• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kingdom Hearts Community Thread: Now everybody can be a Keyblade Wielder!

Malyse

I'm curious as to if we'll see anything come of this survey. Best I'm hoping for would be a Chi localisation (Facebook would seem like a no brainer to me on where to put it but being Square-Enix it wouldn't suprise me if we ended up with a mobile port in the West instead) and them taking into account what people want with a limited edition of 2.5

I doubt the messages in regards to gameplay will be passed onto the right people but who knows.

And poor Vita, not even a option on list of platforms you play :(

Localization is happening. It's only a question of release. Though it would be preferable if they were to just all language options to the existing game.

Mecha

I put a few hints in there about how they should have a KH3 teaser/trailer in KH2.5. I'm sure they will listen!

I put a few hints in there about how they should have a KH3 teaser/trailer in KH2.5. I'm sure they will listen!

They'll likely tease something of the sort in the same way that the KH 1.5 HD Remix credits included teases for KH 2.5 (and the DDD credits teased the 1.5 HD Remix).

0.5 HD with Chi theater & a resurrected BBSv2.
a guy can dream, can't he?

I wouldn't be terribly surprised to see an eventual game chronicling events in the World of Darkness (Aqua's time there, Mickey obtaining the key on that side, and maybe a wee bit of Riku - though not much of him, since there's no indication that he's met Aqua and his story in Chain of Memories picks up pretty much right after he shuts the door, it seems). But it's pretty clear at this point that the next fully new KH title we're going to get will be KH3.

If any game chronicling Aqua's time in the World of Darkness does end up happening, I don't think we'll see it until after KH3 comes out. But it could be a good way to help set up whoever the post-Xehanort villain will be, I think.

Not a game just a cutscenes movie with DDD 3DHD

I thought for a long while that that would be much more likely than a console-playable version of DDD, because DDD makes really, really heavy use of the dual-screens and touchscreen mechanics (and also because it's not a very good game).

It's going to be absolutely essential to understanding where the plot is at the beginning of Kingdom Hearts 3, though - even moreso than Chain of Memories was for KH2, I think (given that that game at least wiped Sora's memories of the events of CoM so that his perspective picked up right after the end of KH1). And it didn't even sell that well.

Given that DDD's story is not included in 2.5 HD Remix, though, I'm not sure what happens next. If Square-Enix wanted to put a playable version of it on consoles, they'd need to fix and change a LOT - as is, it feels like a pretty incomplete game in a lot of ways.

There's no really good or sensible way for Square-Enix to handle this at this point, unless they offer a DDD movie as a downloadable extra for either the KH 2.5 HD Remix, for KH3, or they release some kind of grand KH 1.5 + KH 2.5 + DDD cutscenes thingy for PS4 in the time leading up to KH3's release.

Malyse

3D will either: A. Get included in KH3FM+, or B. Be included with the potential 3.5 ReMix with either BbSV2 or remastered scenes from [chi]

3D will either: A. Get included in KH3FM+, or B. Be included with the potential 3.5 ReMix with either BbSV2 or remastered scenes from [chi]
Hmm. That second one basically won't happen whatsoever but I could potentially see the first happening in a manner akin to what happened with Chain of Memories and KH2FM+.

You can't assume that.
KH 1.5 was done internally by members of the Osaka Team, and the same is happening for 2.5. Anything involving turning DDD into a console-playable title (let alone developing BBS Volume 2) would take too much staff away from the far more important KH3 to be plausible. It just doesn't make sense.

Inhale

Neo Member
I'm not sure if they'll even do anything with DDD. It seems the only reason they've included all the others were because they were "older" titles and would benefit from an HD remix. DDD is still pretty new so I don't really see them including that.

I'm not sure if they'll even do anything with DDD. It seems the only reason they've included all the others were because they were "older" titles and would benefit from an HD remix. DDD is still pretty new so I don't really see them including that.
DDD's kind of a criminally half-assed game (which is a huge bummer because it gets some stuff really, really right) and didn't sell well. And the stated aim of the HD collections, according to Nomura himself, is to get console-only players caught up on the series in preparation for KH3 - a purpose for which DDD is absolutely essential.

I'm currently thinking that the most likely scenario is that DDD's cutscenes and journals will be included in the inevitable KH1.5 + KH 2.5 collection on PS4.

Malyse

KH 1.5 was done internally by members of the Osaka Team, and the same is happening for 2.5. Anything involving turning DDD into a console-playable title (let alone developing BBS Volume 2) would take too much staff away from the far more important KH3 to be plausible. It just doesn't make sense.

How exactly would a game coming out after KH3 hinder the development of KH3.

I would be fine with a DDD movie in KH3.

I mean, possibly, yeah. Part of the problem with DDD is that it's basically got very little story until the final-act infodump that's way too big and convoluted to work in the style of the summaries that you obtain in DDD. It's probably the KH game that does the least to tell its own intelligible story, and instead focuses on additions to the broader mythology.

As it goes, you pretty much *need* it in movie form because a simple written summary would just be too much, I fear.

Did I already tell you guys how pissed off I will be if 2.5 doesn't voice FM scenes but they go through the trouble of voicing new scenes for fuckin Coded?

aravuus

I understood KH2 without CoM just fine, though. I doubt it'd be that easy with KH3 and
7 Xehanorts traveling through time
or whatever the stupid fucking twist was again

It introduced the Organization, it explained why Sora's level reset, it brought Riku back from the darkness, it introduced DiZ, it set up the tutorial of KH2...
I'd argue that Sora's memory wipe made all of that much easier to stomach because he, like the vast majority of players, was also learning about all of that stuff "for the first time."

That's a narrative luxury that KH3 won't be able to have, despite needing it even more.

Last year, by this time, we already had a release date for 1.5 in japan, right?

I want to know when can we expect it's release here... (and i really want to see what artpiece Nomura does for the cover, hoping it's as beautiful as the last)

Malyse

I'd argue that Sora's memory wipe made all of that much easier to stomach because he, like the vast majority of players, was also learning about all of that stuff "for the first time."

That's a narrative luxury that KH3 won't be able to have, despite needing it even more.

That you somehow think that there won't be a ton of new players with KH3 is hilarious.

Malyse

I want to know when can we expect it's release here... (and i really want to see what artpiece Nomura does for the cover, hoping it's as beautiful as the last)

It's coming in 2014 for certain, most probably this fall.

And I still think the best art in the KH series is the KH2FM+ cover.
kh2fm_992.jpg

Malyse

It's a pity that the Ultimate Hits version (Which is what I have and I think is the only kind you can still find in mint condition) crams it into a tiny box.

I hope Nomura can beat it.

Hell, give me a modified version with the BBS cast and a more colorful sky and I'll still eat it up.

I'm hoping that it will be the basis of the CG Art poster and they will expand it with pillars for Terra, Aqua, Ventus, ect.

Last year, by this time, we were 4 days away from the game releasing in Japan.

Psxphile

Did I already tell you guys how pissed off I will be if 2.5 doesn't voice FM scenes but they go through the trouble of voicing new scenes for fuckin Coded?

Shit, I knew I forgot to suggest something when I filled out that survey. They better not half-ass this. It was excusable in KH1FM, but not here. They better get Aqua back for Secret Episode, too.... or wait, better: have her redo all her lines with better direction.

It introduced the Organization, it explained why Sora's level reset, it brought Riku back from the darkness, it introduced DiZ, it set up the tutorial of KH2...

Truly, it was the beginning of the end.

I'm hoping that it will be the basis of the CG Art poster and they will expand it with pillars for Terra, Aqua, Ventus, ect.

If we're going by precedents, than a CG version of the original KHII box art would be more likely:

QiB8ODk.jpg

Not nearly as iconic as the dark city backdrop.

Caladrius

Yeah, we're probably going to get the vanilla art, unfortunately.

At least the poster can't be ruined by godawful metallic gloss.

Last year, by this time, we were 4 days away from the game releasing in Japan.

This time they have to port BBS from the PSP and redo all the textures for it. I imagine making enough filler for coded is also posing a problem.

Psxphile

I'm actually appreciative that they're not pushing the port out before it's ready. If they need the extra time to make an exemplary product, they should have it.

Then again, I'm also hoping for a simultaneous release worldwide.

Psxphile

Nice, happy to hear that. Source?

It's from a recent Famitsu Weekly interview. Most of the fansites are reporting about it. Only an excerpt has been translated so far (source):

Series Interview (The people who spun the new gaming generation) The 23rd is Tetsuya Nomura from Square Enix. He joined Square during the time he was helping debug for Final Fantasy IV. Kingdom Hearts 2.5′s recording has concluded, and he has been thinking of further scenarios for Kingdom Hearts χ[chi]. He’s also been raising a Scottish Fold Blue Tabby.

Top Bottom