• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kobe Bryant slinging homophobic slur during nationally televised NBA game

Status
Not open for further replies.
MIMIC said:
Bullshit.

Gay always meant homosexual.
There is absolutely no way to prove that faggot has evolved beyond 'homosexual'.

You can keep bringing up this point but it's kind of useless in this argument.

Joates

Banned
julls said:
Ask any person what they think 'faggot' means and not one will claim it means 'asshole'. I've never heard it used in that way.

Ask that person what they think Kobe meant when he used it, and not one will claim it was a slur directed at A)the refs sexuality B) anyones sexuality.

Ollie Pooch

In a perfect world, we'd all be homersexual
ZephyrFate said:
There is absolutely no way to prove that faggot has evolved beyond 'homosexual'.

It means asshole now man, didn't you get the memo?

Joates said:
Ask that person what they think Kobe meant when he used it, and not one will claim it was a slur directed at A)the refs sexuality B) anyones sexuality.
Just because he didn't mean it that way, again, does not mean that its harm as a sexuality pejorative disappears. In fact, the very reason that faggot has multiple meanings that are all made equivalent actually hurts homosexuals more.

Joates still has never told me why people who think "faggot" means something like asshole, just don't say "asshole" instead. Guess he doesn't want to admit they're using "faggot" for a reason other than just using a mean word, that it's a word specifically meant to hurt guys on a deeper level than "asshole" can. You're trying to offend their masculinity in that instance, and you know it Joates, stop being willfully ignorant. If people wanted to use "asshole" "douchebag" or "fucker" they would, they're specifically choosing "faggot" because it is an attack on another man's pride, and why is it? Because of the tropes of "real" or "manly" men being heterosexual and not effeminate.

This whole discussion with you is just so pointless really. I should go do homework.

MIMIC

Banned
ZephyrFate said:

I didn't say faggot. I said gay. But "fag" (when used as a non-homophobic insult, like today) is used just like the word "gay" is

Joates said:
Notsureifserious...

Not serious :)

Joates

Banned
Devolution said:
Joates still has never told me why people who think "faggot" means something like asshole, just don't say "asshole" instead. Guess he doesn't want to admit they're using "faggot" for a reason other than just using a mean word, that it's a word specifically meant to hurt guys on a deeper level than "asshole" can. You're trying to offend their masculinity in that instance, and you know it Joates, stop being willfully ignorant. If people wanted to use "asshole" "douchebag" or "fucker" they would, they're specifically choosing "faggot" because it is an attack on another man's pride, and why is it? Because of the tropes of "real" or "manly" men being heterosexual.

This whole discussion with you is just so pointless really. I should go do homework.

Because they typically use "faggot" in place asshole for whatever reason, perhaps just habit. Is this really not possible under any circumstances.

btkadams

Devolution said:
Joates still has never told me why people who think "faggot" means something like asshole, just don't say "asshole" instead. Guess he doesn't want to admit they're using "faggot" for a reason other than just using a mean word, that it's a word specifically meant to hurt guys on a deeper level than "asshole" can. You're trying to offend their masculinity in that instance, and you know it Joates, stop being willfully ignorant. If people wanted to use "asshole" "douchebag" or "fucker" they would, they're specifically choosing "faggot" because it is an attack on another man's pride, and why is it? Because of the tropes of "real" or "manly" men being heterosexual and not effeminate.

"faggot" is so in right now, duh!

Joates said:
Because they typically use "faggot" in place asshole for whatever reason, perhaps just habit. Is this really not possible under any circumstances.

At some point they learn what "faggot" really entails and keep on using it, why do you think that is?

SlipperySlope said:
Dang it, I'll break my promise. One more post in this thread. I think that shirt is funny as shit. It's a direct attack on the PC crowd, and nothing more. Will it get some people up in arms? Of course. But those people who take it seriously are far too anal.

I'm white. If Kobe had said "fucking cracker", I wouldn't give a shit. Heck, I think Chris Rock's "Cracka ass cracker" comment is one of the funniest quips I've ever heard. People need to learn to take things less seriously. And if somebody gets their feelings hurt, I just don't care. It's life. It happens to everyone. My advice is to stomach it and move on.
yea...walk in our shoes, then tell us to "lighten up".

Your commentary is only a reminder of how oblivious to the American social experience of minorities, gays and women that a white male can afford to be. No historical perspective at all. Because you've never had to consider it.

Dreams-Visions said:

Your commentary is only a reminder of how oblivious to the American social experience minorities, gays and women have had to deal with a white male can be. No historical perspective at all.
And people claim that white people need to be defended.

From what? Their own ignorance?

Dreams-Visions said:

Your commentary is only a reminder of how oblivious to the American social experience minorities, gays and women have had to deal with a white male can be. No historical perspective at all.

Hey man some of us whiteys try to look in other perspectives than our privileged mountain top. I guess it's easier though with some minority status lol.

Plumbob

ITT fantasy scenarios:
So one of my coworkers is really obnoxious. He's also gay. One day I stood up and called him a "faggot." He said, "that's not cool." I said "I wasn't insulting you for your homosexuality, I was calling you an asshole." He said, "Oh, really? Now that you've clarified I completely understand. Why am I an asshole?" We've been great friends ever since.

btkadams

Plumbob said:
So one of my coworkers is really obnoxious. He's also gay. One day I stood up and called him a "faggot." He said, "that's not cool." I said "I wasn't insulting you for your homosexuality, I was calling you an asshole." He said, "Oh, really? Now that you've clarified I completely understand."
This does not make you sound good, fyi.

edit: joke post? lol i'm bad at gaf today.

allreal

UrokeJoe said:
Michael Jordan never did that. Another +1 on the court for him.
Michael Jordan called kwame brown a flaming "maggot." And I think it was off the court when he was the gm of the wizards. jordan is a HUGE douche, I would say he's abigger douche than Kobe and has been known to be a staright up asshole to all. Not defending Kobe, but... Yeah greatness sometimes equals high horse behavior.

shocked by the amount of responces in this thread. Rightfully so tho, i guess, can see both sides of the argument.

Joates

Banned
Devolution said:
At some point they learn what "faggot" really entails and keep on using it, why do you think that is?

I just answered that question. It could simply be out of habit. Now go ahead and try to tell me Im wrong and it could not possibly be simply out of habit. There must be some sort of hatred for gays somewhere in it. I mean thats the words intrinsic meaning right!!?

Monocle

Joates said:
Joates said:
Quoting my earlier reply because you ignored it. Bolded for your edification.

Monocle said:
When the word faggot is used in a pejorative sense, it's pretty bloody clear why it's supposed to be considered insulting. The emasculating association with the homophobic stereotype of the effeminate gay man is obvious to any culturally literate person. You are making a fool and an ass of yourself by ignoring this widely understood fact.

ZephyrFate said:
And people claim that white people need to be defended.

From what? Their own ignorance?
*bro fist*

I try not to get frustrated. But some things are difficult to communicate, as you've found.

Keep up the good work.

@ Devo: <3

Joates said:
I just answered that question. It could simply be out of habit. Now go ahead and try to tell me Im wrong and it could not possibly be simply out of habit. There must be some sort of hatred for gays somewhere in it. I mean thats the words intrinsic meaning right!!?

And why wouldn't they try to break this habit if they consider themselves decent people?

Plumbob said:
ITT fantasy scenarios:
So one of my coworkers is really obnoxious. He's also gay. One day I stood up and called him a "faggot." He said, "that's not cool." I said "I wasn't insulting you for your homosexuality, I was calling you an asshole." He said, "Oh, really? Now that you've clarified I completely understand. Why am I an asshole?" We've been great friends ever since.
Oh THAT'S how it works. Okay, well, I'm gonna invent a fantasy scenario where I can call a black person the n-word but invent some totally arbitrary other definition for it. I'm sure they'll understand.

(i know that this is a joke post)

Plumbob said:
ITT fantasy scenarios:

good post

MIMIC

Banned
Plumbob said:
ITT fantasy scenarios:

You called him an asshole for no reason :(

Joates

Banned
Devolution said:
And why wouldn't they try to break this habit if they consider themselves decent people?

I have no clue, Im not trying to identify individuals reasons for using the word. Im saying the possibilities are out there. whether you refuse to believe or not.

Joates said:
I have no clue, Im not trying to identify individuals reasons for using the word. Im saying the possibilities are out there. whether you refuse to believe or not.

Nah answer the question, what kind of "decent person" keeps using the word "faggot" knowing full well its history and affects on other people?

Joates said:
yet still, faggot cannot be taken out of context from its homophobic underpinnings

ever.

i don't care how much you shout no.

the truth is there, and it's pretty permanent right now.

Joates

Banned
blame space said:
good post

Its not a good post, when you KNOW said coworker is gay and use faggot as your word of choice, in that case its really not that hard to figure out what you meant. You know CONTEXT.

The vast majority of times I hear "gay" or "faggot" used it has no intention of being a homophobic slur - in the sense that the person is not saying "you're gay and that's bad haha" OVERTLY

But here's the thing: the mere fact that those words have such negative, emasculating intent should tell us something is wrong. Whether your intent is to simply call someone dumb or not, you're identifying those things with a sexuality. When you say "stop being gay and throw the ball faster, jesus" what are you really saying? It's associating "gay" with "weak" or "dumb" or whatever

The best possible comparison is the whole "acting white" or "acting black" thing. I've heard people attempt to use those phrases or variations of them as compliments, or take race out yet it's still there covertly ("you don't act ghetto, you're quite well spoken..."). Regardless of intent there's a negative undercurrent that needs to be exposed.

Ollie Pooch

In a perfect world, we'd all be homersexual
LOL just thought of a line from one of my favourite movies - "Welcome to the Dollhouse".

Brandon : "Why do you hang around with that faggot?"
Dawn Wiener : "Just because he's a faggot, doesn't mean he's an asshole!"

Marius_ said:
I only quoted you once to prove a point not aimed at you in a derogatory way before I replied to Gaborn with that comment.

which was this

basically you just made an assumption :p

You proved a point to me by saying that I probably was never discriminated against so how was I supposed to respond?

Mileena

Banned
First he rapes an innocent girl and now this. Kobe is disgusting. Dude should retire once they get swept by Miami in the finals.

Joates

Banned
ZephyrFate said:
yet still, faggot cannot be taken out of context from its homophobic underpinnings

ever.

i don't care how much you shout no.

the truth is there, and it's pretty permanent right now.

ever? really? Never ever?

by semantics alone, youre wrong ;)

Joates

Banned
Monocle said:
Fingers still firmly in ear canals, I see. LA-LA-LA!

An insult yes, the rest is a stretch.

Originally Posted by Joates:
Originally Posted by Joates:
Quoting my earlier reply because you ignored it. Bolded for your edification.

Originally Posted by Monocle:
When the word faggot is used in a pejorative sense, it's pretty bloody clear why it's supposed to be considered insulting. The emasculating association with the homophobic stereotype of the effeminate gay man is obvious to any culturally literate person. You are making a fool and an ass of yourself by ignoring this widely understood fact.

Ok, So when Kobe said that, "The emasculating association with the homophobic stereotype of the effeminate gay man" was going through his head, or was the reason for him saying that. Or could it have been more of a simple insult not necessarily directly tied to homosexuality and or its tendencies?

Youre thinking WAY too much into this.

btkadams

Sutton Dagger said:
Pretty disappointing that these comments are coming from one of the people who I have supported in this thread.
Zephyr is white. I am pretty sure he just means that white, straight people are not minorities and so it's easy for them to not understand the feelings of being one. His post is a little too intense but yeah.

btkadams said:

I know! I know!!!

a dude that knows how to make a point in a social situation?

a dude that understands language and its lack of logic, and refuses to condemn certain individuals for a fault they don't even realize that they commit, even if it's inappropriate?

a dude that searches for the root of feelings rather than a cosmetic residual?

a dude that likes other dudes?

MC8uQ.gif

Kusagari

Devolution said:
Nah answer the question, what kind of "decent person" keeps using the word "faggot" knowing full well it's history and affects on other people?

Are you speaking heat of the moment here or someone who uses the term as a standard insult?

btkadams

blame space said:
a dude that knows how to make a point in a social situation?

a dude that understands language and its lack of logic, and refuses to condemn certain individuals for a fault they don't even realize that they commit, even if it's inappropriate?

a dude that searches for the root of feelings rather than a cosmetic residual?

a dude that likes other dudes?

http://i.imgur.com/MC8uQ.gif[IMG][/QUOTE]
you're supposed to put up your hand first before you answer.

[QUOTE=Kusagari]Are you speaking heat of the moment here or someone who uses the term as a standard insult?[/QUOTE]
aren't insults usually made in a heat of the moment?

I wish the PC types realized that the way they push their cause hurts what the real issue is about. I mean do you really care that someone uses the word faggot? What you really care about is the fact that gays are accepted, respected and treated as equals. By being "offended" by the word, all you are doing is getting people upset at you for telling them what they can or can't say, which will make them much less likely to listen to what you have to say that is actually important.

Sutton Dagger said:
Pretty disappointing that these comments are coming from one of the people who I have supported in this thread.
People who are not minorities have little reason to be defended. They do not have a concept of characteristics of their birth being attacked.

I'm not really sorry for what I said, either.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom