• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

League of Legends |OT10| Botlane Was A Mistake, It's Nothing But Thresh

Status
Not open for further replies.
I haven't won a ranked game in so long. Hopefully this is the one, I got morde and my support is blitz, against a Vayne and alistar. Hopefully we should be able to win lane.

I want to get into LoL, but I just installed and played my first game and wow. Its incredibly overhwhelming O_O. I played Heroes of Newerth for about a year, but haven't played in a while. I get the general mechanics, but the runes, the amount of heroes, the huge amount of items, etc. Its making my head spin. Any suggestions on where to start???

I want to get into LoL, but I just installed and played my first game and wow. Its incredibly overhwhelming O_O. I played Heroes of Newerth for about a year, but haven't played in a while. I get the general mechanics, but the runes, the amount of heroes, the huge amount of items, etc. Its making my head spin. Any suggestions on where to start???

This is just how I played, but I didn't worry about runes until Level 30. For now, I just recommend playing different free champs until you find someone you like. There's a lot of items, but you will get the general feel of what roles which champions fill and what kind of stats they like.

Just take it easy and do things at your own pace pre 30. Try out free champs, don't worry about buying runes until level 20 and just mute anyone that gives you shit.

garath

Just buy tier 1 runes before level 20 if any. After that buy tier 3 runes as you can afford them.

Until then, don't really sweat the runes or masteries. Just start playing some co-op vs ai and work on leveling. You'll learn the game as you level. Play the free champs of the week and start to figure out what you like.

NCR Redslayer

NeoGAF's Vegeta

First, read the OP of this thread.

If too lazy read this: Buy things on the recommended item list. Don't worry about runes and masteries until much, much later. And if you want to know more about a champion, just look up the Champion in the store and there should be a tab where you can see all their abilities and visuals of what they are.

jerd

Lyte said:
Hey everyone,

We'd like to open PBE signups for 5000 players to test some upcoming features hitting PBE on November 3rd. Positive players in the community will get first dibs on PBE accounts, so sign-up today and come play a few games with Rioters, Pro Players and Streamers!

The easiest way to sign up on the PBE for this playtest is to use this link, or look to the top right where you've logged in, hit the down arrow and select the "PBE" option. Hopefully we'll see some of you on the PBE on Nov 3rd!

Preseason stuff inc :D

There are quite a few resources out there to help you through that stuff, but at the moment I'd say stick to the recommended items so that you get an idea of how the systems work. 90% of the time they'll work perfectly for you, the only nuance might be prioritising certain items.

Don't worry about runes until level 30, by which time you'll have much more experience.

Stick with the free rotation of champions to try out the different styles. Try sticking with a role of champion you like.

If you were having trouble with the basic mechanics I'd have something for you soon(tm) but if you've played HoN you probably have a decent grasp of those.

oh boy, I wonder what's in there :D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

With so many heroes does counter-picking really even exist in this game? I'm also assuming that after you've got to a specific level of skill a lot of games probably revolve around a much smaller pool of viable heroes.

Newt

With so many heroes does counter-picking really even exist in this game? I'm also assuming that after you've got to a specific level of skill a lot of games probably revolve around a much smaller pool of viable heroes.
Well, it does, but depends mostly on the role.

Usually top/mid/support have the hardest counterpicks.

ADC/Jungle still have counter picks, but usually they're less impactful.

zkylon

zkylewd
hope there's a good viktor skin soon

i feel like my favorite of his is his default and that's just not the way i roll

they're mostly soft counterpicks since a lot of the game revolves around teamplay

but yeah there are matchups that will be really bad for u and so you gotta play really safe and just concede lane pressure and hope ur team gets something done somewhere else

midlane i'd say you can pretty much play around whatever you're thrown, some champions can really take advantage of ur weaknesses but you just gotta play passive and edge them out somewhere else that isn't the 1v1

hoping for some cool surprises

i heard there summoner spells might be a big thing? i also want new masteries and stuff

basically if all there is is adc rework im gonna be mad

I don't think I would've gotten into League if I didn't have a friend to help guide me. He made a smurf and played quite a lot with me until we hit rank 30. I really wish League had a mentoring program of some sort for those who want to help out with new players. I think it'd be kind of fun.

patchday

Items might not be so bad to figure out though. Just follow the builds on probuilds.net for your favorite champ or find a good guide. [edit] Would be nice if the guides were ingame like they in Dota 2 but we have to make do

At least runes are not horribly expensive now. The basic runes got cut in half. So its less of a grind

The current meta calls for Tank-Top lane (or anti-tank that has Blind), mid lane (usually mage), jungler, and bottom lane has a Marksman + Support. But your're limited to Blind Pick mode anyways where often anything kind of goes. The main challenge I'd say is learning how team comps work

[edit] Make sure to check out rune prices though and figure out if that works for you. I was shocked to see how crappy tier 3 rune prices were when I hit 20. I previously played other mobas (original Dota / HOTS) which lacked that type of grindfest. But luckily I had like 8k IP saved so I was able to get into t3 runes right away

nbraun80

ugh this game I know adc is far from my main role, but its just a norms. The Brand just flames me all game, he's a plat and apparently i'm just a 'silver scum' as he called me. Mainly because I wouldn't chase kills down mid with and dive tower while top was getting split and bot had a big wave, both at second tier. baffles me how people think they can rage at you one minute and then expect my help the next. :(

killatopak

Gold Member
Well, considering there's a lot of references to the japanese culture in the game, I thought JPN would be one of the first servers to be made.

25 minutes waiting for a support in Team Builder. Game starts. ADC disconnects. Rest of team refuses to surrender at 20, even though we're getting demolished.

I missed you, League...

Still better than dota 2.
But I guess with Dota 2 I can have fun with other people's heros.
I haven't touched Dota 2. Probably never will :p

I really hope Kindred gets some buffs. She is super fun, but holy shit, she is pathetically weak. She is far too weak to be seriously viable. Only games I've won with her are when the other team is playing awful. Any semi-decent team stomps her face. Please Rito...fix her.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom