• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Lance McDonald: PS4/5 Emulated Tomb Raider Legend Runs at 480p/30 FPS - $20

tommib

Gold Member
You're right. My bad.

Still it's outrageous to ask your fans 20-30 bucks for a 20 year old game after you milked millions out of them with the 33% price hike.
If you’re paying the 33% price then that means you get the game for free with the subscription.

PS+ price hike has nothing to do with the price of Legend. Sony is not pricing the titles. But they are offering the most basic emulation possible. And for that you can for sure rip their head off.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Their 'new' emulator is kinda wonky.

Sly 3 runs 10% faster than its actual speed on PS4 making everything become out of sync.

Last edited:

Killer8

When using GPU/hw-accelerated PCSX2 compatibility is still a shitshow that requires tons of per-game hacks to get anything resembling original games (even in the games that are high-on compatibility list - I can spot glitches galore). You can argue that Sony should invest into repackaging each release with all that - but let's not pretend there's a low-effort mode here if we actually care about compatibility. Like people criticised the hell out of Nintendo's emulation efforts for lack of accuracy - PCSX2 is a lot worse than that, consistently (not to mention the input-lag being pretty dreadful - I somehow doubt that would land too well if Sony used it).
Software mode tends to work well even with more difficult titles(not 100% - but it's drastically better than hw-mode) - but then you just get the original, SD experience with no enhancements (other than maybe framerate).

This is the issue. PCSX2, for as good as it is, is rife with small visual errors. I'd like to see a shoot out comparison of Sony's new emulator versus PCSX2 to see which actually delivers better accuracy. It's easy to say "why can't it just be 4K", but visual effect are fickle and can just completely break down once out of the constraints of 480p. This was exactly the issue that the Metal Gear Solid Master Collection faced when people were complaining about it only being 720p. Mods came out to unlock the res to 4K but it was obvious that doing so broke a bunch of the post-processing (even more than the HD Collection already did when Bluepoint ported from PS2). It's not dissimilar to how PCSX2 does the same to many games at higher res. Games like Sly and Dragon Quest get wonky cel-shading lines, while depth of field in FFXII and the neon lights in Yakuza often don't line up properly. Developers translating the old stuff to new hardware are in an unwinnable scenario really - either they're slated for the res not being high enough, or they deliver that and are slated for a lack of accuracy.

mitch1971

Gold Member
Yeah this must be a glitch
There's a setting for Enhancements that does nothing
Apparently, the enhancements option just turns on/off some of the options in the menu. I think thats the most redundent option I've ever heard of.

Skifi28

Apparently, the enhancements option just turns on/off some of the options in the menu. I think thats the most redundent option I've ever heard of.
1C6f4zS.jpeg

dotnotbot

Their 'new' emulator is kinda wonky.

Sly 3 runs 10% faster than its actual speed on PS4 making everything become out of sync.

Clear indication no one has throughly tested this. This iconic boss fight is the moment should be tested first if they were checking for emulation accuracy, I believe even HD remastered version had some trouble with it.

Between this and things like missing trophy images it's clear this release was rushed.

Previous PS1/PSP releases also had some issues with trophies not popping (either for everyone or only for players from certain regions) or games freezing in specific moments, Sony decided to save money on testing these properly and treat customers as beta testers instead.

Last edited:

Ronin_7

I bought Sly and fired it up quickly before leaving for work - it looked blurry as shit at first glance. I'm assuming it's the same.
No, Sly is improved.

TR is straight Ps2 version.

Update: Star Wars also has improvements and yes i have a Ps2 with me.

Last edited:

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
If the PS players don't want the enhanced 4K version like on PC and Xbox and cheaper price, then so be it I guess.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
Nobody else reported this yet, no response from Sony?
Nothing?
And you wonder why they keep doing this shit.

Kokoloko85

Gamers are probably just expecting some basic improvements or options like resolution boosts and better frame rate.

If third party emulators done by dudes in their basement can figure it out corporate head offices full of employees should be able to too.
This is Sony, we’re lucky to see PS2 games at this point after being promised to get them since PS4 gen. Should they do more yes, do I expect more.. lol no.
They act like they have the budget of dudes in a basement, so Im not expecting anything different atm. Add the games then work on making them look better/features etc.

Last edited:

spons

Gold Member
Who developed this emulator? And was it done in-house or are they using PCSX2? I doubt it's the latter, they'd have to post a copy of the license text since it's GPLv3.

TGO

Sly looks better than the PS2 BC on PS3 but clearly a step down from the PS3 remaster.

TR looks pretty blurry too, even with the 'enhancements = on'.

4t73yH6.png
Are they saying it's supposed to be like this.
It can't be, not even 720p
I fucking renewed my Premium because I renewed my faith that something good was gonna come out of this and here we are yet again.
His face is clearer then the fucking game 🤣

Last edited:

adamsapple

Are they saying it's supposed to be like this.
It can't be, not even 720p

The guy in the video isn't a pixel counter, in fact I've never seen any of his videos before so I don't know lol. But he keeps saying that it looks fine to him. Looks blurry as all hell to me, but I guess he doesn't mind it.

He also says that Sly looks equivalent to the PS3 remaster version in terms of resolution to him, which, I don't see how he can say that.

It's better than the PS2 original on PS3 BC but the HD Remaster is clearly better.

YnaUs2O.png

Last edited:

TGO

The guy in the video isn't a pixel counter, in fact I've never seen any of his videos before so I don't know lol. But he keeps saying that it looks fine to him. Looks blurry as all hell to me, but I guess he doesn't mind it.

He also says that Sly looks equivalent to the PS3 version in terms of resolution to him, which, I don't see how he can say that.
I mean they don't look bad for 480p blown up to 4k
If that what there goal was, but it would be better if it output at 480p and let the TV do the Upscaling.
This is outputting at 4k with a 480p render
This makes zero sense.
In fact I'm sure DF said when talking about 8k stuff that it makes no sense to have even 4k render output at 8k because it still uses resources to do a job the TV could do better.

Last edited:

DryvBy

I'm honestly fine with that stuff if they managed to add trophies and streaming, which they did. I wish Xbox did the same with everything. Just give me those classics with achievements, some streaming stuff like Twitch, and I'm basically set.

Everyone complaining about blurry these days and 99% of the games coming out are "retro ps1/n64" 3D games or SNES clones. lol

TGO

I'm honestly fine with that stuff if they managed to add trophies and streaming, which they did. I wish Xbox did the same with everything. Just give me those classics with achievements, some streaming stuff like Twitch, and I'm basically set.

Everyone complaining about blurry these days and 99% of the games coming out are "retro ps1/n64" 3D games or SNES clones. lol
This is the problem
Experience Sly Raccoon™ originally released on the PlayStation®2 console, enhanced with up-rendering, rewind, quick save, and custom video filters.
Ironically it missing from the Tomb Raider game....🤔
Although when it was first reported on the PSN backend it did say the same.
But I'd even say this is a lay for Sly

TGO

To the people saying it's the PS3 version they advertising on PSN, no
PS3
uxNhMEE.jpeg

PSN screenshot
2CzxobN.jpeg

TGO

Did they stealth update it today or something
xBlOiLS.jpeg
ZO8EpVh.jpeg

EMerYWp.jpeg

Either way after booting up the PS3 version it does actually look better then that.
That version is blurry as fuck with some strange boxy rendering going on.
Maybe it actually the games engine, it was always blurry

Last edited:

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Got to be honest, I do roll my eyes a bit when people moan about resolution and frame-rate on old emulated games.

Do they actually like old games, or just fapping to how much better things look at 4k and 60fps?

I thought the basic appeal wasn't the tech but the nostalgia!

Seider

Tomb Raider Legend should be abandoware at this moment.

Old games should be used as a gift buying new AAA games. Or released as freeware just for people know the IP.

TGO

Yeah it's definitely not 480p, but not 4k either
DF5zftA.png
maybe it's the same as the old PS2 classics but the game got some weird rendering that making it look worse in some places

adamsapple

Yeah it's definitely not 480p, but not 4k either
DF5zftA.png
maybe it's the same as the old PS2 classics but the game got some weird rendering that making it look worse in some places
Maybe the enhancement options are doing some work?

Is there any difference if you turn it on / off ?

DryvBy

No, I tried it last night. I tested Star Wars Clone Wars which I have on Xbox OG and it looked like a big improvement to me without that emulation UI glitchy crap I usually get. I never played Legend so I'm loading it on PC now for everyone to compare.

This is 1920x1080 on the PC version. Egad, quit complaining, PlayStation gamers!
3yHfbFp.jpeg

Last edited:

TGO

That's apparently is just for the Rewind features.
Don't get me wrong the game isn't as clean as I would like and it goes from okay to blurry depending on the scene and distance of the character
But it does look better then the PS3 version minus the menus.
Menu's are much clearer on the PS3 version though.
I think it just needs to be a bit higher in resolution.

DryvBy

That's apparently is just for the Rewind features.
Don't get me wrong the game isn't as clean as I would like and it goes from okay to blurry depending on the scene and distance of the character
But it does look better then the PS3 version minus the menus.
Menu's are much clearer on the PS3 version though.
I think it just needs to be a bit higher in resolution.
You're comparing a "remaster" to an emulated PS2 copy. Check my screen above. Thats the PC version without all the "remaster" stuff added to it. The PS2 didn't have some of the stuff you're complaining about.

This is like complaining that the Resident Evil 1 on Gamecube looks way better on a PS1 Resident Evil emulated on the PS5.

TGO

You're comparing a "remaster" to an emulated PS2 copy. Check my screen above. Thats the PC version without all the "remaster" stuff added to it. The PS2 didn't have some of the stuff you're complaining about.

This is like complaining that the Resident Evil 1 on Gamecube looks way better on a PS1 Resident Evil emulated on the PS5.
You missed heard me
I said it looks "better" then the Remaster
And so does your PC version.
Like I said the game doesn't look that bad, could do with being higher resolution and maybe it the rendering process of the original that causes the blurriness
But it actually better then the PS3 version
AsyqWI1.jpeg
8fQ8wQo.jpeg
NQ2lSQg.jpeg
mNQzoYx.jpeg

Last edited:

DryvBy

You missed heard me
I said it looks "better" then the Remaster
And so does your PC version.
Like I said the game doesn't look that bad, could do with being higher resolution and maybe it the rendering process of the original that causes the blurriness
But it actually better then the PS3 version
AsyqWI1.jpeg
8fQ8wQo.jpeg
NQ2lSQg.jpeg
mNQzoYx.jpeg
I don't know why I quoted you to say that really. Yeah, the PC version is atrocious so the original Tweet needs to understand that to say the PC version is $1 and this is more is a joke. The PC version is missing complete textures lol

rodrigolfp

Haptic Gamepads 4 Life
No, I tried it last night. I tested Star Wars Clone Wars which I have on Xbox OG and it looked like a big improvement to me without that emulation UI glitchy crap I usually get. I never played Legend so I'm loading it on PC now for everyone to compare.

This is 1920x1080 on the PC version. Egad, quit complaining, PlayStation gamers!
3yHfbFp.jpeg
Something is wrong. It's stretched.

Top Bottom