• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

League of Legends |OT2| So free, it's only 8000 USD!

Status
Not open for further replies.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
Hardly, it claims it's only like 1379!

Also I couldn't get myself or other people to show up on that site so presumably I'm doing something wrong.
If you were looking me up I'm 2100 normal. Trust me.

Also I keep running into the player "KatyPerryIsSexy" in my games. It's weird.

ElectraStar

Also, little known fact about Fiddlesticks, but his passion isn't just silencing, fearing, and ulting nubs. He also has a passion for dining and wineing:

FiddlesticksBar.jpg

IT'S TOTALLY IN THE LORE GUYS. SMALL PRINT

There is also a Warwick Hotel in midtown, and a Vladdy's jewelry shop in Spanish Harlem.

Blizzard

Banned
Also, little known fact about Fiddlesticks, but his passion isn't just silencing, fearing, and ulting nubs. He also has a passion for dining and wineing:

IT'S TOTALLY IN THE LORE GUYS. SMALL PRINT

There is also a Warwick Hotel in midtown, and a Vladdy's jewelry shop in Spanish Harlem.
I could totally see pirate Fiddlesticks relaxing in a pub like that.

dimb

Played Kog'maw in ranked today. My team was down like 3 to 19 at the 20 minute mark. Somehow we came back in team fights and managed to really capitalize on objectives after any kills. Wound up just crushing the enemy team in team fights even though we were way behind on gold. Also grabbed Baron by soloing him for the last 15% while the enemy team chased Skarner around and I just flashed out and walked away. Kog'maw how are you so cool?
coolmaw0njzg.png

Ferga

why am I on that lolmatches site i didn't even download it

this illuminati shit

I think it's just backwards engineering/programming where you can get everyone's player statistics from Riot. So it has your stats whether you have signed up or not.

Mxrz

Well, shit.

I sat down to play a match, and checked the patch notes. Rammus and Janna hit? I can't claim to be good enough to bitch about whether it was needed or not, but ow. Janna was my support/ap/bot of choice when top/jungle were taken. Sorta expected bad things were a'coming when I saw Janna topics popping up after the Sona nerfs.

I was starting to feel ballsy with Rammus early. (I'm) Still not a great jungler, but coming out early at level 4 with full health was nice.

brian!

oh actually, it's probably because I played a game with someone who had it. The only logged game they have of me is where we got stomped yesterday and I did play some after that.

Well, shit.

I sat down to play a match, and checked the patch notes. Rammus and Janna hit? I can't claim to be good enough to bitch about whether it was needed or not, but ow. Janna was my support/ap/bot of choice when top/jungle were taken. Sorta expected bad things were a'coming when I saw Janna topics popping up after the Sona nerfs.

I was starting to feel ballsy with Rammus early. Still not a great jungler, but coming out early at level 4 with full health was nice.

rammus is a godly ganker, wards are useless unless you have like three of them (one in each side bush, and one in the river wayyyy down since he just blows past them anyway), and his kit is stronnnng for ganks.

Ken

Played Kog'maw in ranked today. My team was down like 3 to 19 at the 20 minute mark. Somehow we came back in team fights and managed to really capitalize on objectives after any kills. Wound up just crushing the enemy team in team fights even though we were way behind on gold. Also grabbed Baron by soloing him for the last 15% while the enemy team chased Skarner around and I just flashed out and walked away. Kog'maw how are you so cool?
]

Any tips for playing as Kog'maw? I just started using him.

Thanks Ashe, you really helped our team by insisting to solo push a lane when we needed to defend, and no enemy champs were visible, and your place wasn't warded, and they had a fed Twitch, and you had no Oracles.

bg3sE.jpg

It's annoying how no one else bought Oracles. I killed Twitch several times just because he unluckily walked in stealthed where I was going. Bought a shitload of Vision Wards and all the buff items but I still had more than 2k gold that I don't know what else to do with. I suppose I could've swapped Aegis for GAngel.

Their Cait was good though. I really have a hard time trying to pull her in without them blasting me to smithereens.

Blizzard

Banned
Did I miss some double-AD carry meta change? Your game has two AD ranged on each team, and I might have seen 2-3 enemy teams yesterday that had it.

Also on your Ashe note, I feel like one of the single biggest problems in super low ELO games is people going alone. It doesn't matter if you had a ward, it doesn't matter if you just saw 3-5 enemies in the bush, in the jungle, about 5 seconds ago. It doesn't matter if you literally get 6 "RUN AWAY" pings as you are walking alone into the jungle. You will still go alone, into the jungle, with 4 people missing, and then you will instantly die since, shockingly, those 4 people are still in the same place.

Ferrio

Banned
Did I miss some double-AD carry meta change? Your game has two AD ranged on each team, and I might have seen 2-3 enemy teams yesterday that had it.

Also on your Ashe note, I feel like one of the single biggest problems in super low ELO games is people going alone. It doesn't matter if you had a ward, it doesn't matter if you just saw 3-5 enemies in the bush, in the jungle, about 5 seconds ago. It doesn't matter if you literally get 6 "RUN AWAY" pings as you are walking alone into the jungle. You will still go alone, into the jungle, with 4 people missing, and then you will instantly die since, shockingly, those 4 people are still in the same place.

You say that about everyone. You rarely have the balls to actually join fights and constantly spam retreat.

Blizzard

Banned
You say that about everyone, of course you rarely have the balls to actually join fights.
This is a bit of a rude thing for you to say, especially since you have not been playing the ranked games I have been in and am referring to.

It is also a direct lie/exaggation, is it not? I don't think I say that about everyone, just people who wander alone/without wards, especially if they die from it.

To clarify, I am referring specifically to situations I have seen in the last day or two, where (for example) the entire team literally sees 3+ champions in our jungle, at level 1, in the same area/bush, and we are all in lanes. Riven walked towards the bush, got pinged to retreat like mad, and of course instantly died as they walked into the enemy team for first blood.

Now, admit it, is that me "not having the balls" to actually join her 1v4 fight? I think not.

dimb

Take advantage of the range and do as much damage as possible on people closing the gap. Get good at using the slow to separate teams and make it difficult to get to you. When someone comes in on you and you have a decent amount of lifesteal make sure you are hitting you either hold your ground or back away and keep getting auto-attacks in. Helps to remember the passive. If you know you're going to die it isn't worth creating distance between you and the enemy. If you can burn people down and take one or two people with you keep that in mind.

Positioning behind your team is really important, but you can keep behind everyone and still get in damage pretty well with how long Kog's range is. Harass with your ult correctly and you can pressure the enemy off objectives or into team fights. And get good at predicting enemy movements because landing the ult blind is the only way to let people know you're a boss.

Ferrio

Banned
This is a bit of a rude thing for you to say, especially since you have not been playing the ranked games I have been in and am referring to.

It is also a direct lie/exaggation, is it not? I don't think I say that about everyone, just people who wander alone/without wards, especially if they die from it.

My point being is that you're angry at people being reckless, but at the same time you play too safe which can be equally as bad.

Zissou

My point being is that you're angry at people being reckless, but at the same time you play too safe which can be equally as bad.

I understand playing to conservatively can be bad, but how is it as bad as playing recklessly? It seems like one player playing recklessly would more likely cost you the game than would an overly-safe player.

AcridMeat

Banned

Start with a doran's. Farm up like a baws, poke with your W to deny the enemy. Level up W first, Q then E. When someone decides to trade shots with you/your team, hit your q on them. You can pretty reliably pick up a kill during a gank if you have your ultimate.

Depending on their team comp I either go IE or Madred's. Typically it's Doran's, attack speed boots, IE/Madred's, build as you need. Usually for me that's either zeal or wit's end. If zeal, finish PD.

If things are going really well I'll build a Madred's/IE after that because goht dam melting people :V.

Oh I should also say, you need to be a butterfly.

edit:
I understand playing to conservatively can be bad, but how is it as bad as playing recklessly? It seems like one player playing recklessly would more likely cost you the game than would an overly-safe player.
When the conservative one is running from a fight the rest of the team is fully engaged in.

Ferrio

Banned

I said it can be, isn't always. And playing reckless isn't always bad either. Look at kiunch, he's a freaking mad man when it comes to being reckless.. but it works for him sometimes (usually when he's ahri).

It all comes down to playing as a team. Someone wandering off alone isn't playing as a team, and so is not joining a fight with them because you think it's too dangerous.

Blizzard

Banned
I think those are two different situations. Deciding to farm alone when everyone is MIA versus getting into a team fight.
Precisely, or like Riven walking into their team when our team was basically actively screaming at her.

I would also say that my point was, in low ELO ranked games I feel that people being reckless, becoming 1/8 early, and thus giving the other team a huge gold/level advantage is much more common than people being overly cautious.

Well, it's just a normal game so I didn't really expect people to play roles. There wasn't even any chat. I told everyone I'll go pick last to fill in the missing role and got no reply. Team needed a jungler and a tank so I went with Skarner.

I just remembered that it was Wit's End I wanted to buy instead of Aegis. Been playing Alistar too often.

I think jungle Maokai right now is op. I feel like I win every game while I jungle with him even if I get a bad score. He just brings so much to the table. He's tanky, does decent damage, an amazing ganker, a pseudo ward, and a great ult for team fights. He will probably be nerfed soon.

Ken

Take advantage of the range and do as much damage as possible on people closing the gap. Get good at using the slow to separate teams and make it difficult to get to you. When someone comes in on you and you have a decent amount of lifesteal make sure you are hitting you either hold your ground or back away and keep getting auto-attacks in. Helps to remember the passive. If you know you're going to die it isn't worth creating distance between you and the enemy. If you can burn people down and take one or two people with you keep that in mind.

Positioning behind your team is really important, but you can keep behind everyone and still get in damage pretty well with how long Kog's range is. Harass with your ult correctly and you can pressure the enemy off objectives or into team fights. And get good at predicting enemy movements because landing the ult blind is the only way to let people know you're a boss.

Start with a doran's. Farm up like a baws, poke with your W to deny the enemy. Level up W first, Q then E. When someone decides to trade shots with you/your team, hit your q on them. You can pretty reliably pick up a kill during a gank if you have your ultimate.

Depending on their team comp I either go IE or Madred's. Typically it's Doran's, attack speed boots, IE/Madred's, build as you need. Usually for me that's either zeal or wit's end. If zeal, finish PD.

If things are going really well I'll build a Madred's/IE after that because goht dam melting people :V.

Oh I should also say, you need to be a butterfly.

edit:

When the conservative one is running from a fight the rest of the team is fully engaged in.

Thanks. Going to try that out.

BTW, is there any kind of setting that let's you highlight or make your own champion stand out? I tend to lose track of where my champ is when there's a ton of stuff going on, and playing at night when I'm tired doesn't help either. I'm guessing it's just something that comes with time and experience, huh?

brian!

so many good things in that game

but cleaning up veigar in top bush by ulting through his stun, and headbutting his 1 hp feeeels the best, especially when he won't even let you have your own FUCKING red in peace on a gimmick team.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Had maybe the best game in a while tonight. Our team called their team would try and ambush, but their team was to stupid and didn't come in as a team, and we were ready and got 1st blood.

Our brand got the kill, and he seemed to spiral from there. Plus we had a jungle Amumu who was pretty bossly on his ganks for my buddy and I bot. They GG'd at 20 cause we were steam rolling pretty badly even with a not that awesome CS for our AD carry. I think we only had 1 death all match. Plus I was playing Sona and I got in some well placed well timed ults that made me happy!

I needed a game like that to reinvigorate me! :p

Boken

Banned
Precisely, or like Riven walking into their team when our team was basically actively screaming at her.

I would also say that my point was, in low ELO ranked games I feel that people being reckless, becoming 1/8 early, and thus giving the other team a huge gold/level advantage is much more common than people being overly cautious.
Reckless play is bad, aggressive play is good. There's a fine line between the two so be careful of calling everything reckless

Blizzard

Banned
Reckless play is bad, aggressive play is good. There's a fine line between the two so be careful of calling everything reckless
I claim I don't call everything reckless, and the example I explicitly spelled out with Riven was rather obviously both reckless and stupid. :p I understand there is aggressive play that just doesn't work out. I'm talking more about people who get killed a certain way, and then get killed that same way 7 more times in 10-15 minutes instead of adjusting their playstyle.

Blizzard

Banned
I was just reminded how much I prefer LoL's UI and shop design to DotA 2s.
I feel the same way, but people who play a bunch of DotA 2 say they hate LoL because it doesn't make sense, and apparently DotA 2 has one-click buying and you don't have to go back to spawn to get items.

So I guess people who play a lot of game X like game X and people who play a lot of game Y like game Y.

Also, there is a special level of rage reserved for people who play AD carries and go afk after like 40 minutes in a ranked game (not disconnected, afk for like 10 minutes) when their team is just about to win, causing the other team to comeback 5v4 and win.

LCGeek

formerly sane
I feel the same way, but people who play a bunch of DotA 2 say they hate LoL because it doesn't make sense, and apparently DotA 2 has one-click buying and you don't have to go back to spawn to get items.

So I guess people who play a lot of game X like game X and people who play a lot of game Y like game Y.

Also, there is a special level of rage reserved for people who play AD carries and go afk after like 40 minutes in a ranked game (not disconnected, afk for like 10 minutes) when their team is just about to win, causing the other team to comeback 5v4 and win.

Dota buying owns LOL. You can customize your stuff and and do one button buying league has no such features. Another thing not being mentioned is that you can search items in search box. League has no such thing it kills the need to go fishing in to menu if you know what you want.

This isn't people preferring one over the other. Valve has certain features that need to come in to LOL like disabling autoattack and the like. Valve could borrow from league and learn to make a hud that isn't so big or a minimap that can be flipped.

I play both games and know people that do a lot who talk the same there is a lot of stuff that if they were present in either would make for a better feel.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Dota Items: Good for experienced players, bad for new players.
LoL Items: Good for new players, bad for experienced players.

Hit 30 tonight, yay! Won my first ranked game too... even with the other half of our bot lane disconnected for 10 minutes. Was nice, everyone was pretty pleasant. I doubt that will last though.

Ferga

Dota buying owns LOL. You can customize your stuff and and do one button buying league has no such features. Another thing not being mentioned is that you can search items in search box. League has no such thing it kills the need to go fishing in to menu if you know what you want.

This isn't people preferring one over the other. Valve has certain features that need to come in to LOL like disabling autoattack and the like. Valve could borrow from league and learn to make a hud that isn't so big or a minimap that can be flipped.

I play both games and know people that do a lot who talk the same there is a lot of stuff that if they were present in either would make for a better feel.

I would love an option that would let me do that. All the ink on my S key is gone since I use it alot to last hit.

Wouldn't even matter late game too because I usually do the Move,attack,move,attack process so Auto attacks are pretty pointless to me

Ferrio

Banned
Hit 30 tonight, yay! Won my first ranked game too... even with the other half of our bot lane disconnected for 10 minutes. Was nice, everyone was pretty pleasant. I doubt that will last though.

Usually a bad idea to hit ranked soon as you hit 30, you still have a bit of learning to do. Unless it's a smurf that is.

Ikuu

Had his dog run over by Blizzard's CEO
I was just reminded how much I prefer LoL's UI and shop design to DotA 2s.

LoL shop is only better for new players who have no idea what items do. Dota shop is so much better once you know what items do and what you need in a situation, grid view lets you see nearly everything over 2 pages and you can easily set your recommended items to what you want. As for the rest of the UI, Dota2 needs some work but LoL doesn't exactly have anything better.

Usually a bad idea to hit ranked soon as you hit 30, you still have a bit of learning to do. Unless it's a smurf that is.

If that one game is anything to go by I think I'm a bit ahead of my current ELO (although who doesn't think that?)

Don't get me wrong, after 250 games I'm still terrible and I still don't know what all the champs do, but I would rather learn in ranked where I know the competition is somewhat even.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook

The shop allows you to do more in DOTA2 just like in DOTA. The problem is the actual UI design is totally shitty. In general the UI design for that game is subpar. Coming from a crew who are huge valve fanbois, and we have 2 different servers people pay for to play TF2 on everyone agreed on this. It just feels very unValve like.

Again DOTA2s extremely feature rich, and this lends itself to having feature rich shop menus. The actual UI design is horrific though. Pregame menus and lobbies and such are really bad too (though they've gotten better with time).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom