• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kingdom Hearts HD II.5 ReMIX |OT| Press to pay respects

Weiss

Banned
I just realized there's only two final boss fights in the entire series to actually have Disney characters present at the end; KH1 and CoM.

Shahadan

-- Roxas was able to use a Keyblade. In contrast Xemnas, wasn't able to use a Keyblade. Why is this?

Nomura: I'd rather that point remain a mystery. It's possible that he intentionally wasn't using one.

Lol.
It's totally not because the whole plot of KH2 would fall apart I swear!

The Lamp

Lol.
It's totally not because the whole plot of KH2 would fall apart I swear!

He totally wrote himself into a corner with that one. If he wanted to explain it, he'd have to invent some crazy unpredictable bullshit plot device for it to even be plausible.

Weiss

Banned
How would a Nobody even use a keyblade? Don't they need a strong heart to be able to wield one?

Well, I guess you could say that
Xemnas was suppressing his Nobody-born heart in order to better prepare himself as a vessel for Xehanort, and this made it impossible for him to use a Keyblade.

The Lamp

Well, I guess you could say that
Xemnas was suppressing his Nobody-born heart in order to better prepare himself as a vessel for Xehanort, and this made it impossible for him to use a Keyblade.

Wait what?
How can a nobody suppress their heart? I thought the heart is now a heartless and the nobody has no influence over it?

Weiss

Banned
Wait what?
How can a nobody suppress their heart? I thought the heart is now a heartless and the nobody has no influence over it?

In KH3D
it's revealed that Nobodies eventually grow hearts of their own, given enough time. Xemnas duped the rest of the Organization in order to prepare them as vessels for Xehanort.

The Lamp

In KH3D
it's revealed that Nobodies eventually grow hearts of their own, given enough time. Xemnas duped the rest of the Organization in order to prepare them as vessels for Xehanort.

Holy shit.
So Xemnas has grown one but the rest of the organization had not? I thought they were all kinda born around the same time.

In KH3D

I laughed so hard at how ridiculous this sounds. I can swallow a lot from KH lore, but this shit is something else.

Falk

that puzzling face
So long-term nobodies can split into a nobody-heartless and a nobody-nobody, right? KH4 enemies confirmed Square Enix hire me

Shahadan

I laughed so hard at how ridiculous this sounds. I can swallow a lot from KH lore, but this shit is something else.

To be honest I find it's one of the least stupid and nonsensical things they added recently. It's also a better explanation for everything that didn't work with the whole Nobody stuff from KH2.

Caladrius

Not really, when you consider
that nobodies are as expressive as they are. Something emotionless wouldn't react in fear to their own death like Zexion and Larxene did.

KingClown

Welp, I just finished up the 1.5 Remix a few days ago and had a lot of fun revisiting the first game. At first I had gone through the game debating whether or not I should take the time to synthesize the Ultima Weapon and after trying to fight those damn Sniper Wilds, I decided I didn't want to go through the hassle. So I went on ahead and beat the game without it. It didn't feel right to move on to the next game without doing that or the optional bosses though, so I decided to try my luck with getting the materials from the Sniper Wilds one last time, and before I knew it I had 5 Power Stones. So I decided to just go full speed ahead and gather the rest of the synthesis materials needed. It ended up not being as big of a hassle as I anticipated, as I got the annoying ones out of the way first, and I already had a lot of the regular materials already. Long story short, I made the Ultima Weapon (along with Donald and Goofy's Weapons) and beat all the optional bosses, which weren't as hard as I feared either (granted I played on standard difficulty). They were lots of fun though, especially Sephiroth and Unknown

I wasn't really that interested in the mechanics of Re:Chain of Memories, but decided to at least give it a chance as I had never played it before. I got about 2 hours in before putting it down and just watching the cutscenes on youtube. I just couldn't get into the gameplay personally, though I can understand why some might enjoy it. Afterwards I went ahead and watched 358/2 Days before starting KH2, considering how I had played the original already, and it was a fun watch. I may try playing it sometime though as I do have the game.

And now I finally got to start up KH2FM and I'm super happy to play it again. I was initially going to either play it on standard or proud depending on how I felt like I did in KHFM. After finding it to be easier than I thought on standard and hearing everyone's thoughts on it here, I've decided to just dive right into Critical instead, wanted dat 50 AP and extra abilities right at the start. I've beat the Prologue and just got the Gummi Ship and I'm not having too many problems so far. Haven't died yet, so that's always good I suppose! I haven't really gotten to the meat of the game yet but I'm having fun so far! it's good to play some Kingdom Hearts again, as I haven't really played any since KH2 first came out. Can't wait to play BBSFM and DDD as well since I haven't gotten around to those yet, though I may wait for the inevitable release of DDD HD for that one.

And hoo boy the Kingdom Hearts storyline is an absolute clusterfuck.
I love it though.

I don't take too much issue with any of the Nobody lore business except the grade A bullshit ''they don't exist'' reasoning. Cause it makes absolutely no sense.

Yen Sid being totally senile is canon at this point.

The Lamp

I don't take too much issue with any of the Nobody lore business except the grade A bullshit ''they don't exist'' reasoning. Cause it makes absolutely no sense.

I think they just say that to mean they shouldn't exist. They're a shell with no heart, so they're not really alive. They're an illusion of what once was. I think it's not meant to be taken literally.

I think they just say that to mean they shouldn't exist. They're a shell with no heart, so they're not really alive.

That's the only way it makes any sense but it's really grating since they use that way of describing them too. But when Yen Sid says something like ''You see, Nobodies do not truly exist at all.'' It's just KH technobabble of the worst kind.

Like, I ''know'' they most likely mean it that way but that kind of dialogue is really dumb.

Mailbox

my understanding is that it was a metaphorical "non-existence". Since they are what is left over and yet still have life without being either light or dark they fall under nothing. Riku (as his statement in 358/2 days says metaphorically that he might be the biggest nobody of them all) might as well be the opposite as he is both light and dark and thus walks the road of dawn, rather than being a nothing.

Seemingly No heart, no light, no darkness, thus they belong to nothing, and thus are nothing.

Its kinda mental tomfoolery, but whatever

Weiss

Banned
that nobodies are as expressive as they are. Something emotionless wouldn't react in fear to their own death like Zexion and Larxene did.

Yeah, of all the new infodumps, Nobodies being able to eventually feel emotion is one I'm cool with. Roxas and Axel definitely felt stuff, and "you're a horrible abomination who has no right to exist" is a little too cynical for a disney game.

KingClown

Yeah I see what you mean here, but
a part of me wishes they stuck with the idea that Nobodies actually don't have hearts and that they were expressive because they were either pretending to have emotions as Yen Sid described or, as Saix put it, they "remember" what it's like to have emotions. It was a really cool concept in my eyes that they could seem to express all kinds of emotions like happiness, sadness, or anger but that those would ring hollow in a way. It probably works out for the better in the big picture this way though

Yeah that's definitely nonsense, though the wording certainly sounds cool to me haha. I always took it as they're not "supposed" to exist myself.

edit: heh, already beaten I see. I need to get faster at this, haha!

Caladrius

Yeah, of all the new infodumps, Nobodies being able to eventually feel emotion is one I'm cool with. Roxas and Axel definitely felt stuff, and "you're a horrible abomination who has no right to exist" is a little too cynical for a disney game.

That scene with Axel gave away the twist for me, honestly. Sora's/Roxas's friendship guff only goes so far.

Yeah I see what you mean here, but
a part of me wishes they stuck with the idea that Nobodies actually don't have hearts and that they were expressive because they were either prentending to have emotions as Yen Sid described or, as Saix put it, they "remember" what it's like to have emotions. It was a really cool concept in my eyes that they could seem to express all kinds of emotions like happiness, sadness, or anger but that those would ring hollow in a way. It probably works out for the better in the big picture this way though

I agree that going through with the idea would have been interesting, but I'm doubtful the writing team would be able to tackle it with the kind of subtlety that it would require.

Weiss

Banned
Having now beaten the game, I am left with the hilarious mental image of
Aqua passing by the Dark Meridian right after Sora and Riku open a door and return home.

KingClown

That scene with Axel gave away the twist for me, honestly. Sora's/Roxas's friendship guff only goes so far.

I agree that going through with the idea would have been interesting, but I'm doubtful the writing team would be able to tackle it with the kind of subtlety that it would require.
Definitely, not to mention that it would certainly be tough to act for that kind of thing as well.

sappyday

I always thought Roxas wasn't like the other nobodies but meh I don't know enough about the KH story.

Well Roxas is able to use it because he had Ventus' heart inside of him. When Sora became a heartless he released his heart and Ventus'. For some reason Ventus' heart went inside of Roxas instead of becoming a heartless.

Weiss

Banned
So watching the secret teaser for BBS shown at the end of KH2 (the one featuring the trio with dual keyblades), I'm totally not the only person who thinks BBS was originally going to be Kingdom Hearts 3, am I? It blatantly shows them picking up what are clearly Sora, Riku, and Mickey's Keyblades.

So watching the secret teaser for BBS shown at the end of KH2 (the one featuring the trio with dual keyblades), I'm totally not the only person who thinks BBS was originally going to be Kingdom Hearts 3, am I? It blatantly shows them picking up what are clearly Sora, Riku, and Mickey's Keyblades.

The George RR Martin the Japanese citizens can be proud of.

KingClown

Nope, I was right there with ya.

Psxphile

It's symbolism!

We really had no reason to believe that the Kingdom Hearts franchise would go through multiple handheld (and mobile) iterations before coming back to consoles at that point. Chain of Memories was supposed to be an exception, not the rule. By all accounts it *should* have been a PS2 title, the Snake Eater of the series before the jump to the next console generation.

But well, Square-Enix...

sappyday

Snake Eater came out in 04. KH2 came out in 06. If there was gonna be a KH3 in development then it probably would of came out in 08/09 on PS3. Of course, a few months after KH2's release Versus XIII was announced.

Kain

I think Xemnas is the most interesting villain of the series so far. While Ansem SoD and Master Xehanort are all

"Hurrrr Durrrr I'm bad and do bad things" (well MX is more like a scientist with no ethics, he just want to see what happens if whatever), Xemnas is more like a revolutionary. I know the plot is being created on the go, but after playing DDD it looks like in II he was trying to free himself of MX's control and had no interest whatsoever in his resurrection plan.

Of course DDD retconned everything, but I like to think that way.

I'm seeing Xemnas as an anti-heroe in III, Axel style. You've read it here first!

On another note, fuck Atlantica in II. Fuck the songs, fuck stupid Ariel and fuck Blizzaga. I actually liked Atlantica in the original KH :(

Captcha

PSA: playing ice cream beat while drunk is a lesson in humility (I hate Disney Town).

The BGM of most of these worlds is so very bad in BBS, but then you fight Vanitas or something and it instantly redeems itself.

Shahadan

Xemnas' lines in KH2 and at the end make no sense whatsoever with the retcon from DDD. I'm assuming that officially he and Ansem from KH1 were on board with MX's plan, but it would have made more sense if they didn't remember that shit and were doing their own things. Would have solved a lot of plotholes.

LAA

Ah thats something I was wondering about thinking about it.
I guess those keyblades were symbolism for something, but I don't know what. Was it simply to say they were all main characters? Terra didn't even pick up Riku's keyblade, which would have made sense considering he gets corrupted by darkness, similar to Riku.

Falk

that puzzling face
Terra is == Riku in so many ways. Bequeaths his power directly to Riku, has the same dark/light internal conflict. Heck, Riku even ends up looking like him for a while (ansem SoD lol)

Kain

I have to agree with GAF, Stitch is the GOAT. I just rushed the billion nobodies fights at the end of COR with him, didn't even have to heal once.

All the other summons are useless now.

Falk

that puzzling face
Xemnas voice cracks me the fuck up every time he speaks.

CURSED KEEEEYBLAAAAADE

image.php

Famassu

No, it was never meant to be KHIII. Around KHII's original release Nomura told how he thought there were some stuff that he felt needed to be told before moving on to Kingdom Hearts III and Birth By Sleep was always supposed to be one of them as a game that explains some of the past stuff & and introduces the OG villain Master Xehanort

And of course the keyblades just symbolize the connections Terra, Ven & Aqua would end up having with the "current" owners of those keyblades.

Top Bottom