• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kobe Bryant slinging homophobic slur during nationally televised NBA game

Status
Not open for further replies.

Plumbob

Joates said:
Its not a good post, when you KNOW said coworker is gay and use faggot as your word of choice, in that case its really not that hard to figure out what you meant. You know CONTEXT.

ITT Fantasy Scenarios:

I had this coworker who was really obnoxious. One day he frustrates me and I stand up and call him a "faggot." Another coworker stands up and says "That's not cool, I'm gay and that hurts my feelings." I say "it's OK! I meant 'faggot' as in 'asshole,' not 'faggot' as in 'homosexual.'" The gay coworker says "well now that you've clarified, I completely understand. In fact he has been acting like quite the faggot lately." Someone else yells out "yeah! we've had enough of your faggotry!" The first coworker sighs and says, "Okay, just tell me whats bugging you and I'll change it. I'm not trying to be a faggot on purpose." We three went out to get drinks later, and all was chill.

UrokeJoe

Fat people need to step up, or roll up on someone. They are clearly not offended enough.

Oh that's right it's there choice to be that way. Lazy fucks

LizardKing said:
I wish the PC types realized that the way they push their cause hurts what the real issue is about. I mean do you really care that someone uses the word faggot? What you really care about is the fact that gays are accepted, respected and treated as equals. By being "offended" by the word, all you are doing is getting people upset at you for telling them what they can or can't say, which will make them much less likely to listen to what you have to say that is actually important.

What gives you the right to tell a group what they can and can't be offended by? And them being upset about being insulted...means their goal for equal rights shouldn't be taken seriously? come on

Joates

Banned
Plumbob said:
ITT Fantasy Scenarios:

I had this coworker who was really obnoxious. One day he frustrates me and I stand up and call him a "faggot." Another coworker stands up and says "That's not cool, I'm gay and that hurts my feelings." I say "it's OK! I meant 'faggot' as in 'asshole,' not 'faggot' as in 'homosexual.'" The gay coworker says "well now that you've clarified, I completely understand. In fact he has been acting like quite the faggot lately." Someone else yells out "yeah! we've had enough of your faggotry!" The first coworker sighs and says, "Okay, just tell me whats bugging you and I'll change it. I'm not trying to be a faggot on purpose." We three
\went out to get drinks later, and all was chill.

You suck at creating fantasy scenarios :(

btkadams said:
you're supposed to put up your hand first before you answer.

always had trouble with the effective timing of this, even in elementary school.

when you have something important to say, timing is everything.

MIMIC

Banned
Plumbob said:
ITT Fantasy Scenarios:

I had this coworker who was really obnoxious. One day he frustrates me and I stand up and call him a "faggot." Another coworker stands up and says "That's not cool, I'm gay and that hurts my feelings." I say "it's OK! I meant 'faggot' as in 'asshole,' not 'faggot' as in 'homosexual.'" The gay coworker says "well now that you've clarified, I completely understand. In fact he has been acting like quite the faggot lately." Someone else yells out "yeah! we've had enough of your faggotry!" The first coworker sighs and says, "Okay, just tell me whats bugging you and I'll change it. I'm not trying to be a faggot on purpose." We three went out to get drinks later, and all was chill.

People who eavesdrop hear things out of context?

Dr. Malik

FlatAss_
ChocolateCupcakes said:
You proved a point to me by saying that I probably was never discriminated against so how was I supposed to respond?

No, I didn't. My reply was to Gaborn on his comment why others are trying to justify the usage of the word. Me quoting you that first time wasn't even meant for you.

Monocle

Joates said:
An insult yes, the rest is a stretch.

Originally Posted by Joates:
Ask that person what they think Kobe meant when he used it, and not one will claim it was a slur directed at A)the refs sexuality B) anyones sexuality.
Originally Posted by Joates:
Because they typically use "faggot" in place asshole for whatever reason, perhaps just habit. Is this really not possible under any circumstances.
Quoting my earlier reply because you ignored it. Bolded for your edification.

Originally Posted by Monocle:
When the word faggot is used in a pejorative sense, it's pretty bloody clear why it's supposed to be considered insulting. The emasculating association with the homophobic stereotype of the effeminate gay man is obvious to any culturally literate person. You are making a fool and an ass of yourself by ignoring this widely understood fact.

Ok, So when Kobe said that, "The emasculating association with the homophobic stereotype of the effeminate gay man" was going through his head, or was the reason for him saying that. Or could it have been more of a simple insult not necessarily directly tied to homosexuality and or its tendencies?

Youre thinking WAY too much into this.
You're seriously missing the point. Regardless of the speaker's intention, the word faggot is a homophobic slur because of its history and other people's associations. If someone calls someone else a nigger but has no knowledge of the history of slavery, it's still a grave slur, because the word nigger's meaning is dependent on its associations in the social consciousness (that is, in the minds of people collectively), not just the person who said it. The same holds true for the word faggot. Honestly, this is all very straightforward.

Jerk

Banned
LizardKing said:
I wish the PC types realized that the way they push their cause hurts what the real issue is about. I mean do you really care that someone uses the word faggot? What you really care about is the fact that gays are accepted, respected and treated as equals. By being "offended" by the word, all you are doing is getting people upset at you for telling them what they can or can't say, which will make them much less likely to listen to what you have to say that is actually important.

I used to think so too, and never corrected my room mate when he used to make a racial slur against blacks.

Then he started saying shit like "The black man is the source of all of societie's problems."

It is only then I realise that what I had given him was license to be a racist prick.

Now, I am not saying that we let being PC dictate all that we say and think, but at the same time, I do not believe that we should completely abstain from making out thoughts known when people say stuff like this.

Joates

Banned
Devolution said:
Aww Joates won't answer my question, figures.

Hmm, Lets see, regardless of what I say, it wont matter because you have your mind made up, so why bother?

A "decent" person doesnt use the words. I dont use the words. Is that what you were looking for? Fuck off.

Monocle said:
You're seriously missing the point. Regardless of the speaker's intention, the word faggot is a homophobic slur because of its history and other people's associations. If someone calls someone else a nigger but has no knowledge of the history of slavery, it's still a grave slur, because the word nigger's meaning is dependent on its associations in the social consciousness (that is, in the minds of people collectively), not just the person who said it. The same holds true for the word faggot. Honestly, this is all very straightforward.
the end.

ZephyrFate said:
People who are not minorities have little reason to be defended. They do not have a concept of characteristics of their birth being attacked.

I'm not really sorry for what I said, either.

I think the entire point of this thread should be that no matter your race/sex/sexual preference/characteristics of birth, you don't deserve to be abused. The 'who has been victimised more' card isn't really a good argument, bigotry is bigotry.

Are you saying there is an association between being white and being ignorant?

PhoenixDark said:
What gives you the right to tell a group what they can and can't be offended by? And them being upset about being insulted...means their goal for equal rights shouldn't be taken seriously? come on

I said nothing about what they can or can't be offended by. I just said I wish they'd realize that this type of criticism hurts their cause. And I also didn't say it shouldn't be taken seriously. You are putting all kinds of words into my mouth. I said that the reality is, that yes it makes people discredit them because they are telling people what not to say. And in this instance there is a large group of people who think this is trivial and harmless.

If you want to look at it from another organizations viewpoint, look at PETA. They have a good cause. But because of the way they go about it, pushing causes that many people view as trivial, many people tend to discredit them (and view them as nutjobs).

Plumbob

MIMIC said:
People who eavesdrop hear things out of context?

More like, faggot isn't ACTUALLY a synonym for asshole. Otherwise gay people would be okay with being called a faggot because of the second meaning. But of course, that's just a bizarre fantasy.

Sutton Dagger said:

There's an association in being white and having a privileged mentality; and I'd argue that can still apply if a person is gay and white, handicapped and white, etc. But that's simply my opinion.

Jerk

Banned
Sutton Dagger said:

Huh?

I am pretty sure that the point is that it is harder for a straight white male to truly empathise with stuff like this because he completely lacks perspective.

Of course it is not completely true at all, but the essence of the point is somewhat valid.

UrokeJoe

This whole topic offends me. What a bunch of political correct pussies we have become. So many more real issues and this is so petty. I just want to run down the street naked yelling nonsense just for the effect of contributing nothing ...

Joates

Banned
Monocle said:

No youre missing my point. Peoples association with the word do play a key role. If a bunch of friends use the word faggot and it offends none of the group, should they be offended by it? Should they stop using it if they are using it simply amongst themselves?

Or is the meaning still the same regardless of what the speaker and audience interpret them?

Plumbob said:
More like, faggot isn't ACTUALLY a synonym for asshole. Otherwise gay people would be okay with being called a faggot because of the second meaning. But of course, that's just a bizarre fantasy.

Or it could ACTUALLY mean both to different people. Just because it can mean asshole doesnt mean it cant mean a gay slur. Double meanings and double standards. Whats a hoe anyways?

Jerk said:
I used to think so too, and never corrected my room mate when he used to make a racial slur against blacks.

Then he started saying shit like "The black man is the source of all of societie's problems."

It is only then I realise that what I had given him was license to be a racist prick.

Now, I am not saying that we let being PC dictate all that we say and think, but at the same time, I do not believe that we should completely abstain from making out thoughts known when people say stuff like this.

There is a huge difference between calling someone a nigger and someone a fag though. You cannot say the word nigger without being extremely aware of what you're saying and where it comes from. The word fag has duel meanings and uses. If someone has no intention in their mind as to putting someone down by calling them a homosexual, then that is different. And of course saying the black man is the source of problems is taking to another level. But even still, is he racist in action? Does he truly think black people are inferior? Because if he does I doubt it's because he got away with saying racial slurs.

Sutton Dagger said:
I think the entire point of this thread should be that no matter your race/sex/sexual preference/characteristics of birth, you don't deserve to be abused. The 'who has been victimised more' card isn't really a good argument, bigotry is bigotry.

He's saying a white hetero male is often the most privileged, especially in contemporary American society. And that a lot of the time, a white hetero male sees the world as zero sum, and any loss of privilege as an attack against him and he lashes out. It's harder to see the effects of racism, sexism and homophobia if as the privileged combination, you rarely have to deal with any of it.

You can basically act like they don't exist and ignore those who implore you to see things from their angle, which in fact many people tend to do.

The "it's not a big deal" is something heard quite often by minorities from privileged folks who don't have to deal with the ever present realities of being marginalized. And it doesn't have to be overt discrimination either, the little things add up to make their every day existence a war against the status quo.

But people like me, mostly white and upper middle class can go about our day as if this is not an ever present reality because we don't have to deal with it. It takes work to separate yourself from your privilege and realize it in full terms.

lexi

Banned
And in this instance there is a large group of people who think this is trivial and harmless.

It must just be a coincidence that people who think this is trivial are all hetero-normative males who really just don't give a shit about offending gay people, and make such bullshit protestations that faggot means something different these days, and gay people shouldn't be offended by its usage.

I do love coincidences.

Marius_ said:
No, I didn't. My reply was to Gaborn on his comment why others are trying to justify the usage of the word. Me quoting you that first time wasn't even meant for you.

And Gaborn was talking about me and Joates.

So you admit you quoted me by accident then? Either way you still quoted me which meant you were directing your words to me and I responded. I just think you weren't happy with it because you were proven wrong.

Koodo

Banned
PhoenixDark said:
There's an association in being white and having a privileged mentality; and I'd argue that can still apply if a person is gay and white, handicapped and white, etc. But that's simply my opinion.
Race isn't the only factor where there is privilege. Indeed, a white gay male can be ignorant to race issues, just like a black straight male can be ignorant to sexual orientation issues, and just like both can be ignorant to gender issues.

Usually though, the more discriminated you are, the more likely you are to be aware of not just the lack of privilege in your circumstances, but in the circumstances of others as well. This is all simply due to the fact that you are already thinking "outside the box" and can also relate in a way to other forms of discrimination.

Orayn

UrokeJoe said:
This whole topic offends me. What a bunch of political correct pussies we have become. So many more real issues and this is so petty. I just want to run down the street naked yelling nonsense just for the effect of contributing nothing ...
Surely that would prove your maturity and the validity of your position.

Jerk said:
Huh?

I am pretty sure that the point is that it is harder for a straight white male to truly empathise with stuff like this because he completely lacks perspective.

