• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kingdom Hearts Community Thread: Now everybody can be a Keyblade Wielder!

It's from a recent Famitsu Weekly interview. Most of the fansites are reporting about it. Only an excerpt has been translated so far (source):

Nice. Thank you. I hope that's true for the US version also.

Still very, very curious to see what ends up being done with the Mirage Arena stuff in BBSFM HD. I hope we hear more very soon, once FFX HD has gotten its NA release.

Malyse

Nice. Thank you. I hope that's true for the US version also.

Still very, very curious to see what ends up being done with the Mirage Arena stuff in BBSFM HD. I hope we hear more very soon, once FFX HD has gotten its NA release.

What everyone should be excited about is the new scenarios for [chi]. That game is getting fucking cray, what with killing off characters and having people fall to the darkness and stuff.

What everyone should be excited about is the new scenarios for [chi]. That game is getting fucking cray, what with killing off characters and having people fall to the darkness and stuff.

Yeah, I think it's really surprising (and interesting) how involved that has gotten. What's the link to your blog about it again, if you don't mind?

Malyse

Yeah, I think it's really surprising (and interesting) how involved that has gotten. What's the link to your blog about it again, if you don't mind?

If you can stand waiting, I'm going to rewrite the whole thing soon as the mechanics have been refined enough since that writing to warrant a redo.

Malyse

Suppose Nomura finally pulls the trigger and starts hooking people up. Who goes with who?

My List
  • Roxas × Naminé
    peaceful_night_by_virtuousnamine-d5380gr.png
  • Riku × Xion
    riku_xion_skyscraper_2_by_xaadm-d6tyl03.png
  • Terra × Aqua
    aqua_terra_by_terra7-d2zcujp.jpg
  • Lea × Relena (or Arlene)
    larxel-o.gif
  • Ventus × Kairi
    b27b4758d4c11c2dd27ed96ca3e11a66-d51a4y5.jpg
First ones are pretty self explanatory, so let's get into those last two.

Lea × Relena (AKA Larxene's entelechy).
First let's take a look at this passage from the KH Novels:

The meeting’s oppressive atmosphere always makes me tired.

Axel rolled his neck slowly in the castle lobby.

Sitting like that for so long dulls the muscles.

“Hey, Redhead over there!”

Axel turned at the sound of the voice, scratching his head.

“What, Larxene. I’m Axel. Got it memorised?”

“I can’t just remember over ten names all of a sudden, can I?”

“Yeah, I guess not.”

Axel watched as Larxene ran up to him.

“How is it? Does the coat suit me?”

Larxene did a twirl in front of him. The coat always changed to fit the wearer. It was a perfect tight fit, as expected.

“It’s fine, I guess.”

I don’t get it. Why is she here talking to me?

“You want something?”

“You mean I can’t talk to you unless I want something?”

“I didn’t mean that, but it’s—” a hassle. But if I say that, it looks like she’ll make it even more of a hassle. Axel shut his mouth. “Why are you talking to me? There are heaps of other people to talk to.”

“I don’t want to talk to rough old men,” Larxene clearly intoned.

“If that’s so—there’s Demyx, or Marluxia, who joined just before you did. And then there’s Zexion. There’s also Saïx, in a way—”

“What, are you unhappy talking to me?” Larxene said, domineeringly.

“Whatever—not unhappy, not anything.”

“Hmph. ‘Whatever’ doesn’t mean anything. I only spoke to you because you walked in front of me.”

But just now, she was saying she didn’t want to talk to rough old men—

Axel looked at Larxene in amazement. But, Larxene didn’t seem to care one bit.

“This place is quiet, isn’t it.”

“Well, it’s because nothing lives here except nobodies.”

“Sounds dull.”

“Yeah, but it’s not,” said Axel, not telling her that he himself also felt that this place was dull.

“Well, fine. Later.” Larxene drew her hood up and started walking briskly away. She was a capricious, domineering woman.

Axel stared after Larxene’s back in amazement, then shrugged.

(tsundere! It's a tsunder-)
Cough.

Let's look at another passage too.

“Hey, Marluxia.”

At the call from behind, Marluxia stopped walking. A woman’s voice—in this castle, there was only one woman. Marluxia turned around.

“What do you want, Larxene,” he directed at the golden-haired, tough-minded looking woman.

Larxene. At this point in time, she’s the only nobody to have joined the organisation later than me.

