• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Lance McDonald: PS4/5 Emulated Tomb Raider Legend Runs at 480p/30 FPS - $20

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Got to be honest, I do roll my eyes a bit when people moan about resolution and frame-rate on old emulated games.

Do they actually like old games, or just fapping to how much better things look at 4k and 60fps?

I thought the basic appeal wasn't the tech but the nostalgia!
Remember when Jim Ryan said "who would want to play this" (GT1 next to the graphics of GT6/7)?

Remember when he was piled on by some of the people in this thread who are now piling on for a game remaining "PS2" graphics?

There's no end to this. Ever.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
I don't know why I quoted you to say that really. Yeah, the PC version is atrocious so the original Tweet needs to understand that to say the PC version is $1 and this is more is a joke. The PC version is missing complete textures lol
I mean look at this
6bkMHrQ.jpeg

This is the PS3 version
NGqVaKc.jpeg

And yes it actually looks like that

Bojji

To the people saying it's the PS3 version they advertising on PSN, no
PS3
uxNhMEE.jpeg

PSN screenshot
2CzxobN.jpeg

They are using PS3 or PC version.

PS2 version is "last gen version", it has different 2D foliage. PS3/PC "next gen" version has 3D foliage like on your screenshots.

4jBQHZ4.jpeg
LRLg2Tr.jpeg

Sony/SE is lying.

Last edited:

El Muerto

Gold Member
The PS2 hd texture pack is pretty good. Not sure why something like this couldn't be implemented in the re-release, especially with ai.

But the real winner is Xbox as it uses the X360 version and it's upscaled.

TGO

They are using PS3 or PC version.

PS2 version is "last gen version", it has different 2D foliage. PS3/PC "next gen" version has 3D foliage like on your screenshots.

4jBQHZ4.jpeg
LRLg2Tr.jpeg

Sony/SE is lying.

Then its the PC version, I posted the PS3 version and I actually booted it up and it looks like shit, this PS2 emulated one actually looks better
PS3
NGqVaKc.jpeg

PS5 - PS2 Classics
5zBgvom.jpeg

That ain't no compression or anything on the PS3 version.
It actually looks like that 😳

Last edited:

Bojji

This is PC version (4K/120) using last gen and next gen assets:

PS2

WCd6DS3.jpeg

X360/PS3

BsEg1Ej.jpeg

PS2

QPd1zdq.jpeg

X360/PS3

OMsEnD3.jpeg

Vs Sony screenshots on PSN

2CzxobN.jpeg

Then its the PC version, I posted the PS3 version and I actually booted it up and it looks like shit, this PS2 emulated one actually looks better
PS3
NGqVaKc.jpeg

PS5 - PS2 Classics
5zBgvom.jpeg

That ain't no comparison or anything on the PS3 version.

Yeah it's not PS3 version but they are using version of the game with PS3/360/PC assets and game on PSN is last gen PS2 version.

They are using PC version in 4K in their screenshots. Talk about false advertising, haha.

Last edited:

TGO

This is PC version (4K/120) using last gen and next gen assets:

PS2

WCd6DS3.jpeg

X360/PS3

BsEg1Ej.jpeg

PS2

QPd1zdq.jpeg

X360/PS3

OMsEnD3.jpeg

Vs Sony screenshots on PSN

2CzxobN.jpeg

Yeah it's not PS3 version but they are using version of the game with PS3/360/PC assets and game on PSN is last gen PS2 version.

They are using PC version in 4K in their screenshots. Talk about false advertising, haha.
I agree, it's false advertising.
But I just responding to people saying it's the PS3 version when it's not.
PC definitely, 360 most definitely not
I'm actually happy it's the PS2 version but if only it was a little higher in the resolution.
But I honestly think it's how Tomb Raider Legend is rendered on PS2 and don't know what the fuck is happening with the PS3 version.
360 & PC don't seem to have this problem.
Anniversary is a lot better though and should look nice in this Emulator.
Underworld on the other hand....the PS2 version is garbage

Edit Bojji Bojji
And here's the direct comparison
PS2 Classic at the Top & the Image they used on PSN
mnNlxfI.jpeg

Last edited:

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
It's better than the PS2 original on PS3 BC but the HD Remaster is clearly better.
As I've been saying all along, it's the exact same 4x resolution with PP AA as all the ps2 classics have on ps4 to date. Eg. Also the same difference as comparing Jak remaster to emulated version.

But no matter the resolution, its the original version, without dropping effects that remasters lost in transition. Eg: those full-screen postprocessing effects in Sly are part of what original PS2 was supposed to look like whether people like it or not🤷‍♀️

The PS2 hd texture pack is pretty good. Not sure why something like this couldn't be implemented in the re-release, especially with ai.
It's been done before with some games (see Locoroco, Parappa, PataPon, Ace Combat 5 etc. on PS4) but that's really going into realm of modified vs. preserved.
When Premium was adding classics that included HD remasters, people (rightfully) called them out for it - but that's also exactly what you're asking for here.

IMO these jut reaffirm that PS2 version was the right choice - but indeed wish they'd give more image-quality/resolution options to PS5 users at least. It'd be an easy pick if PS5 version had 4xMSAA and/or ran at 16x instead of 4x res.

The sheer amount of people on Gaf that actually think emulation, at a low cost, that is better than the original is ever going to happen…is mind numbingly staggering to me. Some of you must get off on disappointment.

It’s a business…that’s based on the sucking out of whales in gaming right now that matters. If you’ve been convinced otherwise over the last several years, then that’s on you.

I’m not saying it’s right…but I’m saying open your damn eyes and pay attention.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
And here's the direct comparison
mnNlxfI.jpeg

That is some bullshit right there, lol.

Also, is bottom (the fake PSN screen) what the PS3 version looked like? How does it have less foliage than the PS2 game.

Last edited:
That's a shame. I haven't played too many PS2 releases on PS4/PS5 but I can definitely vouch for Code: Veronica X. That game looks great, it's less blurry than the PS3 remaster with MT Framework lighting. It's actually pretty damn sharp and IMO is the best way to play it outside of emulation.

TGO

It's not though.
Look at my previous post, I now know it not and it actually rendered in HDish
It something to do with Legends rendering process that making it look that way in parts
Anniversary didn't have this problem so it look better when and if they release it.
But my god the PS3 version is horrible
Look at this shit
actually looks better
PS3
NGqVaKc.jpeg

PS5 - PS2 Classics
5zBgvom.jpeg

That ain't no compression or anything on the PS3 version.
If you zoom on Lara's face on the top pic and see the blocks
That's not compression, it's actually the game and everything has it, the walls the floors
It's weird, jump to Anniversary and it's clean
But Legend on PS3, something is wrong with it
That is some bullshit right there, lol.

Also, is bottom (the fake PSN screen) what the PS3 version looked like? How does it have less foliage than the PS2 game.
No, I booted up the PS3 version today
See the pictures above...yep
The PS2 Classic looks better.
PS3 has some blocky rendering going on with it and actually looks worse then the PS2 Classic.
I assume the PSN screenshot is a PC shot
Although like you said the PS2 Classic has some thing the other don't.
It's weird

dotnotbot

Reverse searching one of the PSN screenshots gave me a lot of results, they are probably just old promotional screenshots:

Last edited:
  • Thoughtful
Reactions: TGO

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Reverse searching one of the PSN screenshots lead me to this website, seem like all of them were taken from here:

So they're using really old promo shots that don't really look like any version of the game.

To call it bizarre is an understatement.

dotnotbot

I just checked store page on PS App and screenshots are now replaced with proper ones taken from this version.

t5lbvXX.jpeg

Sites like psdeals.net that gather games data from PSN on release and probably don't update them often still have old ones saved:

Last edited:

TGO

So they're using really old promo shots that don't really look like any version of the game.

To call it bizarre is an understatement.
Could be worse
They could have used these
9W0CWEl.jpeg

eLJwQ8Z.jpeg

dotnotbot dotnotbot
That's freaky
Some of those shots look like mine 😳

Last edited:

Agent X

That's a rather good video that digs deep into the benefits and shortcomings of the emulated PS2 games. Thanks for posting that.

I've been playing Sly Cooper on a standard PS4, and I was wondering why the "enhancements" were turned off by default. I noticed that turning on "enhancements" added the handy rewind feature found in the emulated PS1 and PSP games. This video also pointed out that on PS4 (but not on PS5), there is an impact to frame rate while the "enhancements" are enabled. I didn't notice this while I was playing, but then again I wasn't really looking out for it, and whatever drop there was in frame rate didn't impact my gameplay. I'll have to check this out more closey next time I fire up the game.

The emulator does have some other great "quality of life" benefits. Aside from the aforementioned rewind, you've got instantaneous "quick save" at any point in the game, with at least seven save slots (that I could see on the menu), and some video filter options that seem a bit better than the filters that their previous PS1/PSP emulators offered. But, now there's another excellent added feature that's quickly become one of my favorites:

CUSTOM CONTROL MAPPING!

Heck yeah! This feature comes in very handy for Sly Cooper. One of my first thoughts when playing was "Man, I wish I could reverse the behavior of the horizontal axis on the right analog stick for camera control", since the game wasn't programmed with this ability, Well, the original game didn't have it, but this emulator certainly does! Check out the video from 6:30 to 7:56 for more details. They've even conveniently added this as an option in the emulator interface. Just select "Presets", and you'll see a screen (shown at 7:42 in the video) with options to quickly invert any of the axes on either of the analog sticks.

Better graphics & performance on a console 2 generations back.
Only in 2024.

I hear you, but the game on PS3 wasn't emulating the PS2 game. It was an upgraded port that was rebuilt from the ground up for PS3, or as folks like to call it in the common vernacular, a "remaster". They improved some stuff in the process, including cleaning up or redrawing some of the textures, and adding widescreen support. Here's an old article from PlayStation.Blog about the enhancements that went into the PS3 version:

On that note, I saw a couple of complaints here about the lack of widescreen support, but that wasn't in the original PS2 game, which is what this release is emulating. There's no easy way for them to add proper widescreen to the existing PS2 game without heavily reprogramming the game. They'd have to analyze each scene, and decide how the scene should be properly framed. This was accomplished on the PS3 version because that was a ground-up rewrite, not merely pouring existing code into an emulator.

For those who need a quick visual comparison (and haven't bothered to read the PS.Biog article linked above), see these photos from the PS.Blog article:

PS2:

OJgeWqI.png

PS3:

Sxhig0s.png

But no matter the resolution, its the original version, without dropping effects that remasters lost in transition. Eg: those full-screen postprocessing effects in Sly are part of what original PS2 was supposed to look like whether people like it or not🤷‍♀️

True.

If someone wants the hi-res textures and widescreen support of the PS3 game on the PS4/PS5, then they won't find it here. They can either stream the PS3 version on PS Plus Premium, or keep their fingers crossed and hope that Sony maybe someday emulates or does a ground-up port of the PS3 version (rather than the PS2 version, which is what this product is based on).

On the topic of emulated PS1/2 games on PS5, anybody checked out Ridge Racer Type 4 on PS5? What an absolute travesty that is. Total dumpster fire.

Esppiral

Did they stealth update it today or something
xBlOiLS.jpeg
ZO8EpVh.jpeg

EMerYWp.jpeg

Either way after booting up the PS3 version it does actually look better then that.
That version is blurry as fuck with some strange boxy rendering going on.
Maybe it actually the games engine, it was always blurry
Quinqux anti aliasing is to blame on PS3.

Esppiral

That's a rather good video that digs deep into the benefits and shortcomings of the emulated PS2 games. Thanks for posting that.

I've been playing Sly Cooper on a standard PS4, and I was wondering why the "enhancements" were turned off by default. I noticed that turning on "enhancements" added the handy rewind feature found in the emulated PS1 and PSP games. This video also pointed out that on PS4 (but not on PS5), there is an impact to frame rate while the "enhancements" are enabled. I didn't notice this while I was playing, but then again I wasn't really looking out for it, and whatever drop there was in frame rate didn't impact my gameplay. I'll have to check this out more closey next time I fire up the game.

The emulator does have some other great "quality of life" benefits. Aside from the aforementioned rewind, you've got instantaneous "quick save" at any point in the game, with at least seven save slots (that I could see on the menu), and some video filter options that seem a bit better than the filters that their previous PS1/PSP emulators offered. But, now there's another excellent added feature that's quickly become one of my favorites:

CUSTOM CONTROL MAPPING!

Heck yeah! This feature comes in very handy for Sly Cooper. One of my first thoughts when playing was "Man, I wish I could reverse the behavior of the horizontal axis on the right analog stick for camera control", since the game wasn't programmed with this ability, Well, the original game didn't have it, but this emulator certainly does! Check out the video from 6:30 to 7:56 for more details. They've even conveniently added this as an option in the emulator interface. Just select "Presets", and you'll see a screen (shown at 7:42 in the video) with options to quickly invert any of the axes on either of the analog sticks.

I hear you, but the game on PS3 wasn't emulating the PS2 game. It was an upgraded port that was rebuilt from the ground up for PS3, or as folks like to call it in the common vernacular, a "remaster". They improved some stuff in the process, including cleaning up or redrawing some of the textures, and adding widescreen support. Here's an old article from PlayStation.Blog about the enhancements that went into the PS3 version:

On that note, I saw a couple of complaints here about the lack of widescreen support, but that wasn't in the original PS2 game, which is what this release is emulating. There's no easy way for them to add proper widescreen to the existing PS2 game without heavily reprogramming the game. They'd have to analyze each scene, and decide how the scene should be properly framed. This was accomplished on the PS3 version because that was a ground-up rewrite, not merely pouring existing code into an emulator.

For those who need a quick visual comparison (and haven't bothered to read the PS.Biog article linked above), see these photos from the PS.Blog article:

PS2:

OJgeWqI.png

PS3:

Sxhig0s.png

True.

If someone wants the hi-res textures and widescreen support of the PS3 game on the PS4/PS5, then they won't find it here. They can either stream the PS3 version on PS Plus Premium, or keep their fingers crossed and hope that Sony maybe someday emulates or does a ground-up port of the PS3 version (rather than the PS2 version, which is what this product is based on).
O wow they actually added a widescreen hack? Good!

TGO

Quinqux anti aliasing is to blame on PS3.
It's fucking horrible, what made them think it was a good idea
It absolutely destroys the picture.
Looking at it I can tell it actually based on the 360 version but that shit looks like it's being rendered the same way the Sega Saturn rendered Tomb Raider and they applied a heavy compression filter over the top.

Generic

Tried it today. The resolution is ok but it could be better (the emulated PSP games look super smooth with no aliasing). But I'm noticing frame rate drops when I leave the select menu. Is this an issue in the original game?

TGO

So the game got a update today
It looks better imo but maybe I'm imagining it
Anyway I took some captures for you guys to judge
It's still using 2x msaa
OmsRw8P.png

UbYMF0O.png

xXIfJe5.png

kL3YUKn.jpeg

Also on the subject NXgamer did an analysis, this before todays update but you'll be surprised what he found.

Dirk Benedict

Gold Member
PC remains best option. Looks awesome at 1080p/1440p etc

Next best is ps3, followed by 360/one which is sub 720p and blurry but not 480p blurry.

You had one job...

You can do PS3 emu and get those visual gains. I have Asura's Wrath, couldn't even get to it because of YLOD, burned and playing on RPCS3, shit looks so good, for what it is. the IQ is super high, even if the textures are still somewhat fucked in some ways. It's still much better than the native setting.

Generic

So the game got a update today
It looks better imo but maybe I'm imagining it
Anyway I took some captures for you guys to judge
It's still using 2x msaa
OmsRw8P.png

UbYMF0O.png

xXIfJe5.png

kL3YUKn.jpeg

Also on the subject NXgamer did an analysis, this before todays update but you'll be surprised what he found.

Did Sly get an uptade too? I can't play at this moment.

TGO

Next best is ps3, followed by 360/one which is sub 720p and blurry but not 480p blurry.

You had one job...
Y4ifGCK.jpeg

ieJsYk9.jpeg
I927VSs.jpeg

Are You Sure About That John Cena GIF by MOODMAN

Generic Generic
I don't actually have Sly, I wasn't really into those types of platformers during the PS2 era
I can download it and have look but if it has had an update I wouldn't know because it'll be in the new download.

Last edited:

phant0m

Can Sony just license PCSX2?

Jfc The PS5 should be able to emulate every single PS2 game at 1440p if not 4K

TGO

Did Sly get an uptade too? I can't play at this moment.
As I said I didn't have Sly but I downloaded and took some shots so judge for yourself
Then again if you got it you'll know when you pop your PS5 on
qy3leSs.png

DRh5SeE.png

JtY8eCp.png

6fZbp6U.png

simpatico

Got to be honest, I do roll my eyes a bit when people moan about resolution and frame-rate on old emulated games.

Do they actually like old games, or just fapping to how much better things look at 4k and 60fps?

I thought the basic appeal wasn't the tech but the nostalgia!
For most it’s knowing how little effort and processing power it takes to render at higher resolutions when emulating a game like this. Most phones are more than capable, let alone the most powerful gaming console ever produced. No one is asking Hellblade 2 run at 120fps on a Wii here. This does not require a technical miracle to pull off. It’s just stubborn and old fashioned project management. Imagine striking out in tee ball.

TGO

For most it’s knowing how little effort and processing power it takes to render at higher resolutions when emulating a game like this. Most phones are more than capable, let alone the most powerful gaming console ever produced. No one is asking Hellblade 2 run at 120fps on a Wii here. This does not require a technical miracle to pull off. It’s just stubborn and old fashioned project management. Imagine striking out in tee ball.
This is more of reply to Clear Clear
But with the displays we use today we need the extra resolution to make it look close to what it did on CRT.
They look bad because it's being blown up on a display that doesn't handle low resolutions that well.
The games themselves look as good as they did back in the day, we've just seen better now.
But I think the majority of PS2 games in HD look really nice.
And I have nooo trouble playing them.
Even the TR Remastered Collection with the enhancements done has made it very enjoyable to play again, and they was a PS1 games.
I'm hoping more games will come, I pray for Onimusha 3 & Haunting Ground and many others.

Top Bottom