Of course it is not completely true at all, but the essence of the point is somewhat valid.

yea white people really feel left out and have a complex about 'suffering' because everyone else was born into a reason to feel bad but they are born with privelage. thats why you get the 'white people are the most discriminated against' and militant PC and awareness campaigns that they try to start all the time.

MIMIC

Banned
LizardKing said:
There is a huge difference between calling someone a nigger and someone a fag though. You cannot say the word nigger without being extremely aware of what you're saying and where it comes from. The word fag has duel meanings and uses. If someone has no intention in their mind as to putting someone down by calling them a homosexual, then that is different. And of course saying the black man is the source of problems is taking to another level. But even still, is he racist in action? Does he truly think black people are inferior? Because if he does I doubt it's because he got away with saying racial slurs.

People like to pretend that "nigger" some sort of innocuous double-meaning (or that some people "don't know" what it means) in order to make analogies.

the other day my cousin was like

"i think it's more racist for a white dude to say nigga than it is for him to say nigger"

and i stopped and thought about it, and realized he might be right. that's how much power words have over our collective consciousness. even those who would never subscribe to racism or any kind of discrimination are unable to make points without being labelled certain things, even if they truly know in their heart that they are pro civil rights and equality.

i feel like the further a select few get to actual enlightenment and understanding, the further a greater few slip towards ignorance. and to be clear, the words people use are not to blame.

PhoenixDark said:

As a reasoned, logical and empathetic human being, it isn't hard for me to understand, especially considering my fiance' is Aboriginal (Australian) and I have seen first hand how bigotry effects people.

Do I recognise that as a white Australian I intrinsically hold more 'cultural capital' (it's an education term) than Indigenous Australians, yes, can I try my hardest to reconcile these differences and 'close the gap' (Australian political term)? Well as a school teacher I believe I can have a positive effect, by being educated about the struggles faced by minorities and how to combat such things.

Sutton Dagger said:
As a reasoned, logical and empathetic human being, it isn't hard for me to understand, especially considering my fiance' is Aboriginal (Australian) and I have seen first hand how bigotry effects people.

Do I recognise that as a white Australian I intrinsically hold more 'cultural capital' (it's an education term) than Indigenous Australians, yes, can I try my hardest to reconcile these differences and 'close the gap' (Australian political term)? Well as a school teacher I believe I can have a positive effect, by being educated about the struggles faced by minorities and how to combat such things.

Then Zephyr's words shouldn't offend you really, if you can recognize your privilege and use it in a way that helps marginalized folks.

Plumbob

Joates said:
Or it could ACTUALLY mean both to different people. Just because it can mean asshole doesnt mean it cant mean a gay slur. Double meanings and double standards. Whats a hoe anyways?

ITT fantasy scenarios:
I'm not a racist. But I strongly associate the N word with "bad person," for whatever reason. So sometimes I'll call my friends the N word and they'll accuse me of racism. But then I clarify "it's okay, words mean different things to different people. When I use the N word, it means "bad person," not the racial pejorative." They completely understand. One of my friends thinks it's really absurd that I am not a racist, but facts are facts, ladies and gentlemen. I have no prejudice against black people. Except when they act like n*****s.

MIMIC

Banned
Plumbob said:
ITT fantasy scenarios:
I'm not a racist. But I strongly associate the N word with "bad person," for whatever reason. So sometimes I'll call my friends the N word and they'll accuse me of racism. But then I clarify "it's okay, words mean different things to different people. When I use the N word, it means "bad person," not the racial pejorative." They completely understand. One of my friends thinks it's really absurd that I am not a racist, but facts are facts, ladies and gentlemen. I have no prejudice against black people. Except when they act like n*****s.

Fantasy, indeed.

Dr. Malik

FlatAss_
ChocolateCupcakes said:
And Gaborn was talking about me and Joates.

So you admit you quoted me by accident then? Either way you still quoted me which meant you were directing your words to me and I responded. I just think you weren't happy with it because you were proven wrong.

Sigh, the only reason I quoted you was because I was too lazy to type that Kobe has many fans, which as the public figure that he is, he should keep watch of what comes out of his mouth.

I had no idea who Gaborn was commenting on, I basically assumed it was those who were justifying its usage. My comment wasn't aimed at you if you had already said you dont promote its usage which looking back you had, two post before me.

Seriously its all in the last page

Mumei

MIMIC said:
People like to pretend that "nigger" some sort of innocuous double-meaning (or that some people "don't know" what it means) in order to make analogies.

"In the United Kingdom and the Anglophone world, nigger denoted the dark-skinned (non-white) African and Asian (i.e., from India or nearby) peoples colonized into the British Empire, and "dark-skinned foreigners" — in general. In A Dictionary of Modern English Usage (1926), H. W. Fowler states that applying the word nigger to "others than full or partial negroes" is "felt as an insult by the person described, & betrays in the speaker, if not deliberate insolence, at least a very arrogant inhumanity"; this anti-racist linguistic prescription was deleted from the later editions of Fowler’s Dictionary."

Pre-20th century

Edit: In case it wasn't clear, the point was that the word didn't always had the exact same meaning it has today.

Jerk said:
Ehh, I am a bit leery of the word 'privilege'...

Never really liked it in this context.

Why? If anything it's the best way to explain various inequalities that people can't really help but can try to work against.

Monocle

Joates said:
No youre missing my point. Peoples association with the word do play a key role. If a bunch of friends use the word faggot and it offends none of the group, should they be offended by it? Should they stop using it if they are using it simply amongst themselves?

Or is the meaning still the same regardless of what the speaker and audience interpret them?
The meaning of a slur in the wider context of society doesn't magically disappear just because some guy and his derphead posse decide that the slur doesn't offend them personally.

Are you aware of the way common insults function? Person A takes a term that represents something society considers wrong or bad or dirty and applies it to Person B, thus shifting to Person B the negative associations linked to the thing that term represents. Let's look at a list of common insults and the main things they represent. Notice the associations that come to mind as you read them, and see if you can spot a pattern.

fucker - one who engages in sexual intercourse
shit - excrement
asshole - eliminatory orifice
bitch - female dog
cunt - female genitalia
dick - male genitalia
cocksucker - one who performs oral sex
faggot - effeminate male homosexual

These terms are insulting because of what they mean or originally meant. Asshole may be a generic insult, but the reason it's insulting is because people regard the anus's excretory function as dirty. Even if faggot were a generic insult, as you claim, the reason it would be insulting is because of its original association with a gay male stereotype, which many people, straight men in particular, perceive to be repulsive and unnatural.

I'm about to be real with you all.

Nigga (without the "ER". very important) and faggot, I say them both, but never in the way they were originally intended, towards the people they were intended for. Never in a million years. I say "that's gay" as well. I don't hate blacks or gays.

Back when prop 8 was being voted on, there was a big hotel owner (can't remember which one) in my city who endorsed a lot of money into prop 8, which was the anti-gay proposition to ban gay marriage.

The gay community boycotted his hotels, which was where they held a lot of their meetings and events.

This went on for days and being that I'm not a prop 8 supporter, I was pissed that the guy would do something like that to begin with.

About a week later, the news reported that the hotel owner decided to put money into the gay community as a way of getting their business back, but still supported prop 8. This was such a weasel move it sickened me to my stomach. I stood up and started to walk away and muttered to myself, "fucking faggot". When I thought about it, It kind of surprised me that I was calling a straight guy a faggot in defense of a gay person, but that's how the word works in my world.

Nigga doesn't mean black to me. Faggot doesn't mean homosexual to me.

Nigga is anybody and everybody. My girlfriend is white. We've been together over nine years. She is my best friend. She's my partner. She's my nigga.

This fucking slimy bastard that voted yes on an anti-gay rights bill, then turn around and try to pander to the same group he just put money into harming, is a fucking faggot and not the gay dude he was probably calling a faggot when he handed the check over to his homophobic, faggot friends.

So with all that said, I believe it's important to keep these words alive. Let the meanings naturally change shape the way most words eventually do. This will take all the power out of the original meaning of these words and with that, take the power out of the people who would try to harm us with them. You getting butt hurt and wanting to bury the words out of existence is keeping them strong so that it stings every time you hear them, no matter if they're aimed at you or not.

MIMIC said:

Yeah that's bullshit. I doubt there is a word in the english language that carries as much weight as nigger. Especially as a white person calling someone that. (Although of course someone can still use it without racist intentions, it's just everybody knows the weight of it)

Marius_ said:
Sigh, the only reason I quoted you was because I was too lazy to type that Kobe has many fans, which as the public figure that he is, he should keep watch of what comes out of his mouth.

I had no idea who Gaborn was commenting on, I basically assumed it was those who were justifying its usage. My comment wasn't aimed at you if you had already said you dont promote its usage which looking back you had two post before me.

Seriously its all in the last page

Not matter how you look at it is was aimed at me whether it was indirect or not. And the reason why I said the usage isn't justified was because Gaborn was talking about me and I wanted to make things clear.

Koodo

Banned
LizardKing said:
And how do you think the world nigger transformed into a word where people are "extremely aware of what [they're] saying and where it comes from?" The word was clearly commonplace and had dual (triple, quadruple, etc) meanings in the past. It certainly didn't transform into the spoken stigma it is today out of complacency by letting it be "less" wrong in some contexts and "more" wrong in other contexts.

Gaborn

Joates said:
No words should be banned from usage. Just because a word offends people doesnt mean it should never be used. Its a word. A label. Another word would fill its place and everything would continue with the status quo until the underlying ideas about the groups are changed. Just my opinion.

Nobody is talking about "banning words." What people are saying is it is VERY well established and for good solid reason that you should not use "faggot" as a slur because it IS a slur that has more consequence than whoever you're attacking with it.

Devolution said:
He's saying a white hetero male is often the most privileged, especially in contemporary American society. And that a lot of the time, a white hetero male sees the world as zero sum, and any loss of privilege as an attack against him and he lashes out. It's harder to see the effects of racism, sexism and homophobia if as the privileged combination, you rarely have to deal with any of it.

You can basically act like they don't exist and ignore those who implore you to see things from their angle, which in fact many people tend to do.

The "it's not a big deal" is something heard quite often by minorities from privileged folks who don't have to deal with the ever present realities of being marginalized. And it doesn't have to be overt discrimination either, the little things add up to make their every day existence a war against the status quo.

But people like me, mostly white and upper middle class can go about our day as if this is not an ever present reality because we don't have to deal with it. It takes work to separate yourself from your privilege and realize it in full terms.

Good post. Though ignorance of the suffering of minority groups is unfortunately not just demonstrated by those in the majority. I'm amazed to see some black minority groups openly profess their distaste of the gay and lesbian community...Where was their perspective? Ignorance and bigotry certainly can't be distilled down to one group, majority or minority, and the accusations of 'lack of perspective' don't do anything but create more division.

malyce

Dark Octave said:
I'm about to be real with you all.

Nigga (without the "ER". very important) and faggot, I say them both, but never in the way they were originally intended, towards the people they were intended for. Never in a million years. I say "that's gay" as well. I don't hate blacks or gays.

Back when prop 8 was being voted on, there was a big hotel owner (can't remember which one) in my city who endorsed a lot of money into prop 8, which was the anti-gay proposition to ban gay marriage.

The gay community boycotted his hotels, which was where they held a lot of their meetings and events.

This went on for days and being that I'm not a prop 8 supporter, I was pissed that the guy would do something like that to begin with.

About a week later, the news reported that the hotel owner decided to put money into the gay community as a way of getting their business back, but still supported prop 8. This was such a weasel move it sickened me to my stomach. I stood up and started to walk away and muttered to myself, "fucking faggot". When I thought about it, It kind of surprised me that I was calling a straight guy a faggot in defense of a gay person, but that's how the word works in my world.

Nigga doesn't mean black to me. Faggot doesn't mean homosexual to me.

Nigga is anybody and everybody. My girlfriend is white. We've been together over nine years. She is my best friend. She's my partner. She's my nigga.

This fucking slimy bastard that voted yes on an anti-gay rights bill, then turn around and try to pander to the same group he just put money into harming, is a fucking faggot and not the gay dude he was probably calling a faggot when he handed the check over to his homophobic, faggot friends.

So with all that said, I believe it's important to keep these words alive. Let the meanings naturally change shape the way most words eventually do. This will take all the power out of the original meaning of these words and with that, take the power out of the people who would try to harm us with them. You getting butt hurt and wanting to bury the words out of existence is keeping them strong so that it stings every time you hear them, no matter if they're aimed at you or not.
lmao *dying* @ the bolded

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom