• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

League of Legends |OT2| So free, it's only 8000 USD!

Status
Not open for further replies.

y2dvd

Hit 30 tonight, yay! Won my first ranked game too... even with the other half of our bot lane disconnected for 10 minutes. Was nice, everyone was pretty pleasant. I doubt that will last though.

Welcome to Elo Hell. :)

I was playing Annie mid and Patheon had to be one of the best junglers she can have. His stun along with your stun means he's getting full hits on HSS and giving you all the time in the world to position yourself for the kill. That Path went 9-0 and I was like 6-0 with plenty of Mej stacks.

The only thing the LoL shop needs, which I've been clamoring for for ages, is customizable recommended items. Let me put my own 6 items up there. Not that I lose much time in the shop, anyway. I always usually have the item up and ready to buy in the few seconds it takes to recall, so I buy it as soon as I hit the ground and run back.

Volimar

The only thing the LoL shop needs, which I've been clamoring for for ages, is customizable recommended items. Let me put my own 6 items up there. Not that I lose much time in the shop, anyway. I always usually have the item up and ready to buy in the few seconds it takes to recall, so I buy it as soon as I hit the ground and run back.

YES!

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
There are third party programs that let you do this.

ElectraStar

Oh shit shots fired summons is a pussy
Fight! Fight! Fight! Fight! Fight! Fight!
boys-fighting-cartoon.jpg

GO FOR THE HAIR!!

I was just reminded how much I prefer LoL's UI and shop design to DotA 2s.
Agreed. No effing clue what I'm doing in that game, though, so I'm probably not the best person to ask, heh.

XeroSauce

Enigma's Recommended Item Changer

You quite literally choose a champion, and drag and drop whatever items you want. You can even make sets.

I've used this for the last 20 patches and nothing has gone wrong so I can personally vouch for it.

Wrekt

Usually a bad idea to hit ranked soon as you hit 30, you still have a bit of learning to do. Unless it's a smurf that is.

On the other side of the fence, I'd actually recommend going into ranked if you feel you are ready. Normal draft is filled with queue dodgers that will drop game as soon as they see their pick has been countered.

It took 200 SR pvp games, about 50 bot games, a dozen TT games and maybe 75 Dominion games to hit 30. Everybody is different, but 300+ games seems like plenty of practice to get the grasp of last hitting, item builds and map awareness. Once you become sufficient with those skills, you can hang at entry level ranked just fine.

DotA 2s shop is feature rich and the general layout is great. However, I hate how items are sorted. When I refer to LoL's shop design, I'm talking about how items are broken down into different categories. I would much prefer very obvious categories like Attack, Defense, Magic, Movement, Consumeables, and (for DotA) Actives and Orb Effects.

There was a section called Artifacts. What am I supposed to glean from that?

This would be the first and best thing. Having a stash and item queue would also be pretty great.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
And give more slots to recommended items.

It's kind of silly that clicking on Blasting Wand still doesn't show every items that it builds into. Ditto boots.

This has been a problem since Day -1.

2th

Banned
so lately the game has just not held my interest. I havent even played lulu yet and i honestly have no desire even though i bought her.

dimb

On the other side of the fence, I'd actually recommend going into ranked if you feel you are ready. Normal draft is filled with queue dodgers that will drop game as soon as they see their pick has been countered.
I think it's a big mistake to jump into ranked right away. You really need to feel comfortable at every role with a few different champions in case you get banned out or counter picked. You just don't have the necessary number of champions to do that right when you hit 30.

Ferrio

Banned
I think it's a big mistake to jump into ranked right away. You really need to feel comfortable at every role with a few different champions in case you get banned out or counter picked. You just don't have the necessary number of champions to do that right when you hit 30.

Ya, I'd say there's no way you have a handle on the game fully as soon as you hit 30.

edit: We need to do another all support draft.

Wrekt

If you only buy champs with IP, that is true. If you bought either of the champion packs (which I recommend to any new players), you have more than enough viable champs for every role. I mean look at these lineups:

http://leagueoflegends.wikia.com/wiki/Digital_Collector's_Pack
http://leagueoflegends.wikia.com/wiki/Champions_Bundle

I think I've spent $30 on LoL and I had over 30 champions by the time I hit level 30 (I got the box copy of the collectors edition for cheap at a Best Buy.)

Ferrio

Banned
If you only buy champs with IP, that is true. If you bought either of the champion packs (which I recommend to any new players), you have more than enough viable champs for every role. I mean look at these lineups:

I think I've spent $30 on LoL and I had over 30 champions by the time I hit level 30 (I got the box copy of the collectors edition for cheap at a Best Buy.)

Could you use all those champions effectively? Doesn't take many games to hit 30, see people with 100 wins hit 30. Not to mention the experiences in pre 30 is a lot different than post. You can rock ass pre 30, hit 30 and the real game opens up. I did pretty damn good pre 30s, but there were a ton of things I didn't know:

-All the different matchups
-Effectively playing all the roles, with multiple champions.
-Warding effectively and map awareness
-Item builds, and counter builds.
-Banning and counter picking.
-How to last hit effectively.
-Having several sets of tier 3 runes, atleast 1 for each role. (garuntee fresh 30's dont have this)

I'm just saying for their sake they should hold it off, it'll save a lot of heart ache in the long run if you hold off the placement matches until you're ready.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Could you use all those champions effectively? Doesn't take many games to hit 30, see people with 100 wins hit 30. Not to mention the experiences in pre 30 is a lot different than post. You can rock ass pre 30, hit 30 and the real game opens up.

I'm just saying for their sake they should hold it off, it'll save a lot of heart ache in the long run if you hold off the placement matches until you're ready.

Problem is normal que can be such a cluster that it's hard to really know if the game has actually opened up. I don't disagree with the general sentiment that the longer you can hold off playing ranked the better. Still with as bad as normal can be there is only so much you can learn from that, and we know bot games aren't really a good alternative either.

Ferrio

Banned
Problem is normal que can be such a cluster that it's hard to really know if the game has actually opened up. I don't disagree with the general sentiment that the longer you can hold off playing ranked the better. Still with as bad as normal can be there is only so much you can learn from that, and we know bot games aren't really a good alternative either.

You learn the same in normal draft as you do in ranked, just you're not sacrificing elo for it. Hell I've found that people in normal are more competant than when I played rank. Ya there's quite of bit more experimentation in normal cause it's not tied to elo, but I don't find the two vastly different in terms of how they play out.

dimb

Could you use all those champions effectively? Doesn't take many games to hit 30, see people with 100 wins hit 30.
Yeah, that's the thing. Just buying in bulk like that won't necessarily yield champions that are effective in the meta or that you're good with. I don't consider either pack to be a good investment either in terms of the yield to the cost. RP goes a lot further taking advantage of weekend sales on champions. You could buy eight 6300 champions for the cost of the Digital Collector's Pack, which is something like double the IP cost you're getting for the same amount.

There's no reason to rush into ranked. I don't feel like owning thirty champions, particularly the low IP ones, is enough to effectively play in ranked. It's only around a third of the potential roster. How many of the great 6300 IP junglers who are dominating the game right now are you going to own right when you hit thirty? Maybe one or two at best. My normal draft games are usually taken pretty seriously by the players, and I never feel like people are actively trying to lose. There's really nothing wrong with sticking to that for awhile.

Blizzard

Banned
The funny thing about ranked is that ELO loss still doesn't stop people from (I think I have seen all of these):

1. Queue dodging to lose ELO
2. Warning the lobby that they are going to intentionally feed, having about four lobbies get dodged, causing those people to lose ELO, then
3. Intentionally feeding 10-15 deaths as fast as possible, apparently not caring about being reported
4. Going AFK in the final 5-10 minutes of the game. I was winning a game yesterday when our AD carry (Vayne) went afk, and the other team came back at that point. We probably should have still beat them if we were actually good, but 4v5 is still tough odds 40 minutes into a game. Then the very next game, we had our AP carry go afk near the end of the game with full health inside spawn for a few minutes.

Having at least one afk/disconnecting person per ranked game seems fairly normal to me.

Side note, what's the best champion to carry ranked games with? I normally do well top, but I feel like if I help any other lanes, I lose my turret there, so I need to either play jungle/AP mid, or else duo queue with an AP mid?

Ferrio

Banned
Yeah, that's the thing. Just buying in bulk like that won't necessarily yield champions that are effective in the meta or that you're good with. I don't consider either pack to be a good investment either in terms of the yield to the cost. RP goes a lot further taking advantage of weekend sales on champions. You could buy eight 6300 champions for the cost of the Digital Collector's Pack, which is something like double the IP cost you're getting for the same amount.

There's no reason to rush into ranked. I don't feel like owning thirty champions, particularly the low IP ones, is enough to effectively play in ranked. It's only around a third of the potential roster. How many of the great 6300 IP junglers who are dominating the game right now are you going to own right when you hit thirty? Maybe one or two at best. My normal draft games are usually taken pretty seriously by the players, and I never feel like people are actively trying to lose. There's really nothing wrong with sticking to that for awhile.

Ya. Best advice I can give is instead of rushing into rank, join the neogaf channel and just join games with neogaf. You'll get the same experience, but with fellow gaffers that can answer your questions and show you the ropes.

You learn the same in normal draft as you do in ranked, just you're not sacrificing elo for it. Hell I've found that people in normal are more competant than when I played rank. Ya there's quite of bit more experimentation in normal cause it's not tied to elo, but I don't find the two vastly different in terms of how they play out.

I don't really like normal because skill and summoner level vary so widely. It's hard to evaluate your own play in your lane and the matchup. I.E. did I win Ahri vs Veigar mid because I played Ahri well or because Veigar is summoner level 5 and playing it for the first time? If you're not practicing against players better than you, then you're going to learn much slower or maybe not at all.

-Having several sets of tier 3 runes, atleast 1 for each role. (garuntee fresh 30's dont have this)

http://www.lolking.net/summoner/na/28684846#runes Just need the last quint in all except the jungle one, *shrug*.

Ferrio

Banned
I don't really like normal because skill and summoner level vary so widely. It's hard to evaluate your own play in your lane and the matchup. I.E. did I win Ahri vs Veigar mid because I played Ahri well or because Veigar is summoner level 5 and playing it for the first time? If you're not practicing against players better than you, then you're going to learn much slower or maybe not at all.

Normal doesn't work that way.

Normal has elo just like ranked, you just don't see it. Normal places you with people who are the same "elo" as you, so you're not going to get placed against 5's as a 30 unless you're really really bad, or queuing with other low summoners.

If you wanna get placed against better players than you, that won't happen in ranked either. You're placed with people that are your level (or least that's the theory), same as in normal. Only way you're going to get placed outta your elo is if you queue with higher people than you (which is why I said you should do some normal draft premades with gaffers), or you're carried out of your elo.

y2dvd

Rephrase?

Maybe I got the points mixed up but say RP is the points you can earn in-game to buy free stuff with and IP are the points you spend actually money for. If a character was 6300 RP and that was equal to the highest IP cost for a character, how much actual money did you spend for that character?

Normal doesn't work that way.

Normal has elo just like ranked, you just don't see it. Normal places you with people who are the same "elo" as you, so you're not going to get placed against 5's as a 30 unless you're really really bad, or queuing with other low summoners.

I know it's supposed to work that way, but if you have high ELO 30's queueing with their SL 1 friends you can end up with them.

Granted I've done one game since hitting 30 and it was ranked, so it might be vastly different now. But at 29 I was definitely getting into games with SL 14 people. (Also no one understood the meta, and from my 1 game of ranked so far this appears to carry over into 1200ish ELO ranked.)

Ferrio

Banned
I know it's supposed to work that way, but if you have high ELO 30's queueing with their SL 1 friends you can end up with them.

Granted I've done one game since hitting 30 and it was ranked, so it might be vastly different now. But at 29 I was definitely getting into games with SL 14 people. (Also no one understood the meta, and from my 1 game of ranked so far this appears to carry over into 1200ish ELO ranked.)

That happens a lot pre 30. Like I said, queue with 4 other gaffers in draft. You'll get placed with other premades that know what they're doing.

y2dvd

Side note, what's the best champion to carry ranked games with? I normally do well top, but I feel like if I help any other lanes, I lose my turret there, so I need to either play jungle/AP mid, or else duo queue with an AP mid?

The trick top is to push really hard before helping other lanes, that way they are busy with minions underneath their turrent and the next wave of minions before they can get to your turrent. Or grab TP to quickly return.

A great Alistar can do wonders and "carry" for a team. I had a roaming Alistar on my team once and we were roam ganking everywhere like we were M5. Just completely dominated. He can disrupt junglers and lanes, cc an entire team if positioned correctly, and heal.

Cass can also carry teams. So much dmg.

Wrekt

Could you use all those champions effectively? Doesn't take many games to hit 30, see people with 100 wins hit 30. Not to mention the experiences in pre 30 is a lot different than post. You can rock ass pre 30, hit 30 and the real game opens up. I did pretty damn good pre 30s, but there were a ton of things I didn't know:

-All the different matchups
-Effectively playing all the roles, with multiple champions.
-Warding effectively and map awareness
-Item builds, and counter builds.
-Banning and counter picking.
-How to last hit effectively.

Could I play all of them effectively? No. In fact, I haven't even played a game as all of them yet (but it is Eve so it doesn't really matter.) Could I play the majority of them effectively enough to hold my own at 1200 elo? Absolutely. In the collector pack I bought, I'd consider 15/20 viable at the high end. The pack I bought also came with $10 worth of RP which allowed me to buy 2 6300 champs on sale as well. Between that and stuff like the free RP for good behavior, the Christmas stuff and sales, you have plenty of viable choices at 30 for very little monetary investment.

I did a little homework when I started playing, so I knew to save my IP for runes at 20. So I absolutely did have a generic set of runes for each role, as well as some specialized ones for some of my favorite champs. The only champs I purchased with IP were the 450 point wonders like Ashe. Maybe it just took me a really long time to hit 30 so I had a lot more win-of-the-day bonuses but I had plenty of IP for runes before 30.

Blizzard

Banned
Lee Sin: "i gtg"
bwlzero: "You have to... what!?"
Thanks for reminding me, that was another high point of ranked. I think it was the mid-lane AP carry (Ziggs?) who had wards (I might have placed them for him as the jungler).

An enemy, probably the jungler, came walking down the river. Ping ping, watch out for the river. Oh hmm, he's not moving. Oh wait, the guy just walked out of the river and ganked, hmm, now he's dead.

I was like, yo dawg, what's up Ziggs, we warned you. He was like, sorry, I was talking to someone on Facebook.

Volimar

Thanks for reminding me, that was another high point of ranked. I think it was the mid-lane AP carry (Ziggs?) who had wards (I might have placed them for him as the jungler).

An enemy, probably the jungler, came walking down the river. Ping ping, watch out for the river. Oh hmm, he's not moving. Oh wait, the guy just walked out of the river and ganked, hmm, now he's dead.

I was like, yo dawg, what's up Ziggs, we warned you. He was like, sorry, I was talking to someone on Facebook.

This is the only thing that bugs me when watching streams. You see people checking the chat or their phones constantly, sometimes in the middle of a lane! Pay attention! Maokai just walked past a ward you easily distracted fool!

Look at that Digital Collector's Pack.

Great/viable champions: Alistar (Free), Cho'Gath (1350), Ryze (450), Morgana (1350), Tristana (Free), Trynd (1350), Warwick (1350).

It's not particularly worth it.

The champions bundle has Corki, Karthus, and GP. That's pretty good.

JesseZao

I feel I can carry best with AP mid or if I jungle with, say, Shyvana. I'm getting better at top, but I always feel so isolated from deciding the game outcome up there (maybe I should start running teletop?). I can have success bot lane, but there are a lot more variables at play so it's harder to rely on it.

I feel I can carry best with AP mid or if I jungle with, say, Shyvana. I'm getting better at top, but I always feel so isolated from deciding the game outcome up there (maybe I should start running teletop?). I can have success bot lane, but there are a lot more variables at play so it's harder to rely on it.

AP Mid snowballs so fucking hard.

Blizzard

Banned
Ditto. I feel like ditching flash or ignite would mean I die more or get fewer kills with Riven, as both of them are quite useful especially early game.

However, even with teleport I've lost the turret. Take the case with cho vs yorick (since I didn't know who else would keep even with yorick). I held the lane, might have gotten a kill on him, but as soon as I teleported bottom lane for a gank and a double kill, he yorick pushed through 1-2 waves of minions and took the turret down before I could get back to it. So either I was doing something horribly wrong, or else I need to coordinate with the jungler before I ever leave the lane.

I used to play ranked AP sion mid, and had a fairly high win percentage with him, but I feel like there should be a more generally useful ranged AP mid for me (Annie is my fallback). I'd ideally like two options for me to practice, ones that are hard to counter, and if one gets picked, banned, or countered, I can use the other one.

Ferrio

Banned
Ditto. I feel like ditching flash or ignite would mean I die more or get fewer kills with Riven, as both of them are quite useful especially early game.

However, even with teleport I've lost the turret. Take the case with cho vs yorick (since I didn't know who else would keep even with yorick). I held the lane, might have gotten a kill on him, but as soon as I teleported bottom lane for a gank and a double kill, he yorick pushed through 1-2 waves of minions and took the turret down before I could get back to it. So either I was doing something horribly wrong, or else I need to coordinate with the jungler before I ever leave the lane.

Losing a tower to kill 2 people bot lane is well worth it.

dimb

Great/viable champions: Alistar (Free), Cho'Gath (1350), Ryze (450), Morgana (1350), Tristana (Free), Trynd (1350), Warwick (1350).
Sivir, Veigar, Zilean, and Malphite are legit. Dunno how Janna or Rammus are faring after the patch but they were both good. Annie isn't bad either.

Sivir, Veigar, Zilean, and Malphite are legit. Dunno how Janna or Rammus are faring after the patch but they were both good. Annie isn't bad either.

After the nerf, Sivir's a step below Kog/Ashe/Corki. Pus, 450 is dirty cheap.

Veigar has a tough time with counter picking. I'm not sure if they fixed Malphite's ult yet, and I feel like Zilean's too limited in team fights.

Ryze, Ashe, and Nunu are all 450 and they're pretty much the best or second best at what they do.

Wrekt

It's not particularly worth it.

The champions bundle has Corki, Karthus, and GP. That's pretty good.

You are ignoring viable champs just to try and make a point. Rammus is 3150 and one of the strongest champs in the game right now. The pack also comes with 1380 RP and 4 (admittedly kinda weak) T3 runes, which softens the blow quite a bit. I was lucky and found the boxed version of the Collector's pack for $15, so it was a no brainer. I still would have gone for it for $30.

You are ignoring viable champs just to try and make a point. Rammus is 3150 and one of the strongest champs in the game right now. The pack also comes with 1380 RP and 4 (admittedly kinda weak) T3 runes, which softens the blow quite a bit. I was lucky and found the boxed version of the Collector's pack for $15, so it was a no brainer. I still would have gone for it for $30.

For 15, yeah that's an awesome deal. But given how many viable champions in that pack that you can get for pretty cheap IP, you're better off saving your RP for champion sales and the rune page bundle.

JesseZao

Maybe I got the points mixed up but say RP is the points you can earn in-game to buy free stuff with and IP are the points you spend actually money for. If a character was 6300 RP and that was equal to the highest IP cost for a character, how much actual money did you spend for that character?

RP is cash currency
IP is earned free in-game

Here's a conversion rate table:

Riot Points 260 --- 390 ---- 520 ---- 585 --- 975 --- 1820
US Dollars $2.00 - $3.00 - $4.00 - $4.50 - $7.50 - $14.00
Euros ----- €1.55 - €2.32 - €3.10 - €3.49 - €5.81 - €10.85

Those are for the base amounts and don't count the bonus RP you get for buying larger amounts.

http://leagueoflegends.wikia.com/wiki/RP

LCGeek

formerly sane
Losing a tower to kill 2 people bot lane is well worth it.

My man My man with the wisdom. You do this off the bat for first one of the first few kills get a ward and it's gg for the carry on bot while the support can go gank and give help to others when need be. I've snowballed so many times because I get to hang back near our stuff be far closer to mid and jungle control while getting free farm.

LCGeek

formerly sane
The shop allows you to do more in DOTA2 just like in DOTA. The problem is the actual UI design is totally shitty. In general the UI design for that game is subpar. Coming from a crew who are huge valve fanbois, and we have 2 different servers people pay for to play TF2 on everyone agreed on this. It just feels very unValve like.

Again DOTA2s extremely feature rich, and this lends itself to having feature rich shop menus. The actual UI design is horrific though. Pregame menus and lobbies and such are really bad too (though they've gotten better with time).

Sorry I hate the LOL client it's glitchy and crashes for no reason and takes a ton of cpu. Playing dota or hon the experience is so much smoother and unified. While the design is shit in looks I find what I want no problem and get down to it. No one playing any of the these 3 mobas should be pimping them they are garbage in variety of aspects especially when talk about client or UI issues.

DOTA2 has a real reason for being crap which is the fact it's in beta and I doubt valve is really spending time on it. League has no reason to be lacking in this area, replays, or other features people have been begging about that are in HON and now in dota2 beta.

If you look at my post it was about the shop menu and the fact you can customzie something lol doesn't have and search stuff. Feature wise that beats LOL and lets me avoid branching all over which you have to do in league. A problem I can avoid and do what I want vs one that doesn't let me avoid the problem to begin with to buy what's necessary.

Tideas

Banned

must be my elo, but i've been seeing a lot of fail rammus

kiunchbb

www.dictionary.com
must be my elo, but i've been seeing a lot of fail rammus

Rammus is fast jungler, high movement with a mini knock up, and a super long taunt.

There are no escaping his gang.

However, Rammus shouldn't be anyone's reason to buy the collector edition, he is banned 99% of all draft and ranked game, there are no point in learning or owning him.

-----------

The best way to prepare for ranked is to master 2 champion in 1 lane (ex. Cass/Ahri for mid), and have some basic understanding on how to play support. Even if someone took your lane, I doubt there will be anyone fighting for support.

In ranked game I usually announce my preferred role at champion select, most people will adjust to let you play your best role (they don't want you to feed).

I played all my season 1 game, and most of my season 2 game as support, I never had problem where I was forced to do something I am not familiar well (jungle/ad carry/top).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom