• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kingdom Hearts Unchained |OT| - It's not an X - [UP] Worldwide Release

creid

CwOH_0DUkAA31YC.png

JP's new mechanic "Burst" is interesting. It's a once-per-quest "limit break" type attack whose strength is drawn from how many guilted medals you have. Medals w/ guilt are worth 1 level, medals w/ MAX guilt are worth 2 levels. So now even Tier 1 Guilt medals have a purpose. And to think I was going to start selling some of them off to make room.
Drawn from how many guilted medals you have on your current keyblade, or how many you own? Unless the burst is really strong, I wouldn't think it's worth taking your weaker guilted medals over your stronger non-guilted ones, no?

Psxphile

Drawn from how many guilted medals you have on your current keyblade, or how many you own? Unless the burst is really strong, I wouldn't think it's worth taking your weaker guilted medals over your stronger non-guilted ones, no?

Shit, you're right. It would make sense for them to set a limit to the attack by how many you can equip. However that detail wasn't revealed when they released the preliminary info, only that the Burst level is raised in accordance to the number of guilted medals you have. They *did* say more detailed info would be released after JP's maintenance period ends, which should hopefully clarify.

All the (current) relevant info on the new 1.4.0 update can be read here.

in particular:

-Quest and Battle Changes-

If you end a battle close to a warp point, you will not automatically move to the next map
Max damage that can be inflicted by Poison is set to 40,000 points
Adjusted statuses (Poison, Paralyze, Sleep) of high level enemies due to difficulty concerns
Modified processing to calculate ability damage

-Other-

Changed app icon
If Second Chance activates when an enemy inflicts a preemptive strike, a victorious battle will reflect a 1 turn finish even if it technically took 2 or more turns
Minor bug fixes
They're setting a hard limit to how much damage Poison status can inflict on enemies, which will suck as more enemies w/ High HP totals appear. Though they're off-setting that by apparently making it easier to inflict status conditions on stronger monsters.

If Second Chance activates when an enemy inflicts a preemptive strike, a victorious battle will reflect a 1 turn finish even if it technically took 2 or more turns
Okay I'm confused on this. I presume it means that pre-update, dying and then Second Chance-ing to a preemptive strike would make your first turn actually count as your "second" turn, but why would this apply to battles where you took more than 2 turns?

EDIT: Oh, I read the original Japanese, and this is what it is: it used to be that if you Second Chance-d after dying on a preemptive strike, and then won, it'd count as a 1-turn triumph no matter how many turns you actually took, but the new update has fixed it so that doesn't happen anymore.

creid

Shit, you're right. It would make sense for them to set a limit to the attack by how many you can equip. However that detail wasn't revealed when they released the preliminary info, only that the Burst level is raised in accordance to the number of guilted medals you have. They *did* say more detailed info would be released after JP's maintenance period ends, which should hopefully clarify.

All the (current) relevant info on the new 1.4.0 update can be read here.
Reading the KHI article it sounds like burst level is just a new stat on every medal, which is higher when guilted or max guilted.

Psxphile

As originally suspected, Burst Level is tied how many guilted medals you have overall, and not just slotted on your keyblade.

And corrections: medal w/ guild adds one to your Burst Level, but a medal w/ guilt maxed adds five more, totaling 6 levels for every max guilt.

Also:
5SpPagT.jpg

So basically a free AoE attack that does neutral damage and can be strengthened by hoarding medals.

As originally suspected, Burst Level is tied how many guilted medals you have overall, and not just slotted on your keyblade.

And corrections: medal w/ guild adds one to your Burst Level, but a medal w/ guilt maxed adds five more, totaling 6 levels for every max guilt.

Also:
5SpPagT.jpg

So basically a free AoE attack that does neutral damage and can be strengthened by hoarding medals.

Darn, I should not have sold or fused the farmable medals I collected then. :<

Famassu

Managed to beat Three Wishes #5. It was surprisingly easy after I figured out a good medal setup, except my usually shitty luck of APP not activating EVER during the first 5 tries. -_-

Does anyone know if AB2APP gives out less gauges than a standalone APP?
I have the impression that the amount of damage dealt affects how much of the special gauge is filled. Using RAX w/APP against a red raid boss gives less gauges than using Illustr. Terra w/APP against the same enemy. Also, attacking normally gives less than using a special attack. So I'd imagine that something with ABII and APP will perhaps give even more thanks to the boosted damage.

I have the impression that the amount of damage dealt affects how much of the special gauge is filled. Using RAX w/APP against a red raid boss gives less gauges than using Illustr. Terra w/APP against the same enemy. Also, attacking normally gives less than using a special attack. So I'd imagine that something with ABII and APP will perhaps give even more thanks to the boosted damage.

There are basically two factors that are relevant to determining how much meter you regain:

1) What kind of enemy you're attacking (Gummi Ship mobs give out tons while Soldiers give out far less)
2) How your element compares to the enemy's (so you'll get more from Power enemies if you have APP activate on Jack & Sally)

I don't think actual damage inflicted is relevant.

Psxphile

Enemy debuffs work as well I think, correct?
Yeah, I think so. Same as if it were a Jack or KHII Mickey medal. Except no gauge cost to use and you only get one shot per quest.

Darn, I should not have sold or fused the farmable medals I collected then. :<
I think the album now records if you guilted or max guilted a medal or not, and the burst mechanic may use that as the factor for raising levels instead of what's currently in your inventory. In which case sold medals will still count. Only way to know for sure is to see if your burst level goes down when someone sells/discards a guilted medal.

Also it would seem having duplicate medals w/ guilt in inventory won't raise the Burst level beyond the regular 1 or 6 you would normally get, another thing that points to maybe the album taking precedence.

creid

I've noticed that when I attack higher level enemies I seem to get MUCH more AP via APP, so I don't think it's based on damage dealt.

Tidd

Don't be surprised we may get 3000 jewels in the next few days. I mean Japan got them for 5 million worldwide downloads. Why should they get something that they couldn't do without us?

Famassu

I've noticed that when I attack higher level enemies I seem to get MUCH more AP via APP, so I don't think it's based on damage dealt.
There are basically two factors that are relevant to determining how much meter you regain:

1) What kind of enemy you're attacking (Gummi Ship mobs give out tons while Soldiers give out far less)
2) How your element compares to the enemy's (so you'll get more from Power enemies if you have APP activate on Jack & Sally)

I don't think actual damage inflicted is relevant.
Actually, yeah, I forgot the enemy type/level. High level enemies do give more and some bosses can almost fill up all of your special gauges. That doesn't necessarily mean that damage dealt doesn't matter, though I guess I haven't really noticed getting more gauges as I've gotten stronger. So it's enemy level, enemy attribute relative to the medal using the APP and enemy type.

Lnds500

Don't be surprised we may get 3000 jewels in the next few days. I mean Japan got them for 5 million worldwide downloads. Why should they get something that they couldn't do without us?

I don't think so. They got other stuff but 3000 was a compensation for nearly a day of maintenance.

Falk

that puzzling face
I'll just take M&B at this point. Different power levels into consideration or not I believe we're actually slightly (lol) past the point at which Japan got them.

Tidd

I don't think so. They got other stuff but 3000 was a compensation for nearly a day of maintenance.

No, they got 900 jewels for the maintenance delay.
The 3000 jewels are for 5 million downloads worldwide: https://twitter.com/Daybreak_Town/status/793812360464969728

I'll just take M&B at this point. Different power levels into consideration or not I believe we're actually slightly (lol) past the point at which Japan got them.

Maybe we get M&B for christmas

creid

I started guilting the last of my farmables during the VIP quests last week but got lazy and just 6*'d and 3-pipped them instead. I guess I've got a lot of time before this update hits global though...

CRS

New Avatar Boards:

Power Gem
Attack Boost III
Attack Boost II Max
2500 Gems each

Probably the best avatar boards we've ever had next to the Status Effect+ boards.

Famassu

Sölf;222740199 said:
So I now have to choose if I want to get another shot at iKairi or want to get ATB III?

Why.
ABII Max is probably the more valuable skill. A guaranteed ABII is better in the long run and in most situations than a far less reliable ABIII.

Falk

that puzzling face
ABIIMAX goes well on stuff like green Sephiroth that goes in the 5th slot.

If a stage is going to be RNG enough that you need everything to proc, having the last one be a guarantee saves far more time than the first one being a guarantee.

Ilvocare

New Avatar Boards:

Power Gem
Attack Boost III
Attack Boost II Max
2500 Gems each

Probably the best avatar boards we've ever had next to the Status Effect+ boards.

Rather sadistic, after everyone blew their loads trying to score an iKairi.

not me

I didn't spend any jewels on the whole iKairi fiasco, and I've got about 7k jewels or so lined up. Should I buy these costumes right now or wait and see what the interim deal is for tomorrow?

Famassu

not me

I didn't spend any jewels on the whole iKairi fiasco, and I've got about 7k jewels or so lined up. Should I buy these costumes right now or wait and see what the interim deal is for tomorrow?
Buy one avatar board now (you'll really want at least one ABII Max, especially if you have some mega-nukes with a multitude of uses like Jack Skellington w/a decent guilt) and another one later if there are no worthwhile medal pull offers and you feel that you have some other good medal to give it to.

Brandson

A response someone received on Reddit from support about the SRK notice:

We have checked the announcement regarding the new Epic Medal Carnival and the requirements to obtain the bonus Sora & Riku & Kairi medal. The information has been confirmed as correct as it is posted. To get at least one bonus medal you will need to unlock the Special Attack Bonus percentage on one of the following medals; Illustrated Kairi, Illustrated Riku, or Illustrated Sora. We apologize for any confusion that may have occurred and hope that this information is helpful. Good luck in battle!

As I just posted in-game, If that's the direction they want to take their game, that's up to them. It also means I have now just deleted KHUX. Even though the gameplay is mostly enjoyable, I have no interest in supporting a game that expects its players to pay thousands of dollars for anything.

Any recommendations for a social/multiplayer mobile game without gatcha features? I deleted FFRK a few months ago as well for the same reason. I just installed Civilization Revolution 2 as a stop-gap before I find the next game to move on to.

Lnds500

As I just posted in-game, If that's the direction they want to take their game, that's up to them. It also means I have now just deleted KHUX. Even though the gameplay is mostly enjoyable, I have no interest in supporting a game that expects its players to pay thousands of dollars for anything.

Any recommendations for a social/multiplayer mobile game without gatcha features? I deleted FFRK a few months ago as well for the same reason. I just installed Civilization Revolution 2 as a stop-gap before I find the next game to move on to.

:shocked:

You can sell/trade/give your account to someone else. Lots of good stuff in there to go to waste.

Sad to see you go. :(

creid

The requirement is total bullshit, so I would expect them to catch a lot of shit for it. Hopefully they will eventually recant and make it more available down the line.

Sorry to see you go, 'preciate all your help!

Sad to see you go Brandson, can't say I blame you though. If you change your mind, you're always welcome back.

I actually had a dream last night of pulling Illustrated Kairi. How cruel.

Sölf

Maybe I really should buy another 3k jewels next week. Would be only my second time. The avatar boards are good but I really want another go at iKairi. D:

c-murph

Managed to scrap up another 3,000 jewel for my tenth pull:

9vdJt1A.png

ffeX9x5.png

Got me a shiny new iKairi. But I don't have any skills to put on her... Maybe I can win the Defense III from the Colosseum at the end of the month.

I have 40 jewels left. Time to start saving for the next big medal... Maybe I'll grab one of the avatar boards before they expire. Those III skills are probably going to be necessary.

MiTYH

Did one 10-pull and wound up with Illustrated Cloud. Second Illustrated after Ventus a while back, so that's nice. Also got Green Diasy for healing and Ice Titan, rest weren't anything special (although I got 2 KH Riku, enough to finally guilt him once I get him evolved)

Falk

that puzzling face
Sad to see you go but totally understand. This game does wear its whaling tendencies on its sleeve and it's not particularly subtle.

If someone who spends as much as you do quitting doesn't send a message, I'm not sure what will, heh.

edit: To be honest the whole SRK situation still baffles me, as it's very clearly kompu gacha which is banned in Japan and generally honored by global releases of the same games due to perception, etc.

edit2: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Complete_gacha just realized that link above doesn't say what it actually is.

Lnds500

Sad to see you go but totally understand. This game does wear its whaling tendencies on its sleeve and it's not particularly subtle.

If someone who spends as much as you do quitting doesn't send a message, I'm not sure what will, heh.

edit: To be honest the whole SRK situation still baffles me, as it's very clearly kompu gacha which is banned in Japan and generally honored by global releases of the same games due to perception, etc.

edit2: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Complete_gacha just realized that link above doesn't say what it actually is.

Isn't what is being described here essentially guilting?

In the model, the game displays multiple items for players to randomly draw for a price similar to the Gashapon (or "gacha"), and a player who has obtained all of a designated set of items (or "completed" the set) can combine them to form a rarer item.

Falk

that puzzling face
Guilting would be acquiring multiples of a single unit, which is still a very common practice in the majority of gacha games - whether acquiring multiple of a SSR summon in Granblue, to combining a 5* to 5*+++ in RK, etc.

It's also mechanically slightly different, in that firstly, rate-up banners typically would allow you to get multiples of a select few items, and secondly, outside of that you can do this over a long period of time.

Kompu gacha practices that are frowned upon are basically gaining a few different gacha rewards, and the need to do it now. Which is essentially what the SRK ultimate prize is.

I mean, yeah, in the end it's all basically gambling when you boil it down to its essence. The 2012 ruling in Japan (unfortunately) had more to do with 'okay, this crosses the line' than a fundamental 'okay, well, the entire practice is dumb to begin with'. There's quite a difference between whether something is legal, and whether something is morally right.

creid

The requirements for SRK are ridiculous, as if whoever's in charge of KHUX global doesn't *know* that global premiums don't come with pips.

Isn't what is being described here essentially guilting?
Kind of, but not really. From what I remember, in Japan lots of games used to have (for example) a set of 5 medals that you could combine to get 1 super medal. The drop rate on 4 of the medals was 10%, but the drop rate on the last one was .000001%. People would drop a lot of money thinking "oh I'm almost there, I only need that last one!" but had no way of knowing that the odds were stacked way against them.

Guilting is different because you're getting the same drop rate for the medal each time you get it, it's not like they can suddenly reduce the drop rate when you only need 1 more to guilt.

c-murph

But Americans luv their gambling. They have a whole city built on it.

Brandson

My departure won't register with SE. They have consistently shown that they don't consider the opinions of individual gamers outside Japan with all of their online games, dating back at least to FFXI. They would only care if 10k+ players left. Even then, the message as to why people left probably wouldn't make it to the actual developers.

Here, the existence of a $4000 iap completely turns me off. I don't care what the iap is. That a game company would try to exploit its playerbase to that degree is simply revolting. I choose not to play games that make me feel that way. Games should be played for pleasure. If that feeling is ruined, there's no getting it back.

I'm going to check out Molyneux's new Android game, unless it has offensive iap too.

Ilvocare

Buy one avatar board now (you'll really want at least one ABII Max, especially if you have some mega-nukes with a multitude of uses like Jack Skellington w/a decent guilt) and another one later if there are no worthwhile medal pull offers and you feel that you have some other good medal to give it to.

I guess, yeah. Who would I give the AB3 to, though?

Also apparently I should've given my Jack & Sally APP instead of AB2? Is that true? Because I'll go do that, but I DID want to mention that thanks to them, Jack, and Seph all being fully chipped and stocked with AB2's I steamrolled Parts 4 and 5 for Lady Luck and I've brought Divine Rose to +25 at long fucking last. What keyblade should I focus on next?

I think my Power setup is woefully lacking in real punch, although I technically have 2 Magic Gems, so maybe I'd be better off focusing on TW instead?

Basically I'm struggling between beefing up Treasure Trove, Three Wishes, or Olympia. The two Power keyblades are at level +22, TW is at +23. Any ideas?

Late to the farewell party, but I absolutely don't blame you. I think mobile games are actual poison, and the only reason I can think of as to why I'm still playing this is because they've become more publically acceptable to tolerate... and also I love KH and I have a problem when it comes to learning plot info.

also

Banned
To everyone complaining about the SRK medal and how awful the global version is, you do know that Japan had basically the same requirements for the TVA medal for which we didn't need to guilt anything?

creid

My departure won't register with SE. They have consistently shown that they don't consider the opinions of individual gamers outside Japan with all of their online games, dating back at least to FFXI.
To be fair, they care about FFXIV players once in a while.

Top Bottom