• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Launch titles holding up a little too well?

Miburou

Due to darkx's constant pimping, I decided to revisit my 4-year old copy of Tekken TT, and was shocked to see how well it looks compared to more recent PS2 fighters like SCII, T4 and VF4E. I remember Tekken 2 making Tekken its bitch, T3 being a big leap over T2, etc., yet TTT still hasn't been beat on the PS2 in cetain aspects (character models, IQ, effects). Sure, the disjointed bgs are an eyesore, but technically it still holds up well.

I'm disappointed because it doesn't seem like there's a big leap between software gens like there was with the PS1. And it isn't just the PS2, DoA3 on Xbox is still one of the top 2 or 3 looking Xbox games.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Yeah, some games are holding up incredibly well, and TTT was looking great to begin with. Some on the other hand... Just play RRV, and then play Burnout 3... Or play <whatever was that crappy looking robot game> and then ZoE2.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
Soul Calibur on Dreamcast still remains one of the best looking games on the console (although not really a launch title if we're talking about Japanese release)

Miburou

Well, RRV was the other game I played recently, and I was surprised how the aliasing didn't bother me as much as I thought it would. Maybe we've all gotten over it. Sure RRV has been surpassed by other racers, but not by Namco's own R: RE. PS1 launch titles Tekken and RR looked like crap in 1999, yet RRV still looks good, at least to me (nice car models, crisp backgrounds).

I guess it might be because last gen devs were still getting to grips with 3D and experimenting...

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
I agree about RRV as well...

The game looks very solid, despite the rough image quality. Quite frankly, I can't think of many other racers on any system that feel quite that solid. The cars, the tracks, the lighting...it all looks so incredibly good. Burnout 2, for example, feels so light in comparison. They really nailed the look and feel of RRV...

The realtime intro still looks fantastic as well!

Defensor

Mistaken iRobbery!
Heh, IMHO Tekken Tag Tournament is still the best looking 3d fighter on the PS2(looks better than Tekken 4).

JJConrad

Sucks at viral marketing
The PS1 had a larger jump mainly because almost all of the very first games for it were pure crap. They were 3D experiments on a system that was mainly intended for 2D (that'll get me flamed). It caused a very steep learning curve, that took a little time to get over. I know of no other system that has had the same big leap, like the PS1.

Defensor said:
Heh, IMHO Tekken Tag Tournament is still the best looking 3d fighter on the PS2(looks better than Tekken 4).

I'd have to give the edge in a big way to VF4. The environments and the character models were top notch.

JJConrad said:
They were 3D experiments on a system that was mainly intended for 2D (that'll get me flamed).

I'll agree with the 3d experiments part, but saying the PS1 was designed for 2d is just ignorant. It was specifically designed for 3D and was the hottest 3D system around for quite awhile until PC's caught up.

Although, the PS1, along with the Atari 2600 are systems that are painful to go back to to play games. Many games make my eyes bleed. NES & SNES knew games knew their limitations and many of them have aged quite well.

drohne

hyperbolically metafictive
i guess it's worth noting that ttt wasn't at ps2's japanese launch, and that the american version has cleaned up image quality. but generally i agree with you - graphics on all three consoles have hardly progressed from the best launch and launch-ish titles.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
system that was mainly intended for 2D (that'll get me flamed)
Well, how about you give some insight into your thought process on this, because, frankly, that does sound quite ignorant. Are you sure you are not confusing PS1 with Saturn, maybe, because that machine technically did 3D through 2D sprites (literally)

JJConrad

Sucks at viral marketing
sonycowboy said:
I'll agree with the 3d experiments part, but saying the PS1 was designed for 2d is just ignorant. It was specifically designed for 3D and was the hottest 3D system around for quite awhile until PC's caught up.
Then you must agree that both the SNES and GBA are 3d systems. Both were also "specifically" designed to do 3d.

The ability to push polygons does not make a system a 3d system. The SNES, GBA, and PS1, while all able to create 3d graphics, are 2d systems at heart. They lack the basic features you'd expect to find for what would be consisdered 3d.

Just so no one misunderstands, I'm not saying that Sony never intended on the PS1 to produce 3d graphics, just that the system was based primiraly on 2d technologies.

Subitai

Miburou said:
I'm disappointed because it doesn't seem like there's a big leap between software gens like there was with the PS1. And it isn't just the PS2, DoA3 on Xbox is still one of the top 2 or 3 looking Xbox games.
Tao Feng and Kakuto Chojin look better technically. The art and animation is bad, but they've got better textures, lighting, effects, and more polys.

JJConrad said:
Then you must agree that both the SNES and GBA are 3d systems. Both were also "specifically" designed to do 3d.

The ability to push polygons does not make a system a 3d system. The SNES, GBA, and PS1, while all able to create 3d graphics, are 2d systems at heart. They lack the basic features you'd expect to find for what would be consisdered 3d.

Just so no one misunderstands, I'm not saying that Sony never intended on the PS1 to produce 3d graphics, just that the system was based primiraly on 2d technologies.

Please elaborate and fill us in, if you don't mind.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony

Sweet Zombie Jesus... I'm just so dumbfounded right now, that I can't bring myself to explain in detail, but trust me that what you are saying here, is the same as if you were saying that sky is green because you see it that way (through the green colored glasses). Just stop now before you make a total ignoramus out of yourself.

TKM

What is the PS1 lacking besides a Z-buffer? (And given how much VRAM is available, you probably wouldn't want one anyhow). Heck, it even has hardware support for Painter's Algorithm.

SNES is about as 3D as a 386 running Doom 1.

Top Bottom