• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kingdom Hearts Community Thread: Now everybody can be a Keyblade Wielder!

I don't know about that. The trend has been to make the Disney characters less important from one game to the next, and that would really go against that trend. I did like how much more Maleficent mattered in KH1, but yeah.

Shinji Hashimoto, a Square game producer, had been discussing the possibility of creating an open world game like Super Mario 64, with Hironobu Sakaguchi, the creator of Final Fantasy. The company decided to get started on its own project but the two lamented the fact that one of the reasons the Mario game had been so successful is that the Italian plumber was already a well-established character. One or both of the men remarked that perhaps only Disney had a stable of intellectual property that was as well-known worldwide as Nintendo’s.

As fate would have it, one day Hashimoto found himself standing in an elevator next to a top executive from Disney. Square and Disney had at one time worked in the same office building in Japan. The random meeting gave Hashimoto the opportunity he needed to present Square’s idea directly to Disney. Development began in February 2000 with Hashimoto serving as producer and Tetsuya Nomura, the lead character designer from Final Fantasy VII as director.

At first, the game was designed to have a simple story aimed at Disney’s target audience: young children. But then the Godfather of Final Fantasy stepped in. Sakaguchi told Nomura that he felt the game would be a failure if the story did not aspire to be just as great as one of Square’s Final Fantasy titles. Nomura then set out to further develop the story. The name Kingdom Hearts was originally inspired by Disney’s Animal Kingdom theme park, which back then had just recently opened in Florida. As Nomura further developed the story around the theme of the characters’ hearts, the developer decided to merge the two names together to create Kingdom Hearts.

Square was given unprecedented access to the Disney vault and while the company wasn’t given too many restrictions, the developer still tried to ensure that everything in each of the Disney worlds felt like it fit with the already established guidelines for those worlds created by the House of Mouse.

No one was sure what the initial reception to the game would be, so Nomura put in a hidden video at the end of the first game that hinted at a possible sequel just to see what the reaction would be. This is now a tradition that has been used multiple times throughout the history of the franchise to tease fans about upcoming games.

#themoreyouknow

That was interesting. I want to know what was Disney doing in Japan and their business with Square Enix before that the first Kingdom Hearts game was made. I haven't seen anything "Japanese related" stuffs with Disney stuffs. It has always been western made.

Oh and Mashimoto speak English?

Malyse

That was interesting. I want to know what was Disney doing in Japan and their business with Square Enix before that the first Kingdom Hearts game was made. I haven't seen anything "Japanese related" stuffs with Disney stuffs. It has always been western made.

Oh and Mashimoto speak English?

._.

Disneyland Tokyo is a thing, you know.

So is this.

I mean, Disney has been in Japan for decades. Part of the reason anime looks the way it does is because the artists were emulating Disney cartoons. Nintendo even used to sell hanafuda cards with Disney characters back before video games were a thing.

I don't know about that. The trend has been to make the Disney characters less important from one game to the next, and that would really go against that trend. I did like how much more Maleficent mattered in KH1, but yeah.

Allow me to quote myself again

DreamDrop said:
Maleficent in KH2 was kinda terrifying. And brilliant.

Now, when you play the game the first time, you might think that at that moment, Maleficent is officially just a second-rate side villain since she decides to waste time turning Santa into a heartless when she should instead try to conquer the universe. However when you really think about the whole grand design of her “campy” plan, you realizes that it might be one of her most sadistic and sick plans ever. Santa Claus’ whole job is to deliver Christmas presents to nice boys and girls at Christmas, and from what we can hint from his first scene with the list, he don’t just move around in his own world but to other worlds as well, just like the heroes but with a sled instead of a gummi ship. If he were to turn into a heartless, he still would be able to travel around the worlds to all nice boys and girls during Christmas, but instead of presents as gifts for their “niceness”, they would get a Santa Heartless who would take their hearts and turn them into Heartless as well their family members. So what Maleficent is doing is not Villain Decay since she plans to boost her Heartless horde by turning a beloved and popular figure into a monster and then let him loose on innocent, goodhearted people, specifically children, from around the universe, and no one would see it coming, since Santa is the last person they would suspect being an heart consuming monster acting on orders of one of the most megalomaniacal people around.

Blink Me

I'd be pretty disappointed if KH3 does involve just going back to the same old Disney worlds again. I've had enough of Agrabah, Halloween Town, Olympus Coliseum and Atlantica. Let some other Disney worlds have a chance to shine. Also I didn't realise there was a secret boss fight with Julius in KH3D. I hope there's more secret Disney character boss fights in the new games. Finally what new FF/Square characters do you think will cameo in KH3?

I'd be pretty disappointed if KH3 does involve just going back to the same old Disney worlds again. I've had enough of Agrabah, Halloween Town, Olympus Coliseum and Atlantica. Let some other Disney worlds have a chance to shine. Also I didn't realise there was a secret boss fight with Julius in KH3D. I hope there's more secret Disney character boss fights in the new games. Finally what new FF/Square characters do you think will cameo in KH3?

I don't think we'll see Halloween Town come back, but I would be surprised if the Olympus Coliseum didn't return (and, as long as it's treated as a coliseum, ideally KH1 style, that's just peachy).

Mirage Arena is infinitely better.

KH1's Coliseum gives you actual, tangible rewards for beating all four cups all three possible ways; it's a huge bummer than KH2's Hades Paradox Cup doesn't actually give you any reward outside of counting toward journal completion and there's only one possible prize per cup.

The Mirage Arena does a good job of being rewarding again compared to how that stuff was handled in KH2, but it's still got a bunch of problems. A bunch of the rewards you can obtain through the Mirage Arena are *only* useful in multiplayer; you don't gain experience from the Mirage Arena battles, IIRC; and the Command Board and Rumble Racing features are weirdly duplicated there for the sake of having a multiplayer version of each of them.

I'm hoping that KH 2.5 Remix's version of Birth By Sleep tweaks the Mirage Arena difficulty and reward system, because it *could* absolutely be the best in the series when it's revamped to be a strictly single-player experience. But it'd still lack some things that KH1 had (actual storytelling, for example).

Caladrius

I'm hoping that KH 2.5 Remix's version of Birth By Sleep tweaks the Mirage Arena difficulty and reward system, because it *could* absolutely be the best in the series when it's revamped to be a strictly single-player experience. But it'd still lack some things that KH1 had (actual storytelling, for example).

Going through everything to actually get your arena level maxed out and fight the extra bosses was insanely annoying. It's the only thing that keeps me from playing BBSFM repeatedly.

Makes me wonder what the fuck were they thinking with KH2 coliseum. It could have potentially been really cool looking but it just ended up being so... bland.

And what the fuck is this? THIS is where it's at.

The KH2 Colosseum felt rushed to me for some reason.
And the KH2 music is hella terrible. Yoko plz.

Vanilla KH2 didn't have much in the way of quality postgame/side content. Final Mix changed all that, of course, but it mostly did so by addition (crown pieces, mushroom xiii, absent silhouettes, data replicas) rather than by fixing the problems with the Underdrome, adding actual rewards for stuff like the skateboarding minigame, and so on.

Soriku

My apologies, I meant the colosseum music. It's two and a half minutes of synth farting.

Most of the rest of the soundtrack is stellar.

Except for that game's One Winged Angel remix, which sounds fine in the game but actually listening to it in isolation isn't very good.

Also Atlantica but that goes without saying.

OWA's arrangement in KH2 is the best the song's ever sounded IMO.

addik

Speaking of music, some fan did a fanmusic for a Frozen world

I got way to excited for this possibility. The fanmusic isn't that bad though I wished he/she didn't stick too much with melody for Do You Want To Build a Snowman

Tizoc

Anyone know where to find a complete save file of the PSP Birth by Sleep for the Asian ver.?
The code on the side of my brother's copy, which he tells me he got from Malaysia is UCAS40317. Being Asia ver., it's region 3. He's beaten the game before but over-wrote the save data.

Psxphile

Random thought, but I hope in 2.5 they deem fit to retain Sora's handwritten notes in Jiminy's Journal this time for the localized version.

Anyone know where to find a complete save file of the PSP Birth by Sleep for the Asian ver.?
The code on the side of my brother's copy, which he tells me he got from Malaysia is UCAS40317. Being Asia ver., it's region 3. He's beaten the game before but over-wrote the save data.

Probably not as simple as downloading a Japan region file and changing all instances of "ULJMXXXXX" to "UCAS40317", huh? Maybe someone here has a copy of the same region and can upload their files.

I'm gonna start counting days when March hits and complain something about the series every day until we get more 2.5 news.

Now that I think about Nomuras ''season'' comment I'm afraid it becomes more and more likely to be Fall. God damnit SE, can't you see May is the perfect spot for WW release! What even releases then?

I'm gonna start counting days when March hits and complain something about the series every day until we get more 2.5 news.

Now that I think about Nomuras ''season'' comment I'm afraid it becomes more and more likely to be Fall. God damnit SE, can't you see May is the perfect spot for WW release! What even releases then?

I kinda expect 2.5 news to hit basically right after FFX HD comes out in North America. So: late March.

Likewise for FFXV (at least in Japanese magazines, if not with video footage).

I kinda expect 2.5 news to hit basically right after FFX HD comes out in North America. So: late March.

Likewise for FFXV (at least in Japanese magazines, if not with video footage).

Watch them release it again in Sept when shitton of other games come out within few weeks :(.

Last time was terrible enough for my wallet (and my patience!). But oh well, time does run fast. Can't believe it's already been like over 4 months since it was officially revealed.

Watch them release it again in Sept when shitton of other games come out within few weeks :(.

Last time was terrible enough for my wallet (and my patience!). But oh well, time does run fast. Can't believe it's already been like over 4 months since it was officially revealed.

Repeat after me: "I don't actually need any games except for Kingdom Hearts."

Also, the December trailer barely showed us any gameplay (though at least there was some). I wouldn't be surprised if there's a lot more work to be done in that regard.

Also, the December trailer barely showed us any gameplay (though at least there was some). I wouldn't be surprised if there's a lot more work to be done in that regard.
Oh, not to worry, I would buy 2.5 over anything that's coming this fall (well, maybe not Danganronpa 2..) ANYWAY I would like to have dem games spread out so my wallet has easier time to digest it all :).

IIRC last time it was 1.5, Rayman, Puppeteer, Ducktales, Miku and bunch of others just rammed to a span of few weeks.

I don't think there is much work on gameplay really. If it was playable at JF on PS3 hardware there shouldn't be much of problems getting a huge majority of the game running well easily from that if they had a stable build. I'd imagine the work is more about the new music, new art assets and performance rather than getting the game working. Who knows tho.

Also as you said they have other games still coming out and some that have just released. It's entirely possible the game is basically 99% complete right now but they are just sitting on it for strategic reasons.

Remember that trailer of 1.5 they released less than 3 months before japanese release that showed Re:CoM gameplay with TERRIBLE framerate? I'd imagine they don't want to repeat that.

Caladrius

What if there really was no footage and Kingdom Hearts II.5 was just a mass hallucination?

Oh, not to worry, I would buy 2.5 over anything that's coming this fall (well, maybe not Danganronpa 2..) ANYWAY I would like to have dem games spread out so my wallet has easier time to digest it all :).

IIRC last time it was 1.5, Rayman, Puppeteer, Ducktales, Miku and bunch of others just rammed to a span of few weeks.

I don't think there is much work on gameplay really. If it was playable at JF on PS3 hardware there shouldn't be much of problems getting a huge majority of the game running well easily from that if they had a stable build. I'd imagine the work is more about the new music, new art assets and performance rather than getting the game working. Who knows tho.

Also as you said they have other games still coming out and some that have just released. It's entirely possible the game is basically 99% complete right now but they are just sitting on it for strategic reasons.

Remember that trailer of 1.5 they released less than 3 months before japanese release that showed Re:CoM gameplay with TERRIBLE framerate? I'd imagine they don't want to repeat that.

Yeah, for sure. (And CoM was running much better by the time it released, if I recall correctly - I can't remember if it was Raging Storm or Firaga Burst that caused the slowdown but I'm pretty sure it was fine in the final game).

ZenaxPure

What if there really was no footage and Kingdom Hearts II.5 was just a mass hallucination?

That's a world I don't want to live in cause I am really looking forward to playing BBS again. It's been about a year since I last touched it.

I actually still haven't bought 1.5, I really need to at some point, but, there is just so many other games I want to buy and not much cash.

I hope the next time KH 2.5 HD Remix gets presented it means much more gameplay footage, more talk with the press, answers about what they'll be doing with the Mirage Arena and what kind of musical/visual improvements we can expect.

I'd also not mind an actual direct answer about when they'll bring KH:DDD or its cutscenes to consoles, but I don't expect them to talk about that yet.

Oh, and I'm really really hoping that the scenes that didn't get English voice-overs for KH2FM will finally get that for this release.

I hope the next time KH 2.5 HD Remix gets presented it means much more gameplay footage, more talk with the press, answers about what they'll be doing with the Mirage Arena and what kind of musical/visual improvements we can expect.

I'd also not mind an actual direct answer about when they'll bring KH:DDD or its cutscenes to consoles, but I don't expect them to talk about that yet.

Oh, and I'm really really hoping that the scenes that didn't get English voice-overs for KH2FM will finally get that for this release.

That also reminds me that outside some of the bullshot models all the released media for 1.5 looked like fuckin ass compared to the final game. I couldn't believe how sharp the game looked compared to the trailers and gameplay previews. I'll never understand why publishers don't pay attention to the IQ of material they release. You'd think they actually want to hurt the hype. Luckily we have sites like Eg df and gamersbyte(?) that actually release quality footage.

Malyse

About Xehanort.

Xehanort is a force of darkness, but that doesn't make him evil. Darkness is not a force of evil but rather of chaos. It follows no order or rules and like fire, wants to expand. If handled leniently it consumes you, but if handled with force can become a dangerous and powerful weapon that can be used for good or evil. Riku basically confirms this. Light, on the other hand, is order. Order, by most people, is seen as a good things while chaos is often completely shunned. However, too much of either is a bad thing. Though his methods are questionable at best, Xehonart isn't necessarily wrong in seeking to restore the balance and opposing the tyranny of light.

Xehanort's win condition is not precluded by his defeat. In fact, the other incarnations in the series have achieved their goals only to be defeated despite. Ansem SOD sought to open the door to Kingdom Hearts and did just that, only to be annihilated by the light contained within. Xemnas sought to merge with Kingdom Hearts and, though damaged, did just that only to be foiled by efforts of Sora and Riku. OG Master Xehanort sought a new body and got it, only to get his ass beat so bad by Aqua that he caught a case of amnesia. So that brings us to Xehanort's win condition. Xehanort doesn't want to cover the worlds in darkness or conquer the universe: he simply wants to reforge the χblade and open up Kingdom Hearts, what else happens is a side effect of his end goal. Granted, to what end he wants to use Kingdom Heart is a valid question and it could be that he intends to use it for nefarious intent, but there is no reason that KH3 can't have him succeed before he fails. Plus:

"The war in that place will lead to the defeat and destruction of the Light.
The World will be enveloped in eternal Darkness."

The last sentence of the foreteller's script tells us he'll most likely succeed. Having a massive sea change such as "covering all the worlds in darkness" or "reunify the worlds" would be a pretty good setup for KH4, as they can fully justify throwing out all of the previous backstory and events.

As an improbable side note, Xehanort might actually just be a determinator and really one of the good guys, a la DiZ/Ansem the Wise. Also worth considering is that they probably want to keep blood off of Sora's hands: to date, he's not killed an entelechy, only nobodies and heartless. Regardless of how you feel about Bad Man X, having Sora straight up off him would be a little extreme to say the least, so it would be an easier route to have Xehanort's victory be his ultimate undoing. Speaking of which:

About Sora.

I've for a long time held that Sora is more likely one of the darknesses that one of the lights, but there was something that just now clicked for me. This is Sora in KH1. And here he is in KH2. Did you catch that? Let me give you a few hints. Here's Isa in BBS. And here he is in 3D. Here's Braig in BBS. And here's 3D Braig. So why is this relevant? This pictures show that Xehanort's encroachment on the heart has a quantifiable visual effect on the characters appearance, namely the golden eyes, and the lightened hair until it eventually turns grey. So what then can we take from Sora's lightened hair from KH1 to KH2?

I think some pictures are missing from your post.

But also, don't forget that Roxas merges back with Sora before Sora becomes playable in KH2, which could account for the hair-lightening business.

Psxphile

Sora's hair was lighter (some might say paler) in beta footage of KH1. It was darkened before the game was released. His 2D character art shows him with the lighter brown hair, though. KH2 just changed it back to the lighter shade that Nomura probably preferred. I personally don't see anything in that.

I would be okay with Xehanort "succeeding" despite defeat and completely flooding the worlds with Darkness as an aftereffect of his desires. One saga leads to another.

It's not uncommon for them to sneak in call forwards. For example, Tink and Roxas, or the Recusant Sigil and the outfits of Ventus, Aqua, and Terra and even Riku.

The only RS confirmed is the one on Sora in 3D. Unless stated otherwise, any other X's should be considered as just a design theme and nothing more.

Malyse

Sora's hair was lighter (some might say paler) in beta footage of KH1. It was darkened before the game was released. His 2D character art shows him with the lighter brown hair, though. KH2 just changed it back to the lighter shade that Nomura probably preferred. I personally don't see anything in that.

The 2D art shows a change as well.

KH1 Sora vs KH2 Sora

The only RS confirmed is the one on Sora in 3D. Unless stated otherwise, any other X's should be considered as just a design theme and nothing more.

Not true.

Did deciding on the three main character’s design go smoothly?
Nomura: No, I had a relatively hard time with that. Especially with those three armored suits they transform into, when I was first designing them I had decided that it'd be "armor that becomes a round device." However thinking of how to incorporate that sort of device into clothing was difficult. But once "X" became a keyword for this story, the shape of that symbol became inspiration for the main three's outfits.

Psxphile

The 2D art shows a change as well.

KH1 Sora vs KH2 Sora

Any "changes" you're seeing can easily be covered by that one all-important caveat: they're older. Designs change to reflect the difference between then and now. Is his being taller also mean he's being transformed into a dark entity?

Not true.

Um... that just reinforces my point. Anyway, you're overlooking something: why would Aqua and Terra have a Sigil on there persons before ever meeting Master Xehanort? Xehanort even admits in his 11th Report not knowing about Terra and Aqua until he first arrives to drop off Ventus. And then there's Ventus, who had a slightly-different uniform with no X when training with MX, and then magically gains one after he's been left with Eraqus.

Because really, it sounds a lot like Master Eraqus is the one handing out the X's here, not MX.

Malyse

Any "changes" you're seeing can easily be covered by that one all-important caveat: they're older. Designs change to reflect the difference between then and now. Is his being taller also mean he's being transformed into a dark entity?

Riku and Kairi are both older as well and neither of them had a a comparable change. Though it's possible that Riku's hair might have lightened as well, it's so pale that it's difficult to tell any difference. Also, no one likes a jerkass.

Um... that just reinforces my point. Anyway, you're overlooking something: why would Aqua and Terra have a Sigil on there persons before ever meeting Master Xehanort? Xehanort even admits in his 11th Report not knowing about Terra and Aqua until he first arrives to drop off Ventus. And then there's Ventus, who had a slightly-different uniform with no X when training with MX, and then magically gains one after he's been left with Eraqus.

Because really, it sounds a lot like Master Eraqus is the one handing out the X's here, not MX.

Ventus and Vanitas were not matched in power; I could not train them together, or Vanitas's darkness would gnaw away what little Ventus had left.
Of course, since I needed a place where the boy's light might flourish, the answer was obvious: Eraqus, and his absolutes.
Considering how we had parted ways, I expected friction—but if anything, Eraqus seemed delighted to see me again. He readily agreed to take care of Ventus. Now I need only wait for the boy's heart to get stronger.
I had not visited this second home of mine for some time, and discovered Eraqus had already found two pupils of his own. Within one of them, Terra, I sensed something. The boy, though well-intentioned, seeks power single-mindedly. And that kind of hunger is a seedbed for darkness.
I had found my vessel.

Nothing in that contradicts me. That was quite obviously written some time before the events of BBS, so Xehanort knew about Terra. Also, the only one manipulated directly by Xehanort was Terra. Now, let's look at their outfits:

1343063316kingdom-hearts-birth-by-sleep-characters-screenshot.jpg

Yes all three do have X across their chests. But if you look at Aqua and Ventus, their X is broken by the Mark of Mastery. This is why Aqua and Ventus keep running into Vanitus in their respective story modes: Xehanort con only track Terra, so he has to seen Vanitas to physically confirm the location of the other two. It not just the X the matters; it has to be an unbroken X. And we have no idea when Xehanort discovered he could track the recusant's sigil, but I'm certain that Nomura had it in mind for quite some time. Going back to the tendency of KH games to call forward, the recusant sigil was called forward way back in the first Kingdom Hearts, wherein Riku's dark mode outfit had a Heartless symbol sans the X. Why? Because even after he fell to darkness, his heart was so strong as to not be branded by Xehanort; this also served as foreshadowing for Riku's eventual ability to break the shackles Ansem SOD held on his heart and wield the dark as his own.

Psxphile

First things first:

Also, no one likes a jerkass.

I see. So now everything I say or do to counter any of your points will be seen as jerkish behavior and not just basic critiques or any kind of meaningful debate. Nice.

Riku and Kairi are both older as well and neither of them had a a comparable change.

And by "comparable change" we're solely talking about the hair-lightening thing? Just that, and nothing else right?

Look, I agree about the Xehanort influencing thing with the gold eyes since that's a very obvious change (Braig). But hair jumping from one shade to another, slightly-different shade? Especially when we saw Terra's go full-on white as soon as he was possessed? Also: no mention of the pointy ears?

Nothing in that contradicts me. That was quite obviously written some time before the events of BBS, so Xehanort knew about Terra.

That wasn't the point. Yes, the report was written before BbS plays out, but after he first meets Eraqus' apprentices. Yet they already have X's on their uniforms. So is he lying in his report? Does he already know about Terra before that point?

Yes all three do have X across their chests. But if you look at Aqua and Ventus, their X is broken by the Mark of Mastery.

What a horrible tracking device, being so easy to disrupt. You can place any old thing on top of it and it just stops working. Sora constantly places his hand over his heart during the course of 3D: the 13 darknesses must have running around frantic every time his "signal" vanished.

On that note: I just realized Aqua never got her plat for becoming a master. ;_;

Going back to the tendency of KH games to call forward, the recusant sigil was called forward way back in the first Kingdom Hearts, wherein Riku's dark mode outfit had a Heartless symbol sans the X. Why? Because even after he fell to darkness, his heart was so strong as to not be branded by Xehanort; this also served as foreshadowing for Riku's eventual ability to break the shackles Ansem SOD held on his heart and wield the dark as his own.

Or... he didn't have one because it hadn't been thought up yet. I think you might be overthinking this. I'm going to go with my original assessment and presume that the extra X's mean little or nothing in the grand scheme of things and it's just a design choice. Of course, there's nothing stopping Nomura from retconning them into something meaningful... but as it stands there's currently not enough evidence to suggest they're anything special except extrapolations and vaguely fanfic-like theories.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
Soooo I just read the requirements for getting the secret movie in KHII Final Mix. I think I'll go for Proud Mode because fuck the Gummi Missions.
Plus, playing through KH2 (Standard Mode) a while back, it was really easy. Even the notorious bosses I had trouble with when I was younger were a piece of cake (notably Xaldin).

Caladrius

Soooo I just read the requirements for getting the secret movie in KHII Final Mix. I think I'll go for Proud Mode because fuck the Gummi Missions.
Plus, playing through KH2 (Standard Mode) a while back, it was really easy. Even the notorious bosses I had trouble with when I was younger were a piece of cake (notably Xaldin).

Jiminy's journal is still torture though. I went for critical.

Malyse

You can always go critical. Ha ha OTL

I see. So now everything I say or do to counter any of your points will be seen as jerkish behavior and not just basic critiques or any kind of meaningful debate. Nice.

Is his being taller also mean he's being transformed into a dark entity?

Are we pretending this wasn't a slight intended to mock me? I mean, we can play the disengenuous game or we can talk about the points I raised.

Of which Sora's hair was the last. I brought up a hell of a lot more than that. But whateves, lets discuss Xehanort and the potential of Sora to be one of the 13 darknesses in oppose to the 7 lights as well as the fact that Xehanort isn't necessarily evil.

Top Bottom