• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kingdom Hearts Community Thread: Now everybody can be a Keyblade Wielder!

I got a video of me fighting the Data Roxas from KH II FM, what do you guys think?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AGrCUJKyE7o&feature=c4-overview&list=UUSVs8fKqtX5PzU759f8awkQ

Great perfect playing until the halfway point when the battle becomes a lot tougher (at which point it's damn to avoid taking damage). And I always love watching solo boss battles with Limit Form + Once More + Second Chance. So fucking intense with KH2's fairly pitiless Curaga-consumes-your-whole-MP thing - you need to keep attacking relentlessly just to stay alive. <3

Great perfect playing until the halfway point when the battle becomes a lot tougher (at which point it's damn to avoid taking damage). And I always love watching solo boss battles with Limit Form + Once More + Second Chance. So fucking intense with KH2's fairly pitiless Curaga-consumes-your-whole-MP thing - you need to keep attacking relentlessly just to stay alive. <3

Yeah! That's why I love KH II gameplay, you got to keep it together to stay alive when curaga is already been cast. Data battles from the FM+ really show that you must know what you're doing instead of just keep pushing the attack button.

Yeah! That's why I love KH II gameplay, you got to keep it together to stay alive when curaga is already been cast. Data battles from the FM+ really show that you must know what you're doing instead of just keep pushing the attack button.
Skilled KH2 vanilla defensive gameplay generally retained the utility of Guard from KH1 but replace Dodge Roll with well-timed Reflectga. Having all three in KH2FM is great because on any given attack two of the three are probably useful - it adds to the dynamism of the gameplay while actually smoothing out the learning curve (and making the difficulty curve longer with ultra-hard boss fights and critical difficulty to compensate).

Psxphile

Malyse

It's been an eternity so remind me: isn't there a way to cheese the Mysterious Figure fight with Donald's Comet ability?

Yes, but he can break it. I tried it in one of my 50 tries and got him to when his... Wait for it... Rage Awakened and he wiped my ass.

Yes, but he can break it. I tried it in one of my 50 tries and got him to when his... Wait for it... Rage Awakened and he wiped my ass.

Yeah, KH superbosses are generally pretty good at making sure that you really need to actually learn their attacks no matter what.

Still wish the Lingering Will didn't have a command-locking health-draining attack, nor the Xemnas fight in KH1. That stuff breaks the fourth wall too much (and is also way too damn lethal).

At least the one in KH2 does the smart job of raising the stakes, but making it much easier to break out of.

Stuff like the Re:CoM fights where your cards get blown away (Zexion, final Marluxia battle) or the BBS fight with Young Xehanort/Mysterious Figure where your commands get blown away bugs me too.

Same goes for a bunch of the like mechanics in KH2 with assorted Organization members - most notably the fight with Luxord.

Yeah, KH superbosses are generally pretty good at making sure that you really need to actually learn their attacks no matter what.

Still wish the Lingering Will didn't have a command-locking health-draining attack, nor the Xemnas fight in KH1. That stuff breaks the fourth wall too much (and is also way too damn lethal).

At least the one in KH2 does the smart job of raising the stakes, but making it much easier to break out of.

Stuff like the Re:CoM fights where your cards get blown away (Zexion, final Marluxia battle) or the BBS fight with Young Xehanort/Mysterious Figure where your commands get blown away bugs me too.

Same goes for a bunch of the like mechanics in KH2 with assorted Organization members - most notably the fight with Luxord.

Thing that bothered me with Luxord was not the ''games'' that kind of fit with him but the total waste of the most interesting element the org had, time. There are so many interesting things you could do with that.

Man, I wish KH2 had offensive gameplay that was more interesting. The defensive gameplay is pretty strong between Leaf Bracer/Dodge Roll/Air Dodge/Reflectga/Limit Form's HP gain/Guard/air recovery/reaction commands, but the offensive game really just adds up to finding ways to stunlock/juggle enemies for as long as humanly possible.
Thing that bothered me with Luxord was not the ''games'' that kind of fit with him but the total waste of the most interesting element the org had, time. There are so many interesting things you could do with that.
At least Young Xehanort, based on the battles with him so far, does a more interesting job of that.

Malyse

Man, I wish KH2 had offensive gameplay that was more interesting. The defensive gameplay is pretty strong between Leaf Bracer/Dodge Roll/Air Dodge/Reflectga/Limit Form's HP gain/Guard/air recovery/reaction commands, but the offensive game really just adds up to finding ways to stunlock/juggle enemies for as long as humanly possible.
At least Young Xehanort, based on the battles with him so far, does a more interesting job of that.

Aw man, I had a pretty badass headcanon on Luxord that I posted somewhere. Lemme see if I can find it.

Malyse

Aw man, I had a pretty badass headcanon on Luxord that I posted somewhere. Lemme see if I can find it.

I can't.

So instead how about this:

Hypothetically speaking, which would you rather play: A hunting action game in the vein of Monster Hunter or Phantasy Star Online set in the Kingdom Hearts Universe (probably as an adaptation of Kingdom Hearts [chi]) (I can go into explicit detail if you can't visualize it/If you want to here my concept for a Kingdom Hearts hunter) or a Dissidia game with Kingdom Hearts characters?

Fun fact: Dissidia was supposed to be a KH game

I can't.

Hypothetically speaking, which would you rather play: A hunting action game in the vein of Monster Hunter or Phantasy Star Online set in the Kingdom Hearts Universe (probably as an adaptation of Kingdom Hearts [chi]) (I can go into explicit detail if you can't visualize it/If you want to here my concept for a Kingdom Hearts hunter) or a Dissidia game with Kingdom Hearts characters?

Dissidia by far.

It's been an eternity so remind me: isn't there a way to cheese the Mysterious Figure fight with Donald's Comet ability?

Yeah.

Despite being cheaply designed, there's a lot of creative ways to cheese Mysterious Figure. If I knew where my old hard drive was, I'd upload the video I made a few years back of Ventus beating him with nothing but Ice Slide and a few Curagas.

Yeah.

Despite being cheaply designed, there's a lot of creative ways to cheese Mysterious Figure. If I knew where my old hard drive was, I'd upload the video I made a few years back of Ventus beating him with nothing but Ice Slide and a few Curagas.

Sorry, I meant KH2FM's Lingering Will (Terra's armor).

I know that BBSFM's Mysterious Figure (a time-travelling Young Xehanort) is eminently cheesable if you just maximize your invincibility frames, yeah.

SoulUnison

Banned

Cards being blown away in CoM doesn't bug me because it seems to follow the in universe rules, too. Characters are seen handling the cards and you're told more than once that "Everything in Castle Oblivion is ruled by the cards."

I imagine Sora actually needing to keep a deck of card on his person and being familiar with it, and if he tried to do something he didn't have a card for his body simply wouldn't let him. Enemies blowing away and scattering his cards in gameplay is exactly what they're doing in-universe, because it literally keeps Sora from doing any attacking or recovering, or...much of anything.

Mecha

I can't.

A musou style spin-off (preferably with Sengoku Basara combat) would be a fun choice also. Whenever I fight the Organization I think about how they would be fun in a musou style game.

Malyse

A musou style spin-off (preferably with Sengoku Basara combat) would be a fun choice also. Whenever I fight the Organization I think about how they would be fun in a musou style game.

MonHun/PSO >>>>>>>>>>> Musuo IMO. Create a Character!

Cards being blown away in CoM doesn't bug me because it seems to follow the in universe rules, too. Characters are seen handling the cards and you're told more than once that "Everything in Castle Oblivion is ruled by the cards."

I imagine Sora actually needing to keep a deck of card on his person and being familiar with it, and if he tried to do something he didn't have a card for his body simply wouldn't let him. Enemies blowing away and scattering his cards in gameplay is exactly what they're doing in-universe, because it literally keeps Sora from doing any attacking or recovering, or...much of anything.
That game does a better job of making all that stuff a part of the story, yeah.

Levyne

Banned
Hi KH gaf.

I am trying to be more active in various community threads, so I am subscribing to this one!

Just wanted to have an intro of sort before participating so people don't wonder where I came from >_>

Roxas needs to come back.
Roxas is a new/false name that Xehanort gave him in order to mark him with the Recusant's Sigil (the X) like the rest of Organization XIII. He'll get merged into Ventus when Sora returns Ven's heart-fragment to him to wake him up and unbreak his heart, I think. Ventus will wake up with all of his own memories from BBS and before *and* all of the memories of his relationships with Axel, Xion, and Naminé.

Simple and clean.

Psxphile

kingdom_karts_by_brandokay.jpg

The genre we deserve.

[Fun fact: Dissidia was supposed to be a KH game

That's not fun. That's not fun at all!

THANKS DISNEY.

Roxas is a new/false name that Xehanort gave him in order to mark him with the Recusant's Sigil (the X) like the rest of Organization XIII. He'll get merged into Ventus when Sora returns Ven's heart-fragment to him to wake him up and unbreak his heart, I think. Ventus will wake up with all of his own memories from BBS and before *and* all of the memories of his relationships with Axel, Xion, and Naminé.

Simple and clean.

Too simple and clean for Nomura. Prepare yourself for blonde-haired kid w/ dual personalities. Both of them whiny.

Hi KH gaf.

I am trying to be more active in various community threads, so I am subscribing to this one!

Just wanted to have an intro of sort before participating so people don't wonder where I came from >_>

Welcome.

... so, where *do* you come from?

Malyse

Simple and clean.

Not so. Roxas =! Ventus.
My_Friends_Are_My_Power!_01_KH3D.png

As 3D shows, they are independent entities.

Allow me to quote:

Roxas always had Ventus' heart, it's why he looks like him. We haven't gotten confirmation whether he grew his own heart or not. It's possible he did indeed grow his own heart and that's how he felt feelings or he was borrowing Ven's heart to feel emotions.

DDD implied that he did though. When Riku dives into Sora what does he find? Ventus(who we know for a fact is currently in Sora), Xion, and Roxas. Neither Xion or Roxas had hearts to begin with but the fact that they are currently with Sora implies that they both grew hearts.

Roxas and Ventus are two separate entities, but Ven's heart is what originally gave Roxas the ability to express and comprehend emotion. This was like fertilizer to Roxas's own heart growing, and sped the process up considerably.

In time, and by connecting with others including Xion and Axel, Roxas grew his own Heart. While that process never quite finished, and Roxas's heart still never reached "full" growth, Roxas was certainly the most human of the Organization's members.

Xion may also have gained a heart. But we're not really given enough information to understand her existence properly. She is... well she's barely there, ya know? I really hope she gets a body, Heart, and Mind of her own instead of just being a Memory Construct in 3.

At any rate, all four of these potential hearts rejoined with Sora. He is made of His own Heart, Roxas, Ventus, and Xion. That explains why he's so freaking strong when it comes to the Keyblade. He's got four hearts powering his Key.

Roxas merely sheltered Ventus' iirc (just like how it was in Sora prior to him becoming a heartless).

But does Roxas have his own heart?

Yes. Think of it as Roxas was pregnant with Ventus. Ventus couldn't do anything, he was just a sleeping heart. He affects how Roxas looks, but Roxas still has his own heart built of his own memories.

Personally, I think that when Ventus is extracted from Sora's heart, Roxas will end up being reborn as well, alongside of Xion.

Also, Jesse makes them sound pretty different.

&#9684;_&#9684;

Rumble_Racing.png

Aqua_Rumble_Racing_BBS.png

That's not fun. That's not fun at all!

THANKS DISNEY.

But it's not Disney's fault? Nomura canceled it himself.

MAtgS

But it's not Disney's fault? Nomura canceled it himself.

THIS THIS THIS.
http://www.siliconera.com/2009/06/30/dissidia-final-fantasy-originated-from-kingdom-hearts/
Nomura said:
We made a game where characters from various FF games got together to battle, Dissidia, but that was a project we were originally thinking of using for KH. However, deciding it would be a bad idea to make Disney characters fight each other, it never materialized for KH and ended up shifting to FF.

Would Disney have said no? Maybe but it wasn't actually their call.

In fact, Disney at 1 point considered a fighting of their own.

Malyse

Eh. As independent as Xemnas and Ansem SoD are. That's how fragmented beings work.

Roxas was growing his own heart. That's why he shows up when Riku dives into Sora's dream. Everyone there has a heart: Ventus, Xion, Roxas, and Ansem. Xemnas and Ansem SOD are a different case entirely.

Psxphile

The more I play Ys Celceta, the more I feel like playing an offshoot Kingdom Hearts title using that kind of battle system. Won't work for a mainline title like KHIII because there's much more emphasis on action and actively dodging and less on support skills like healing.

Actually, 358/2 Days in that style would have worked a whole lot better than what we originally got. Swapping Organization members on the fly, emphasis on weapon types during battle, attack skills activated with shortcut keys after building up meter.... could have been interesting. The DS control pad still would've sucked the fun out of it, though.

I think I made this known already, but I also would have liked to see the RPG battle system used in Re:Coded expanded on. Button timings, combination attacks... maybe with some Valkyrie Profile thrown in to spice things up. Damn, I would totally play that.

The more I play Ys Celceta, the more I feel like playing an offshoot Kingdom Hearts title using that kind of battle system. Won't work for a mainline title like KHIII because there's much more emphasis on action and actively dodging and less on support skills like healing.

Actually, 358/2 Days in that style would have worked a whole lot better than what we originally got. Swapping Organization members on the fly, emphasis on weapon types during battle, attack skills activated with shortcut keys after building up meter.... could have been interesting. The DS control pad still would've sucked the fun out of it, though.

I think I made this known already, but I also would have liked to see the RPG battle system used in Re:Coded expanded on. Button timings, combination attacks... maybe with some Valkyrie Profile thrown in to spice things up. Damn, I would totally play that.

Yeah, there's potential for a very cool more gameplay-focused KH game that uses a lot of additional combat styles and includes all of the members of the original Organization XIII, plus all of the other villains, all of the assorted heroic Keyblade wielders/masters, and so on.

Caladrius

Yeah, there's potential for a very cool more gameplay-focused KH game that uses a lot of additional combat styles and includes all of the members of the original Organization XIII, plus all of the other villains, all of the assorted heroic Keyblade wielders/masters, and so on.

My only regret with the game being New gen is that a lot of development effort is probably going to be spent getting a hang of the new hardware and squeezing the most out of it instead of fleshing out the game's auxiliary features.

Not that they would have had an easy time on the PS3 either.

Levyne

Banned
I think I find the Celceta combat to be something a bit more reactionary, with the flash guarding and dodging being essential, where Kingdom Hearts seems to be a bit more about stringing moves together, offensively focused while dodging or moving if you find it necessary. Dunno if that makes sense.

ZenaxPure

I think I find the Celceta combat to be something a bit more reactionary, with the flash guarding and dodging being essential, where Kingdom Hearts seems to be a bit more about stringing moves together, offensively focused while dodging or moving if you find it necessary. Dunno if that makes sense.

Depends on what KH we are talking about. I think that statement is pretty accurate for the newer games, but, I feel like KH1 is built around proper dodging/parrying and then taking advantage of the opening those defensive moves usually give you to get in some attacks. Unfortunately I haven't played Celceta so I can't really speak to it, but, what you describe does remind me of KH1.

That said, I have to echo that is is a shame Days turned out like it did. I think a game where you could play as different Org members who all felt and played differently could make for a really awesome game. It's a shame Days squandered the opportunity. The fighting style of the Org members are all so different, it's just begging for a game focused around it.

FF and KH handled the first HD generation's stress and costs of development pretty differently (FF was all about reusing assets in sequels that could be quickly developed; KH was all about a temporary retreat to handhelds).

Now that KH is returning to consoles, I kind of wonder whether we'll see a game like what we're describing, if only to make further use of the costly assets developed for KH3. Or whether KH3 will have some sort of online mode (hey, BBS and DDD had the ability to play *something* against and/or in cooperation with other players - it'd be weird for KH3 not to) with this sort of thing.

Caladrius

^ AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

The Kingdom Hearts Facebook page has a survey up: https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/GP7XTLF

Something tells me they're looking for spinoff ideas judging by the amount of market research-y stuff that's in it. (They have questions about completely unrelated genres as well as on 7th gen and portable platforms.).

My answers were predictably fangasms about the extra bosses and complaining about the Final Mixes.

Tsunamo

I'm curious as to if we'll see anything come of this survey. Best I'm hoping for would be a Chi localisation (Facebook would seem like a no brainer to me on where to put it but being Square-Enix it wouldn't suprise me if we ended up with a mobile port in the West instead) and them taking into account what people want with a limited edition of 2.5

I doubt the messages in regards to gameplay will be passed onto the right people but who knows.

And poor Vita, not even a option on list of platforms you play :(

Top Bottom