“I wanna ask you something. How did you come here?”

“Not particularly different to you.”

“Hmph.” Larxene brooded for a while on whether or not that answer satisfied her. “We aren’t doing much, these days. This place is boring, isn’t it?”

Larxene’s words brought an abrupt sense of affinity, for there was a nobody who was thinking the same thing as him. “Well, one of these days we’ll be able to go out on missions. Now is the time for reserving power.”

“Missions… speaking of that, don’t you find what we’re actually doing pretty unclear?” Larxene asked, and then stood next to Marluxia.

“In order to take back our hearts,” said Marluxia, repeating Xemnas’ exact words.

Larxene cast her eyes down for a moment. “But I don’t really want or need a heart. It’s painful with a heart. Right now I’m pretty comfortable,” she muttered.

“Maybe that’s true,” answered Marluxia, and started walking shoulder-to-shoulder with Larxene.

So in one passage we see Larxene quite obviously flirting with Axel and in the second we see that she's been hurt in the past, such that she feels it would be better to not have a heart at all. As we know, Lea is a pretty nice guy. I mean as Axel, he was willing to murder Sora to get Roxas back. I think that he's just the type of person to help Relena (yeah, I'm going with that for now) break out of her shell.

(oh and before you start a debate of canon, these operate under the Star Wars expanded universe rules: unless it directly contradicts something in game, consider it as canon. The writer has worked as a story consultant in the series after all)

Ventus × Kairi

First off, from the end of 3D, it would appear that Ventus hasn't aged, meaning that he's at or around the same age as the main trio. From KH2 and Roxas, we know both that being inside of someone doesn't mean you can't observe what's happening around them or effect their emotions, as the crying about parting with Hayner and co. will attest. Also Ven has been inside of Sora for the entirety of the time that Sora has known Kairi. So who can say for certain that the affections that Sora has for Kairi aren't actually Ven's? Plus, by doing this, we can Peter Parker Sora and have him gain the affections of numerous female characters in the future. And this is just my personal preference, but I would love for the next main villain to be a girl who Sora falls in love with before we finds out she's evil. Sort of a reverse KOTOR.

Will that happen? No, of course not.
But could it? Yes. Yes, it could.

Daft_Cat

Isn't Roxas
just Ventus sans memories
?

He was placed into Sora, meaning Sora had two souls. When he became a heartless, Ventus was expelled...but had no memories. Hence he became Roxas.

Haven't played the 3D since it came out so memory's hazy, but if that's not the way it is, then it should be.

Malyse

Isn't Roxas
?

He was placed into Sora, meaning Sora had two souls. When he became a heartless, Ventus was expelled...but had no memories. Hence he became Roxas.

Haven't played the 3D since it came out so memory's hazy, but if that's not the way it is, then it should be.

No. Ven and Roxas are their own people.

Isn't Roxas
?

Kinda true except that Roxas started growing his own heart, which makes things more complicated.
Someone please save Kingdom Hearts.
For real.

Daft_Cat

At the end of BBS it's pretty clear that they aren't the same person.

How so? I'd say the opposite is implied. Ven literally joins with Sora. An identical version of him (albeit with no memories) emerges from Sora 14 years later.

Sora became a heartless but was able to maintain his sentience. That's how he was able to seek out Kairi and save himself. Again, memory's a bit hazy on the details.

I assumed he was able to maintain his identity because he had two souls, and only lost one when he became a heartless. The "soul" he lost belonged to Ventus. Further proof? Roxas and Ventus are identical characters. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Caladrius

How so? I'd say the opposite is implied. Ven literally joins with Sora. An identical version of him (albeit with no memories) emerges from Sora 14 years later.

Sora became a heartless but was able to maintain his sentience. That's how he was able to seek out Kairi and save himself. Again, memory's a bit hazy on the details.

I assumed he was able to maintain his identity because he had two souls, and only lost one when he became a heartless. The "soul" he lost belonged to Ventus. Further proof? Roxas and Ventus are identical characters. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

In 3D (ending spoilers)
they manifest as separate entities in Sora's Heart.

aravuus

I hope nobody gets hooked up, or maybe Sora and Kairi at most. I'm usually all in for romance but I don't know, it would feel weird in KH.

Caladrius

I hope nobody gets hooked up, or maybe Sora and Kairi at most. I'm usually all in for romance but I don't know, it would feel weird in KH.

Well about half of the possible pairings are either some aspect of another person or some flavor of metaphysical or literal incest (assuming we treat TAV as surrogate siblings).

Malyse

im pretty sure axel and roxas are gay

T__T

Xion’s existence explains a lot of things about Axel’s interaction with Roxas at the beginning of Kingdom Hearts II. His complete obsession with Roxas wasn’t because they were really close or gay, but rather because Axel was remembering his friendship with two people squeezed into one.

Psxphile

Someone please save Kingdom Hearts.
sa23YBF.jpg

What would you like to talk about then?

Let's talk about how Nomura and co. fucked everything up by introducing one of the most convoluted forms of time travel in media today. Even Kojima can't top that shit.

We almost had it. We almost had a handle on the entire saga, things were finally starting to come together and click... and then BAM we Quantum Leap now. Or reverse leap...?... whatever.

I got another topic: Naminé. Considering her unique powers, it's strange Xemnas never saw fit to induct her into the Org. Granted, she seems pretty frail... but the ability to mind-wipe anybody connected to Sora shouldn't be underestimated. Maybe the biggest obstacle was that she was aware of herself and not a vegetable ala Roxas. She'd never join them willingly. Or would she? She *did* say she didn't want to be alone...

Not to mention, as a Nobody of a keyblade wielder she should be able to use one, right? But nope, she's the damsel in distress like her mommy and has to spend a year fixing Sora's shit.

And so we got the mess that was Xion. We can't even be sure she has lady parts under that robe. ::cry::

Malyse

Lets take this in pieces.

Let's talk about how Nomura and co. fucked everything up by introducing one of the most convoluted forms of time travel in media today. Even Kojima can't top that shit.

Opinion. It's really not that complicated. You can travel forward in time, but only to a place where your future self already exists.

I got another topic: Naminé. Considering her unique powers, it's strange Xemnas never saw fit to induct her into the Org. Granted, she seems pretty frail... but the ability to mind-wipe anybody connected to Sora shouldn't be underestimated. Maybe the biggest obstacle was that she was aware of herself and not a vegetable ala Roxas. She'd never join them willingly. Or would she? She *did* say she didn't want to be alone...

Two things: a. Naminé can't mind wipe people. She can only manipulate people's memories of Sora specifically. For example, you'll still remember talking about the game last night to someone, but you won't remember that it was Sora. B. Naminé barely exists. At the end of KH2 before joining with Kairi, she was literally fading out of existence. When she said she was Kairi's shadow, that wasn't hyperbole. She could disappear at a moments notice.

Not to mention, as a Nobody of a keyblade wielder she should be able to use one, right? But nope, she's the damsel in distress like her mommy and has to spend a year fixing Sora's shit.

It seems your conflating Kairi's ability to wield to Naminé. Again, Naminé doesn't have much power of existence. Furthermore, she's not really Kairi's nobody, because Kairi can't make a nobody. No darkness. She's actually a part of Sora's body and darkness with a small portion of Kairi's will. Small. Not nearly enough to warrant the strength of heart for a keyblade.

And so we got the mess that was Xion. We can't even be sure she has lady parts under that robe. ::cry::

Xion is a girl. She reverts back at her death.

aravuus

Counterpoint: this is disney.

Very true. Guess we'll see.

In other news, I decided to say "fuck it" and started playing BBS again. I was going to wait for 2.5HD but I dunno, when I heard the good old songs again play in the beginning video and main menu, I can't not try again. Wish me luck yo, maybe I'll get to the end this time. Probably not thanks to Titanfall but eh.

I'll be curious to see what ends up happening to Naminé in KH3 though, for sure. I strongly suspect that Kairi's dual identity as a keyblade wielder and as a Princess of Heart will be an important plot point in KH3, and that increases the odds that Naminé will get involved too.

Malyse

Very true. Guess we'll see.

In other news, I decided to say "fuck it" and started playing BBS again. I was going to wait for 2.5HD but I dunno, when I heard the good old songs again play in the beginning video and main menu, I can't not try again. Wish me luck yo, maybe I'll get to the end this time. Probably not thanks to Titanfall but eh.

Well worth it.

Really curious to see how KH3 takes influence from the Command Deck system. It's given so much more flexibility to combat (and provided a fantastic template for making each character play somewhat differently), but I totally understand why it's a problem in some ways for combat (at least if there's BBS's Command Melding involved - DDD tried to do without it but the skill progression feels like utter crap without it).

But I kind of understand why DDD tried to go ahead without command melding (even if its solution was godawful).

The fact remains that as soon as you get the Fire command in BBS, you can build Firaga for yourself (and as soon as you get Cure you can build Curaga, and so on). It's really easy to power yourself up in the early parts of the game well beyond what Sora was capable of in KH1 or KH2 with their power-gating via abilities acquired through story progress.

Granted, Fire and Firaga in BBS (to continue with that example) are somewhat balanced against each other by the fact that Fire has a faster recharge, but that fundamental problem remains.

I'll be super curious to see how this stuff ends up going, because KH1/KH2 versus Re:CoM/BBS/DDD are two *very* different combat lineages, and yet this is a follow up to the first lineage by the team behind the second lineage. The combat and progression system (and narrative) design choices that the Osaka team makes will be fascinating.

Malyse

Really curious to see how KH3 takes influence from the Command Deck system. It's given so much more flexibility to combat (and provided a fantastic template for making each character play somewhat differently), but I totally understand why it's a problem in some ways for combat (at least if there's BBS's Command Melding involved - DDD tried to do without it but the skill progression feels like utter crap without it).

But I kind of understand why DDD tried to go ahead without command melding (even if its solution was godawful).

The fact remains that as soon as you get the Fire command in BBS, you can build Firaga for yourself (and as soon as you get Cure you can build Curaga, and so on). It's really easy to power yourself up in the early parts of the game well beyond what Sora was capable of in KH1 or KH2 with their power-gating via abilities acquired through story progress.

Granted, Fire and Firaga in BBS (to continue with that example) are somewhat balanced against each other by the fact that Fire has a faster recharge, but that fundamental problem remains.

I'll be super curious to see how this stuff ends up going, because KH1/KH2 versus Re:CoM/BBS/DDD are two *very* different combat lineages, and yet this is a follow up to the first lineage by the team behind the second lineage. The combat and progression system (and narrative) design choices that the Osaka team makes will be fascinating.

Considering the last three games in the series have used the command deck iteratively, I would be shocked if 3 didn't have it in some form. It's a better system by far.

aravuus

I highly preferred KH1 and 2's battle system to that of DDD, so we'll see if BBS will finally make me change my mind about the command deck

Malyse

I highly preferred KH1 and 2's battle system to that of DDD, so we'll see if BBS will finally make me change my mind about the command deck

TBH, I found the combat in KH1 and 2 to be lazy, 2 in particular.

Step 1: get them in the air.
Step 2: Win.

Outside of the limit cuts and LS, I didn't change tactics at all. It was very much × to win until you Δ. BBS and 3D required a lot more planning IMO.

aravuus

I don't exactly disagree, it was very simple. On standard difficulty, you rarely even needed spells or items, you just spam x.

But I still enjoyed it more, lol. Although, it's very possible it was due to the 3DS just not being that comfortable in my opinion, especially for an action-oriented game like DDD. It probably would have been a lot more fun with a real controller.

Psxphile

Opinion. It's really not that complicated. You can travel forward in time, but only to a place where your future self already exists.
Only forward? How does that explain Ansem SoD in Young Xehanort's era? Poor choice of words? Did you mean backwards?

And I don't just mean the method of time travel, but also everything tied to it:

-only beings with no bodies can do it (then how does YX?)
-the whole "you can only go in one direction" and "there already has to be a you in that era" stipulations (hence, Quantum Leap: you can only travel in between your birth and your death on the timeline)
-once you've arrived at the time you wished, only the normal flow of time can propel you forward (which kinda makes sense, but then YX stops at multiple points to pick up Xehanorts on the timeline... he must be time-traveling, since he doesn't age)
-losing your memories after returning to your own era and the fact that you actually can't alter the course of events (then what's the point? and what's actually stopping you from altering timelines?).
-is there a time limit in place? Why do the 13 darknesses revert back to their own time after failing to capture Sora?

Hell, apparently Sora and Riku both did it too at the very beginning of 3D, Xigbar says it's essentially the same thing. Are they body-less? Or... am I supposed to infer that if you ever lost your body in one way or the other, any part of you past, present or future is capable of time travel? That's some bullshit if so and breaks pretty much everything.

Two things: a. Naminé can't mind wipe people. She can only manipulate people's memories of Sora specifically. For example, you'll still remember talking about the game last night to someone, but you won't remember that it was Sora.
What'd she do to Riku-Replica?

B. Naminé barely exists. At the end of KH2 before joining with Kairi, she was literally fading out of existence. When she said she was Kairi's shadow, that wasn't hyperbole. She could disappear at a moments notice.
Hm. This makes sense, considering what DiZ has to say about her in the Secret Ansem Reports. What a shitty life, no wonder she was so depressed.

It seems your conflating Kairi's ability to wield to Naminé.
Basically, my thought process was: if Roxas can wield, then so can she. Furthermore, having some part of her coming from Sora should make it even more likely.

I don't care if I'm wrong, I just want to suss out what's the most likely answer.

Furthermore, she's not really Kairi's nobody
DiZ thinks she is. Are you calling DiZ a liar? I'll fight you.

Xion is a girl.
About as much as a Barbie doll is "a girl", I reckon. Larxene would agree with me on this. She's just a toy.

Caladrius

The most realistic option is a copy-paste of 2's system + attraction flow.

The option I'd like to see is 2's system with a far superior magic+skill selection alongside a more intricate combo system. Magic would be made through a more streamlined version of command meld and the combo system would make use of the X and triangle buttons, with blocking being able to transition into a parry and the square button being a usable button in midair (though it would only work as an attack in mid-combo, otherwise it would initiate superglide.)

Kingdom Hearts 2 on critical had a nice defensive element and demanded knowledge of the options and nuances to Sora's moveset, and I hope III will take that further by making changes more conducive to strategizing and customization.

Malyse

Only forward? How does that explain Ansem SoD in Young Xehanort's era? Poor choice of words? Did you mean backwards?

And I don't just mean the method of time travel, but also everything tied to it:

-only beings with no bodies can do it (then how does YX?)
-the whole "you can only go in one direction" and "there already has to be a you in that era" stipulations (hence, Quantum Leap: you can only travel in between your birth and your death on the timeline)
-once you've arrived at the time you wished, only the normal flow of time can propel you forward (which kinda makes sense, but then YX stops at multiple points to pick up Xehanorts on the timeline... he must be time-traveling, since he doesn't age)
-losing your memories after returning to your own era and the fact that you actually can't alter the course of events (then what's the point? and what's actually stopping you from altering timelines?).
-is there a time limit in place? Why do the 13 darknesses revert back to their own time after failing to capture Sora?

Hell, apparently Sora and Riku both did it too at the very beginning of 3D, Xigbar says it's essentially the same thing. Are they body-less? Or... am I supposed to infer that if you ever lost your body in one way or the other, any part of you past, present or future is capable of time travel? That's some bullshit if so and breaks pretty much everything.

Come now. A lot of KH3 will be hashing out the details of this.

What'd she do to Riku-Replica?

Repliku's not a "people".

Basically, my thought process was: if Roxas can wield, then so can she. Furthermore, having some part of her coming from Sora should make it even more likely.

I don't care if I'm wrong, I just want to suss out what's the most likely answer.

I think that there just isn't enough of her there to draw out that kind of power.

DiZ thinks she is. Are you calling DiZ a liar? I'll fight you.

That is, Naminé is an alter ego of the Kairi who has directly interfered with Sora's heart. Could this be why Sora and those hearts are connected to him were able to have their memories controlled?
She is a "non-being" in the truest sense of the word; having not even become a Nobody and with nowhere left to go, she is but the most fleeting of shadows.

Actually DiZ doesn't think so.

About as much as a Barbie doll is "a girl", I reckon. Larxene would agree with me on this. She's just a toy.

She's an independent existence. That's why she was able to manifest in Sora's heart. Namine, Xion and Roxas are all coming back.

Zalman

How important is KH3D? I'm a new KH fan who got into the series with the HD collection, and since 3D is the only title that won't be covered in some form in the HD collections I was wondering how necessary it is to play.

Malyse

How important is KH3D? I'm a new KH fan who got into the series with the HD collection, and since 3D is the only title that won't be covered in some form in the HD collections I was wondering how necessary it is to play.

It quite literally changed everything we thought we knew about our enemy.

Caladrius

It sets up the entire conflict for Kingdom Hearts 3.

It connects the main titles and our handheld titles and gives us the upcoming plot for KH3

Top Bottom