt in the top 5 of worst things I've ever had to do in a video game.

Psxphile

Money, dear boy.

The original game came out before Birth by Sleep or Days, so the information was new at the time, if nothing else.

Oh yeah who wants to bet on whether or not the Data people show up again.

Anyone?

Who knows if we'll ever see those characters again, but they went to some lengths to reintroduce Maleficent's desire to claim the journals and their data for herself in 3D. The Data worlds clearly have some significance that will become more apparent in III.

Who knows if we'll ever see those characters again, but they went to some lengths to reintroduce Maleficent's desire to claim the journals and their data for herself in 3D. The Data worlds clearly have some significance that will become more apparent in III.

I honestly kinda doubt it, but yeah I guess they'll need *some* sort of Maleficent/Pete subplot for KH3. It would just feel kinda silly if she's trying to steal Jiminy's journal because her goals have gotten more and more modest as the series goes on (from basically ruling all of the worlds, to acquiring real estate, to stealing a journal).

botty

Banned
I just finished work on a short little piano and orchestral arrangement of Sanctuary/Passion -After the Battle- from Kingdom Hearts II and I thought this might be the right sort of place to share it. ^^ It's based on another solo piano arrangement I made of the same song about a year ago when I worked on my first KH medley, so it's been nice to finally release my own version of this song after so long. I hope you guys enjoy it! :D

Good job, quite relaxing, anyone know where I can find piano sheet music for Dearly Beloved?

Money, dear boy.

The original game came out before Birth by Sleep or Days, so the information was new at the time, if nothing else.

Oh yeah who wants to bet on whether or not the Data people show up again.

Anyone?

The final (and only plot-relevant) episode of Coded on cellphones released shortly after Birth by Sleep released in Japan, so no, it was pretty thoroughly redundant back then, too.

Psxphile

I honestly kinda doubt it, but yeah I guess they'll need *some* sort of Maleficent/Pete subplot for KH3. It would just feel kinda silly if she's trying to steal Jiminy's journal because her goals have gotten more and more modest as the series goes on (from basically ruling all of the worlds, to acquiring real estate, to stealing a journal).

Maleficent seems to believe that the data in the journals will allow her to conquer their real-world counterparts.

On another note: I thought it was weird that the journal was recording things that Sora (and Jiminy) never experienced, like Riku's very first run-in with the Robed Figure (Ansem) and then the aftermath of his escape from Hook's ship w/ Kairi in tow. I figure it's just another instance of the "memories are all connected" trope that permeates the franchise

Maleficent seems to believe that the data in the journals will allow her to conquer their real-world counterparts.

On another note: I thought it was weird that the journal was recording things that Sora (and Jiminy) never experienced, like Riku's very first run-in with the Robed Figure (Ansem) and then the aftermath of his escape from Hook's ship w/ Kairi in tow. I figure it's just another instance of the "memories are all connected" trope that permeates the franchise

Eh, I'm sure that idea covers it, but really I think it's just that the creators don't think that hard about it and it's useful information for the player to have stored there.

Yes. Kinda. It's a totally different game in the end really.

Also where my 2.5 news at?

Interesting, I'm surprised SE hasn't ported coded to iOS or Android :p

Yeah! I want some 2.5 news, or another trailer, or something. I'm so excited for KH2FM and KHBBS HD. Finally, the superior FM version of KH2, and the non-hand-cramping version of BBS. All on one Bluray. *drools*

Actually, besides KH 2.5 and the years-away FFXV and KH3, what does Square-Enix even have forthcoming (from Japan, I mean) once LR and FFX HD are out in America?

Hell, even the old Eidos folks will kinda be done once Thief gets released later this month. I wonder if it'll be time soon for IO Interactive to announce their next Hitman or Kane & Lynch game.

Caladrius

Actually, besides KH 2.5 and the years-away FFXV and KH3, what does Square-Enix even have forthcoming (from Japan, I mean) once LR and FFX HD are out in America?

Hell, even the old Eidos folks will kinda be done once Thief gets released later this month. I wonder if it's going to be time for a new Deus Ex game to get announced.

There's still Bravely Default I think.

Great question... hopefully they will announce some more games soon. That Soul Suspect game? even though we hardly know anything about it. Yeah can't think of anything off the top of my head.

Even Bravely Default is out by the end of the month, like Thief and LR:FFXIII. And FFX/X-2 HD will be out in mid-March.

I wonder if we'll see FFXII HD announced this spring. Certainly Square-Enix can't mean their only Fall 2014 title to be KH 2.5 HD Remix - it'll be awesome but it's still a two-generations-old game exclusive to one last-gen system.

I wouldn't be surprised to see a blizzard of Square-Enix announcements this spring and summer.

Even Bravely Default is out by the end of the month, like Thief and LR:FFXIII. And FFX/X-2 HD will be out in mid-March.

I wonder if we'll see FFXII HD announced this spring. Certainly Square-Enix can't mean their only Fall 2014 title to be KH 2.5 HD Remix - it'll be awesome but it's still a two-generations-old game exclusive to one last-gen system.

I wouldn't be surprised to see a blizzard of Square-Enix announcements this spring and summer.
Theathrythm Curtain Call? I dunno. FFXII HD announcement imminent if FFX does well in US/EU.

Theathrythm Curtain Call? I dunno. FFXII HD announcement imminent if FFX does well in US/EU.

FFXII already looks gorgeous in HD and is already fully ready for 16:9 displays, so it ought to make a much easier and more affordable conversion than FFX HD, I'd imagine. It's simply less dated, therefore requires less of an update.

I could see it being announced and actually coming out within 2014.

FFXII supported HD? huh, I never knew that. I don't mind revisiting that game, especially if it's the Zodiac Job International version, never tried that one before.

FFXII supported HD? huh, I never knew that. I don't mind revisiting that game, especially if it's the Zodiac Job International version, never tried that one before.

It didn't support HD natively - I mean that it looks absolutely gorgeous emulated. Its textures are already great and can stand being blown up (if anything, the PS2 seriously didn't do it justice).

It did natively support widescreen, though.

It didn't support HD natively - I mean that it looks absolutely gorgeous emulated. Its textures are already great and can stand being blown up (if anything, the PS2 seriously didn't do it justice).

It did natively support widescreen, though.

Ahh, I see, that only makes me want an HD FFXII more. Though DDD and 2.5 will definitely keep me busy till its release, if they decide on making it that is.

They're going to be too busy writing stories where Tidus's head gets blown off.

I thought that happened already in the stupid FFX-2.5 novel fanfiction. If anything, they are busy writing the award winning material we will see in FFX-3. I actually want to see where they go after that Tidus blowing up nonsense.

Ah, yeah. I could actually see FFX-3 getting announced as the next thing Toriyama is helming now that Lightning Returns is complete (though maybe they'll want to be promoting Lightning Returns DLC for a while).

Sigh. Wouldn't be terribly surprised if we got a CG trailer for that from Visual Works sometime this year. ;_;

I can see it now, the trailer will be set to the hauntingly beautiful To Zanarkand. A black screen is all that is shown, but all you hear is Tidus narrating what has happened in FFX-2.5 and FFX - Will -. Finally the black screen will show this image.

xoGV64H.gif

The screen cuts to black, and then shows FFX-3 Logo complete with Amano artwork.

Back on topic: Since KH3 is gonna complete the Ansem arc, what's in store for the KH series after? I really can't imagine a new KH series without Sora Donald and Goofy. :(

Caladrius

I can see it now, the trailer will be set to the hauntingly beautiful To Zanarkand. A black screen is all that is shown, but all you hear is Tidus narrating what has happened in FFX-2.5 and FFX - Will -. Finally the black screen will show this image.

xoGV64H.gif

The screen cuts to black, and then shows FFX-3 Logo complete with Amano artwork.

Back on topic: Since KH3 is gonna complete the Ansem arc, what's in store for the KH series after? I really can't imagine a new KH series without Sora Donald and Goofy. :(

I hope there's enough free liquids to compete with the FFX artwork.

And Nomura has said adamantly that he wants Sora to continue being the protagonist. As for villains I kind of want a sort of anti-villainous scheme by ex-organization members (particularly the ones that have barely gotten any focus.)

Ah, yeah. I could actually see FFX-3 getting announced as the next thing Toriyama is helming now that Lightning Returns is complete (though maybe they'll want to be promoting Lightning Returns DLC for a while).

Sigh. Wouldn't be terribly surprised if we got a CG trailer for that from Visual Works sometime this year. ;_;

I still have no idea how Toriyama keeps getting work. And weren't there like 5 people that were central to FFX's development?

And Nomura has said adamantly that he wants Sora to continue being the protagonist. As for villains I kind of want a sort of anti-villainous scheme by ex-organization members (particularly the ones that have barely gotten any focus.)

Really!? Well that's awesome. So I'm guessing we will eventually be playing as an adult Sora. As far as villains go, I want to go back to simpler times. Just Sora fighting Heartless, trying to save Disney world with his friends. One primary villain, maybe controls one of his friends with the powers of darkness. THEN things can go off the rails in the subsequent sequels.

Cat

Hello all, I'm getting ready to do gummi mission stuff in KH 1.5 (Final Mix) to work towards a platinum trophy, and I'd seen it suggested, in general, to use 6 Meteor-G's for stuff. Well, I only have 1. I read that you can buy them from Cid. But I can't. I just now read that if you find all 99 puppies, which I did, that reward maxes out Cid's shop, and I can't buy from him anymore. Does that mean I CANNOT get Meteor-G's at all (short of playing the game again)?

Hello all, I'm getting ready to do gummi mission stuff in KH 1.5 (Final Mix) to work towards a platinum trophy, and I'd seen it suggested, in general, to use 6 Meteor-G's for stuff. Well, I only have 1. I read that you can buy them from Cid. But I can't. I just now read that if you find all 99 puppies, which I did, that reward maxes out Cid's shop, and I can't buy from him anymore. Does that mean I CANNOT get Meteor-G's at all (short of playing the game again)?

I don't remember the specific amount of Meteor-G's but some of the missions that require destroying things can be done with almost any combination of weapons, with enough practice. Just put tons of weapon Gummis and give it a try. The hardest missions are the ones that require not getting hit and using only specific amount of blocks. Those are a real pain.

Seda

I wonder what trophies there will be for Gummy Ship in KH2. Some of the high rank later level bosses are ridiculous.

I wonder what trophies there will be for Gummy Ship in KH2. Some of the high rank later level bosses are ridiculous.

I just hope they are not as difficult as the Gummy Ship missions of KH:FM. There were definitely some frustrating missions. I never want to use a Gummy ship comprised of only a cockpit and engine ever again.

Cat

I don't remember the specific amount of Meteor-G's but some of the missions that require destroying things can be done with almost any combination of weapons, with enough practice. Just put tons of weapon Gummis and give it a try. The hardest missions are the ones that require not getting hit and using only specific amount of blocks. Those are a real pain.

Thanks. I just used what I had, and that's working out for the basic, easier ones. I've read about the harder ones, will be tough for me, but I'll try. I saved it as last for my platinum.

Thanks. I just used what I had, and that's working out for the basic, easier ones. I've read about the harder ones, will be tough for me, but I'll try. I saved it as last for my platinum.

Awesome! If I recall correctly Meteor G's are the ones that fire homing laser missiles. There are other Gummis that fire similar ammunition. Ultima is one of them. The Gummi Ship missions were definitely the hardest part of getting a platinum in KH:FM, but they are not impossible. Watching videos on YouTube and reading FAQs definitely helped. You can do it!

Psxphile

While I was quite fond of ship-building in KH1, I never even gave it a shot in KH2. The pre-built ships you unlocked were always "good enough". This became a problem when during my first playthrough of KH2FM I started on Normal... which meant that if I wanted to see the new secret video I was going to have to not only complete Jiminy's Journal but beat every Gummi ship mission too. Some of them I recall were a pain in the ass past the first mission.

Needless to say, I gave up and restarted on Proud to make the conditions easier on myself.

By hard do you mean, harder than KH:FM missions, or as hard as KH:FM missions?

Well, it's probably harder to actually get all the way to the end sometimes, but the KHFM missions were harder in that they were more like "pick up 4,000 doodads on your way through the level but the level is exactly the same every time."

Seda

That boss looked like something out of a bullet hell shooter. If I recall correctly, there were no secret bosses for these missions in original KH2.

I think I remember one I struggled with a little that was bullet-hell-ish. I don't remember the details, heck, I dont remember exactly how the Gummi ship worked in KH2 in general because it's been a while. I think I recall you can choose to go through levels at a more difficult rank or something, which would sometimes add/buff boss monsters. Again, my memory is a bit hazy.

I think I remember one I struggled with a little that was bullet-hell-ish. I don't remember the details, heck, I dont remember exactly how the Gummi ship worked in KH2 in general because it's been a while. I think I recall you can choose to go through levels at a more difficult rank or something, which would sometimes add/buff boss monsters. Again, my memory is a bit hazy.

Haha, same here, I don't remember much about KH2 Gummi ships other than how absolutely wild they were. A sensory overload really. Watching that video you linked was a strange reminder of how different everything related to Gummi ships are between KH and KH2.

Bladenic

Speaking of Maleficent, I was reminded just how useless she was in KH2. Not even a boss battle. And they didn't bother adding her as a boss, even optional, in FM+ either.

I'm hoping that the upcoming live-action Maleficent movie starring Angelina Jolie will at least inspire them to use her character more. She's a great villain and got kinda wasted in KH2/DDD. At least BBS had a cool way of leading into her KH1 storyline.

Maybe KH3 will have more Disney Live action movies in it. I thought the Pirates of the Caribbean world was fantastic in KH2. Though I can't think of many Live action Disney movies that would work well in KH.

Top Bottom