• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Lance McDonald: PS4/5 Emulated Tomb Raider Legend Runs at 480p/30 FPS - $20

Mr Moose

Only £15.99 here in the UK
And it must be glitch
DuhX8BV.jpeg
Tro7MqI.jpeg
2stHoX7.jpeg
e9z6dPD.jpeg
uqLqpbt.jpeg
sKxbwCA.jpeg
Isn't this 792p or something?

Audiophile

This should be the bare minimum imo for BC/Emulation/Legacy stuff:

Proper universal emulation, PS1+PS2, let people choose between PAL, NTSC & NTSC-J via drop down regardless of region, tap into VRR+LFC, have a quick overlay with a toggle between 1x, 2x, 3x etc. render res scaling & have a range of high quality CRT shaders/filters with adjustable intensity.

All sourceable titles without licensing issues should be on there, if it does have a license issue, technical issue or sourcing issue but it's an obviously popular title they should get right on it; and for the rest they should maintain an open leaderboard (directly accessible from the PS5 UI and PS site) where PS Plus users can vote for what games Sony should prioritise in sorting out and getting on there. Make PS Plus modular rather than tiered and have PS1/PS2 local and cloud play as small modules you add on (in addition to being separately purchasable).

Last edited:
Meanwhile PCSX2 can practically run on a toaster nowadays and offer a better experience.
Seriously. The upscaling and post processing nearly makes games into entirely new HD remasters, as well as the majority of ps2 roms have a widescreen hack. Framerate hacks tend to be squirly tho (universal frame generation should be coming soon enough)

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Seriously. The upscaling and post processing nearly makes games into entirely new HD remasters, as well as the majority of ps2 roms have a widescreen hack. Framerate hacks tend to be squirly tho (universal frame generation should be coming soon enough)
Playing old games and bumped up frame rate is like night and day. When I replayed Skyrim and fallout 4 at 60 fps and SSD loading boosts (vs. 360 and Xbox one) the game is totally different and better.

SkylineRKR

I can't agree with that.
The PS3 did render at a higher resolution. It was native 720p versus 1024x600 on Xbox.
But the PS3 version used Quincunx AA, which completely destroyed the texture quality. Whereas Xbox 360 used MSAA, which had no effect on textures.
I think the PS3 version also used some form of bloom, which didn't really help the image either.

BQB4JaG.jpeg

If they had just left off the AA entirely on PS3, it would have looked better than the 360 version, even with jagged edges on geometry.

video source

360 version had better IQ than PS3 for sure. It looked much more vibrant. I used to have both.

Calverz

I know. I’ve seen it on YouTube. Nope. No PC here unfortunately. I should get one just for that!
Ah that’s a shame. It really is amazing. Definitely the best way to play. Puts a lot of other remasters to shame. One of the best games ever for sure.
It works great on the ally too I should have said.

Last edited:

intbal

360 version had better IQ than PS3 for sure. It looked much more vibrant. I used to have both.
I only had the PC version.

Couldn't you run the 360 version at 640x480 and it would unlock the framerate? I swear I saw a youtube video featuring that a few years ago.
On a CRT, that would have looked pretty great.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Definitely, the 360 version has odd look to it and self shadowing that looks bad
It also had the piss filter

Weird

Could be a case where the NTSC U version is botched and the Pal version is how it should be, if that's the case the US version should be fixed soon ?

dotnotbot

Anyone with PS Premium able to download any of these and show us screenshots? I'm curious if it's really SD or maybe just 2x-3x uprendering.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
We have enough evidence in the form of how Sony, Nintendo, and Microsoft have treated their back catalog offerings to know Jim was right...sadly.

Disagree. I don't know how good Nintendo does it, Sony's is kinda lackluster but the Xbox BC program is pretty good, even if they don't add more games to it.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
We have enough evidence in the form of how Sony, Nintendo, and Microsoft have treated their back catalog offerings to know Jim was right...sadly.
Yep. Apparently nobody wants to play exact carbon copies of dated games, this thread is testament of it. They want all that scaler goodness with some modern features. Like mini remasters.

Jim was right. "Who wants to play this shit (paraphrased)" when seeing GT1 next to GT6 or GT7.

Last edited:

SkylineRKR

I played it for about 3 minutes on PS5 via Premium. Its trash. It looks like SD at 30fps, just a sort of straight PS2 port. Game looks even more muted than the trilogy version on PS3. I'd still choose the 360 version over these ones.

bender

What time is it?
Yep. Apparently nobody wants to play exact carbon copies of dated games, this thread is testament of it. They want all that scaler goodness with some modern features. Like mini remasters.

Jim was right. "Who wants to play this shit (paraphrased)" when seeing GT1 next to GT6 or GT7.

To be fair, I don't think that would be profitable either. Xbox BC efforts being discontinued is a somewhat good example.

Last edited:
Top Bottom