• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

League of Legends |OT10| Botlane Was A Mistake, It's Nothing But Thresh

Status
Not open for further replies.

kenbo

Yes, after being banned from pro play for a season. This is no different. You don't get rewards for a season. But you can get them next season.

My point was that you didn't believe people can reform

And these people already got punished too, they got banned/chat restricted/etc

jerd

That's just plain cynical
Even Riot lets Incarnation and IWD play in NA

Its not an incentive if it's not mentioned until the last minute

And it's either unfair or it isn't zkylon. This wasn't mentioned at the start of the season, its dodgy and its not "not super unfair" as per your words

100% negatively impact the game

lets say you play 5000 games this season, and was a saint
then you play 10 games in a row and was a jerk, got chat banned

is that 100% negative impact?

compare that to a person who played 100 games and has a 400 game chat ban

Yeah i just don't see the hangup. You were enough of a dick to someone for playing bad or whatever that you got a chat ban. You negatively impacted the game 100% as in without a doubt. There's no arguing that fact. You don't deserve a reward

And that's ignoring the fact that your scenario is beyond unlikely

My point was that you didn't believe people can reform

And these people already got punished too, they got banned/chat restricted/etc

Oh sure, that's my point if you want to change the topic on the argument. My point is, taking away rewards for a year is a good solution on how to punish toxic players. If they want to reform for the next year, and earn rewards the next season, they're more than welcome to.

kenbo

There's actually two hang ups with a once size fits all "no rewards" punishment:

1. it's not nuanced and hence is unfair to people who have already reformed or had minor punishments
2. since it is mentioned at the last minute, punished people will feel cheated and have no incentive to try anymore and so are more likely to troll. When you already know that if you are punished then you lose your rewards, you are much more likely to feel that it was your fault.

Poor and unfair design

There's actually two hang ups with a once size fits all "no rewards" punishment:

1. it's not nuanced and hence is unfair to people who have already reformed or had minor punishments
2. since it is mentioned at the last minute, punished people will feel cheated and have no incentive to try anymore and so are more likely to troll

Poor and unfair design

Great, punish players for this year even if they reformed, and we'll know, in the consecutive years, that if we're toxic we'll lose out on rewards. Riot has to start somewhere, let them start right now.

Leezard

People who have gotten minor punishments like shorter low priority queues actually do not get their rewards removed as per the lyte post.

kenbo

Great, punish players for this year even if they reformed, and we'll know, in the consecutive years, that if we're toxic we'll lose out on rewards. Riot has to start somewhere, let them start right now.

How does that make any sense?

If they have to start somewhere, they can start when its fair, like the start of next season.

People who have gotten minor punishments like shorter low priority queues actually do not get their rewards removed as per the lyte post.
I don't know if 20 minute low priority is short, but they're not getting rewards either.

A good punishment system should reform those who can, and remove from society those who can't.

This system is treating all of them like bad eggs, and I feel like you guys are just blinded by your hate of toxic people to see that there are enough people that have simply had bad communication streaks or plain false positives

Especially when most of these punishments are automated. It was ok to have a false positive in the chat restriction system, it really doesn't hurt you that badly, but some people have tried really hard for end of season rewards

jerd

If they were treating everyone like bad eggs they'd be permabanning them

They're taking away cosmetic rewards. That's it. Punishment fits the crime

Low priority queues are generally 5 min at the lowest

23qwerty

you gotta be toxic repeatedly and often to even get chat restricted, i don't see how this is an issue

they said last year that people are not going to be rewarded for being toxin shitters why would you think that doesn't apply to this year too?

This system is treating all of them [Those who have been chat restricted or banned/suspended] like bad eggs, and I feel like you guys are just blinded by your hate of toxic people to see that there are enough people that have simply had bad communication streaks or plain false positives

How is it supposed to treat them? Like delicate, wayward flowers that bent the wrong way because Jimmy was smoking in an alley and they simply made the wrong choice a handful of times?

Good, let the trolls suffer for once. Make them pay for harassing other people.

kenbo

I think you underestimate how much the end of season rewards mean to some people

How is it supposed to treat them? Like delicate, wayward flowers that bent the wrong way because Jimmy was smoking in an alley and they simply made the wrong choice a handful of times?

Good, let the trolls suffer for once. Make them pay for harassing other people.
treat them depending on their crime?
Go ahead, take the rewards away from people who have had 3day - months bans. But people who have been chat restricted once arecompletely entry level to his system.

Especially when Lyte has admitted to a few false positives in his chat restriction system, I'm not sure how we can so easily accept the stripping of rewards from the 10 game restricted

Newt

No he'll just become more toxic since it doesn't matter anymore because he can't get rewards
Well, I'll be toxic no matter what really. I wouldn't become more toxic.

I really doubt they would take rewards away for stuff like low priority queue tho. I force a lot of losses and leave a lot of games, but I've never been chat restricted or anything like that. People get low priority queues for blackouts and stuff like that too.

The anger that I incite in people is really enough reward as it is.

kenbo

I think you underestimate how hard it is to get banned or restricted

Perhaps I am. I am basing this on the assumption that a chat restriction is his 'entry level' punishment for people and the fact that he has admitted to some false positives in his system

Calvero

Banned
I've never been punished either and nor am I saying its hard to not be a dick, I'm saying this punishment is not fair

Please, we all know this game can be trying sometimes
Especially if you're trying to climb. Even the nicest person curses

that's why we're having a discussion over the proposed solution

I'm saying its unfair if its a blanket

yeah, but that doesn't mean they start being a dick

The word "toxic" is so weird when it comes to League because one would normally assume that someone labeled as a toxic player cusses all the time, says racist things, etc, but most of the time I see stuff like:

"Oh, you're building a defensive item 3rd on an ADC? Stop playing in a toxic manner!"
"-insert common top laner- mid? So toxic"
"________ keeps throwing up surrender votes, pls report for toxic."

Or my favorite- when a teammate always tries 1v2,3,4, or 5 the enemy after we all ping them to back off and then he/she tells us that if we ping again, we'll get reported for being toxic towards him/her.

of-course.gif

Gee, not being a dick sure is difficult for a lot of players.

I never had any kind of punishment in over several thousands of matches I've played. I had really bad scores that made me look like I was feeding, internet died many times, played joke builds, refused to surrender, whatever.

Newt

Gee, not being a dick sure is difficult for a lot of players.

I never had any kind of punishment in over several thousands of matches I've played. I had really bad scores that made me look like I was feeding, internet died many times, played joke builds, refused to surrender, whatever.
It's not that it's difficult, it's that it's enjoyable and has benefits.

kenbo

If Lyte said that everybody who was punished this year will be banned from playing for a weekend - "the non-toxic weekend experiment", you'd all be jumping up and down for joy too.

It's not about just deserts, its about the fairness of the concept. t's a problem that he didn't mention it forthright at the start of a season and it's a problem that it's applying to all 'criminals' equally, regardless of severity.

and also, nobody cares about the false positives being punished as well

jerd

You're a lovable asshole tho that's different

Like you said as much shit as you do (pretty sure you've perfected walking that line) this punishment wouldn't even affect you. That should be more telling than anything

Bacon

The people who non ironically talk about how much lyte sucks are always the most toxic. Weird how that tends to work out

kenbo

The people who non ironically talk about how much lyte sucks are always the most toxic. Weird how that tends to work out

Please just address my points rather than trying to imply things.

I honestly have no problem with whatever Lyte has done up until now

drawkcaB

11/0/20 going full tank Skarner (well almost, gotta a BC last item). He's fucking broken. Like, I felt bad playing him because it wasn't fair. Riot could opt to completely remove the passives on his E to bring him back to earth, but I have a feeling they won't. They'll probably chip away at him hitting everything. I think he'll be in a bad spot balance wise going into Worlds.

The word "toxic" is so weird when it comes to League because one would normally assume that someone labeled as a toxic player cusses all the time, says racist things, etc, but most of the time I see stuff like:

"Oh, you're building a defensive item 3rd on an ADC? Stop playing in a toxic manner!"
"-insert common top laner- mid? So toxic"
"________ keeps throwing up surrender votes, pls report for toxic."

Or my favorite- when a teammate always tries 1v2,3,4, or 5 the enemy after we all ping them to back off and then he/she tells us that if we ping again, we'll get reported for being toxic towards him/her.

of-course.gif

Good thing those people are full of shit and players don't get banned for that stuff.

I know it's all in jest, but I'm willing to bet you're not even close to being banned. Those transcripts Lyte used to post to demonstrate what sort of behavior actually incurs bans are fucking vile. It's like jerd said, I don't think people realize how hard it actually is to get banned, nor do players who actually get banned realize how cuntish they've been to other players.

I will say this, that if they just announce it like that without giving players a chance to reform, that's harsh, not necessarily unwarranted, but harsh. Getting banned in January and it bites you in the ass ~10 months later is rough. Riot should state that from here on out, banned players lose their rewards.

Leezard

Toxic people (well, people who were punished) missed out on ranked rewards last season as well. IIRC it was banned people and ranked restricted people. It shouldn't come at such a huge surprise that there's something similar goods season.

Edit : even chat restricted people lost their rewards last season. So, this is like last year except last year they were a bit more lenient with "reform" etc.
https://www.reddit.com/r/leagueofle.../chat_restricted_players_will_not_get_end_of/

So this year we're getting a slightly stricter version of how it went last year.

jerd

I'm really glad to see remilia streaming so much lately. I haven't been able to watch her but i hope it means her anxiety etc. is getting better

I just hope she doesn't read twitch chat because who knows what's going on in that cesspool

Sofo

I couldt never type much on League, let alone go on rants. Don't feel I need to chat for interaction and imo it's better this way! If it was "easier" to type to people or if it was more of a habit in the game itself, I might say things I would otherwise regret...!

Bacon

Please just address my points rather than trying to imply things.

I honestly have no problem with whatever Lyte has done up until now

Sorry dude, but I have a hard time gathering up sympathy for toxic people in the community who try and make the game less fun for others. Especially when their "punishment" is taking away a skin and other useless trinkets. That stuff is a privilege, not a right. Maybe next season they'll learn.

jerd

Low priority q is not affected right? I've been leaving some of my normal games due to shitty ms.

Only 20+ min ones

I couldt never type much on League, let alone go on rants. Don't feel I need to chat for interaction and imo it's better this way! If it was "easier" to type to people or if it was more of a habit in the game itself, I might say things I would otherwise regret...!

Yeah probably 98% of anything you could ever need to say in a game can be said with ctrl+left click

NCR Redslayer

NeoGAF's Vegeta
Sorry dude, but I have a hard time gathering up sympathy for toxic people in the community who try and make the game less fun for others. Especially when their "punishment" is taking away a skin and other useless trinkets. That stuff is a privilege, not a right. Maybe next season they'll learn.

I always forget that league is a service..

Wheres a place where I can sell my account?

Leezard

Morde "support" is shit.

Edit: oh, he was not. He had a shitty vi support instead.

Nevertheless, kalista is a good pick against Morde.

Syndra is fucking broken.

Morde seems okay.

Garen is weak as twinkie filling for the first 15 minutes. I did not like that at all. Lost lane hard to a riven, which never happened to me ever before.

drawkcaB

Disregarding specific champion balance, I think Riot's done a commendable job giving the reworked champions some unique flavour, even if it turns out their unique attributes aren't what ends up getting them picked competitively, it's still a solid set of changes for a class that could really feel homogeneous at times.

killatopak

Gold Member

Morde seems okay.

Garen is weak as twinkie filling for the first 15 minutes. I did not like that at all. Lost lane hard to a riven, which never happened to me ever before.

Maybe the riven was just good? I mean I've beaten Garens before also just a while ago some poster posted his stats against a riven while using Garen and it was a pubstomp. Not saying you're bad but you can't base it on a single game.

kenbo

Morde seems okay.

Syndra is in a really middle to pack spot (or a little lower). Her laning got hit pretty damn hard with no compensation. This is also why Viktor and Azir run rampant.

Garen's laning got hit for sure. Their intent was for "Juggernauts" to be a little weaker in lane for the tradeoff of really high potential in team fights - hence why everything scales with total ad

Dragon Pet is just hilarious

Leezard

Janna is fine, the problem with kalista is that kalista will outright kill Morde if a fight drags on too long. It's still not an unwinnable matchup.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom