• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

King's Quest |OT| Heir to Stay?

kamineko

Does his best thinking in the flying car
Hey PS4 preorder folks, looks like there's something different to download in NA

xir

Likely to be eaten by a grue
finished. pretty good, trophy hunting will be fun and annoying.

they need to patch in skipping scenes you've already seen.

more comments to come later.
edit: also, it's really stunning, but not in your face about it. The High Moon animation team did a great job too, but i love the color palette and line width on things

thatJohann

This game is incredibly charming and full of personality, it's like playing a cartoon. I am loving it.

oqySODY.jpg

RedAssedApe

Banned
oh god all these positive reviews

didn't think there would ever be another good game based on these classic sierra ips after the leisure suit larry fiascos...

kamineko

Please link screenshots, I've already seen a lot of the game and I don't know when I'll be able to play the copy I bought. :(

Dunno where you live, but there's a new download in NA. I'm DL'ing it now.

Store seems unusually slow, unfortunately, but I think we're a go

xclk07

So if I did NOT pre order and I buy the "Complete Collection" (that says it contains chapters 1 through 5, different than the "Season Pass" says chapters 2 through 5) on PS4 at this point, am I able to successfully play it? Does anyone know?

Dunno where you live, but there's a new download in NA. I'm DL'ing it now.

Store seems unusually slow, unfortunately, but I think we're a go

I'm downloading again right now (2 hours left) but nothing indicated that it would work for sure this time. I didn't see "Free" on the game's page like others have reported. It actually said "Unavailable" under the link to the game's page, then when I visited the page there was a "Download" button which I hit. Fingers crossed.

kamineko

I'm downloading again right now (2 hours left) but nothing indicated that it would work for sure this time. I didn't see "Free" on the game's page like others have reported. It actually said "Unavailable" under the link to the game's page, then when I got to the actual page it there was a "Download" button which I hit. Fingers crossed.

We'll see. Some of the folks on the Sony forum say they can play now after this.

I hope so, I really want to play!

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
So if I did NOT pre order and I buy the "Complete Collection" (that says it contains chapters 1 through 5, different than the "Season Pass" says chapters 2 through 5) on PS4 at this point, am I able to successfully play it? Does anyone know?

I'm waiting for a response to this too. Afraid to buy until it's confirmed safe.

adj_noun

We'll see. Some of the folks on the Sony forum say they can play now after this.

I hope so, I really want to play!

Welp, I tried one guy's solution:

Go into the PSN store, and select the King's Quest complete collection. It should now show as "free". Select it and download it. It shouldn't take any time to download if you have already downloaded the game. After it is done, relaunch the game

Didn't work; game still broken.

kamineko

Welp, I tried one guy's solution:

Didn't work; game still broken.

Well, shit. I guess I'll see what happens. I've got 40 minutes left.

UPDATE: Downloaded the free thing, didn't get in.

Then restored my licenses (again), now I am playing King's Quest.

melkier33

I talked to Sony they told me they received an incomplete file. First guy gave me a bogus number to call and the second guy gave me Activision number but the options are for 3 games so it hung up on me. I deleted the game and am downloading the free version that showed up. Download size is about 2 gigs bigger then the pre download "crosses fingers".

NYHorn36

I deleted the game and am downloading the free version that showed up. Download size is about 2 gigs bigger then the pre download "crosses fingers".

I'm doing the same thing. When I deleted and re-downloaded last night, it made me download the themes again. This time it didn't, and like you said, the size is different, so hopefully all this means it'll work.

adj_noun

Well, shit. I guess I'll see what happens. I've got 40 minutes left.

UPDATE: Downloaded the free thing, didn't get in.

Then restored my licenses (again), now I am playing King's Quest.

Ok, restored my licenses for the second time and now it works.

mackattk

Really enjoying this game. It has a ton of charm. Was only able to play for an hour or two, but will put more time into it tomorrow.
It has been so long since I played a game like this. It's pretty refreshing and am digging the story telling aspect of it. It reminds me of some of the classic 80's movies.

I talked to Sony they told me they received an incomplete file. First guy gave me a bogus number to call and the second guy gave me Activision number but the options are for 3 games so it hung up on me. I deleted the game and am downloading the free version that showed up. Download size is about 2 gigs bigger then the pre download "crosses fingers".

The one I am currently downloading is 4.651 GB. I have a feeling I'm fucked. Maybe I didn't wait long enough before re-downloading.

I'll wait til it finishes anyway, it's my one chance to play tonight.

edit: The PS Store web site lists the game as 2.8 GB, I might actually be okay! 9 minutes left... there aren't enough limbs to cross.

kamineko

I only have time to play the intro tonight, unfortunately, but I really like the art style and tone, which seems faithful to the original series. Looking forward to spending more time on this tomorrow!

Ashtar

After watching the video on gti have the sudden urge to play this although I've never played a kings quest game before. The only reason I'm not is I'm already over budget this month. Doesn't seem to be an incentive to but right now.

melkier33

The one I am currently downloading is 4.651 GB. I have a feeling I'm fucked. Maybe I didn't wait long enough before re-downloading.

edit: The PS Store web site lists the game as 2.8 GB, I might actually be okay! 9 minutes left... there aren't enough limbs to cross.

Just checked mine went back down to 4.651gb

NYHorn36

Mine works now, same GB as you, 4.651. After the download finished, I restored my licenses for good measure. Hope you're ok too!

EDIT: Well now looking at it, it says total size 7.89 GB (which was the first number before it switched on me). But it works so what the hell.

Stiler

I am really enjoying this game.

It has such charm to it and the art style really helps give it a fairy tale/dream-like quality.

Also find it find to fail on purpose just to hear what Chrisopher Lloyd will say.

There are even achievements for doing that (at least one so far that I found).

How long is the game? someone in here said they already finished, damn! Is it me or do these Episodic games tend to be insanely short?

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Well you could also just go and get the first episode. The money versus gametime is incredible for this title. And then choose later to jump into the fray maybe.
I mean, I'd honestly prefer it to be short to be honest. I'm just wondering if they've somehow justified the price.

If this was Quest for Glory or Gabriel Knight, it'd be a no brainer for me. It's just I have the least nostalgia for KQ so there's some hesitation. lol

Karak

I mean, I'd honestly prefer it to be short to be honest. I'm just wondering if they've somehow justified the price.

If this was Quest for Glory or Gabriel Knight, it'd be a no brainer for me. It's just I have the least nostalgia for KQ so there's some hesitation. lol

Makes sense.

Yep... the whole enchilada for the ps4. 39.99 And I get to play an epilogue. I don't know if PC version has it too.

Gotcha. I think all versions get it if they buy the whole thing.

gogojira

Hope this hasn't been asked a million times already, but I'd love to play this in comfy couch mode. Is there a significant (graphical) advantage to playing on PC? It seems like it's got a really lovely, but not so demanding, art style.

Wow! This game has blown my socks off. I was expecting a cheap cash in on the Kings Quest name. I grew up playing these games on the PC years ago. I've tried to return to them but it is more like visiting a museum than the amusement park they used to be for me.

The creators of this game have simply out done themselves. The animations, backgrounds, music, voice over work etc are just phenomenal. My daughter sat alongside me today as I played. She laughed and smiled the whole time just as I used to when I played these games so long ago. I simply wasn't expecting this to be good and I wasn't expecting this to be as engaging and amazing as it is.

It's like Uncharted meets Disney meets Kings Quest meets The Walking Dead(Telltale). FANTASTIC and HIGHLY RECOMENDED.

For reference I am playing on the PS4 and there is no hitching what so ever in the graphics and the game feels highly polished.

Posting from my phone before going to bed so I'll keep this short.

I am in love with this game. Gorgeous, funny, polished... enchanting. My eyes also got watery at some point due to the combination of how long I've waited for a new King's Quest and how beautifully crafted this one is. It's
the vista you get before reaching the first creek
that did me in.

spinz

This is the best thing I've read all thread.

Restore/Restart/Quit?

its pretty neat actually because the game is told as a story graham is telling his granddaughter, so when theres a death they make a variety of little jokes out of graham telling the story wrong. And you select continue or quit.

Schattenjäger;173311242 said:
What's the best format? Controller or mouse?

definitely controller.

Wow! This game has blown my socks off. I was expecting a cheap cash in on the Kings Quest name. I grew up playing these games on the PC years ago. I've tried to return to them but it is more like visiting a museum than the amusement park they used to be for me.

The creators of this game have simply out done themselves. The animations, backgrounds, music, voice over work etc are just phenomenal. My daughter sat alongside me today as I played. She laughed and smiled the whole time just as I used to when I played these games so long ago. I simply wasn't expecting this to be good and I wasn't expecting this to be as engaging and amazing as it is.

It's like Uncharted meets Disney meets Kings Quest meets The Walking Dead(Telltale). FANTASTIC and HIGHLY RECOMENDED.

For reference I am playing on the PS4 and there is no hitching what so ever in the graphics and the game feels highly polished.
Yeah I don't have any kids yet, but felt like such a perfect family game.

spinz

bought full package , loaded up, but I dont see where to play prologue. only chapter. what gives?

thats correct. The full package gives access to an epilogue which wont be released until the end.
The game seems like it starts abruptly but keep playing and it will explain.

Top Bottom