• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kobe Bryant slinging homophobic slur during nationally televised NBA game

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tom Penny

numble said:
Fixed. I don't know why they hold Kobe to a higher standard--Kobe was indicted for rape, but he gets this and also crap for doing an ad for Turkish Airlines. While KG is openly racist against Europeans, his largest sponsor is a Chinese company with Chinese government ties, and throwing slurs is what he's known for.

KG blatantly said Fucing F**ggots to the Cleveland or Chicago crowd in the middle of the court when they slow mo'd to a commercial durng the playoffs and nobody cared. They did care that he's cancerfobic though...

Kalnos

Banned
Kinitari said:
See what I mean? Every page, multiple times a page. Grow thicker skin. Stop being so sensitive. Why conform to the reality when I want to change the reality? I do not want this word, or any slurs being thrown around, I do not want it to be the norm. I am glad now that Kobe said it - because look at what it's leading to, more than just the Lakers co-operation with particular groups, it leads to discussion - and fucking important discussion I think.

Not enough cynicism in this post for my tastes.

Dead Man

Wazzim said:
You can't stop some people from using slurs, people will always use them in one way or another.

Good for you.
That's right, fuckhead. Wait, did that slip out? Shit, I'm sorry if that offended you.

Edit: Gah, fuck this shit, have fun, I'm off to do something productive for a while.

Satyamdas

Banned
Dead Man said:
I think it is more the societal acceptance of words like faggot that causes resignation. At least recently there is pretty much universal consensus that nigger and other racial words are not acceptable. This thread shows there is no such consensus for faggot or other sexual words.
Neither word is "acceptable", but they will both be said for as long as english speaking humans populate this planet. So you can either wait for society to become completely enlightened and never say those mean words again, or you can take it upon yourself to not give a fuck about what some dumb ass person says as an insult. I'm not expecting much of either to happen. I'm pretty resigned to the fact that people have no desire to rise above their emotional responses. I don't expect us to engage our logic and reasoning to a greater degree any time soon.

Kinitari said:
I respect your position, and I understand exactly what you are trying to say. You wish people had power over words, had the ability to turn off offence like you can. But it doesn't happen, and it will never happen that way.
I'm sorry dude, but you are just plain wrong on this. It DOES happen that way, for me and many others. I am not the only one with the ability to not be offended by words. It is not some superpower that is not available to anyone but me. It requires a level of introspection and detachment from emotions that most people are not willing to bother with, but you are flat out incorrect to say that it is impossible.

Kinitari said:
And maybe a tone of defeat is a good way of describing it, but I'd rather say I am confronting the reality of the situation rather than looking at an idealized impossibility. I believe we can make the word Faggot as taboo as nigger or wetback or kike if we try, I don't think we could ever make it so everyone or even the majority of people had the control over their emotional attachment to words as you do.
The word faggot already is as taboo as nigger. People dislike hearing it, and it causes just as much discomfort and awkwardness as hearing someone say nigger in public. But just like nigger is the ultimate taboo word and is still being said every day, so too will faggot be said no matter how taboo the word becomes.

And why will they still be said? To goad emotional responses out of people, to rile them up, to insult, etc. Since the words will never disappear, it is incumbent upon the recipient of the word to not let himself be manipulated by it but to instead shrug it off and refuse to get in the mud with the person slinging the insult. There will never be a day when these terrible words are erased from language, or when society is so perfectly enlightened that they will never say terrible and hateful things. So taking control of one's response to hearing them seems a practical thing to do. Again, I have no illusions about people's willingness to control their emotions, so I neither expect this to happen nor advocate for it. It's just what makes sense to me.

numble

Tom Penny said:
KG blatantly said Fucing F**ggots to the Cleveland or Chicago crowd in the middle of the court when they slow mo'd to a commercial durng the playoffs and nobody cared. They did care that he's cancerfobic though...
He didn't get punished for making fun of Charlie Villanueva's disease, and he's never been punished for all the mocking he's done to white players, either. Including getting into physical fights with his white teammates at Minnesota. But people are throwing conspiracy theories that Kobe would've been suspended but for the playoffs.

Blair

Banned
Dead Man said:
Being angry does not mean you lose control of what you say unless you are a pathetic person.

Its a crap word and it should be nuked from orbit (fortunatly in england nobody uses it) but we ALL say things we regret in the heat of the moment.

I would agree with you if you said 'saying faggot while angry makes you pathetic'

Tom Penny

Satyamdas said:
The word faggot already is as taboo as nigger. People dislike hearing it, and it causes just as much discomfort and awkwardness as hearing someone say nigger in public. But just like nigger is the ultimate taboo word and is still being said every day, so too will faggot be said no matter how taboo the word becomes.

No it not. I hear people call people fags and faggot all the time and nobody cares. It's basically a term for calling someone soft. I don't talk to any of my black friends and say stop being a stupid fucking nigger..shit doesn't work like that.

Dead Man

Satyamdas said:
Neither word is "acceptable", but they will both be said for as long as english speaking humans populate this planet. So you can either wait for society to become completely enlightened and never say those mean words again, or you can take it upon yourself to not give a fuck about what some dumb ass person says as an insult. I'm not expecting much of either to happen. I'm pretty resigned to the fact that people have no desire to rise above their emotional responses. I don't expect us to engage our logic and reasoning to a greater degree any time soon.
Just a couple quick responses before I do bail out for a while. Yeah, I get that, what I am talking about is many other slurs that ARE widely acknowledged as being unacceptable, so even if you hear them it makes them easier to shrug off, since the persons saying them is an outlier. With this situation, it seems as if about one third of the people I have spoken with, IRL on and here, seem to think it is acceptable to say, and some of the others think it is rude, but only like calling someone an arsehole. Shit is depressing.
Blair said:
Its a crap word and it should be nuked from orbit (fortunatly in england nobody uses it) but we ALL say things we regret in the heat of the moment.

I would agree with you if you said 'saying faggot while angry makes you pathetic'
True enough, I guess.
Tom Penny said:
No it not. I hear people call people fags and faggot all the time and nobody cares. It's basically a term for calling someone soft. I don't talk to any of my black friends and say stop being a stupid fucking nigger..shit doesn't work like that.
*sigh* See, Satyamdas, this is the shit I am talking about. Not the specific comparison to nigger, but the ignorance and casual statement that being gay is wrong.

Satyamdas

Banned
Tom Penny said:
I'm talking about people who are not used to hearing those words being said regularly. To their more sensitive ears both words are equally disgusting and unacceptable. To the majority of adults, hearing either word is offensive. Both words are taboo, and just because you hear one more than the other doesn't make it any less so.

dehydratedbabies said:
This story is boring.

A famous and extremely wealthy professional gamer became angry while playing a game and shouted "Fucking faggot!" at a referee. Said game was televised, as most games he plays are, so many people saw this occur. The NBA fined the player $100,000, either because they have rules of etiquette that this player broke, or because they wanted to appease groups like GLAAD and the FCC. The player, who makes $302,515 per regular season game, doesn't want to pay the fine.

If you think Kobe Bryant is an asshole for his actions then stop watching him play basketball on television and stop contributing to his wealth. If you actually care, that is. Otherwise, why are you talking about this?

Because of children? The children watching either had no idea what he mouthed, or they hear "fucking faggot", among many other slang insults, at school or in movies or on the streets on a regular basis. Kobe Bryant is, again, a wealthy professional gamer. If he is your child's hero, know that you child idolizes a man who gets paid massive amounts of money to play games, and contributes little to society other than entertainment to some basketball enthusiasts (he also likely gives some of his fortune to charity). And if you're worried about kids verbally bullying more homosexual kids because of Kobe Bryant's apparent approval, you should consider why we're allowing Kobe Bryant to parent our children.

Because of homosexuals? Kobe Bryant shouted "fucking faggot" in anger. Even if Kobe Bryant utterly hates homosexual humans, why do you care? Why does that offend you? Why are you giving anyone the power to hurt you by speaking a word? Faggot has multiple meanings, one of which is slang: homosexual. Consider the ridiculousness of being offended by the use of a word like faggot. "Fucking faggot" can mean "fucking bundle of sticks", or "fucking bundle of dicks", or "fucking cigarette". It can also mean "fucking homosexual". You've probably said motherfucker because of anger in the past, but I doubt that you were actually referring to a mother being fucked when you said it. Freedom of speech is the freedom to say what you want without censorship. Kobe Bryant wanted to say "fucking faggot", and so he did. The NBA has the right to fine and thus censor him because they run the league that he plays in. You have the right to like what he said or dislike what he said, and support him or not, because you are a free human. But Kobe Bryant isn't different from any other human on this planet, and he shouldn't be treated like he is. You don't know him, and will probably never meet him. He is as significant to you as an anonymous bigot in China.

Again, why do you care about this? The only actual matters behind this story, or rather the overall reaction to this story, are societal problems that have nothing to do with basketball or Kobe Bryant and everything to do with parenting and education. Let's talk about transforming public education in the United Sates, and about being better parents. Let's not talk about Kobe Bryant's temper, because it is a dull, ridiculous topic.

Meanwhile, the United States government is fucking the lower and middle class in their asses.

Check out the Rick Crom poker scene from Louie Louie's 2nd episode for a little bit of background on how 'faggot' came to be the term for 'a bundle of sticks'.

EDIT: Since the video is not on youtube, I'll just tell you. Puritans used to burn witches. They would also burn homosexuals but considered them to be so disgraceful that they weren't even worth the logs of wood needed for a fire. So, instead, they used kindling and "a bunch of sticks" to make the fire to burn the homosexuals.

kehs

Banned
Bloodbeard said:
Check out the Rick Crom poker scene from Louie Louie's 2nd episode for a little bit of background on how 'faggot' came to be the term for 'a bundle of sticks'.

EDIT: Since the video is not on youtube, I'll just tell you. Puritans used to burn witches. They would also burn homosexuals but considered them to be so disgraceful that they weren't even worth the logs of wood needed for a fire. So, instead, they used kindling and "a bunch of sticks" to make the fire to burn the homosexuals.

http://www.ebaumnation.com/2010/01/27/louis-ck-faggot

Kinitari

Black Canada Mafia
Satyamdas said:
I'm sorry dude, but you are just plain wrong on this. It DOES happen that way, for me and many others. I am not the only one with the ability to not be offended by words. It is not some superpower that is not available to anyone but me. It requires a level of introspection and detachment from emotions that most people are not willing to bother with, but you are flat out incorrect to say that it is impossible.

Did I say it was impossible on the individual basis? I didn't, I specifically said it would never become the norm, not even half of people will ever get there.

Absolutely incorrect. If faggot was as taboo as nigger, you wouldn't have people in this thread defending Kobe's use of it, you wouldn't have people using it all over, as easy as anything to insult someone. This is wrong, and you know it.

And why will they still be said? To goad emotional responses out of people, to rile them up, to insult, etc. Since the words will never disappear, it is incumbent upon the recipient of the word to not let himself be manipulated by it but to instead shrug it off and refuse to get in the mud with the person slinging the insult. There will never be a day when these terrible words are erased from language, or when society is so perfectly enlightened that they will never say terrible and hateful things. So taking control of one's response to hearing them seems a practical thing to do. Again, I have no illusions about people's willingness to control their emotions, so I neither expect this to happen nor advocate for it. It's just what makes sense to me.

I do not expect faggot to ever disappear in it's entirety, I don't have as lofty goals such as that. I would agree that a measure of control over ones emotions would be ideal, but it doesn't happen - like you said yourself - on any important scale, and it can't. Sometimes the most casual things said to me, devoid of insult or slur can hurt me more than any use of the word nigger or faggot or the combination of the like. I can't fight that, and I can't do anything about that - but if I can make a few more people consider removing 'faggot' from their vernacular, I will be happy. You assume I have much more impressive goals than I do - I can't change the world, but if I can do a bit of good I'm happy.

If faggot ever becomes as taboo as nigger, then I'll be even happier.

Satyamdas said:
I'm talking about people who are not used to hearing those words being said regularly. To their more sensitive ears both words are equally disgusting and unacceptable. To the majority of adults, hearing either word is offensive. Both words are taboo, and just because you hear one more than the other doesn't make it any less so.

That's not what taboo means. You're thinking of the word 'offensive'. A taboo is when a society of sorts decides that a certain thing shouldn't be done. There is a taboo on using the word nigger as an insult - there is no such taboo on faggot, or if there is one, it is mild in comparison. Both words are just as 'offensive' but not just as 'taboo'.

Tom Penny said:

The word sticks to some people more than others, and I'd guarantee you that those people care.

Effemiphobia and homophobia are joint issues, and the insult directly reflects that as it happens to be used for both. I guess stigmatizing effeminacy is okay, or some kind of acceptable sacrificial goat in reinforcing one's own masculinity in comparison? Never mind that petty cruelty makes one less of a man, not more of one, at least by any measure of manhood that matters.

That this word is directed disproportionately at 'queer' seeming kids in particular (regardless of sexuality, as most kids don't have any sexuality to speak of) is representative of a problem. A good chunk of these kids will probably grow up to be gay, a good chunk probably won't, but for either of these groups (and the gay ones in particular) the word will always carry a rather clear meaning.

As long as the word carries a stigma, it will reflect poorly on the implied worthiness of homosexuality, since all of it's derogatory meanings are traced directly back to that.

Satyamdas

Banned
Kinitari said:
Did I say it was impossible on the individual basis? I didn't, I specifically said it would never become the norm, not even half of people will ever get there.
And your post is a great example as to why. It reeks of resignation as if attempting to control one's emotional responses is futile. Your sentiment is shared by the vast majority of people, so this is not an attack against you personally. I just recoil at the defeatist mindset in general.

Kinitari said:
Absolutely incorrect. If faggot was as taboo as nigger, you wouldn't have people in this thread defending Kobe's use of it, you wouldn't have people using it all over, as easy as anything to insult someone. This is wrong, and you know it.
Really? The ULTIMATE SUPREME TABOO WORD™ is still thrown around all over, every day, by kids and adults alike. If nigger is SO MUCH MORE TABOO than faggot, why do I hear/read nigger so constantly??

Kinitari said:
I do not expect faggot to ever disappear in it's entirety, I don't have as lofty goals such as that. I would agree that a measure of control over ones emotions would be ideal, but it doesn't happen - like you said yourself - on any important scale, and it can't. Sometimes the most casual things said to me, devoid of insult or slur can hurt me more than any use of the word nigger or faggot or the combination of the like. I can't fight that, and I can't do anything about that - but if I can make a few more people consider removing 'faggot' from their vernacular, I will be happy. You assume I have much more impressive goals than I do - I can't change the world, but if I can do a bit of good I'm happy.

If faggot ever becomes as taboo as nigger, then I'll be even happier.
See, this is what I'm talking about. You "can't" fight that? That is fucking bullshit. You CAN fight it but you don't want to. Most people don't want to. And that is fine, it's every individual's prerogative to respond to something in any way they want to.

But I think more good is done by people learning to control their base emotional responses than by lessening the amount of utterances a particular word is said or by assigning some arbitrary measure of "taboo-ness" to different words. Because not only does not responding to hateful words rob them of their power, but controlling your emotions can also be helpful in a million different areas unrelated to epithet usage. If a person can control their response to nigger and faggot, then when nigger and faggot are phased out and replaced by a new epithet, they will be able to shrug the new word off just as easily.

Basically you are professing your subordinate position relative to words. You are trapped beneath these all powerful things and their power over you is absolute, so your solution to the harm they cause you is to somehow lessen their occurrence. I got news for you, bro. Not gonna happen.

Satyamdas said:
See, this is what I'm talking about. You "can't" fight that? That is fucking bullshit. You CAN fight it but you don't want to. Most people don't want to. And that is fine, it's every individual's prerogative to respond to something in any way they want to.

But I think more good is done by people learning to control their base emotional responses than by lessening the amount of utterances a particular word is said or by assigning some arbitrary measure of "taboo-ness" to different words. Because not only does not responding to hateful words rob them of their power, but controlling your emotions can also be helpful in a million different areas unrelated to epithet usage. If a person can control their response to nigger and faggot, then when nigger and faggot are phased out and replaced by a new epithet, they will be able to shrug the new word off just as easily.

Basically you are professing your subordinate position relative to words. You are trapped beneath these all powerful things and their power over you is absolute, so your solution to the harm they cause you is to somehow lessen their occurrence. I got news for you, bro. Not gonna happen.

You can't control a base emotional response, you can only control how you interpret or process said base emotional response. And people have varying levels of sensitivity. You can encourage people to be less sensitive, but all you're doing is causing them to interpret their feelings differently, the feelings themselves are the same. You can argue that such sensitivity is less practical because being hurt by the insensitivity of others is a fact of life, and you'd be right, but that doesn't invalidate the initial response at all. People internalize things at different levels and in different ways, and this is a problem of internalization, that's why many gay people still struggle with a kind of internalized homophobia, which is probably why gay teens are more likely to commit suicide.

I agree we shouldn't let the actions of others govern our behavior, and how we respond to these things, but at the same time we have to be careful. No response at all is as bad as a disproportionately negative response, because that can often imply that it's perfectly okay.

Londa said:
Where are the Oppression Olympic Police when you need them? Oh, wait... they only come out when it benefits them.
I thought you'd be too busy looking out for number 1 to post in this thread again. From what you've posted, it seems like it's tough work being so disinterested in the well being of other people. My heart goes out to you.

Kinitari

Black Canada Mafia
Satyamdas said:
And your post is a great example as to why. It reeks of resignation as if attempting to control one's emotional responses is futile. Your sentiment is shared by the vast majority of people, so this is not an attack against you personally. I just recoil at the defeatist mindset in general.

*shrug* I don't see a need to argue this particular point with you, I completely respect your position, but you know as well as I that it can never ever be that way.

Really? The ULTIMATE SUPREME TABOO WORD™ is still thrown around all over, every day, by kids and adults alike. If nigger is SO MUCH MORE TABOO than faggot, why do I hear/read nigger so constantly??

In a fight, call someone a faggot, then in another fight call someone a nigger. It's not the same thing. Maybe it's because I am black, but the only people I really hear using the word nigger a lot are other black people. That's not how it works for faggot, I hear it all the fucking time.

It's not bullshit, It's more than in my power to not have emotional investment in language used. It's not possible - if you had a traumatic experience that happened to you in your life, hypothetically, some guy ran over your dog right in front of you as a child. Then someone goes up to you and says "gonna run over you like I ran over your dog" or something along those lines, it will resonate with you, it will connect with you - you'll have an emotional flashback and you'll have some sort of response. This is how language works, it's not possible to get around that. We can shield ourselves a bit, we can never be immune.

Words are powerful, we can't change that. Nothing will ever change that. To deny the power of language is to deny politics, to deny speeches and catch phrases, to deny songs and poems and all the communication that comes with it. I could never hold an expectation where people could shield themselves from all negative language and shrug it off - people CAN fight it, people do. I know gay people don't break down and cry every time they hear the word faggot, or someone calls them a faggot - but it doesn't mean that I am happy with the word being used.

Is it resigning when I fight the only way I can, or is it resigning when I give up fighting and just accept that people will always slur? Which one really seems like I am resigning?

Satyamdas

Banned
umop_3pisdn said:
You can't control a base emotional response, you can only control how you interpret or process said base emotional response. And people have varying levels of sensitivity. You can encourage people to be less sensitive, but all you're doing is causing them to interpret their feelings differently, the feelings themselves are the same. You can argue that such sensitivity is less practical because being hurt by the insensitivity of others is a fact of life, and you'd be right, but that doesn't invalidate the initial response at all. People internalize things at different levels and in different ways, and this is a problem of internalization, that's why many gay people still struggle with a kind of internalized homophobia, which is probably why gay teens are more likely to commit suicide.
Actually, you CAN control a base emotional response. It requires a lot of conditioning and practice, but it is not an impossible feat. Swamis and ascetics for centuries have conditioned themselves to not be aroused at even the sight of a naked woman, and that is as primal and base a response as the human body has, going even deeper than emotions. We are able to control ourselves a bit more than you are giving credit for, even if such control is exceedingly rare to witness these days.

Now I do not expect nor advocate for people to learn this ability, because it is not a practical suggestion and is not something that is even attractive in the first place for most people, but it can be done. My only point has been that there does exist an alternate method to dealing with words which one may find objectionable other than subjugating one's self to them and flailing in vain to somehow have them erased or uttered less frequently.

I'm not saying that the way to deal with hatred and insults is for everyone to become an emotionless shell devoid of feelings and just take everything that is thrown at them. That is as unhelpful as it is impossible. Balance is key.

umop_3pisdn said:
I agree we shouldn't let the actions of others govern our behavior, and how we respond to these things, but at the same time we have to be careful. No response at all is as bad as a disproportionately negative response, because that can often imply that it's perfectly okay.
Agreed.

mavs

Kalnos said:
..and then a new word will take its place and the cycle will continue.

Well yes, the way some
old
people use the word 'blacks' is similar to the way people who aren't necessarily bigots use the word 'faggot'. It's more about how frequently the average joe displays casual prejudice (as opposed to the lunatics who will never give up hating some people) than the actual insult.

Satyamdas said:
Actually, you CAN control a base emotional response. It requires a lot of conditioning and practice, but it is not an impossible feat. Swamis and ascetics for centuries have conditioned themselves to not be aroused at even the sight of a naked woman, and that is as primal and base a response as the human body has, going even deeper than emotions. We are able to control ourselves a bit more than you are giving credit for, even if such control is exceedingly rare to witness these days.

Now I do not expect nor advocate for people to learn this ability, because it is not a practical suggestion and is not something that is even attractive in the first place for most people, but it can be done. My only point has been that there does exist an alternate method to dealing with words which one may find objectionable other than subjugating one's self to them and flailing in vain to somehow have them erased or uttered less frequently.

I'm not saying that the way to deal with hatred and insults is for everyone to become an emotionless shell devoid of feelings and just take everything that is thrown at them. That is as unhelpful as it is impossible. Balance is key.

I know, and I understand this point, I think at least as far as people's expectations have been colored, this point can seem insensitive, as it often seems to be used insensitively. Everyone has to take responsibility for themselves (and thus their feelings) but it's also true that it's easier for others to exercise consideration than it is for the individual to cultivate a more equanimous response towards insensitivity.

Really I was just adopting a simplified perspective for the purpose of argument, since such mental discipline isn't really relevant to this discussion and reflects a kind of individual commitment that most would balk at.

So the most practical response is a social response, at most we can only urge people to recognize the impact that their words have, I don't think anyone with realistic expectations is considering much else to be gained from this discussion.

Your point is valued, though, an individual interest of mine is the mental discipline of such yogis, etc, and I intend to cultivate such qualities myself, but that's beyond the purview of most.

Also, even just to touch on Maslow's hierarchy of needs (for an example), some forms of happiness (financial/security, social, etc) tend to take precedence over spiritual cultivation even within such spiritual philosophies, only because if these needs aren't met it makes successive development more difficult. That may not be entirely relevant to this discussion, though.

I'm glad that this thread teaches me over and over again that there is a ridiculous amount of people who honestly think faggot has evolved beyond a homosexual slur. It's honestly the saddest thing I've seen on GAF.

Londa

Banned
ZephyrFate said:
I'm glad that this thread teaches me over and over again that there is a ridiculous amount of people who honestly think faggot has evolved beyond a homosexual slur. It's honestly the saddest thing I've seen on GAF.

Kobe said fag, or faggot?

you know that fag is also something that is smoked?

kehs

Banned
ZephyrFate said:

It's almost like your fighting to preserve the exclusiveness of the insult.

scorcho said:
seriously dude, calling a specific poster a homophobe now?

Don't worry he's untouchable.

To clear up a misconception, a faggot isn't a cigarette in England, a fag is however.

Obviously faggot can also mean a kind of offal meatball but its also quite a common insult.

In fact amongst males in England, homophobic or indeed most slurs are used relatively often as a way of banter between friends (faggot, bender etc)

Maybe there is a degree of homophobia still ingraned into some people but I've never thought of people saying them being actually consciously homophobic, I recently became more aware of it as my sister came out 3 years ago.

To be honest, as a black gay person, the name calling quit hurting on a personal level after high school. Its shocking to hear grown assed people resort to name calling, but I don't take it personally anymore.

Kobe calling the ref a fucking faggot is no more surprising to me these days than the sun rising in the east. I, personally, believe that reacting to it lets them know that they can fuck with you.

Jeff Albertson said:
Don't worry he's untouchable.

To clear up a misconception, a faggot isn't a cigarette in England, a fag is however.

Obviously faggot can also mean a kind of offal meatball but its also quite a common insult.

In fact amongst males in England, homophobic or indeed most slurs are used relatively often as a way of banter between friends (faggot, bender etc)

Maybe there is a degree of homophobia still ingraned into some people but I've never thought of people saying them being actually consciously homophobic, I recently became more aware of it as my sister came out 3 years ago.

Few people are saying that people who use the word that way are homophobic. Generally the claim made is that it's always a hurtful word regardless of the intent, because whatever the negative connotations are in any instance that it is used, the origins can always be traced back to bigotry.

Satyamdas

Banned
Kinitari said:
It's not bullshit, It's more than in my power to not have emotional investment in language used. It's not possible - if you had a traumatic experience that happened to you in your life, hypothetically, some guy ran over your dog right in front of you as a child. Then someone goes up to you and says "gonna run over you like I ran over your dog" or something along those lines, it will resonate with you, it will connect with you - you'll have an emotional flashback and you'll have some sort of response. This is how language works, it's not possible to get around that. We can shield ourselves a bit, we can never be immune.
You have not tried to remove your emotional ties to language, so how do you know it is impossible?

Language is a tool, like a hammer. I am able to use language without an emotional attachment to it just as I am able to use a hammer without an emotional attachment to it. And like a hammer, the tool of language can be used to bludgeon and cause harm. I don't deny that. All I'm saying is that in the case of language, it isn't like the hammer where you cannot avoid the physical harm of it hitting you. With language, YOU DO have a degree of control over how much it affects you. How much control you have is up to you.

Sometimes the most trite and cliched sayings are the most accurate. Sticks and stones......

Kinitari said:
Words are powerful, we can't change that. Nothing will ever change that.
Wrong. We can change that. We do it all the time. Words are powerful because we give them power. They are not earthquakes or tsunamis. They aren't powerful forces of nature which exist outside of our control. They have power solely due to our emotional ties to them and the sentiments they express, not because they stand on their own in nature as some immutable physical force. Since we imbue words with their power by our reactions to them, we do have control over it.

If tomorrow everyone decided to totally shrug off the word nigger as if it was alien speak, and those who said it got no response from anyone, how long do you think the word would continue to be used?? It would have zero effect on anyone, would not produce the desired emotional response, and would therefore become a useless and powerless word overnight. Even in this hypothetical scenario nigger would still be used by certain people to refer to other people, but it's usage as an insult would quickly discontinue because it would be ineffective. This would be a clear example of changing the power of words. It will not happen, but not because removing power from words is impossible. It won't happen because people are not interested in controlling their emotions, or they think it can't be done, as you have suggested.

The power of words are not held within the word itself, or the sound that is made when they are spoken. It is in the speaker knowing that you are emotionally tied to the word and that by uttering it they are basically pushing a button which zaps you. A button which you cannot turn off. That is where the power comes from, whether it be an uplifting speech which moves you to tears, or a hate filled rant which hurts you deeply. We DO have the ability to turn that button on and off. We just choose not to.

Londa

Banned
ZephyrFate said:
Newsflash: America.

Because American's only know the English language

krypt0nian said:
Yes, brainiac. He called the ref something that is smoked because he was mad.

Why would the ref want to be called something that gets burned with fire and sucked of all its air?

Sai-kun

Banned
Londa said:
Then those Spanish and French classes are English classes in disguise. Oh well, it was only public school.

We're talking about AMERICAN English. Nobody who speaks American English calls a cig a fag. Nobody.

Satyamdas said:
Also, it was cool to see ZephyrFate appropriate the civil rights struggle blacks suffered in the 50s for his own cause in 2011. Then make the claim that when his friend calls him a faggot it is an endearing term and is OK but the rest of the world needs to just shut up and stop saying it. That seems like something only a.... wait for it...... privileged white male would say! Oh the sweet, sweet irony!

It's cool to see people using Oppression Olympics bullshit to delegitimize a struggle for equality. That seems like something only a..... wait for it... privileged heterosexual male would do! Oh the sweet, sweet irony!

enzom21 said:
This joining arms nonsense is bullshit... I remember "joining arms" with gays during the whole Prop 8 debacle. Shit I even got some of my less enlightened relatives to vote no, and for all of my trouble I was called a nigger by the very same people I was trying to support. I also remember some of you who are pissed at Kobe, defending the use of nigger. I believe Gaborn said he "understood their anger".

No joke. The Prop 8 debacle really opened my eyes to what a problem racism can be in the gay community. The racism that came out of it- including blaming blacks as individuals for the collective action of the majority of blacks in voting- was simply despicable.

Still, I think the most important thing I learned from that brouhaha is that guilt has to be assessed on an individual and not collective level. It's really shitty to your black allies to complain about the actions of black people as a whole when they, as a black ally, have done nothing wrong. In the same vein, I hope that you would remain open to "joining arms" with individual gays and segments of the gay communities that haven't shown racism to you.

ZephyrFate said:
While I'm not defending racist actions,

Oh boy here we go-

ZephyrFate said:
I can see why gay people are not willing to be polite or rational towards black people considering the incredible amount that showed up to vote against gay marriage in California.

Actually, yes, you are defending racist actions. Not treating someone with politeness or rationality because of their race? Racism. Blaming individual blacks for the collective votes of their race? Racism. Hell, even treating that statistic as if it were relevant? Racism.

You clearly apply the collective guilt concept you've derided so much when applied to gay people to blacks. Cut it out. It's bad when someone applies the actions of a gay racist to all gays, and it's bad when you apply the votes of some black people to all of them.

Bloodbeard said:

I like that scene, and Louie, but on NPR Louis CK said that he has no idea if that story is factual, and Wikipedia claims it isn't.

Kinitari said:
First and foremost, you act like our concern is a singular focus, something that cannot be on multiple topics at once. let me address this - I can care about a lot of things at once, and it really doesn't hurt or anything. I will ask real quick if you've read this thread because you bring up a lot of topics that have been brought up and argued from here to high water - so I feel like I am repeating myself by replying to what you said, but I'll do it anyway. And stop saying things like "Who cares, this is boring, nobody cares" they are just incorrect statements. People care, I care - others in this thread care. The focus isn't on Kobe in this particular thread. Some people are talking about the fine, some people are talking about his apologies and subsequent actions, but your general post doesn't seem to address them, so I am going to assume you are addressing posters like me.

I am guilty of only reading the first and last few pages of this thread. I apologize, but this thread is very long and I didn't have time to read it all. I'm a new poster, but I've lurked NeoGAF for years and I'm aware that my opinions were probably already reflected by other like-minded people in this massive community. Still, I wanted to post my opinion myself. Part of what kept me from joining NeoGAF for so long was a fear that posting was futile because my posts would always be buried. I realize that it's annoying when people don't read threads.

My post wasn't directed at anyone specific in this thread, or this thread as a whole, but to anyone who is more concerned with the fact that Kobe Bryant said "fucking faggot" on television than they are about why so many people consider a basketball player's angry outburst to be newsworthy. When I asked "Why do you care?", I was asking why Kobe Bryant saying "fucking faggot" on television is noteworthy, because I don't think anything differentiates him from the people who shout "fucking faggot" on Xbox Live. I didn't ask "who cares", though, because it's evident across the Internet who cares.

Kinitari said:
Let's talk about the word Faggot. It is a slur aimed to insult homosexuals first and foremost in our current climate and continent. Like any other slur, it's intent is to dehumanize and insult not only a person, but a group of people. We can agree these are bad things. Your wording seems to imply that you think no one should be offended by words - but I would argue that this is silly. Look at how we are communicating right now, we are using words - through words we express ideas and thoughts and we give them power and substance. We take these words that we hear and we read and we apply meaning and substance to it - some words carry deeper meaning to some, where they associate them with times and dates and experiences. We cannot just turn this on and off, it would be great if we could, but that's not how we work. So words like Faggot immediately resonate with homosexuals in the worst possible way. Things like "motherfucker" don't have that same effect, asshole, dick and the like are words without history - without meaning and most likely without any deeper meaning for the person saying it or the person hearing it. To imply that faggot is the same is being intellectually dishonest (the phrase of the day for me).

Faggot can only "dehumanize" someone if they allow it to. You're entitled to be offended by words, but I don't understand why you want to do that. You claim that it's impossible for humans to avoid being offended by certain words, but I disagree. Sentences sometimes offend me, but slang words alone do not. I think motherfucker and faggot are quite comparable, because both are frequently said in anger without regard for their meaning or intent to offend. Regardless, slang words change meaning constantly and it's futile to declare that some words are acceptable but some aren't. Censoring taboo words only increases their appeal. I support freedom of speech without compromise, but courtesy and consideration are important things for anyone engaging in free speech to utilize.

Kinitari said:
There's not much I can do for the plight of homosexuals in North America, I am not a politician, I don't have a lot of money, and I compel the masses through any sort of religious indoctrination. But I can give my support, I can talk to people, I can listen to people and I can do my best to... spread an idea, the idea that homosexuals are people like everyone else, that it is better to be kind than to be cruel. Is this such a terrible thing that I am doing? Am I so misguided or malicious?

No, I don't think you are completely misguided or malicious. It is absolutely better to be kind than to be cruel, and I wholly support open and honest discussion of thoughts and ideas. As I said, instead of reading discussions about an overpaid celebrities angry outburst as if it were relevant to any of us, I'd rather read discussions about why our society worries about things like this more than the education of children and ourselves. I'd rather read about why bullying in schools actually happens, and what parents and we need to do about it.

Londa

Banned
Sai-kun said:
We're talking about AMERICAN English. Nobody who speaks American English calls a cig a fag. Nobody.

They know that a cig can be called a fag.

NO ONE in America would use the word fag to mean cigarette.

If you're arguing that, then you've truly gone mental.

Didn't you say that fag only is a slur that applies to gay people?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom