• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

League of Legends |OT2| So free, it's only 8000 USD!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blizzard

Banned

MultiCore

Riven's one of my two absolute favorite champions, and Riven/Fizz/Ziggs/Teemo are some of the very few champions where I occasionally feel like I'm actually having FUN with the mechanics and not merely punishing myself or something by playing...so count me interested if what you say is true. :p

It's more along the lines of being disappointed with their creative bankruptcy at this point.

I agree though, sounds also like Xin and Yi(ult sounds like a combo of Alpha Strike, and Ken's ult).

Blizzard

Banned
It's more along the lines of being disappointed with their creative bankruptcy at this point.

I agree though, sounds also like Xin and Yi.
I don't mean to sound like a jerk, but we know at least three Riot people read this thread -- what champion mechanics would you want to see, that you would not consider creatively bankrupt?

I don't know anyone in the game with a magic-reflecting ability, so I'm looking forward to seeing if it's useful. Just looking over the abilities, it sounds like what's going to happen is that Fiora's super movespeed will be useless as soon as someone clicks an auto-target CC attack lke Sion's or Taric's or Annie's.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
I don't mean to sound like a jerk, but we know at least three Riot people read this thread -- what champion mechanics would you want to see, that you would not consider creatively bankrupt?

I don't know anyone in the game with a magic-reflecting ability, so I'm looking forward to seeing if it's useful. Just looking over the abilities, it sounds like what's going to happen is that Fiora's super movespeed will be useless as soon as someone clicks an auto-target CC attack lke Sion's or Taric's or Annie's.
It isn't a magic reflecting ability. It blocks a basic auto-attack and returns magic damage. Not all that different from Jax.

Blizzard

Banned
It isn't a magic reflecting ability. It blocks a basic auto-attack and returns magic damage. Not all that different from Jax.
Oh I see, it deals the damage that would have been done back as magic damage...making it even worse than Jax. Oh well. (I don't think Jax needs to be autoattacked at all anymore, by the way, unlike his previous setup.)

dimb

Oh I see, it deals the damage that would have been done back as magic damage...making it even worse than Jax. Oh well. (I don't think Jax needs to be autoattacked at all anymore, by the way, unlike his previous setup.)
Well it will probably do more single target damage than Jax's skill, but it won't have the stun obviously, and Jax no longer requires people attacking him (although it does boost the damage).

JesseZao

I think they've been doing a good job with champs. The ults I like are ones that present new/different choices in team fights. Maybe something that binds everyone in range of a pillar where it's placed, and must be destroyed for the caught people to move again (do you need to break the pillar or keep focusing on dpsing the enemy and just try to survive. A team tunnel/teleport ult. An animal handler ult i.e. you send a pack of wolves through an area.

Having ults create new targets on screen could be hard to handle and balance though. It would be nice to have the option for a focus target frame or have enemy portraits on screen since it's sometimes hard to get the right target selected in a clustered teamfight.

Other ideas for ults probably just wouldn't work for the engine. I had thought of an ult similar to Jarvan in that you choose an enemy or maybe grab enemies in a small radius around you and teleport them into the void and whoever lives emerges. You would leave behind a shielded portal that people left behind could destroy to bring you back early.
Another one would be a sort of mind control confusion/paranoia. You would confuse an enemy into seeing allies as enemy champions after a brief blackout a la noc or a postion scramble whirlwind. Some ult that blinds the map for a time unless to reach brush before the supernova/flash.

Anyway, more interesting choices and more game mold shake-ups.

Got my 1st PVP Win earlier. God, I love Ziggs so much. Learning him has been fun as shit, unlike Taric, which I'm quickly wishing I hadn't unlocked him & a skin for him.

MultiCore

You made my case pretty well, sir.

I know all these games are 'borrowing' from each other, and I know it's tough to come up with new mechanics all the time, and it's clearly difficult for them to balance what they have currently.

Not sure what I'm getting at, but when there's a new champ every two weeks or so, and we all look at it and say, "Oh, it's just like that other champ." and "That makes everyone who bought the last champ look like an idiot." there surely must be something amiss, right?

Not sure what I'm getting at, but when there's a new champ every two weeks or so, and we all look at it and say, "Oh, it's just like that other champ." and "That makes everyone who bought the last champ look like an idiot." there surely must be something amiss, right?
Maybe they'll stop at 100.

MultiCore

Maybe they'll stop at 100.

No, because that's not how they're going to keep an increasingly ADD player base interested in a game design that's 5+ years old. And they need to keep them around to buy skins, because every player that's *really* addicted to this game gets all their champs via IP.

They want an ever increasing pool of champs that the balance can be changed on all the time to 'keep it fresh', and get people to buy skins for the OP champ of the month.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Duelist (passive) - Vorpal Blade
Lunge - Spirit Rush + Generic Blinkstrike
Riposte - Passive + Shield
Burst of Speed - Steroid + Highlander
Blade Waltz (ultimate) - Omnishlash

God damn Riot, you're not even trying anymore. Just slap a pair of tits on old skills and call it a new champ.

Will still buy.

Blizzard

Banned
No, because that's not how they're going to keep an increasingly ADD player base interested in a game design that's 5+ years old. And they need to keep them around to buy skins, because every player that's *really* addicted to this game gets all their champs via IP.

They want an ever increasing pool of champs that the balance can be changed on all the time to 'keep it fresh', and get people to buy skins for the OP champ of the month.
Why would people want skins for the OP champion of the month? They can just add new champions as long as each one is powerful and nerfed four weeks after release (Ziggs). I think someone pointed out the calculations earlier in this thread, how you'd need to play like crazy for a year or something before you could earn enough IP to unlock all of the 6300 IP champions, including the ones that will be released by that point in time.

All they really have to do besides expensive skins is to constantly add expensive champions, preferably very powerful at release, and possibly charge for some gameplay-affecting things like rune pages. That combination of things should make a fair number of people pay for the game.

Boken

Banned
Nothing is like Riven so all this arguing has its validity questioned.

Riot also has said they're going to slow down once they hit 100 champs

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Guys guys guys.

I have an idea.

FEMALE VARIANT SKINS of male champions, for 975 RP each.

That way, Riot can continue to make money, without making their game more imbalanced than it already is.

u7URG.jpg

Such a long match with very few total kills. This is one of those comeback wins though as we were down 6-15 at one point. We managed to stay away from baits and team fights we weren't confident we could take down once the laning phase was over.

Can I not be jungle shen plz...its so slow and boring.

MultiCore

Why would people want skins for the OP champion of the month? They can just add new champions as long as each one is powerful and nerfed four weeks after release (Ziggs). I think someone pointed out the calculations earlier in this thread, how you'd need to play like crazy for a year or something before you could earn enough IP to unlock all of the 6300 IP champions, including the ones that will be released by that point in time.

The effect is the same either way; the player-base keeps investing time and/or money to keep up.

It's 20 games a day for 6 months, btw.

All they really have to do besides expensive skins is to constantly add expensive champions, preferably very powerful at release, and possibly charge for some gameplay-affecting things like rune pages. That combination of things should make a fair number of people pay for the game.

As I said, the effect is the same. Saw a surgeon Shen today, for example. Not sure what you're suggesting, but OP new champ=OP buff to old champ, IMO. And OP new champ -> nerfed beyond usefullness seeems to be the norm,

Their balance sways constantly. People like Chaox describe champs as old as Sivir as "Broken". I know it's tough, but they have all the server info about every match. Surely they can see what the real results of every balance change they make are.

On the flip side, we don't want a game where the end result is everyone smashing their heads against each other, and nobody coming out ahead. Player skill is still a factor, it must be, and it's hard to make a game where you balance that factor out.

I don't know what their answer is. It can probably never be perfect, and I have good faith that they're working constantly to make LoL better. But, I believe that to be tempered with their desire to earn a paycheck each month, possibly at the expense of the most optimal experience.

MultiCore

Balance changes and new content is appealing. If there wasn't any people would be constantly asking for that stuff.

Oh I agree. I just think there might be too much change at any given time for them to balance optimally.

For instance, in one patch, there will be a new champ, and buffs/nerfs to 10 other champs. Mabye an item remake too.

Don't get me wrong, if they need to change things, get it changed. I think it's just hard to see all possible outcomes of these changes when they happen so often.

Nothing is like Riven so all this arguing has its validity questioned.

Riot also has said they're going to slow down once they hit 100 champs

It wouldn't surprise me if they are just trying to match DotA's character roster in size. After that, they'd likely switch to the much more sane pace DotA has; characters every so often, and tweaks every two weeks.

Had my 1st loss earlier today, but man, it was one of those matches that was back & forth and went to the very end. Hated losing, but was just a great match. Evenly matched, everyone played smoothly and didn't have any derp derps on either side.

With that being said.....

My 2nd win of today had the King Derp Derp on my team and had both sides forcing him to leave the game. Even faced with a 4v5 match, we punched out a win, which was great.

That's true. Thanks for the video!

Had my 1st loss earlier today, but man, it was one of those matches that was back & forth and went to the very end. Hated losing, but was just a great match. Evenly matched, everyone played smoothly and didn't have any derp derps on either side.

With that being said.....

My 2nd win of today had the King Derp Derp on my team and had both sides forcing him to leave the game. Even faced with a 4v5 match, we punched out a win, which was great.

Sounds like an epic game, man!

Riot's mined the same design space too much. Another melee fighter with gap closer, generic steroid skills and a fairly uninspired ultimate (omnislash, i mean uh alpha strike, i mean uh this new skill over here). Really?

Yes, it's a few degrees off from the existing options but it feels entirely stale at this point.

Speaking as a huge fan of the game.

Boken

Banned
You should be able to match his CS unless he's pushing you really hard - which is only possible if your jungler is asleep or you're really behind somehow.

Then post level 6:
Wall of Pain CD: 18s
Lightning Rush CD: 10-6s

Kennen's ult helps in a fight, Karthus' ult doesn't. You should be able to zone him at the very least.

dimb

You should be able to match his CS unless he's pushing you really hard - which is only possible if your jungler is asleep or you're really behind somehow.
Pretty much how a lot of games go down at my level of ELO. I still feel like I would rather just pick Veigar or Xerath against Karthus.

Boken

Banned
Pitch your ideas for us
and then we'll complain
You can complain after Riot send me an offer and the champion gets released.

Pretty much how a lot of games go down at my level of ELO. I still feel like I would rather just pick Veigar or Xerath against Karthus.
Yeah, there are better counters to Karthus than Kennen. But I still think that post 6 is much in Keenan's favour due to the difference between rush vs wall and ult vs ult making up for whatever cs you may have lost under tower.

Farming with kennen is easy even when you're zoned. The range on the Q is crazy.

Kennen is a poor wave clearer though, and can easily get pushed to tower = lose some cs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom