• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

League of Legends |OT10| Botlane Was A Mistake, It's Nothing But Thresh

Status
Not open for further replies.

zkylon

zkylewd
here's some doto info: http://na.leagueoflegends.com/na/site/2016-season-update/champion-mastery.html

it's very convoluted and not very well explained but tldr is:
- you get a chest when you or one of your premades gets S rank or better
- up to 4 chests per month, 1 chest per season per champion
- you get keys sometimes for winning games, higher % when playing with friends
- you can buy chests at the store for 125 rp
- you can buy keys at the store for 125 rp
- chests can drop loot (skins, wards, champions, chromas, whatever), shards or essences
- shards are timed loot like a 7-day skin or champion (i wonder how this'll work for ranked).
- essences are combined with shards into permanent unlocks for your account
- if you want to unlock lux you need a lux shard and a champion essence
- if you don't like the shards or loot you got you can combine 3 of the same type into a random new one (and it's guaranteed to give you something you don't own)
- you can break down loot into essences

what a mess

I agree. I just don't see the connection. Not that there HAS to be one to make a fun-to-play champion or anything. Kit > theme.

He's insane because he has to root for a little for his ult? Kinda weak.
i can kind of see his kit leaning a bit on the flashy and spectacle side but only a bit

and it doesn't have to be every spell needs to have a super valid reason for existing and being on his kit, but holistically his kit should give you the feeling of what the champion's personality is

say ori, she doesn't have much of a background for how her ball slows and creates a massive shockwave, but his kit revolves around controlling the ball and fighting through it and that makes sense with what her character should be

compare that to lux, who's supposed to be a light mage and to be able to turn invisible and copy spells and then all she has to say for herself is that her e and ult provide some vision lol.

that doesn't mean a kit is bad or good, it's just that i think rito could do better

Newt

I have to say, Riot did a really terrible job with the reveal, lore aspects and theme of this new champion.

Good thing I don't give a shit about any of that.

His kit looks interesting. I want to play this champion. I want to abuse this champion.

garath

I don't like tying the chest to S rank. It should be a random chance each game maybe with a small boost for performance.

I'm also not a fan of continuing to push all this stuff into premades. What about us mostly solo guys?

Also the thing about Jhin's theme is... well we don't know what it is yet. Like we've seen fuck all about his lore or personality besides him being a perfectionist killer - which translates into his kit as he has limited ammo and they're supposed to count with the last one being a finisher.

You guys say that Bard is cohese if you look at his theme but change his voice to a Brooklyn accent and it all falls apart.

zkylon

zkylewd
You're making it way, way too complicated. But you've been against this from the very beginning.

Get S rank with a champion, get a chest. Can only get it once per season per champion. Four per month. You'll likely have a notification that says "hey, you got your chest on this champion", so it's not confusing at all.

Play games to get keys. Randomly. Get more when you queue in a group.

Chests can drop cosmetic essences or shards. Essences are like baby shards that are temporary unlocks. Combine three to get a shard, which is either a champion unlock, skin unlock, or ward. Those are permanent.

Basically, nothing changes, except maybe now you might want to play 4 champions instead of 3.

I dunno. It's not really confusing. Look at the GIF, it's pretty straightforward.
i didn't say it was confusing, just convoluted

also you only get keys for winning, not for playing

I don't like tying the chest to S rank. It should be a random chance each game maybe with a small boost for performance.

I'm also not a fan of continuing to push all this stuff into premades. What about us mostly solo guys?
it's important to make everything about wins because the #1 thing in the game should always be winning

as soon as you introduce a reward to the game that's not tied to winning you make the game worse by giving people mixed signals of what they should be doing

if ppl say ok if i surrender now i could still get a chest ppl have now a reason to not try as hard since they can just spam games and lose or win they'll still be getting something

league is a competitive game and the only thing that should matter is winning. you can have fun and try wonky builds, but you should never not want to win

Leezard

Keys are random already, being able to get chests often if you want to is nice.

zkylon

zkylewd
what i'm not sure if i like is why they're tying it to one per champion per season

that means that i'm gonna get, say, 10, maybe 15 chests in a year?

this seems like a whole awful lot of systems and incentives for something that's not gonna be that common

and i'm someone that doesn't play ever the same champion twice in a row

i guess it's ok tho since making it common would kind of defeat the purpose of feeling like you got some epic loot

Also the thing about Jhin's theme is... well we don't know what it is yet. Like we've seen fuck all about his lore or personality besides him being a perfectionist killer - which translates into his kit as he has limited ammo and they're supposed to count with the last one being a finisher.

You guys say that Bard is cohese if you look at his theme but change his voice to a Brooklyn accent and it all falls apart.

can't argue with that

if you change bard's voice to a brooklyn accent he does fall apart

There's also a missing part of his kit that wasn't in the reveal, apparently
The reveal is missing something that got locked in too late for localization.
Beauty in Death - Killing blows spawn a blooming flower on the corpse that reveals and slows enemies nearby before detonating for damage.

zkylon

zkylewd
jhin does look fun to play and he looks cool, i just didn't enjoy the hype campaign much, too many teasers and time between them and i really wanted some lore along with the reveal

i don't want to wait even longer for that

Man, I really wish they'd roll out a chroma or two for every champion you master with this Hextech system.
technically you don't get the chest reward for mastering a champion, rather for doing good a single time with them, so not sure if you should get much more of a reward than that

would be nice if you got a shard for that champion when max ranking them. that way you get a limited skin or something

Leezard

what i'm not sure if i like is why they're tying it to one per champion per season

that means that i'm gonna get, say, 10, maybe 15 chests in a year?
Oh, I missed that part. Yeah, that reduces it by a lot. At least it's enough if a premade on your team gets S rank, too.

zkylon

zkylewd
Oh, I missed that part. Yeah, that reduces it by a lot. At least it's enough if a premade on your team gets S rank, too.
oh right

then that actually increases it by a lot for ppl like me that are always playing 4/5-(wo)man premades

tho my friends are a bunch of baddies i have to carry every time and couldn't get an S rank if their lives depended on it

u know whats fkn impossible? s+. u can go like 3-0-32 and not get it then go 4-3 and get it
depends a lot on the role and the champion

it's pretty hard for supports cos i think there's less metrics for them than other classes since supports don't have stuff like dmg dealt or cs to easily tell if you're being carried or not

you only have kill participation and kda as a support and unless you're dying a whole lot it's easy to get high kda as a support since you can just throw a random heal or shield or locket and get free assists (not that it's hard to just aoe as a mage, but you know) which raises the bar for the whole class and makes it more difficult to get higher ranks

it's a lot easier when playing mid cos the game only has to check your % of team's dmg to tell if you're carrying or not, and you can support that with kill participation, kda and cs

also i'd say more mids than supports are crap at their role so the standards are lower

zkylon

zkylewd
jhin's bonus movespeed is not really bonus movespeed, but actually crit

every 10% of crit he gets 5% more slows on his e and speedups on his passive

he also turns all cooldown reduction into energy, and his armor penetration is his mana

if jhin's attack speed reaches 2.5 he then loses one passive stack, turning himself into a real gypsylord champion

Edwardo

0 idea how S+ works. I got one the other day with Bard going 7/1/19, but then I have games like ghost said 3/0/32 or whatever and I get an A or S.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
Problem with tying out of game rewards to in game performance is that metrics go by KDA, so a system like this rewards people to play more passively.

Problem with tying out of game rewards to in game performance is that metrics go by KDA, so a system like this rewards people to play more passively.

I'm happy to be wrong, but I'm pretty sure KDA is only a component. Maybe 1/3'd of whatever pie they're using to determine your grade. I feel like gpm and total damage/healing done (relative to what other people playing that champ do on average) are other determining factors. Maybe even # of wards placed and shit like that if you're playing support? Maybe number of skill shots or abilities actually landed? And of course whether you win or lose. I don't think I've ever gotten an S+ on the losing team.

But I can't shake the feeling that part of it is determined by the specific game you're in and how you perform compared to the enemy counterpart. All conjecture, so it could all be wrong.

zkylon

zkylewd
To be fair, Kalista has an insanely complex passive that functions in a simple way ingame.
it's complicated in its function but it's really simple to explain

- you auto after you jump
- can't cancel autos
- attack speed speeds up jump speed

jhin's (what fucking terrible annoying to write name this is) is super weird:
- has a reload system, four bullets
- fourth bullet crits and does bonus % health
- he doesn't do full crit dmg, crits give him a burst of ms
- his attack speed doesn't scale with attack speed
- he gets ad from bonus attack speed and crit
- he leaves flowers after killing ppl that give vision and explode after a bit dealing dmg

it's a bit much haha

I'm happy to be wrong, but I'm pretty sure KDA is only a component. Maybe 1/3'd of whatever pie they're using to determine your grade. I feel like gpm and total damage/healing done (relative to what other people playing that champ do on average) are other determining factors. Maybe even # of wards placed and shit like that if you're playing support? Maybe number of skill shots or abilities actually landed? And of course whether you win or lose. I don't think I've ever gotten an S+ on the losing team.

But I can't shake the feeling that part of it is determined by the specific game you're in and how you perform compared to the enemy counterpart. All conjecture, so it could all be wrong.
imo the things it should look for is probably

gpm
dmg % of your team
kill participation
deaths

and it probably does, problem is that for supports those first two are not useful

0 idea how S+ works. I got one the other day with Bard going 7/1/19, but then I have games like ghost said 3/0/32 or whatever and I get an A or S.
depends on the champion you were playing since you're rated against the average of players

tho if those two are with the same champion i'm not sure what to say about that heh

here's some doto info: http://na.leagueoflegends.com/na/site/2016-season-update/champion-mastery.html

it's very convoluted and not very well explained but tldr is:
- you get a chest when you or one of your premades gets S rank or better
- up to 4 chests per month, 1 chest per season per champion
- you get keys sometimes for winning games, higher % when playing with friends
- you can buy chests at the store for 125 rp
- you can buy keys at the store for 125 rp
- chests can drop loot (skins, wards, champions, chromas, whatever), shards or essences
- shards are timed loot like a 7-day skin or champion (i wonder how this'll work for ranked).
- essences are combined with shards into permanent unlocks for your account
- if you want to unlock lux you need a lux shard and a champion essence
- if you don't like the shards or loot you got you can combine 3 of the same type into a random new one (and it's guaranteed to give you something you don't own)
- you can break down loot into essences

what a mess
Yep just like you said what a mess. You know the chances for skins and champs are going to be super rare. You will just only get shards and essences, and because there are so many champs it will be super rare for you to get the same ones.
Well i cant wait for league case opps i mean chest opening streams.

garath

My last game was an S on the losing team. I played quite well. My team didn't. Wasn't an S+ but it was still a high grade for a loss.

All in all I've felt like the grading system is pretty accurate. Whatever metrics they use, it's not terrible by far.

My last game was an S on the losing team. I played quite well. My team didn't. Wasn't an S+ but it was still a high grade for a loss.

All in all I've felt like the grading system is pretty accurate. Whatever metrics they use, it's not terrible by far.

Sure, but it wasn't an S+, sir. That was the entire premise. Not just a high score; we all get those when losing from time to time. But an S+ specifically.

If anyone has received an S+ on a losing team, I want to see the screenshot. I've never seen it before and would like to know if it's possible.

Cussing people out in all chat adds points towards your S+ ranking since there's a hidden stat dedicated to how hardcore one is in addition to your normal/ranked MMRs.

garath

Sure, but it wasn't an S+, sir.

If anyone has received an S+ on a losing team, I want to see the screenshot. I've never seen it before and would like to know if it's possible.

One step down!

Considering how rare S+ are to begin with, getting the type of performance required to get it and still lose sounds near impossible. Probably not impossible but near. That screams epic throw.

Newt

Normal games are going to be disadvantageous for getting these chests. That's just how it's going to and should be.

Nekofrog

Banned
i feel like S+'s were easier to get when the system first came out and they tweaked it or something without telling anyone. i quite clearly remember getting way more S+'s when the system first launched, now they're super rare

zkylon

zkylewd
Yep just like you said what a mess. You know the chances for skins and champs are going to be super rare. You will just only get shards and essences, and because there are so many champs it will be super rare for you to get the same ones.
Well i cant wait for league case opps i mean chest opening streams.
that's totally gonna be the case, but it wouldn't make sense for them to regularly give out free champions and skins. this way you may get a bit of free stuff every year, which is nice. they're also gonna be probably handing out chests and keys as parts of events, i bet, and i'm sure they'll do special christmas chests and shards and all that nonsense

it's still tied to manipulative random gambling systems, mind you, but u know, at least the pricing seems sort of reasonable

i feel like S+'s were easier to get when the system first came out and they tweaked it or something without telling anyone. i quite clearly remember getting way more S+'s when the system first launched, now they're super rare
there might've been some tuning behind the scenes, personally i stopped looking at my rankings a long while ago

Or use the recent champ which is kinda broken and get free S ratings

Skux

So the only references to art, beauty and virtuosity are in the ability names, and the rest is an amalgamation of Xerath and Varus. Pretty disappointing.

Leezard

S+ really aren't that difficult. I get 10-20% or so S+ when I play the champs I'm most comfortable with, which feels reasonable.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom