• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

League of Legends |OT2| So free, it's only 8000 USD!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've noticed Katarina is a champ that doesn't require much farm to do really well. All you need to do is wait for a team fight to begin, jump in and collect kills. I think you could play her bot lane with a carry, build GP5 items, and still dominate team fights later on.

Ferrio

Banned
I've noticed Katarina is a champ that doesn't require much farm to do really well. All you need to do is wait for a team fight to begin, jump in and collect kills. I think you could play her bot lane with a carry, build GP5 items, and still dominate team fights later on.

She's already pretty meh to begin with,without any farm she'd get blown up even faster in team fights. You'd have to make sure to snowball bot lane, or she'd be useless end game.

She's already pretty meh to begin with,without any farm she'd get blown up even faster in team fights. You'd have to make sure to snowball bot lane, or she'd be useless end game.

Her ult has the ability to do 800 damage to up to three enemies without any additional AP. Her damage can still be significant with very few items.

Acerac

Banned
Started this game a couple months ago and just got 30. I mainly play support but I am at least half decent at all the other roles. Now that I'm starting to get the hang of the game I may start showing up to play with you guys.

Hopefully I won't be slaughtered too horribly.

downloaded this finally,so need some help
1. how jungleing works in this game compared to dota?are there any creep like rosh and ancient like dota ?I saw in some videos that killing creep will give you buff?
2.how much that rune and skill tree matter in mm games?
3.Should i stick to co-op with bots for few games?or start mm ?
4.basic Item guide will be really great(like the one in dota 2 by purge)

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
My main thing is the cooldown...I don't run cooldown runes or get cooldown boots *edit maybe I do have CDR per level runes on my AD rune page*, and I'm practically convinced that there are many times when I wouldn't have been able to keep combo'ing, or wouldn't have been able to escape the people chasing me, except the lowered cooldowns allowed me to get the dash or stun up in time. It seems minor but it always seems to make a huge difference to me in both early lane damage and early lane mobility/escape/combo potential. I like mashing buttons and I can mash MORE buttons when I have that item.

You're probably way better than me though, so I should try the no-cooldown route perhaps. I still need to type up all my Riven stats from the last 100 games or so to see if I learned anything.

Yeah what works for you works for you, I just personally don't think it's optimal on a champ like riven

Only CDR I take is in masteries.

Runes I run for toplane are

Standard blind select set
AD reds
Armor Yellows
Scaling MR Blues
AD Quints(If you're more aggressive in lane. Armor if you tend to play safer)

Vs AP
AD reds
Armor yellos
Flat MR Blues
AD quints

Vs Garen!!!
AD Reds
Armor Yellows
Armor Blues
Armor Quints

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
Her ult has the ability to do 800 damage to up to three enemies without any additional AP. Her damage can still be significant with very few items.
You might as well just play Fiddle support. You get the fear, the silence, and more damage.

Wrekt

downloaded this finally,so need some help
1. how jungleing works in this game compared to dota?are there any creep like rosh and ancient like dota ?I saw in some videos that killing creep will give you buff?
2.how much that rune and skill tree matter in mm games?
3.Should i stick to co-op with bots for few games?or start mm ?
4.basic Item guide will be really great(like the one in dota 2 by purge)

1) Pretty much anybody can jungle in LoL, although there are probably a dozen or less that are any good at it. On each side there are 2 creeps that give you a blue buff and a red buff, along with a bunch of less powerful creeps that give you no buff, but exp and gold. Certain ones also give you a small amount of life back when you get the killing blow. The blue buff increases mana regen and lowers cooldowns. Red buff causes some magic damage and slows enemies a bit. There are 2 creeps in the river. The dragon (in the south) gives everybody on your team 190 gold and there is Baron (in the north) which gives everybody a regen buff and gives everybody on your team 300g.

2) Runes and masteries are fairly important, but they will rarely turn the tide of a game. They are more important to junglers, as junglers take a lot more consistent damage than laners. Ignore them to start, but save your IP until you get to level 20 and can buy the tier 3 runes. You can play with T1 runes since they are cheap but never buy a tier 2 rune no matter what.

3) If you've played another moba, just start mm. You understand the basics, and that'll make you better than 90% of the people you'll get matched against.

4) The official item page works well enough. http://na.leagueoflegends.com/items. You'll want to look up champion guides on http://www.solomid.net/guides.

Ken

So is Wu Kong strong solo top? I tend to go with Irelia if I need to go solo top but Wu Kong's kit seems a bit more fun.

Any update on the Hecarim patch yet?

Samyy

So is Wu Kong strong solo top? I tend to go with Irelia if I need to go solo top but Wu Kong's kit seems a bit more fun.

Any update on the Hecarim patch yet?

my knock against him is no sustain but I really like his kit
edit: I think if you play against most top champs with sustain that know what they're doing you will have trouble

Her ult is countered by a ton of champs, she has no protection while casting it like some other champs (Morgana shield, Fiddle fear, even Nunu slow, etc), she does pitiful damage at range, and is already pretty squishy. Shunpo does great damage and gives her pretty high mobility, but you have a reasonably high chance of being stunned and dying before your ult gets 2 hits off against a team that has a clue what they're doing.

I like Kat... she is a lot of fun when fed, but I wouldn't play her in a game where I thought I needed to carry. (Edit: But the discussion is about her being a support... with all the same weaknesses and less damage I don't think she'd somehow be more viable.)

teebs33

Neo Member
I've started playing AD Carry's and I'm starting to get the hang of it.

I have been using Graves + Sivir for my Champs.

Question I have for better players then myself (most people):

If I'm still not great at keeping my spacing, am I better building Infinity Edge first and saving my Bloodthirster for later in the game when Deaths won't drop stacks as hard, or should I build BT and suck up the Stacks dropping early?

XeroSauce

My main thing is the cooldown...I don't run cooldown runes or get cooldown boots *edit maybe I do have CDR per level runes on my AD rune page*, and I'm practically convinced that there are many times when I wouldn't have been able to keep combo'ing, or wouldn't have been able to escape the people chasing me, except the lowered cooldowns allowed me to get the dash or stun up in time. It seems minor but it always seems to make a huge difference to me in both early lane damage and early lane mobility/escape/combo potential. I like mashing buttons and I can mash MORE buttons when I have that item.

You're probably way better than me though, so I should try the no-cooldown route perhaps. I still need to type up all my Riven stats from the last 100 games or so to see if I learned anything.

Think I've said this before, but CDR boots helps so much early game, and when you get to around level 16, I generally sell them for Merc's if I really need to.

I can't count the amount of times a shield has saved me from Ignite/damage/a skillshot and if I didn't have CDR, I'd be toast. I swear by Lucidity Boots now, but I also rush a Bloodthrister so it might be different for you.

Sometimes I also get a Wriggles because the ward + armor + LS helps so much in lane when you are averaging/losing, and you can sell it later on. This rounds out my early game damage/resistances so Lucidity is even more attractive.

kiunchbb

www.dictionary.com
Kat gets CC'd out of her ult too often. She's not a reliable pick.

You need to be very good at positioning if you play Kat, just remember that her ult hit even unit that she cannot see. That mean you can ult someone on the other side of wall, on other side of river cliff, or any place that doesn't give enemy your vision.

Even if there are no place to hide, you can still get in to ult after everyone used their CD, most stun/silent/knock back have 6 seconds cool down. The ult channel for 3 seconds, it is still decent damage if you manage to get 1 or 2 seconds off it. Also remember that for every assist she get 15 seconds cd reduction, so after 2-3 assist you can ult again in the same fight.

Everyone tend to forgot that she is still a really good assassin, if you found an ad/ap carry wondering around by himself, you can easily burst someone from full to zero with gunblade and ignite.

First picking her is a horrible idea, but if the enemy team only have 2 champions that can shut down your ult, I don't see why not. Well... unless the other mid is a counter pick.

I've started playing AD Carry's and I'm starting to get the hang of it.

I have been using Graves + Sivir for my Champs.

Question I have for better players then myself (most people):

If I'm still not great at keeping my spacing, am I better building Infinity Edge first and saving my Bloodthirster for later in the game when Deaths won't drop stacks as hard, or should I build BT and suck up the Stacks dropping early?
I find it incredibly easy to maintain stacks. AD carries should be in farmville all day, and now you don't even lose all your stacks on death (they changed it to half - you could lose 20 stacks at most), so getting a BT first is even more viable. That said, I generally go for IE first (after Zerk's/Doran's/Vamp Scepter), then PD, then finish BT, LW, and some MR somewhere in between.

What matters most is that you know how to last hit and etc. If you focus on that and not being aggressive constantly, you'll have less deaths and your CS will be higher, meaning your stacks problem will not be an issue both because you'll lose stacks less and you'll gain stacks faster, and most importantly, you will be ahead, so it won't really matter which of those two you get first.

my knock against him is no sustain but I really like his kit
edit: I think if you play against most top champs with sustain that know what they're doing you will have trouble

If you can't get first blood quick...yea wukong gets beat easily. if i see i can get the kill I lvl like this E->Q...then ignite them if they took enough dmg. If they haven't i still start with E but instead go into W second so i can get last hits and run from dmg. I lvl W last and depending on the situation lvl E first then Q but sometimes lvl Q first is better...all depends on how the lane is going.

You need to be very good at positioning if you play Kat, just remember that her ult hit even unit that she cannot see. That mean you can ult someone on the other side of wall, on other side of river cliff, or any place that doesn't give enemy your vision.

Even if there are no place to hide, you can still get in to ult after everyone used their CD, most stun/silent/knock back have 6 seconds cool down. The ult channel for 3 seconds, it is still decent damage if you manage to get 1 or 2 seconds off it. Also remember that for every assist she get 15 seconds cd reduction, so after 2-3 assist you can ult again in the same fight.

Everyone tend to forgot that she is still a really good assassin, if you found an ad/ap carry wondering around by himself, you can easily burst someone from full to zero with gunblade and ignite.

First picking her is a horrible idea, but if the enemy team only have 2 champions that can shut down your ult, I don't see why not. Well... unless the other mid is a counter pick.

Yup. That's why I said you need to wait for the fight to start first. Then you come in and clean up.

So Gaf, how do i defend against Teemo as he's raping my shit - even when I'm full on magic resistance as Shen?

He's only going to get better (read: more OP) with the next patch as well.

XeroSauce

So Gaf, how do i defend against Teemo as he's raping my shit - even when I'm full on magic resistance as Shen?

Take a mage.

Use bush pre-6 and jump him, back off if he uses his blind and use your sword to poke him. You have better sustain, don't be in range of his poison.

You should be building armor, which is where most of his damage coems from late game. Early game, grabbing a Null might help but armor is your best bet.

Blizzard

Banned

This is perhaps the only time I have ever seen someone call Teemo OP. XD

It's even stranger to me coming from Shen, who I thought was one of the most banned champions. Which champions can 1v1 Shen? Ranged carries with sustain?

Ken

This is perhaps the only time I have ever seen someone call Teemo OP. XD

It's even stranger to me coming from Shen, who I thought was one of the most banned champions. Which champions can 1v1 Shen? Ranged carries with sustain?

I'm guessing whatever makes Shen so good is not very good in solo queue?

teebs33

Neo Member
I find it incredibly easy to maintain stacks. AD carries should be in farmville all day, and now you don't even lose all your stacks on death (they changed it to half - you could lose 20 stacks at most), so getting a BT first is even more viable. That said, I generally go for IE first (after Zerk's/Doran's/Vamp Scepter), then PD, then finish BT, LW, and some MR somewhere in between.

What matters most is that you know how to last hit and etc. If you focus on that and not being aggressive constantly, you'll have less deaths and your CS will be higher, meaning your stacks problem will not be an issue both because you'll lose stacks less and you'll gain stacks faster, and most importantly, you will be ahead, so it won't really matter which of those two you get first.

I think my focus needs to shift to last hitting and staying back. It's hard to do in Solo Queue because I find that my partners tend to push the lane into areas where I feel forced to get aggressive. It's hard not to get baited into pushing the lane I'll just have to force myself to be more disciplined.

I'm guessing whatever makes Shen so good is not very good in solo queue?

Shen wasn't really used in competitive much, he is much more commonly banned in solo queue. Teemo is a good counter too him though. Teemo actually beats a lot of solo tops, especially ones with out a jump that are melee. If I ever see a Singed or Rumble top, I go Teemo as a hard counter.

Wukong is good against Teemo, GP can be strong if given an early advantage in some way like a gank. The real counter to Teemo though is good ganks pre-6. If he loses advantage early he is fucked for the rest of the game.

Blizzard

Banned
Shen wasn't really used in competitive much, he is much more commonly banned in solo queue. Teemo is a good counter too him though. Teemo actually beats a lot of solo tops, especially ones with out a jump that are melee. If I ever see a Singed or Rumble top, I go Teemo as a hard counter.

Wukong is good against Teemo, GP can be strong if given an early advantage in some way like a gank. The real counter to Teemo though is good ganks pre-6. If he loses advantage early he is fucked for the rest of the game.
How do you avoid getting hit by rumble's ranged slow as teemo? It seems like it would be the same distance as teemo's attacks.

Also, I just saw an akali top apparently intentionally feed in ranked, giving 8-10 early kills, ending up with 16+ deaths, and building three snowball items (thus reinforcing the griefing). The rumble they were against went 22/2/whatever and had 828 AP. It was a lot of AP.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
Shen wasn't really used in competitive much...
RuxKU.jpg

Teemo isn't a counter to Shen either. Teemo does well against melee based champions who sit in creep waves. Shen doesn't have to do that. Harass and farm with Q all you want. You don't really even have to pay attention to him. Mid and late game and in team fights Teemo just isn't very helpful. Rumble should destroy Teemo too. Blinding a mage does nothing.

I think Teemo is good. I'm confused about his buffs though. If I were buffing Teemo, I would just increase his attack range to 550. Giving him more damage is an odd choice.

Feature

Banned
You guys should check out the cosplay on the LoL facebook page, funny shit in there. Comments are pretty hard though but sometimes hilarious!

What traits make a chapmion a top, bot or mid-lane character??

It's more like what traits of the lanes make them good for certain champions to go to. Mid has close together towers (safer for squishy champions), is close to blue buff (good for heavy mana users) and is in the middle of the map (can roam to either lane if they can push their lane up with AoE damage). Bot is close to dragon so for dragon control its best to have 2 people in the lane, which is also gives more protection to a squishy but reduces experience gain so it's better for champions that don't need levels to scale well ie. squishy attack damage champions plus any champion that synergises well with a squishy AD champ with buffs, heals etc. That leaves top as a solo lane and as a long lane which makes it easiest to gank so it tends to favor beefier champs who can survive a gank better. Melee champs need to be beefy so top is mostly for melee tanky/bruiser types, but also squishier types can do well there if they have good escapes (eg. kennen and vlad are both good top laners)

That leaves top as a solo lane and as a long lane which makes it easiest to gank so it tends to favor beefier champs who can survive a gank better. Melee champs need to be beefy so top is mostly for melee tanky/bruiser types, but also squishier types can do well there if they have good escapes (eg. kennen and vlad are both good top laners)

Agree with everything you said. In addition to escapes and/or tankiness, great top lane champions typically have sustain to keep them in lane so they don't need to go back often and can survive harassment. Since they are also the only person in that lane, staying in lane ensures the tower isn't being pushes.

It also helps a lot if they have some type of CC to make the ganks from the jungler even better.

Zissou

I think LoL is the only game I've played where matches are decided by the worst players rather than the best ones. Whoever has the person on their team who feeds the most will lose, and even the most skilled player can't balance out the stupidity of really terrible teammates. When I lose, majority of the time I feel there's nothing I could have done differently to counteract one my teammates being an idiot, and when I win, I feel like victory was handed to me and my skill meant nothing since the other team happened to get the asshole that sabotaged the game for them.

Ken

I think LoL is the only game I've played where matches are decided by the worst players rather than the best ones. Whoever has the person on their team who feeds the most will lose, and even the most skilled player can't balance out the stupidity of really terrible teammates. When I lose, majority of the time I feel there's nothing I could have done differently to counteract one my teammates being an idiot, and when I win, I feel like victory was handed to me and my skill meant nothing since the other team happened to get the asshole that sabotaged the game for them.
That's how I feel sometimes.

Played with a terrible Cho'gath who fed and we lost the game.
Get matched up against him the next game but wait, there's even worse people on my team than that C'g. We lose.

Yup. I only play with 3 or 4 friends. We rarely have bad games but we get stuck with the worst people possible. Insta locking mids who feed and reply "Only normal game!" or "Why you no gank? Noob jungler". Funnily enough because you were overpushed!

I hate jungling with randoms. They always blame you for them losing in a lane.

Q8D3vil

its also the only game people get worse when they reach lvl30 due hitting their skill cap extremely quickly.

Blizzard

Banned
It really is a slot machine to an extent. Some people might say to duo queue (which probably helps a lot) or to play NeoGAF teams (which seem cursed to lose lots of games sometimes) but yeah. :p

Like last night, that akali on our team didn't talk (except to say "si" once?), bought the three snowball items after feeding like 8-10 deaths, fed 16 deaths overall, was possibly intentionally feeding, and the other team's Rumble had like 22 kills and 828 AP. The next game, MY team had a poppy with like 22 kills. And it wasn't like they were a consistently good player when I looked at their history, it was random champions, a (ranked) leave, mixed results etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom