• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

League of Legends |OT2| So free, it's only 8000 USD!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blizzard

Banned
Who are the top "tanky dps" champs in the game? Always been confused by this term.
Champions like Gangplank, Irelia, and Warwick can build several defensive items (such as warmogs and atma's impaler) but still be useful in teamfights and do decent damage (damage per second = dps).

AD ranged carries tend not to build very many defensive items and instead focus on maximizing their damage output. More "traditional" tanks like malphite or alistar tend to focus on defensive items and CC rather than trying to do damage output, though tank champions can still do damage or win some 1v1 fights.

brian!

If you understand why certain champs are played in certain lanes, its pretty easy to get!

Here are some reasons: most people don't put two at top, for example, is for better dragon control. people usually go AP at mid is because it is "easier" to escape ganks at mid (really depends!). junglers exist for a better distribution of gold/exp. you knoooww

with this in mind, it's easy to try to apply certain champs to certain lanes. some teams will swap their top and bottom lane if they feel like it favors their matchup more, and that they can control dragon regardless. the reason champs like vlad, kennen, and rumble can go top is that they have great escapes and reasonable sustain, you can start jungling junglers that aren't great gankers (shyv, mundo), because they can contest the other jungler.

it's allll team based. even if you apply certain champs to their "appropriate" role. without decent synergy it's all useless.

Should I worry too much about the champion I choose? I've heard numorus stories about how people would rage even before a match starts because a team lacks support, junglers, etc. I've taken a liking to mainly ranged characters (trying Vayne and love her play style) and not a huge fan of meat shields. Do I simply need to be "good" with everyone?

Seems like the easiest way to get better is to pick a role and stick with it, but be familiar with the other roles since you may need to play them.

Obviously you need to understand a champ to play it, but I found that watching pro streamers really helped me understand the lanes I don't play very much. Wickd is a great streamer for top lane, Snoopeh is great for jungle, Scarra is great for mid. All three talk about the game and what's going through their heads as they play; it's really helpful for learning the game.

Samyy

Seems like the easiest way to get better is to pick a role and stick with it, but be familiar with the other roles since you may need to play them.

Obviously you need to understand a champ to play it, but I found that watching pro streamers really helped me understand the lanes I don't play very much. Wickd is a great streamer for top lane, Snoopeh is great for jungle, Scarra is great for mid. All three talk about the game and what's going through their heads as they play; it's really helpful for learning the game.

Are these guys streaming on own3d? I never see them on.

I don't get why people think it's easier to escape ganks mid. There are 8 places to run in from, 2 of which are completely blind within a few feet. Sure, if you have flash up it's practically a guaranteed escape, but anywhere else if they have decent cc you are toast without wards.

Mind you, typically both sides of the river need to be warded as well

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
I don't get why people think it's easier to escape ganks mid. There are 8 places to run in from, 2 of which are completely blind within a few feet. Sure, if you have flash up it's practically a guaranteed escape, but anywhere else if they have decent cc you are toast without wards.

Mind you, typically both sides of the river need to be warded as well
Because the lane is short and easy to get back into if you need to go to base.
Champions like Gangplank, Irelia, and Warwick can build several defensive items (such as warmogs and atma's impaler) but still be useful in teamfights and do decent damage (damage per second = dps).
Warwick? Pretty sure he said top champions.

Blizzard

Banned
Warwick? Pretty sure he said top champions.
I thought 'top "tanky dps"' could mean 'decent "tanky dps"' -- might be an interpretation problem. Or maybe I am not interpreting you incorrectly as well and you are saying that warwick is not a good champion?

Also, warwick has sustain and might actually show up in the top lane in low ELO games.

dimb

Would you like to suggest some good tanky dps examples to answer the original question, then? You probably have more experience than me.
Lee Sin, Udyr, Mundo, Rumble, Shyvana, Shen, Trynd, Olaf, Galio, and Irelia would be the ones worth bringing up off the top of my head.

Lee Sin, Udyr, Mundo, Rumble, Shyvana, Shen, Trynd, Olaf, Galio, and Irelia would be the ones worth bringing up off the top of my head.

These + Gangplank, Garen, Nasus, Riven, Poppy, Wukong, Renekton, etc.

I think the strongest solo top in the game is probably Udyr because he is so hard to move from the lane and tough to gank, but he's not great in every team comp either.

dimb

I would scratch Garen and Nasus off the list because of their viability in the game right now. I would value a lot of other champions above Udyr for top lane too, although he's very strong right now in general.

Ferga

Wut. Warwick is crazy strong. He never falls off and his damage output is nuts once he gets wits end because of his tankiness.

Frozen heart, wit's end, merc treads warwick mid game is pretty much unkillable.

dimb

I really don't see it. To me he does fall off late game, and offers little to his team beyond the ultimate. His damage outside of that isn't great and I don't think he's some super tank if he starts to get focused. Mundo is both infinitely stronger and tankier while offering way better peel to his team. Once WWs ult is down he isn't really great at contributing or staying in a fight.

Samyy

I really don't see it. To me he does fall off late game, and offers little to his team beyond the ultimate. His damage outside of that isn't great and I don't think he's some super tank if he starts to get focused. Mundo is both infinitely stronger and tankier while offering way better peel to his team. Once WWs ult is down he isn't really great at contributing or staying in a fight.

Been playing Mundo a ton lately, he is awesome! ^^
IMO better then ww.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook

He does sort of fall off late game, but that doesn't really correlate to his roll persay. He can still handle top lane fine, but he just lacks that extra bit of team utility for late game. His mid game as someone else said can be rather strong though.

PS: I feel a lot of champs with the current meta are viable in their lane slots, but they just lack the overall stats/abilities to be worth it for late game team picks. Need more team attributes to a lot of especially older characters IMO.

Boken

Banned
AND how would you know this, oh naysayer of inhouses?
I can only denounce them if I've tried them!
Should I worry too much about the champion I choose? I've heard numorus stories about how people would rage even before a match starts because a team lacks support, junglers, etc. I've taken a liking to mainly ranged characters (trying Vayne and love her play style) and not a huge fan of meat shields. Do I simply need to be "good" with everyone?
Eh, unless you're playing draft mode/ranked, I wouldnt worry TOOO much.
Just to clearify, what would be the "correct" roles in your average game? Support, tank, jungler, range/carry and mage? Thanks in advance.
Top (AP or bruiser), mid (AP), jungler, support/carry bot.

Also, lol warwick falls off late game? His Q has % scaling. Youre all also forgetting that they recently buffed his damage.

I've been seeing WW played top reasonably frequently in recent tournament level play, so you can bet he's not weak. Mundo is getting lots of play in the jungle too, but I don't think he's as good in soloQ because ganking is more important for junglers there.

dimb

Also, lol warwick falls off late game? His Q has % scaling. Youre all also forgetting that they recently buffed his damage.
Team fights are like the bane of Warwick. Completely single target damage that isn't super high. So when late game hits and it becomes a game of team fights yes, I think he falls off.
I've been seeing WW played top reasonably frequently in recent tournament level play, so you can bet he's not weak. Mundo is getting lots of play in the jungle too, but I don't think he's as good in soloQ because ganking is more important for junglers there.
What tournaments are these? Kiev saw him ignored. Hannover he was only picked twice and lost both times (dunno if he was even top then). And in what world does Mundo have weak ganks? Cleavers keep up an almost constant 40% slow, just need to hit them.

Blizzard

Banned
Mundo after his original nerf was basically terrible. Since his buffs, I guess he's more viable now, but it is super rare to see one actually be useful...I felt like he did even less damage than Warwick. And what do you mean peel? He can't taunt anyone and he can't stun/suppress, so all he can do is use AOE magic damage or try to kill someone with the cleavers in a teamfight, right? If he is fed enough early/mid game that might be reasonable, but late game I'm not convinced it would kill faster than warwick autoattacking someone.

Maybe I'm wrong and he's awesome, but if so, I want to know how to use him to win all 3v3 matches, then.

If you are afraid that the single target damage of warwick isn't working well, then clearly you just need to build 4-5 tiamats on him, that'll fix it! :D

Ferga

Warwick's main role in a team fight is to suppress the ap or ad. Once that's done, the other team loses a lot of dps in those few seconds of suppression which can ultimately win you the fight.

You all seem to forget the buff that warwick has as well. His W increases everyone's attack speed by 40% FOR TEN SECONDS! That is one OP skill late game. His W+frozen heart is enough to make him viable late game.

Volimar

Warwick's main role in a team fight is to suppress the ap or ad. Once that's done, the other team loses a lot of dps in those few seconds of suppression which can ultimately win you the fight.

You all seem to forget the buff that warwick has as well. His W increases everyone's attack speed by 40% FOR TEN SECONDS! That is one OP skill late game. His W+frozen heart is enough to make him viable late game.

Yep. To be honest, most champs can shrug off WW's damage in late game. His suppress and W are great though...

Hmm....support Warwick...

SoDro I think that's because we haven't played in quite a while.

Yes, that's the reason.

Liar.

Also, team synergy is extremely important. Star and I wrecked the shit out of a team in Dominion. We were Sej, Wukong, Kat, Sion, and... someone else. All that team AoE and disable... I just watched the other team's lifebars go down, fast. Sion's shield and Ult AoE damage and heal saved us, hard.

Team fights are like the bane of Warwick. Completely single target damage that isn't super high. So when late game hits and it becomes a game of team fights yes, I think he falls off.

What tournaments are these? Kiev saw him ignored. Hannover he was only picked twice and lost both times (dunno if he was even top then). And in what world does Mundo have weak ganks? Cleavers keep up an almost constant 40% slow, just need to hit them.

There was also several times in the heartowin cup and something else I can't think of right now. In team fights he has a nice buff plus potentially suppressing a carry so the team can focus them is good on top of being respectable tanky dps.

And yes, Mundo has mediocre ganks. Slow is like the absolute minimum you need to gank, good gankers have several of hard CC, a dash, slow and/or good burst damage. Eg. Maoki has a fast gap closer with a bind AND a knockup with slow. That's a good gank. Mundo's strengths are insanely fast clear speeds and good invasions, definitely not ganking.

kiunchbb

www.dictionary.com
I just found out AP WW owns AD nid, that guy just farming minion while I was wacking at him for 40 seconds straight..... under my own freaking tower. I ended up stealing bot's minion and kills to express my frustration.

It is okay thanks to Cass carrying.

League of Legends has apparently become the most popular game in Korea (As measured by PC Bangs) surpassing Aion and Starcraft.

http://clgaming.net/news/25-lol-hits-1-most-played-game-in-korea

May be this will teach blizzard to learn how to support their esport.

Ferga

I need to perfect poppy >.>

I'm going to play poppy in my next 30 games no matter what. I'll go jungle/mid/support anything. Thats how SpamHappy got to 2000elo. I'm going to follow in his foot steps.

Unless i'm forced to AD carry :\

I'm going to play poppy in my next 30 games no matter what. I'll go jungle/mid/support anything. Thats how SpamHappy got to 2000elo. I'm going to follow in his foot steps.

poppy is one of my favorites. One tip that i can suggest is that poppy makes for excellent bait with per passive. bait players into the jungle then punish them in the close quaters with your combo.

Blizzard

Banned

I did that with Riven. I started keeping a text file with my record at the end of each game, whether I won or lost it, and any details that might be helpful such as "won the lane, but made XYZ mistakes". I think at one point I had a 75% win rate with her, almost all solo top, but now it's down to 60% wins out of 89 games I've written down.

Lately, I haven't been getting good numbers like I used to though (say, 25/5/10 loss (ouch), or wins with 20/4/7 or 16/4/13 for my best games).

But the win rate is better than I do on average, so I should probably get to 100 games and start trying to do the same thing with an AD carry or AP mid that's not commonly banned. Consistency is something I guess I really lack, and it's hard to carry from the top lane.

I claim all of this is not to brag or say I know what I'm doing, since I am obviously a bad player in general, but just that I tried keeping notes to see if it helped me improve or whatever. :p

LCGeek

formerly sane
I did that with Riven. I started keeping a text file with my record at the end of each game, whether I won or lost it, and any details that might be helpful such as "won the lane, but made XYZ mistakes". I think at one point I had a 75% win rate with her, almost all solo top, but now it's down to 60% wins out of 89 games I've written down.

Lately, I haven't been getting good numbers like I used to though (say, 25/5/10 loss (ouch), or wins with 20/4/7 or 16/4/13 for my best games).

But the win rate is better than I do on average, so I should probably get to 100 games and start trying to do the same thing with an AD carry or AP mid that's not commonly banned. Consistency is something I guess I really lack, and it's hard to carry from the top lane.

I claim all of this is not to brag or say I know what I'm doing, since I am obviously a bad player in general, but just that I tried keeping notes to see if it helped me improve or whatever. :p

Top is probably the most dangerous place to be in LOL. Top is bigger and more open than mid or bottom. There are no escapes like junglers gets. Unless you have a great supporting jungler with a strong pick, top is is a cluster fuck of a pick waiting to happen. I much prefer jungle or bot to anything in the current meta.

Blizzard

Banned
Ranked is an odd beast -- win a game easily, get 6 elo. Get crushed by a team, lose 12 elo.

I went 5/0/1 and I think the next person on the team had only 3 kills, but still...not to mention, we got crushed by a team with no jungler, corki + riven top, morde mid, viktor + graves bottom. Graves had warmogs and frozen mallet for more HP than a 6-stack cho'gath with rod of ages. I didn't realize that combination did that much, I guess.

Sardello

I just had a terrible game.

Two premade decided to go top when we had a jungler in the team and leaving sona solo bot... SONA. The jungler fiora was obliged to go bot (during the champ selection phase everyone said it was ok for her to jungle...)

Then the two premade had a score of 0/4 and 0/6... they went afk.

What a sad game :(

People's judgment on Lulu?

Personally, I think she's incredibly fun - tons of utility and surprising burst early game. And it feels so satisfying to pull off a good E+Q combo.

Them #1: Why did you do that you're a troll!
Me: I'm 16/8 and we're winning this dominion game 100 to 25 and even though you're pissed you died because I left you I just got a double kill and capped top.
Them #1: TROLL
Them #2: YEAH TROLL
Me: No, trolling would be deliberately throwing the game by by going afk because now I hate you both and want to piss you off.

THEY LOSE BY 20 POINTS AFTER I GO AFK

Me: LULZ

FIN

Never shit on your own teammates.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom