• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Konami's TGS 2015 lineup is about as plentiful as you'd expect

Ban Puncher

yFwdqYF.gif

EricB

If Konami were making big bucks from their games consistently, they would still be making them now. You can't really blame them for following the money. That is their main function.

I guess you're right technically, but they were a videogame company; that's kind of what they did. I could make more money too if I started on a different (borderline illicit) career path. I don't though, because I chose to do what I do. If every company's sole focus was to make the most profit possible right now, then they would constantly be shifting into different industries, or compartmentalizing like a lot of the big conglomerates in Japan and Korea do. It seems like whoever is running the show at konami has no understanding of the company's history and no idea how to capitalize on the wealth of IPs that they own. Not only that, but they actually bought out another company who held the rights to several other beloved IPs and basically shuttered them instantly.
I'm sure that gambling machines are very profitable for them, but I am skeptical that creating a Castlevania pachislot machine is the best use of that property. As it is, they are basically squatting on a huge slice of videogame history.

kamandi

Wow. Awesome line up. I mean, these games coming out this month(ps4). there is a huge amount of time ahead of us.

Harmen

I get that they follow the money and that gaming is not their priority anymore. What I don't get is that they basically just sit on their ip's and tech and don't do anything with it. I mean, surely there is potential in the Fox Engine? Just look at how MGSV looks and runs on all platforms. And surely other companies are interested in certain ip's? (maybe not even buying them but using them?). I think there are quite some ways for them to make money without having a lot of internal teams on it.

Konami is slowly moving out of gaming in general. This is hardly any news.
I get that they follow the money and that gaming is not their priority anymore. What I don't get is that they basically just sit on their ip's and tech and don't do anything with it. I mean, surely there is potential in the Fox Engine? Just look at how MGSV looks and runs on all platforms. And surely other companies are interested in certain ip's? (maybe not even buying them but using them?). I think there are quite some ways for them to make money without having a lot of internal teams on it.

yes, but they would have to invest in things like

- making other games with the fox engine
- promoting fox engine to other devs and working as a middle ware/game engine provider

they are just not willing to put money into that.

for sales of IP you can see that momotaro (a hudson IP) is being "leased" over to nintendo. Wouldnt be surprised if similar things happened with other konami franchises in the future.
I guess you're right technically, but they were a videogame company; that's kind of what they did. I could make more money too if I started on a different (borderline illicit) career path. I don't though, because I chose to do what I do. If every company's sole focus was to make the most profit possible right now, then they would constantly be shifting into different industries, or compartmentalizing like a lot of the big conglomerates in Japan and Korea do. It seems like whoever is running the show at konami has no understanding of the company's history and no idea how to capitalize on the wealth of IPs that they own. Not only that, but they actually bought out another company who held the rights to several other beloved IPs and basically shuttered them instantly.
I'm sure that gambling machines are very profitable for them, but I am skeptical that creating a Castlevania pachislot machine is the best use of that property. As it is, they are basically squatting on a huge slice of videogame history.
hey nintendo once was a card manufacturer. then they moved on to instant rice, love hotels and toys to finally settle with video games. apple was mainly a computer manufacturer. now they are making most of their revenue with phones.

its always a huge risk as a company to move on and sometimes it doesnt work, sometime it does. it just so happens that they are convinced that gaming is not lucrative anymore.

Bedlam

Not only that. They're slapping the IPs on their gambling machines, exploiting their draw-potential, but these IPs will fade in popularity over time when they aren't doing big things with them. And they are not developing new IPs either.

There are long-term ramifications of Konami's current actions will come back and bite them in the ass in a couple of years and affect their pachinko business as well.

Teletraan1

Banned
At least my fears of a FPS Contra can be put to bed (for now). Genre changes suck imo and this was the next game to get one. Which sucks because a 2/2.5D contra game would be pretty cheap to develop, easily distributed on all the digital stores and would not be dumped into an already crowded fps genre to die. Making the last entry a portable game was dire. Couch co op was the absolute strength of this series.

Whompa02

WHERE IS SILENT HILLS?!!??!

Oh and that tease for Project Enders?!

A new Castlevania?!

Oh wait, I forgot...Konami sucks...

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
lol, not even mobile

The ironic thing is that Suikoden would be the perfect basis for a castle building F2P social game. Though for myself, it's much better than the series stays dead than turn into that...

Konami was the first 3rd party I fell in love with, back in the NES days with games like Jackal, the TMNT arcade game, Contra, Castlevania and Life Force. Such a shame what has happened to them.

I think the most surprising thing about the TGS lineup is that they have a grand total of two mobile games on their showcase.

With all of the hullabaloo about Konami moving away from the console/handheld gaming markets in favor into the mobile gaming market, I was expecting at least, what, five times that amount, at least...

sörine

Banned
PBS/Power Pros seem to be done. MGS is essentially done now too.

I don't think PES has that much longer either. Another year or two.

Lucreto

Ctrl+F "Suikoden"

Why do I even bother?

The list is only for games that are already out or announced.

They could announce Suikoden VI this year. But I have been saying that every year sine 2006.

There are been a lot of movement since last year. That Facebook group which as least has been recognised by Konami UK and US. Suikoden 1 and 2 being released on Vita and Suikoden 3 on PS2 classic. Yuichi from Konami doing a Let's Play on Suikoden 1 through to Tactics.

If anything we are better off than we were this time last year.

At least they can't disappoint us with a pachinko Suikoden machine as there is one already.

https://youtu.be/-VTG2scXSQw

daveo42

Banned
They should put up a bunch of pachinko machines in their booth so attendees can get a taste of some erotic violence.

Top Bottom