• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

League of Legends |OT10| Botlane Was A Mistake, It's Nothing But Thresh

Status
Not open for further replies.

kenbo

That's why I don't design champs.

proper design utilises the concept of a 'power budget'. when a champion is incredibly versatile, as in the ability to do two opposite things but scale at both - it takes away from the 'power budget'

damage/support modes - you have two choices:

1. skills are reasonably powered - form swap must be on a large cooldown to pay for the power of the skills + the versatility

2. form swap on a low cooldown - the skills have to be really weak to pay for the versatility

in design 1, you're making it hard for the player to enjoy the champion because they basically have 3 skills most of the time. choice 1 is similar to gnar, who trades the ability to control his mode swap for more power. also - tank + damage is less versatile than damage + heal which gives gnar some power back too.

design 2, nobody likes weak ass skills. sona is a good example of choice 2 - however she only has 4 abilities, so you will lose even more by having access to 6.

you can make all the spells really short ranged/melee, make the champion melee with limited mobility to account and ignore the two choices above, but then I question what's the point of having shitty low ranged damage spells and no mobility

Bacon

proper design utilises the concept of a 'power budget'. when a champion is incredibly versatile, as in the ability to do two opposite things but scale at both - it takes away from the 'power budget'

damage/support modes - you have two choices:

1. skills are reasonably powered - form swap must be on a large cooldown to pay for the power of the skills + the versatility

2. form swap on a low cooldown - the skills have to be really weak to pay for the versatility

in design 1, you're making it hard for the player to enjoy the champion because they basically have 3 skills most of the time. choice 1 is similar to gnar, who trades the ability to control his mode swap for more power. also - tank + damage is less versatile than damage + heal

design 2, nobody likes weak ass skills. sona is a good example of choice 2 - however she only has 4 abilities, so you will lose even more by having access to 6.

you can make all the spells really short ranged/melee, make the champion melee with limited mobility to account and ignore the two choices above, but then I question what's the point of having shitty low ranged damage spells and no mobility

Very interesting post. Thanks for this

NCR Redslayer

NeoGAF's Vegeta
I beat Dark souls yesterday and parried the shit out of the final boss. And I just beat the first Dlc of destiny today.

So now I'm gonna try the patch and see if i can beat ranked.

zkylon

zkylewd
Yeah I agree if they wanted her kit to fit more into duality concept. You would make her have 2 modes or maybe like how karma is, where if you change modes one is more about healing a support and a mode for combat. Then she would be a support, like lulu where you can play her mid or top, but she is also a support.
nah, i think they could've just done a lot more with a normal champion kit

like the w - q interaction is neat, but e is meh, and q and w outside of that interaction are meh too.

ult is a cool spell but is could've easily been bard's ult or whatever

passive just feels like a jungle enabler thing

a full set of damage skills
a full set of support skills

oh boy I cant see what will go wrong here

there's a good reason why most "dualities" so far are melee <-> ranged
i mean, melee / ranged has been kind of a disaster too lol, with champions like jayce just taking the best out of both worlds and shit

but i don't think form changers are that interesting anyways, so not necessarily a fan of that approach for kindred either.

like say elise or nidalee they have two forms but it's not like you have to do much thinking about which form to use, it's basically just a champion with 6 spells instead of 4, which is fine, but not really cool enough, specially cos all form changers kind of have this mashallthebuttons mode in which they just exhaust all their ranged spells and then do the same with melee which isn't super interesting :/

I beat Dark souls yesterday and parried the shit out of the final boss. And I just beat the first Dlc of destiny today.

So now I'm gonna try the patch and see if i can beat ranked.
u should do ng+

you'll breeze thru it and it's really enjoyable to see everything again now that you've mastered it

kind of feels like an epilogue to your adventure, like looking back and seeing how capra demon felt impossible once and now he can't even hit you, that kind of thing

NCR Redslayer

NeoGAF's Vegeta
Congrats dude.
I learned to parry with a target shield just to beat that boss and almost felt bad about it.
u should do ng+

you'll breeze thru it and it's really enjoyable to see everything again now that you've mastered it

kind of feels like an epilogue to your adventure, like looking back and seeing how capra demon felt impossible once and now he can't even hit you, that kind of thing

I could just fight the tauras demon but i dont want to waste anymore time with a 4 year old game because yo, new videogamez tho.

zkylon

zkylewd
second part of patch rundown: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ooyo6CWXN3Y

apparently they're now gonna do it split into two, one part is like about the idea behind the patch, the other part is gonna be more nitty gritty balance changes and stuffs

or something

i think it's cool, i always wished patch rundowns were longer and more in-depth

I could just fight the tauras demon and i dont want to waste anymore time with a 4 year old game because yo, new videogamez tho.
i mean, can't think of that many new games that are better, so ehh...

i still gotta finish my no-shield run, i got stuck trying to kill smough first for some reason, i think i'm just gonna do ornstein first and move on with the game

kenbo

nah, i think they could've just done a lot more with a normal champion kit

like the w - q interaction is neat, but e is meh, and q and w outside of that interaction are meh too.

ult is a cool spell but is could've easily been bard's ult or whatever

passive just feels like a jungle enabler thing

i mean, melee / ranged has been kind of a disaster too lol, with champions like jayce just taking the best out of both worlds and shit

but i don't think form changers are that interesting anyways, so not necessarily a fan of that approach for kindred either.

like say elise or nidalee they have two forms but it's not like you have to do much thinking about which form to use, it's basically just a champion with 6 spells instead of 4, which is fine, but not really cool enough, specially cos all form changers kind of have this mashallthebuttons mode in which they just exhaust all their ranged spells and then do the same with melee which isn't super interesting :/
wat

elise takes some pretty high skill
sure her 'damage rotation' can be pretty faceroll, but that's what a lot of spell based damage can seem like

I think the problem with kindred's abilities is that Wolf detaches from Lamb and persists on the map when the W is cast

E could've easily been expressed as Wolf grabbing people to slow them and boosting Kindred's hit on them for 3 hits... but how would that work with the current W?

Q could've been expressed as a dash where wolf flies off and bites the closest target + an arc around it... again, how does that affect the current W?

The W is pretty cool, and makes Wolf feel like he "exists" but as it is has defined the rest of Kindred's spells, preventing them from designing a Wolf more involved in the rest of the abilities.

The alternative is to create a zone of chaos like trundle's W where wolf becomes 'unchained' and dissipates, appearing to attack somebody and disappearing again

zkylon

zkylewd
as someone that used to like elise a lot i never understood why ppl say she's so hard to play. like you cocoon and press all the buttons, what's so difficult about that. no tricky skillshots, not that many situational spells, etc.

like the super difficult thing about her is how impossibly annoying her autoing animation is lol

kindred's spells, i duno, vfx are one thing i guess

i just think her kit doesn't give wolf as much of the spotlight, and the visual design is that way too

kenbo

as someone that used to like elise a lot i never understood why ppl say she's so hard to play. like you cocoon and press all the buttons, what's so difficult about that. no tricky skillshots, not that many situational spells, etc.

like the super difficult thing about her is how impossibly annoying her autoing animation is lol

kindred's spells, i duno, vfx are one thing i guess

i just think her kit doesn't give wolf as much of the spotlight, and the visual design is that way too
She has two ways to enter a gank and they involve different patterns. the judgement of which to use is more involved than most junglers

pull off the rappel to minion and stun

volatile spider into spider Q for those in minion fights

pull off tower dives to abuse her early game cos her late game is lacklustre

spell dodge with rappel since hers has more delay than trollpole n pool

I think you're looking at her at way too much as a damage source, like shes a mid laner or something.

zkylon

zkylewd
She has two ways to enter a gank and they involve different patterns. the judgement of which to use is more involved than most junglers

pull off the rappel to minion and stun

volatile spider into spider Q for those in minion fights

pull off tower dives to abuse her early game cos her late game is lacklustre

spell dodge with rappel since hers has more delay than trollpole n pool

I think you're looking at her at way too much as a damage source, like shes a mid laner or something.
i dunno, i mean, yea she might be more complicated than like jarvan or whatever but that's not saying much

kenbo

She's more complicated than 50% of the cast

her forms are more than melee vs ranged

she has to choose between cc vs mobility/survivability where as nid/jayce choose between the range of their damage

nid gets mobility vs healing but those are both ways of saying 'I want to stay alive'

elise's "live" spell is tied to her mobility spell so you need to make sure you don't need it before you dash in and mid game, her cc is most effective with her mobility spell, which locks her out of her damage

elise has trade offs depending on spell order whilst nid and jayce just have binary patterns of poke or all in

patchday

Bout to try Zac jungle. Pretty scared. I've only did top lane with him once & got lucky pick on him in ARAM where he kicked so much butt for me

jerd

second part of patch rundown: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ooyo6CWXN3Y

apparently they're now gonna do it split into two, one part is like about the idea behind the patch, the other part is gonna be more nitty gritty balance changes and stuffs

or something

i think it's cool, i always wished patch rundowns were longer and more in-depth

i mean, can't think of that many new games that are better, so ehh...

i still gotta finish my no-shield run, i got stuck trying to kill smough first for some reason, i think i'm just gonna do ornstein first and move on with the game

Two hand uchigatana is the best shit in that game. I really dislike using shields for some reason tho. I made it about halfway through ng+ then got too anxious to start ds2

zkylon

zkylewd
She's more complicated than 50% of the cast

her forms are more than melee vs ranged

she has to choose between cc vs mobility/survivability where as nid/jayce choose between the range of their damage

nid gets mobility vs healing but those are both ways of saying 'I want to stay alive'

elise's "live" spell is tied to her mobility spell so you need to make sure you don't need it before you dash in and mid game, her cc is most effective with her mobility spell, which locks her out of her damage

elise has trade offs depending on spell order whilst nid and jayce just have binary patterns of poke or all in

don't agree

all ur saying i feel are subtleties other champions have too, and like i think ur giving her too much credit.

like poke or all in is nida and jayce, but that's elise too. throw cocoons until one lands, then mash, there's no reason to turn spider in a gank if u failed ur coccoon.

on pressure to gank early, u can say the same about pantheon. i duno about different gank techniques or whatever, but i don't think that makes her super deep

and i duno, more complicated than 50% of the roster isn't saying much imo. like 50% of the roster is pretty lame lol

edit: also you're confusing me cos you're comparing elise to junglers then jayce/nidalee :p

Two hand uchigatana is the best shit in that game. I really dislike using shields for some reason tho. I made it about halfway through ng+ then got too anxious to start ds2
i don't like katanas much, i generally use rapiers/swords/spears and bigger two handed stuff like greatswords. i'm also a huge fan of twohanding lifehunt scythe, it's my favorite weapon in the series

my build was like a rapier and off hand parry dagger that i sometimes switched for a talisman so i could goof around with force lol

Now play Bloodborne :)

Dark Souls was so great tho. I loved being a Darkwraith. Pvp was incredible
sadly ps4s in argieland are like 800usd so no bloodborne for me :<

tho i've seen some of the spiders in that game and i dunno if i can play it anyways :T

kenbo

don't agree

all ur saying i feel are subtleties other champions have too, and like i think ur giving her too much credit.

like poke or all in is nida and jayce, but that's elise too. throw cocoons until one lands, then mash, there's no reason to turn spider in a gank if u failed ur coccoon.

on pressure to gank early, u can say the same about pantheon. i duno about different gank techniques or whatever, but i don't think that makes her super deep

well isn't that the problem with our discussion

elise is almost all about her ganks.

sure, any scrub can just splooge her stun on someone and mash buttons like some pleb can button mash riven with some success.

zkylon

zkylewd
well isn't that the problem with our discussion

elise is almost all about her ganks.

sure, any scrub can just splooge her stun on someone and mash buttons like some pleb can button mash riven with some success.
i mean

she has two techniques, one that is literally walking up and throwing coccoon. and if there are minions in the middle rappel first

she's not freaking lee sin

Nekofrog

Banned
LEE SIN DECISION MAKING GUIDE:

did i throw Q out?
--NO: throw Q out
--YES: did it hit anyone?
--------NO: walk away sad
--------YES: take Q. it doesn't matter what will happen, you must take what you have landed.

patchday

I gotta disagree with you guys; Elise is pretty difficult champion to learn. Since she has a transformation that means she's got a lot more skills to learn.

but im not gonna bother to argue that point any further cause I know everyone's got their own opinions :)

zkylon

zkylewd
yeah and elise is pretty much as complicated on a decision making level as lee sin
decision making maybe, mechanics and skill ceiling no

i feel like "decision making" overall is overrated, lots of champions share similar decision making requirements etc

edit: i guess skill ceiling is too vague, so ignore that

why not get an import? they are all region free.
we have 40% tax on imports plus we can only import 2 things per year so i duno

also there's always the risk that someone at customs will just steal it

like saving 200 usd or something for all that stress is probably not worth it for the kind of neurotic person i am

Type2

I gotta disagree with you guys; Elise is pretty difficult champion to learn. Since she has a transformation that means she's got a lot more skills to learn.

but im not gonna bother to argue that point any further cause I know everyone's got their own opinions :)
Elise is not difficult to find success with but has potential in her kit for outplay and variety in ganking patterns. Each champion has a set of conditions they need to consider when ganking a lane ex) waiting for a flash before using a certain skill, landing a skill, when to use their gap closer and other examples . Elise and lee sin have more flexible approaches than most Junglers because of multiple ways to layer abilities.

kenbo

LEE SIN DECISION MAKING GUIDE:

did i throw Q out?
--NO: throw Q out
--YES: did it hit anyone?
--------NO: walk away sad
--------YES: take Q. it doesn't matter what will happen, you must take what you have landed.
Woah watch out we have a Lee sin pro here

patchday

Leona, I think I have found a place where you belong (for me)

eam1z23.jpg

killatopak

Gold Member
Aatrox was actually my main way way back when I didn't even know anything about item builds. I have fond memories of him cuz he gave me my first penta. I think I bought him around the time Kalista was released.

He was pretty good back when split pushing was meta cause he can stay in lane forever.

patchday

when I first started I thought he was the shiznit and unkillable opponent. but now I never see him and the rare time he shows up on enemy team I just wait for aatrox to recharge and pwn him for good

it's also worth pointing out that the Kindred in the video has 40 passive stacks because free counter jungling

That is an absurd boost in damage that is unrealistic in any normal game.

How much damage does Kindred gain right now from each stack?

1.25% of the target's current health. So with 40 stacks that's 50% of the target's current health.

I would be surprised if people even get 20 stacks in a normal game unless they're just dominating the enemy jungler, in which case the game would end quickly anyway.

Leezard

1.25% current health
1.25% of the target's current health. So with 40 stacks that's 50% of the target's current health.

I would be surprised if people even get 20 stacks in a normal game unless they're just dominating the enemy jungler, in which case the game would end quickly anyway.

All right, thanks. That is indeed quite absurd. I wonder what number of stacks is normal in mid game. 8-12?

All right, thanks. That is indeed quite absurd. I wonder what number of stacks is normal in mid game. 8-12?

in a 30-40 minute game I'd wager maybe 12ish, 15 or more if you're winning hard.

It all depends on how much you get to counter-jungle and how proactive you are at killing the enemy you have your passive on. You could end up with less if you use your passive for mind games.

Also since your passive is visible to the enemy team, they know which camps you're going to counterjungle so you can be really starved.

But yeah. That video is a full damage build Kindred (not sure how common it will be) with double or more the amount of stacks a normal Kindred would have.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom