• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

League of Legends |OT10| Botlane Was A Mistake, It's Nothing But Thresh

Status
Not open for further replies.

patchday

Going to wait for project skins to go on sale

Only project hero I'm missing is Lucian cause he hasn't went on sale since I've been active. I really enjoyed playing with him during free rotation too.

Tizoc

Going to wait for project skins to go on sale

Only project hero I'm missing is Lucian cause he hasn't went on sale since I've been active. I really enjoyed playing with him during free rotation too.

That's really what many of us should've done and wanted to do.
But sometimes we get that impulse...

patchday

Has top always been the home of the worst League players? Or is that a recent occurrence? I swear my last 5 games has been nothing but arrogant, single-minded players that don't know how to team fight. Just lost promos....again...because Olaf was trying to 1v1 a Jax who was 5/0/5. Olaf had 0 kills at this point. Olaf said "I can beat him." Then continued to die. I just....I don't...I...just...brain...melting....out...of....ears

one of the first thing I noticed that Top lane is a magnet for terrible players that claim to only know that role. This is because the larger hit point pool tends to hide the lack of skill is my guess

Staying too long stranded in a lane will do things to your head

It's like that Tom Hanks movie but instead of a ball with a face you talk to your wards

Tizoc

Sometimes I wonder why I even ward the brush by my top lane....
Seriously my last game Yi ganked me twice at top even when I had the river warded, I really need to focus on the map more often :/

What do you guys do when you are countered jungle?

In my last game I was playing Eve and Shaco attacked me at red. I was able to get away with a quarter health and pinged for assistance. Bot lane support came, but who I really needed to respond was mid Azir. Instead of responding he waited 13 seconds not doing anything but farm mid. When shaco attacked me red was on half health. He was able to take the rest of while Azir didn't respond. Eventually he comes as Shaco finished and get's away.

In this scenario my only hope was that Azir moves to respond. Or am I wrong? What do you guys do?

garath

In my last game I was playing Eve and Shaco attacked me at red. I was able to get away with a quarter health and pinged for assistance. Bot lane support came, but who I really needed to respond was mid Azir. Instead of responding he waited 13 seconds not doing anything but farm mid. When shaco attacked me red was on half health. He was able to take the rest of while Azir didn't respond. Eventually he comes as Shaco finished and get's away.

In this scenario my only hope was that Azir moves to respond. Or am I wrong? What do you guys do?

If you are facing someone stronger than you at level 2 or that gets the jump on you then you either need your team to collapse on him and punish the invade or just give up that side of the jungle. Its not THAT big of a setback to lose your first red buff. Just recall, buy a ward and go to the other side of your jungle. Get your ward down on the other side entrance to watch for a second invade. If you see him coming ping the hell out of your team again.

When you're facing an invade heavy jungler like Lee, shyvana or shaco then make sure to get your trinket ward down early and perhaps ask someone else to ward an entrance as well. I like to ward over the red buff to the bush behind it right before I start red. A lot of times it shows the enemy jungler standing there. Usually they'll back off if they can't get the jump on you.

patchday

When I got invaded and ganked twice and went to purchase a Sightstone. That prevented the ganks but my team still got steamrolled that match. Havent played jungler since. And that was the 1st time I jungled in a long time too lol

patchday

Yeah one thing I learned from watching pros play in LCS is that both the jungler and support purchase sightstones so they can have nice vision and see danger approaching from a mile away.

Usually I'm the only one that wards. it gets depressing. Looking at my game history I'm the only person that upgrades my ward trinket too.

sometimes I wonder should I return to HOTS. I enjoyed a lot better teammates there. Yes its a vastly simpler game but everyone in hots has the good sense to get vision since it's a map objective

For instance this last match I was just in with a character I never even played before in SR (Syndra) I go 9/4/10. The support character played a good game but she never even purchased a sightstone. And that is one of supports primary function

Tizoc

Yeah one thing I learned from watching pros play in LCS is that both the jungler and support purchase sightstones so they can have nice vision and see danger approaching from a mile away.

Usually I'm the only one that wards. it gets depressing. Looking at my game history I'm the only person that upgrades my ward trinket too.

sometimes I wonder should I return to HOTS. I enjoyed a lot better teammates there. Yes its a vastly simpler game but everyone in hots has the good sense to get vision since it's a map objective

For instance this last match I was just in with a character I never even played before in SR (Syndra) I go 9/4/10. The support character played a good game but she never even purchased a sightstone. And that is one of supports primary function

Everybody with a yellow trinket should ward; ward as you go is what I always say.
Yes warding is a primary function of the support, but they can only ward so much; if you got 500 Gold it won't murder you to get the trinket upgrade.
Won a team fight and are near enemy turrets? Ward their jungle so you can gank them if they go to farm or take a buff for a quick bonus kill.

Seriously it's only 250 Gold, wards will save your life, it's not the job of the support to ward, you can ward too...

garath

Don't stress the level up to 30. You're a little more educated than most people as they learn the game. Once you hit 30 and start playing drafts you'll see the quality of players go up. Then as you improve and your mmr goes up you'll again see it climb. There's a lot to learn in league. Hots is such a simple game in comparison.

Once you're ready and you start playing ranked then you'll get much better matches more suited to your own skill. You'll still get bone headed moves all the time but in general its a much better experience.

Master Yi.

Not that I think he's a good jungler...

Oh yeah. I ignored that because its legendary. I'm very unlikely to buy a legendary skin period let alone a fairly niche champ. :(

patchday

Everybody with a yellow trinket should ward; ward as you go is what I always say.
Yes warding is a primary function of the support, but they can only ward so much; if you got 500 Gold it won't murder you to get the trinket upgrade.
Won a team fight and are near enemy turrets? Ward their jungle so you can gank them if they go to farm or take a buff for a quick bonus kill.

Seriously it's only 250 Gold, wards will save your life, it's not the job of the support to ward, you can ward too...

But that's what I'm saying. I'm the only person on my teams bothering to upgrade the trinket. Unless you're agreeing with me that I'm surrounded by folks with no good sense to ward :)

Don't stress the level up to 30. You're a little more educated than most people as they learn the game. Once you hit 30 and start playing drafts you'll see the quality of players go up. Then as you improve and your mmr goes up you'll again see it climb. There's a lot to learn in league. Hots is such a simple game in comparison.

Once you're ready and you start playing ranked then you'll get much better matches more suited to your own skill. You'll still get bone headed moves all the time but in general its a much better experience.

Yeah just hit 26. I guess I'll finally get there in a few weeks. Thanks

Tizoc

But that's what I'm saying. I'm the only person on my teams bothering to upgrade the trinket. Unless you're agreeing with me that I'm surrounded by folks with no good sense to ward :)

Yeah just hit 26. I guess I'll finally get there in a few weeks. Thanks

I agree with you 1000%

subtles

I'm still really regretting not playing Jayce or Rumble over Lulu yesterday. :(

I'm hoping we can all play again soon as none of my friends in NA play league. :/

subtles

dude lulu is the best

why would u pick jayce when you can zippy all day
It's one of the benefits of hindsight I guess. We fell behind early and I didn't really know the Lulu vs Olaf matchup so I played a little too cautiously and had bad wave management due to a necessary recall. Rumble and Jayce are the champions I have the most experience on and I'm quite sure we would have had a better mid game if I was on one of them. Zipping doesn't do much when the score is 3-14. (Although I ended the game 0/0/0, thus Newt failed us Kappa)

drawkcaB

Just to supplement what garath said, if you're against a jungler who is likely going to invade, just change things up. I'm willing to bet you did Gromp -> Blue -> Red and Shaco was running smite/ignite. It's a dead giveaway he wants to invade in the first few levels. Shaco assumes that his opponent will be predictable - which coincidentaly makes him predictable as well.

Because Shaco relies on boxes to assist in clearing at level 1, he's generally going to put down a nest at either buff camp to start his clear. Because he needs to put down about 4 of them, his early mana use is quite high, although his health stays very high. 9/10 times this means a Blue buff start. At this point the Shaco will either clear an additional camp and then hope to catch the opponent at Red, or will go for the opponents Red camp immediately after for the steal.

So, switch it up. Start Red buff. Clear Gromp ->Blue-> Wolves->Crab then back. If you places a ward near the blue entrance of his jungle to catch when he invades you could just return the favor and invade his side of the jungle (honestly, you can do this even without vision of Shaco, they're that predictable). Or do a level 2 gank if the opportunity presents itself.

Don't be obsessed with defending buff camps, honestly. The benefits of blue and red buff aren't that good anymore early on and every camp is worth the same amount of XP and gold, IIRC.

Nekofrog

Banned
zilean is actually pretty good, even though a lot of people give it shit.

the zoning potential of his bombs, maxing E over Q, and the bullshit ultimate that is still bullshit.

it's going to come back.

garath

Just to supplement what garath said, if you're against a jungler who is likely going to invade, just change things up. I'm willing to bet you did Gromp -> Blue -> Red and Shaco was running smite/ignite. It's a dead giveaway he wants to invade in the first few levels. Shaco assumes that his opponent will be predictable - which coincidentaly makes him predictable as well.

Because Shaco relies on boxes to assist in clearing at level 1, he's generally going to put down a nest at either buff camp to start his clear. Because he needs to put down about 4 of them, his early mana use is quite high, although his health stays very high. 9/10 times this means a Blue buff start. At this point the Shaco will either clear an additional camp and then hope to catch the opponent at Red, or will go for the opponents Red camp immediately after for the steal.

So, switch it up. Start Red buff. Clear Gromp ->Blue-> Wolves->Crab then back. If you places a ward near the blue entrance of his jungle to catch when he invades you could just return the favor and invade his side of the jungle (honestly, you can do this even without vision of Shaco, they're that predictable). Or do a level 2 gank if the opportunity presents itself.

Don't be obsessed with defending buff camps, honestly. The benefits of blue and red buff aren't that good anymore early on and every camp is worth the same amount of XP and gold, IIRC.

That's another really good point. Instead of starting gromp or golems, start with the actual buff. It mixes up your jungle pattern, leaves them a less important objective to fight over and gives you a buff to fight with if it did come to that. A lot of times an invader might invade and see no buff and just retreat. Its risky to try and find the jungler at one of the other camps closer to the laners.

Frankly that's something I should have done my last game against a Lee.

I was until a month ago. Got fed up with it so instead of bitching about it on reddit I just moved on to another lane.

Yeah I played a lot of top and got burnt out, so I switched to mid. Mid is a lot harder but more fun.
It seems like I am going to be mid, if we do ranked this weekend.

drawkcaB

zilean is actually pretty good, even though a lot of people give it shit.

the zoning potential of his bombs, maxing E over Q, and the bullshit ultimate that is still bullshit.

it's going to come back.

I think so too, said as much months ago. Paired with, or against, diving comps to make the placement of double bomb stuns he becomes a exceptionally strong teamfighter. I managed to get three double bombs in a single teamfight some time ago. Real game changer for something on a med length timer.

Frankly that's something I should have done my last game against a Lee.

Yeah, playing support tank junglers in the era of Lee/Elise/Rengar /Kha was a real learning experience.

zkylon

zkylewd
i think i kind of liked my test on mid lizzy, but i need some more tests.

i went tp flash so i could like basically trade potions, recall and then tp back with a second dorans and some more pots and then went with a roa into zhonyas build. catalyst+2 dorans felt pretty ok for mana and since roa is less tanky now it's not so bad on her and gives her some nice extra scaling. you miss out on cdr early on but i feel the sustain, tankiness and dmg compensates kind of ok

she's still pretty bad tho, it's depressing how little dmg she deals

You are on Na right, also we just need to find 3 more ppl.

yup

Of course I will volunteer my sublime marksmen skills if needed.

ZDsxCCG.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom