• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kingdom Hearts Community Thread: Now everybody can be a Keyblade Wielder!

I *would* love for a playable Destiny Islands again, if only because the cutscene-only stuff in KH2 showing some of the other offshore islands was so tantalizing.

The first KH3 teaser showed Sora picking up Master Eraqus' Keyblade on the beach of the main Destiny Island, so there's that.

Absolutely, what a treat it would be for long time fans to revisit Destiny Islands so many years later. And as you said, hopefully the offshore islands.

Absolutely, what a treat it would be for long time fans to revisit Destiny Islands so many years later. And as you said, hopefully the offshore islands.

Given some of the stuff talked about in the lore about how all of the worlds used to be one world... I'd kinda love to see certain worlds get fully connected to each other and become much bigger, much more thriving places.

Traverse/Twilight/Daybreak Town is a pretty obvious candidate for that sort of treatment. So is Radiant Garden/Destiny Islands/Land of Departure/Mysterious Tower/Keyblade Graveyard, IMO. Who knows, though.

botty

Banned
Thanks for that! Well, this looks like an evasive answer coming from Nomura.

If we look at Kingdom Heart 2, separately from the other games (as I often like to do), then I believe there is a logical reason for Xemnas not using the keyblade: He didn't have a heart. But once you drop in all the retcons from 3D, then it's all a bit hazy.

Why use a Keyblade when you can use lightsabers?

This just made me really want a star wars world for the sole purpose of having a keyblade lightsaber.
Since Xemnas already used lightsabers in KH2.

Edit: Also in KH: Final Mix
Sora%2C_Unknown_Battle_KHFM.PNG

Maybe Nomura was predicting the future acquisition of Star Wars and was preparing for lightsabers in the KH universe.

Blink Me

So what Disney worlds are you guys most hoping for in KH3? Mine are:

Jungle Book
Basil the Great Mouse Detective
Robin Hood

Not really sure if any of them will be in though. Also I'm more than happy for Marvel and Star Wars characters to be included in the next game as well.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
Been playing through Final Mix on the 1.5 HD Collection. It's harder than vanilla KH. Still great though. Though getting the Ultima Weapon is going to suuuuck.

KH3 worlds I want to see:
Anything from Pixar (preferably The Incredibles)
Wreck-It Ralph (or is that too meta?)
Frozen (probably too recent, but the game is at least a year off, it could happen)
Robin Hood (I know it's one of the lesser Disney movies, but it could work)
The Jungle Book (It was almost in Birth by Sleep, why not realize it fully?)

Blink Me

After the success of Frozen I'd be fairly certain Disney will try to force something to do with the franchise into the next game. After all if Chicken Little can appear I think its safe to say Frozen characters are in with a shot.

They could always make a bunch of new Princesses important to the plot again like they did in the first game this time having the Princesses from Brave, Princess and the Frog, Tangled, Frozen, Pocahontas and the Black Cauldron in the game.

After the success of Frozen I'd be fairly certain Disney will try to force something to do with the franchise into the next game. After all if Chicken Little can appear I think its safe to say Frozen characters are in with a shot.

They could always make a bunch of new Princesses important to the plot again like they did in the first game this time having the Princesses from Brave, Princess and the Frog, Tangled, Frozen, Pocahontas and the Black Cauldron in the game.

Personally, I kinda hope they say that *who* is a Princess of Heart can change as people's lives change. Because, Alice? Really? No thanks.

I want to see:

Frozen
The Incredibles
Thor/Asgard
Star Wars/Dagobah
The Sword in the Stone
Pirates of the Caribbean 2/3
Muppets

BatDan

A while ago I tried to play Birth by Sleep, and doing so I remembered why I wasn't too fond of the PSP.

At this point I might as well wait for 2.5 HD Remix to play it. I'd have better camera control too.

A while ago I tried to play Birth by Sleep, and doing so I remembered why I wasn't too fond of the PSP.

At this point I might as well wait for 2.5 HD Remix to play it. I'd have better camera control too.

Best part of 2.5 is being able to play Birth by Sleep with a DualShock. PSP, while fun in short bursts, would cramp my hands if I play for too long.

Blink Me

Personally, I kinda hope they say that *who* is a Princess of Heart can change as people's lives change. Because, Alice? Really? No thanks.

I want to see:

Frozen
The Incredibles
Thor/Asgard
Star Wars/Dagobah
The Sword in the Stone
Pirates of the Caribbean 2/3
Muppets

I forgot about Sword in the Stone I was surprised it wasn't in Birth By Sleep especially when Merlin is important to the plot. Also for all the people who are against Marvel I think somewhere like Asgard would actually work in the game.

I forgot about Sword in the Stone I was surprised it wasn't in Birth By Sleep especially when Merlin is important to the plot. Also for all the people who are against Marvel I think somewhere like Asgard would actually work in the game.

I don't really think that anything *but* Asgard would work for a Marvel/KH thing, but Asgard would work fantastically well.

Especially if they want to use the Dark Elves! Darkness darkness darkness!

Just like Dagobah would work pretty well - *maximum* conversation about light and dark.

If Frozen really makes it in, then I think Elsa has to teach Blizzaga. I don't see how there can be any other way.

I would love for Elsa to teach me anything. Blizzaga, Blizzagun, Blizzaja, how to sing, whatever. If not, have her as a party member.

Honestly, I just want Frozen in KH3. Bottom line.

sasuke_91

Frozen would be awesome. They don't even have to think about artstyle or anything, since it already fits KH's graphics really well :p

I don't expect KH3 to be released before 2016, so they have more than enough time :D

Hyunashi

Frozen would be awesome. They don't even have to think about artstyle or anything, since it already fits KH's graphics really well :p

I don't expect KH3 to be released before 2016, so they have more than enough time :D

Frozen would definitely be a great add. I can just see Olaf now.

Weiss

Banned
My new world wishlist:

Frozen
Toy Story
Treasure Planet
Another world based on classic Disney cartoons
Brave
Big Hero 6
Wreck It Ralph
Who Framed Roger Rabbit?
Sword in the Stone

And I want Oswald the Lucky Rabbit to show up as the ultimate boss.

My new world wishlist:

Frozen
Toy Story
Treasure Planet
Another world based on classic Disney cartoons
Brave
Big Hero 6
Wreck It Ralph
Who Framed Roger Rabbit?
Sword in the Stone

And I want Oswald the Lucky Rabbit to show up as the ultimate boss.
Wreck it Ralph and Who Framed Roger Rabbit are great movies, but I worry that there's already too much crossover going on there - doing it right would require waaaaaaaaay too many people to lawyer up.

SE...2.5 date...please.

I guess March release in Japan is looking pretty unlikely now, huh?

WW launch in may pls.

But seriously they feel a lil too quiet on it concidering both of the games were fully playable to the public 2 months ago. Still waiting for the first sample of remastered soundtrack (well, to be fair they haven't announced that to be the case but after the old interview with Yoko it seems pretty unlikely they ain't remastering 2).

I get that the west just got LR:FF and FFX HD is upon us soon but both have been out in Japan for some time so I would have guessed the hypemachine for 2.5 to be on at this point in Japan.

Also I'm hyped to see the cover art. I really liked the 1.5 and KH2+BBS+Coded certainly make for an interesting base for coverart. The 1.5 art was shown in January IIRC.

ZenaxPure

Also I'm hyped to see the cover art. I really liked the 1.5 and KH2+BBS+Coded certainly make for an interesting base for coverart.

This is such a minor thing but I feel the same way. The 1.5 box art is so amazing that when I saw it on Amazon I just assumed it was some placeholder thing that they would replace with garbage like most video games. I hope the 2.5 one is as amazing.

I guess March release in Japan is looking pretty unlikely now, huh?

WW launch in may pls.

But seriously they feel a lil too quiet on it concidering both of the games were fully playable to the public 2 months ago. Still waiting for the first sample of remastered soundtrack (well, to be fair they haven't announced that to be the case but after the old interview with Yoko it seems pretty unlikely they ain't remastering 2).

I get that the west just got LR:FF and FFX HD is upon us soon but both have been out in Japan for some time so I would have guessed the hypemachine for 2.5 to be on at this point in Japan.

Also I'm hyped to see the cover art. I really liked the 1.5 and KH2+BBS+Coded certainly make for an interesting base for coverart. The 1.5 art was shown in January IIRC.

Don't forget that Thief is also about to come out.

It's also possible that the 2.5 ports aren't going as smoothly, isn't it? Like, all of the Mirage Arena stuff will need a bunch of retooling in BBS, for example. And KH2 might be a bit more graphically demanding.

Soriku

Don't forget that Thief is also about to come out.

It's also possible that the 2.5 ports aren't going as smoothly, isn't it? Like, all of the Mirage Arena stuff will need a bunch of retooling in BBS, for example. And KH2 might be a bit more graphically demanding.

They have the source codes for those games unlike KH1 so I'd be surprised if they took more work even with retooling (mainly for BBS). Plus they were playable at Jump Festa...

They have the source codes for those games unlike KH1 so I'd be surprised if they took more work even with retooling (mainly for BBS). Plus they were playable at Jump Festa...

They have the source codes for them? Do you have a source for that?

Makes me wonder if they've got it for FFXII, too. Hmm.

Soriku

They have the source codes for them? Do you have a source for that?

Makes me wonder if they've got it for FFXII, too. Hmm.

Uh...well I assumed they do since they're not as old (BBS especially) plus they were made under "SE". I wouldn't be surprised if KH1 was lost after Square merged.

That said, he did say 2.5 was proceeding more smoothly than 1.5:

http://gematsu.com/2013/12/nomura-discusses-kingdom-hearts-2-5-iii-famitsu

-Kingdom Hearts HD 2.5 Remix is being handled by the same team at Osaka who did Kingdom Hearts HD 1.5 Remix, but because the HD system has already been established, things are advancing more smoothly than Kingdom Hearts HD 1.5 Remix.

-We can see when the release season will be, but we’re not at a stage where we can announce it yet.

Tell us the season Nomura.

BatDan

If Oswald shows up in KH3, he should be a Superboss. There's been a lack of Disney themed Superbosses (just Ice Titan in the first game and Julius in 3D, and I guess Rock Titan in the first if you want to get technical).

Psxphile

Oswald will be the focus of KH3's secret video, as he leads a cadre of fallen keyblade warriors out of the Dark Realm to invade the worlds of Light.

Uh...well I assumed they do since they're not as old (BBS especially) plus they were made under "SE". I wouldn't be surprised if KH1 was lost after Square merged.

That said, he did say 2.5 was proceeding more smoothly than 1.5:

http://gematsu.com/2013/12/nomura-discusses-kingdom-hearts-2-5-iii-famitsu

Tell us the season Nomura.

The reason I asked is because they even threw out the source for Advent Children before they published Advent Children Complete (the Blu-Ray is mostly just upscaled SD footage; only the added scenes are in true HD). I think that Square-Enix has generally been in the habit of throwing their source code out after publication because they didn't figure they needed it anymore.

Oh man that would be insane.

I mean, yes, in the sense that it's ridiculous for a business not to keep tape backups of everything, and it's not like backups are particularly expensive to do.

I'm sure they didn't want to keep the source code on their actual workstations, which makes perfect sense. And part of me wonders/suspects if they just don't want to give out their source code to external developers out of paranoia.

But yeah, the Advent Children Complete stuff having poorly-upscaled SD video for the majority of the Blu-Ray makes me suspect the worst of them.

Malyse

Not as useless as in DDD.

Now, when you play KH2 the first time, you might think that at that moment, Maleficent is officially just a second-rate side villain since she decides to waste time turning Santa into a heartless when she should instead try to conquer the universe. However when you really think about the whole grand design of her “campy” plan, you realizes that it might be one of her most sadistic and sick plans ever. Santa Claus’ whole job is to deliver Christmas presents to nice boys and girls at Christmas, and from what we can hint from his first scene with the list, he don’t just move around in his own world but to other worlds as well, just like the heroes but with a sled instead of a gummi ship. If he were to turn into a heartless, he still would be able to travel around the worlds to all nice boys and girls during Christmas, but instead of presents as gifts for their “niceness”, they would get a Santa Heartless who would take their hearts and turn them into Heartless as well their family members. So what Maleficent is doing is not Villain Decay since she plans to boost her Heartless horde by turning a beloved and popular figure into a monster and then let him loose on innocent, goodhearted people, specifically children, from around the universe, and no one would see it coming, since Santa is the last person they would suspect being an heart consuming monster acting on orders of one of the most megalomaniacal people around.

We can probably expect this critter to show up in KH3. I'm still perplexed why Emblem Heartless appear in that game, though...

I'm of the impression that the emblem heartless existed long before Xehanort's ambitions and that it has something to do with the sixth keyblade faction.

Neat, maybe that will be in KH3? Chi was that browsers game right? Don't tell me it's tied to the KH story...

Yeah, but really, really loosely. I wouldn't worry about it.

I would. On top of that, I think that there's a chance of BBSV2 still coming out to fill in some of the back story, much in the same way that Days was used to fill in story gaps. BBSV2 could elaborate on Aqua's time in Darkness, what Mickey and Riku were doing between KH1 and KH2, and set up the new villain for KH4. Plus, the foreteller's script indicates vaguely that Xehanort will succeed in his ambitions, which works simply because his goals do not preclude his destruction. Imagine if Xehanort forges the χ-blade and unlocks Kingdom Hearts, but then is still destroyed by Sora and co. You have to keep in mind that Xehanort's goal isn't ruling the universe or coating the worlds in darkness: he's a mad scientist. He only wants to see what happens next.

If Oswald shows up in KH3, he should be a Superboss. There's been a lack of Disney themed Superbosses (just Ice Titan in the first game and Julius in 3D, and I guess Rock Titan in the first if you want to get technical).

I think with the sheer breadth of story needed to cover in KH3, Oswald should be left out. Mickey and Oswald would make an excellent plot thread for a sequel (perhaps the aforementioned BBSV2) and I would hate to have them throw him away for a simple boss battle.

________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

I raised this question on reddit and I would ask the same of neogaf:

How should KH3 handle multiple player characters?

(I'm not referring to multiplayer. I'm referring to multiple protagonists a la Birth by Sleep and 3D.)

Considering again the breadth of story needed to cover in the final chapter of the Xehanort Saga, I think it would be wise for KH3 to not load all of the story onto poor Sora's shoulders. Plus considering KH2, BBS, Days, and 3D all had multiple playable characters at one point or the other, it's not all that big a stretch to assume that KH3 will as well.

So the question is how then should the multiple characters problem be tackled?

We can tell from the iterative design* of Kingdom Hearts games that they are planning some solution to this.

________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Concept 1: Birth by Sleep - You have multiple characters each with their own independent save file with an interwoven narrative and upon completion of all of them, unlock a final story.

Pros: Very simple and straight forward.
Cons: Kind of a pain in the ass juggling saves. Going through the same worlds over and over.

Concept 2: Dream Drop Distance - You have the characters swap at predetermined intervals. May or may not be in the middle of battle.

Pros: Single save plus the best implementation of narrative integration.
Cons: Going through the same worlds over and over. Drop during a boss fight. I don't think I need to say more.

Concept 3: 358/2 Days a la GTAV - You choose who you want to play when you want to play them with some restrictions.

Pros: You get to play as who you want, when you want. (My name is Master Aqua. Now return my friend's heart or pay the price!)
Cons: It would be a hell of a lot of work to make different scenarios for each choice, meaning they would prolly just do the same dialogue and such regardless of who you play as which would be totally lame.

Concept 4: Divergent paths (not seen in series before) - Basically, while Aqua's in Kauaʻi with Stitch, Riku is helping Kuzco with Kuzcotopia, and Sora is helping Taran and Eilonwy in Prydain. Can be used in conjunction with the previous concepts.

Pros: It would make playing as each character more refreshing, as you wouldn't be retreading ground.
Cons: It would either be a ton of work to design a number of non overlapping worlds for each player character or each character would only get a handful of worlds in which to play. Plus there's the all too real possiblity that each character only get one or two worlds and the rest be overlapped.

Concept 5: Reverse/Rebirth - You play the entirety of KH3 as Sora and upon completion, you unlock the ability to play as Riku. Beat it again for Aqua, ect ect.

Pros: Twice the game for your buck!
Cons: The internet would immediately spoil the surprise, especially if KH3 doesn't do any all regions release. Plus, there's a very real possibility of fatigue setting in. I mean, I still haven't finished RE:CoM's RR mode, simply because it's the sixth time I'm playing the damn thing (GBA CoM, GBA RR, KH2FM+ CoM, KH2FM+ RR, RE:CoM English, RE:RR English...). And now with ReMix... but I digress.

Concept 6: Party System a la FFXIII
- suggested by scarymonkey11622

Instead of having to pick through seven characters, there would be three main groups. Sora Donald and Goofy, Riku Kairi and Lea, Ven Aqua and King Mickey. Sora Donald and Goofy would traverse through worlds in the realm of light (Disney worlds), Aqua Ven and Mickey would investigate places like the realm of darkness and worlds in between, and Riku would be training Kairi and Lea (different Disney worlds).
Everyone has their own set of skills and worlds that they can explore. Once you reach a certain point in the story, all the other worlds will be unlocked. For example, Soras party won't have the ability to go to Castle Oblivion like Mickey's party. But once those two party's meet, Sora now has the ability to go there. This brings back the platforming element to Kingdom Hearts that was lost in DDD. For instance, only Sora can use glide, only Aqua can double jump, and only Riku can manipulate darkness to find certain areas otherwise inaccessible.

Concept 7: a mixture suggested by TlMB0

You'd start off the game with Sora, Riku, Mickey, Donald, and Goofy as available party members. You can roam Yen Sid and can now be put in your party. Aqua is freed from the Realm of Darkness and she joins the crew. Ven comes soon after that, and Terra finally (likely near the end of the game?).
Whilst exploring the worlds, doing side quests, and just doing whatever you want, you can choose to use any party you'd like. But mainline story missions and certain side missions would require either specific parties, or a specific character in your party. For example, you'd have to have a part consisting of Riku, Mickey, and one other member while searching for Aqua in the Realm of Darkness. You must have Aqua as the party leader while working your way to find Ven's body in Castle Oblivion. You must play as Lea for the mission that involves taking out Isa. You must play as Sora, Donald, and Goofy for the final battle. That kind of thing.
Most of the mainline missions require Sora, as this is definitely his story over all, but it also gives the other characters each their own moments in the spotlight and allows for you to play as whoever you'd like to while you are just messing around.

Concept 8: You tell me. If there are any that I missed/a game that did multiple protagonists well that I failed to mention, please share.

*for example, we can be fairly certain that the battle system will likely be an evolution of the deck concept utilized in RE:coded, BBS, and 3D. Also, some merged form of the Style from BBS, Overclock from RE:coded, and Drive from KH2 will be in the game as well, plus some form of either player character customization or keyblade customization as in Days, 3D, and RE:coded.

SE trolled me at the JP PS4 Launch thingy. They didn't do anything

I honestly thought for a second KH 2.5 would have been announced for PS4 :(

I wilI keep on dreaming though

Top Bottom