• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kobe Bryant slinging homophobic slur during nationally televised NBA game

Status
Not open for further replies.

Riposte

ZephyrFate said:
Uhh... yes? Just because you're male doesn't mean you have to be masculine.

Okay, but do people have to like everyone? Especially particular qualities of everyone. How do you enforce that?

mavs

Riposte said:
And so it is worth shunning someone for dislike feminine qualities in men in the same way people shun homophobes?

Yes? I've met gay men like that. They go in the all-purpose category 'asshole'.

InertiaXr said:
Oh no no I agree, using faggot is a pretty poor decision on his part. I just feel as though people are using this story to try and paint Kobe as the only guy who ever does this kind of stuff to refs, when he's not. Using faggot should indeed not be tolerated (he got fined 100k a few minutes ago) but the whole cussing and yelling at refs is something that I have always seen in basketball and other sports. Whether it's appropriate or not people will debate, but it's become customary and the refs know this, and I think if anything allowing guys to yell what they want at the refs helps to keep them from bottling up emotions and unleashing them on opposing players.
Fair enough and I agree with that.

Kobe is easy to beat up on. Rape case and all that. Still, I don't remember the last time I heard or thought I saw someone mouth "faggot". Seems so classless to me these days. Call someone a "bitch" if you must deride their manhood.

SUPREME1 said:
Little old lady driving way to slow? "Move out of the way you fucking faggot!"
you need to expand your fucking vocab, son.

SUPREME1 said:
I certainly would.

Wouldn't make a lick of sense, but I'd still use it as a curse word if someone pissed me off.

Little old lady driving way to slow? "Move out of the way you fucking faggot!"

To their face, what people do in private is their/your business.

Riposte said:
Okay, but do people have to like everyone? Especially particular qualities of everyone. How do you enforce that?
You're using some slippery slope logical fallacy in order to equate recognizing that male =/= masculine and that faggot isn't a good word to use with 'well then I guess we just have to like EVERYONE'. No one is arguing that and it weakens your argument.

Joates

Banned
Riposte said:

Heres his answer from above :

ZephyrFate said:
The word itself is a remnant of the past and needs to be erased from language in general.

See how easy his solution is :lol

ZephyrFate said:
You're using some slippery slope logical fallacy in order to equate recognizing that male =/= masculine and that faggot isn't a good word to use with 'well then I guess we just have to like EVERYONE'. No one is arguing that and it weakens your argument.

Youre trying to force people to respect people and its never going to happen. Respect is not something that is legislated, sorry.

ZephyrFate said:
Considering faggot in 99% of its usage is a gay slur or a slur against 'feminine' men, I don't care if the other 1% is something totally different, it's a word that has negative connotations and negative context ubiquitously.

I dont know about your percentages there. When I was growing up we used it a lot and it wasn't in referring to gay people. I dont say it anymore cause Im not 12 but I have said it and never did it in a way that was meant to imply they were gay.

Qwomo said:
About as many times as I've heard a man referred to as a bitch.

I hear plenty of men called bitches.....never a woman faggot.

And I hang out on the Internets/MMO's....I hear/read lot of crap.

ShdwDrake

Banned
Dreams-Visions said:
Fair enough and I agree with that.

Kobe is easy to beat up on. Rape case and all that. Still, I don't remember the last time I heard or thought I saw someone mouth "faggot". Seems so classless to me these days. Call someone a "bitch" if you must deride their manhood.

you need to expand your fucking vocab, son.

Fucking is a bad word. You should expand your vocab brother. Because we are all brothers in the eyes of the lord.

MIMIC said:
Something I learned while teaching a class the other day: girls call each other "fag" and "gay" just like guys do.

Shock horror, ignorance crosses the gender gap. That wasn't the question by the way, a man calling another man a faggot has certain implications that a man calling a woman wouldn't.

Riposte said:
You should be pretty indifferent towards intrinsic qualities of people, like eye color, skin color, sexual orientation, sex, ... because they can't be changed, and because they have no bearings on the character and attitude of people. You can however dislike the character, attitude, principles and actions of people.

The femininity of people is a grey area, because sometimes it's not clear if it's an intrinsic part of someone, or something purposely done. If it's part of the "attitude" of the gay person, like the "super sassy black girl" schtick, I can understand that it's just not really something you like. However, if a lisp and funny walk of a guy causes you to dislike the person, that's pretty silly. In the end though, it all still matters how nice the person is. I admit I can be thrown off by the femininity of a gay guy when I first meet him, but after like 5 minutes I don't even notice it anymore and whether I appreciate the guy or not solely depends on what he says, not how he says it.

Qwomo

Cerebral Assassin said:
Shock horror, ignorance crosses the gender gap. That wasn't the question by the way, a man calling another man a faggot has certain implications that a man calling a woman wouldn't.
It only has certain implications, when it is said with certain implications.

JDSN

Banned
Dreams-Visions said:
there are lots of choice, vulgar words to hurl at fellow players and referees other than racial, orientation and gender-specific slurs.

Kobe needs to learn them. Perhaps take some notes from KG.

Hahahaha wow.

Kinitari

Black Canada Mafia
Riposte said:

What are you going on about bro? No one is saying anything has to be mandated or enforced - let's just be nice people and not be hurtful. If you are using the word "faggot" without realizing that it offends people greatly, like a lot a lot a lot, well you know now. If you don't want to offend people a lot a lot a lot, stop using the word. If you don't care that it offends people a lot, then keep using it. Simple as that. Although get used the idea that people will like you less because of it. It honestly is no more complicated than that.

Shin Dynamo X said:
What PC bullshit. So let me get this straight:

1. Kevin Garnett called some one a cancer kid, and yet it is OK.
2. Kobe call someone gay, gets fined 100k.

WOW!! Which one is more serious??

Of course, it's the one that plays for the favored team, KG can do and say what he wants. Also it's because cancer patients aren't sensitive little whiners and fight until the end. And don't whine and complain about everything about being persecuted and oppressed.

The main reason why politcal correctness has brainwashed America is due to the ease of pursuing lawsuits. PC why is America has gone soft.
why are you so offended geeze

you're too sensitive dude

mavs said:
lmao way to prove the point here, drop faggot and it's an angry slip, just threaten to drop "the n word" and you're a fucking hateful bastard.

That's not at all what I'm referring to and you know that, ass. Mercury Fred comes into these types of threads and just hatefucks the majority of them into submission, ejaculating loads and loads of piss-awful statements that are reactionary and very rarely based on reasonable, honest discussion and debate. He just can't fathom anyone in their right mind not being a vehement activist like he is, and you aren't, YOU'RE WHAT'S WRONG WITH THE COUNTRY.

Joates said:
Heres his answer from above :

See how easy his solution is :lol

Youre trying to force people to respect people and its never going to happen. Respect is not something that is legislated, sorry.
No, it's not. But it should become cognitive dissonance in the year 2011.

DeathbyVolcano said:
That's not at all what I'm referring to and you know that, ass. Mercury Fred comes into these types of threads and just hatefucks the majority of them into submission, ejaculating loads and loads of piss-awful statements that are reactionary and very rarely based on reasonable, honest discussion and debate. He just can't fathom anyone in their right mind not being a vehement activist like he is, and you aren't, YOU'RE WHAT'S WRONG WITH THE COUNTRY.
Damn, girl.

Can we go out? My treat!

7w6bd.jpg

hm....

Joates

Banned
Souldriver said:
You should be pretty indifferent towards intrinsic qualities of people, like eye color, skin color, sexual orientation, sex, ... because they can't be changed, and because they have no bearings on the character and attitude of people. You can however dislike the character, attitude, principles and actions of people.

Unfortunately many people think that sexual orientation is a choice or (and I heard this arguing with my friend's dumbass GF) a chemical imbalance :lol Now that right there is something to argue about. Kobe's comment however, is nothing like that and shouldnt be judged as such. People are stupid and easily offended. What else is new?

Qwomo said:
It only has certain implications, when it is said with certain implications.

Context is beautiful isnt it.

ZephyrFate said:
No, it's not. But it should become cognitive dissonance in the year 2011.

Then what is your solution?

DeathbyVolcano said:

Agreed.

Cubsfan23

Banned
Cerebral Assassin said:
As far as I know there are 3 major definitions of the word faggot: Gay, fire starting device, & a type of meatball. Which one to you think the insult derives from.

do you believe Kobe was calling the ref gay, in his context?

Qwomo

Also, for the record, faggot is an immature little word used by immature little people, and every person in this thread who's come out and said "I say faggot all the time" is a childish imbecile and should be treated as such.

But faggot still doesn't always mean "gay."

Cerebral Assassin said:
As far as I know there are 3 major definitions of the word faggot: Gay, fire starting device, & a type of meatball. Which one to you think the insult derives from.

All this could've been avoided if Kobe just called him a meatball instead.

Kinitari

Black Canada Mafia
viakado said:
then you've failed to understand the context of kobe's heated words.

Hmmm... if I started calling people who were really stupid "Niggers" - would that take the power away from the word Nigger? Does the context remove the negative association with the homophobic community? Just to be clear, I would never call a black idiot a "nigger"

Joates

Banned
Two types of people in this thread.

People who can understand things in context.

People who dont know what context is or means.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom