• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

League of Legends |OT2| So free, it's only 8000 USD!

Status
Not open for further replies.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
wait what did he say about the global teemo taunt? i don't get it.
The joke that floats around is that Teemo has a global taunt, because everyone just always wants to kill him more than any other champion.

Blizzard

Banned
After several losses today I was just in a game where we had 3 gaffers and a random viktor, and a random mundo. The mundo went 1v2 top and DID IT WELL, the viktor went against xerath AND DID WELL, and they were 9/3/21 and 14/6/16 respectively. Good mundo and viktor, never thought I'd see the day.

Watching that bonus clip, I wish I had brass balls of steel so i can play morgana like that, but that goes to show how powerful her kit is.

Touch

I really want to get back into playing this game. It's been months since I have played a match. Played the game regularly from beta till just after last year? Dreamhack. Whenever the first season came to close. I still log on and watch streams from time to time but haven't jumped back in yet. To be honest, I don't even know where to start. There has been a lot of changes and additions that are really overwhelming.

Just start in Normal Blind Pick and fuck around, if you watch streams you'll have more than enough info about how the game is nowadays.

Touch

Okay, so I just played my first game in months. 7/1/5. The death was because we got ganked at Baron, noob (no vision at all) mistake. I played the game like a complete newcomer :lol

It's going to take some time to get back to where I was before I stopped playing.

Achtius

damn,unless i get more rp, i have to decide between talon and sona. probably sona tho, since i just got Crimson elite for talon =/

Blizzard

Banned
Big QQ post:

I really really don't like tryndamere, speaking of nerfing Riven.

Went riven top versus tryndamere. Someone else gave first blood, but I kept harassing tryndamere...actually I may have killed him by myself in levels 1-4 or so.

Then Udyr ganked. Tryndamere died again. Tryndamere's tower goes down at 7 minutes or so.

But it's Tryndamere! So he keeps pushing the lane super quick, and since he builds AS, he has constant crits. We keep harassing, but he keeps pushing. If I leave to buy with someone else guarding, or try to help another lane, the tower loses 25-50% of its health. Eventually it goes down because by level 16 or so (whatever 20-25 minutes in is), I can't outdo trynd's lifesteal and crit. I leave the lane for then, but of course trynd keeps pushing top. He got ganked at least one more time there, but it's trynd so he just bought more items.

He ended up with a single defense item (wriggles), and attacked me (I was near full HP?) with yorick at the top inhibitor tower. He tower dove me, followed me through the tower, to the NEXUS TOWERS, tanked one or two of those, killed me, ran back, possibly tanked another tower hit or to, had a few hundred HP left, went through the wall to get into the jungle, escaping the rest of my team of course. He did not use his ult in all this time. This was probably my fault for not attacking him 3-4 more times, but I suspect if I had, I would have died earlier due to yorick and yorick's ult clone (which had also tower dived the first tower).

After tower diving through 2-4 turrets and going through a wall, he showed up again about 5-10 seconds later with full HP. I don't even know how. Wolves? Anyway cait ulted (surprise, tryndamere ult, ult fails), but he died after that.

Then in our final attempts to salvage the game, I was just sucking, so I failed at least two different times when we could have killed him again. Once he had the ult up again already (I guess it comes up as soon as he spawns basically?) and I failed to wait and use riven's ult, and the second time I missed two different stuns while he ran through the jungle and outspeeded phoenix Udyr. I did killed him again with ignite right before we lost.

Now we probably had other bad people and it wasn't like he was the only reason we lost. But it just seems like no matter what, even if he loses his lane at 7 minutes, all he has to do is keep pushing, and he becomes someone that requires 2-3 people at least to deal with in most situations, and nearly impossible to kill and chase without heavy stuns.

The worst part is, when I try tryndamere I would always mistime the ult and die. You'd think it would be easy to play him.

*end QQ*

HEEEEEEELP!

Hey guys, I'm having a helluva time scoring kills in this game so far. I'm about as n00bish as they come, with about 10 matches under my belt, but a common stat line for me will be:

2/7/15

I always get people within an inch of life andn they almost always get away. Doesn't matter if who I'm using. And even when I use characters like Annie (certified offensive beasts), I never deal the caliber of damage I see the computer dealing using the same basic techniques (fb stun --> bear --> fb --> flame). Where the computer will do a combo like that and snatch 2/3 of my life, I'm lucky to get 2/5ths, while using most of the same upgrades).

For reference sake, I'm usually using Corky, Nadilee, LeBlanc and Annie.

My upgrades for my ability-heavy characters (all but Nadilee) will usually be a mix of something like (listed in no order): Rabadon's Deathcap, Sorcerer's Shoes, Blasting Wand, Amplifing tome, Doran's Ring, Catalyst of the Protector, Majai's Soulstealer, Voidstaff...and items gained when leveling up to some of these items. I usually don't spend too much on regular attack upgrades because my understanding is that regular attack upgrades don't affect ability damage and visa versa.

I feel like I'm missing something essential, but I don't know what. I know basic strategy changes like flanking will help, but it just seems like I never do the damage I expect to do after upgrading abilities.

Ferrio

Banned
You should show us some screenshots of your win/lose screens. I doubt we can tell you what you're doing wrong in a fight unless you show us a clip. But you may just have low CS, therefor behind the damage curve to nuke people down. Showing us some screens with your numbers would help.

Also corki is not played as an AP character, he usually goes damage items not magical. Also don't get soulstealer. You only get that *if* you know you're going to snowball. Sounds like that never happens with you, so skip that item.

bjaelke

And even when I use characters like Annie (certified offensive beasts), I never deal the caliber of damage I see the computer dealing using the same basic techniques (fb stun --> bear --> fb --> flame). Where the computer will do a combo like that and snatch 2/3 of my life, I'm lucky to get 2/5ths, while using most of the same upgrades).

Dont the Annie combo start with a Tibber's stun? Long time since I've played her.

Inskipp

Dreams-Visions said:
I always get people within an inch of life andn they almost always get away. Doesn't matter if who I'm using. And even when I use characters like Annie (certified offensive beasts)
You should probably try softening up your opponents before landing your burst- combo, via means of harassment, to around like 50% of their hp.

You could also consider on bringing ignite with you.

Dreams-Visions said:
I never deal the caliber of damage I see the computer dealing using the same basic techniques (fb stun --> bear --> fb --> flame). Where the computer will do a combo like that and snatch 2/3 of my life, I'm lucky to get 2/5ths, while using most of the same upgrades)
This could be due to a number of factors. The main two simplest factors that pop in my mind would be the enemy either outleveling you or having better items than you (meaning he is outfarming you in gold)

Honestly, your description is pretty vague so I can't really put my finger on the specifics without making an educated guess.
Dreams-Visions said:
My upgrades for my ability-heavy characters (all but Nidalee)
Does this mean you're playing Corki as an AP-caster?
Dreams-Visions said:
(listed in no order)
It would actually be very helpful if you could tell us that on what order you buy your items, since early game itemization is crucial for your follow-up.

Also, Mejais is bad, especially while starting up. Please avoid using it.

kiunchbb

www.dictionary.com
Dont the Annie combo start with a Tibber's stun? Long time since I've played her.

Should never cast Tibber without a stun, it has longer range, and is also a aoe stun.

HEEEEEEELP!

I always get people within an inch of life andn they almost always get away. Doesn't matter if who I'm using. And even when I use characters like Annie (certified offensive beasts), I never deal the caliber of damage I see the computer dealing using the same basic techniques (fb stun --> bear --> fb --> flame). Where the computer will do a combo like that and snatch 2/3 of my life, I'm lucky to get 2/5ths, while using most of the same upgrades).

Try take ignite, and use it when you sure you can kill them at the end of your combo. Since it does true damage, you can just cast it when their health got low enough.

How did they escape? Did they flash away? When you fight in lane, just harass, slowly taking down their health until you can kill them in one combo + ignite, then get in and burst them down. Just make sure you save enough mana for whatever combo you need to kill them. If they go back to base, just keep farming minion for gold advantage.

Damage is depend on your ability power verse their magic resistant, if you don't have much ability power or they been stacking magic resist, your not going to do that much damage. They could also be buying a lot of health, unless you out farm or got a bunch of early kills ahead of your opponent, I doubt you can 1 combo them 2/3 of their life.

Achtius

Big QQ post:

I really really don't like tryndamere, speaking of nerfing Riven.

Went riven top versus tryndamere. Someone else gave first blood, but I kept harassing tryndamere...actually I may have killed him by myself in levels 1-4 or so.

Then Udyr ganked. Tryndamere died again. Tryndamere's tower goes down at 7 minutes or so.

But it's Tryndamere! So he keeps pushing the lane super quick, and since he builds AS, he has constant crits. We keep harassing, but he keeps pushing. If I leave to buy with someone else guarding, or try to help another lane, the tower loses 25-50% of its health. Eventually it goes down because by level 16 or so (whatever 20-25 minutes in is), I can't outdo trynd's lifesteal and crit. I leave the lane for then, but of course trynd keeps pushing top. He got ganked at least one more time there, but it's trynd so he just bought more items.

He ended up with a single defense item (wriggles), and attacked me (I was near full HP?) with yorick at the top inhibitor tower. He tower dove me, followed me through the tower, to the NEXUS TOWERS, tanked one or two of those, killed me, ran back, possibly tanked another tower hit or to, had a few hundred HP left, went through the wall to get into the jungle, escaping the rest of my team of course. He did not use his ult in all this time. This was probably my fault for not attacking him 3-4 more times, but I suspect if I had, I would have died earlier due to yorick and yorick's ult clone (which had also tower dived the first tower).

After tower diving through 2-4 turrets and going through a wall, he showed up again about 5-10 seconds later with full HP. I don't even know how. Wolves? Anyway cait ulted (surprise, tryndamere ult, ult fails), but he died after that.

Then in our final attempts to salvage the game, I was just sucking, so I failed at least two different times when we could have killed him again. Once he had the ult up again already (I guess it comes up as soon as he spawns basically?) and I failed to wait and use riven's ult, and the second time I missed two different stuns while he ran through the jungle and outspeeded phoenix Udyr. I did killed him again with ignite right before we lost.

Now we probably had other bad people and it wasn't like he was the only reason we lost. But it just seems like no matter what, even if he loses his lane at 7 minutes, all he has to do is keep pushing, and he becomes someone that requires 2-3 people at least to deal with in most situations, and nearly impossible to kill and chase without heavy stuns.

The worst part is, when I try tryndamere I would always mistime the ult and die. You'd think it would be easy to play him.

*end QQ*

I don't get it, you make it sound like tryn lost the game for theother team but you still lost?

bjaelke

I want a patch already :(

Will be sad if viktor isn't buffed

I don't think he'll be fixed in time for the free week. Riot would've released a patch preview by now.
Try take ignite, and use it when you sure you can kill them at the end of your combo. Since it does true damage, you can just cast it when their health got low enough.
I doubt he has Ignite already. You unlock it at level 7 and he's only played 10 games.

Blizzard

Banned
I don't get it, you make it sound like tryn lost the game for theother team but you still lost?
I was saying that tryndamere was doing rather badly early game, was 0/3 and lost the turret. Per the suggestion in the thread though, maybe I should avoid killing the turret and try to prolong the laning phase? That seems to me like he would still continue to farm inlane, however.

Anyway, after he did badly early game, he was still incredibly effective killing towers, and by the 45 minute mark was almost unstoppable (without bloodthirster), including diving through multiple turrets and going through a wall all without using his ult. In addition it tended to take 3-4 people on our team to have a chance of killing him due to his escape abilities.

I think it's been said that tryndamere is the highest endgame DPS, or somethign like that, and I was just QQing that it would seem unfair to me for him to keep that DPS if other characters who don't have as much potential are nerfed. I know the answer is probably to win the other lanes and have more stuns and exhausts and whatnot.

Ferrio

Banned
I was saying that tryndamere was doing rather badly early game, was 0/3 and lost the turret. Per the suggestion in the thread though, maybe I should avoid killing the turret and try to prolong the laning phase? That seems to me like he would still continue to farm inlane, however.

No... since you were owning him in lane. So he shouldn't be able to. Soon as you killed turret he gets all from the river to his second turret to farm. You avoid killing turret, continue getting CS and denying him, and continue to feed on him when you can.

Blizzard

Banned
No... since you were owning him in lane. So he shouldn't be able to. Soon as you killed turret he gets all from the river to his second turret to farm. You avoid killing turret, continue getting CS and denying him, and continue to feed on him when you can.
Well the other issue is that by level 12-16 if not earlier, I think riven stops being able to handle tryndamere due to lifesteal and attack speed ramping up, plus the ult. That makes staying in the lane and trying to feed on him very risky. I think Boken mentioned that tryndamere owns riven in lane, possibly ufokidd too, so I don't -think- she's supposed to be able to beat him longterm.

Thanks for the tips though. I have been trying boots first on riven top and it has worked okay in the last few games.

Can you perhaps provide a replay of this game?
I'm afraid I don't run any replay stuff. Suffice to say that there were many reasons we lost (not enough damage, not being able to push lanes, people kept trying to kill swain alone and dying, that sort of thing), and the tryndamere thing was just a whiny observation because he was such a powerful force on his own right. :p

Inskipp

I'm afraid I don't run any replay stuff.
That's a shame. It would be much more easier to examine and evaluate mistakes, as people usually forget their (or others) mistakes when trying to describe their past games from memory (I'm guilty of this)

thanks for the thoughts guys. I'll take some screen shots of my next few games.

To answer some of the questions: Often they get away thanks to flat out foot speed early on. Later, usually through team healing spells.

I'm usually not out-leveled, but indeed they aren't always at half life before I go in for the attack flurry.

I'll also post a more detailed version of my usual upgrade paths. Is there a way to check an opponents magic resist/upgrades? (I'll probably have answered my own question here by the time I finish my next game.)

I'll spend more time widdling. Now that I think about it, part of the problem could be that I'm mostly doing attack moves, so my characters end up starting their attacks at the edge of their offensive range. so by the time one hits, the enemy starts retreating and I may not be able to run them down unless I'm using someone with a teleport ability like LeBlanc or Corky. Hadn't really thought about just regular moving as close to the enemy as possible (without attack-move) before attacking. I'll try that next.

Oh, and yes I had been emphasizing Corky's ability leveling. Not as much as for LeBlanc, but his Unique ability just seems like the best way for me to take down someone quickly retreating, so I assumed I should put a fair amount of investment into his ability tree.

edit: oh, and so far I've just been playing Intermediate vs AI.

Inskipp

If you can spare a minute (and some memory), you should consider on installing LoLreplay. It's a third-party software, that records your games and saves them in neat lrf.- files.

It also allows you to upload your replays to their website, where other people can dl and check them out.

Dreams-Visions said:
Is there a way to check an opponents magic resist/upgrades?
Click on the enemy with the left mouse button, and you should see their info displayed on the top left corner, including mres
Dreams-Visions said:
Oh, and yes I had been emphasizing Corky's ability leveling.
I would strongly advise against it, as Corki can be played as a devastating AD- carry, who has a much more devastating impact in the game. Two of his skills scale from AD (one of them even shreds armor), and his passive greatly benefits from AD- damage.

Ferrio

Banned
Well the other issue is that by level 12-16 if not earlier, I think riven stops being able to handle tryndamere due to lifesteal and attack speed ramping up, plus the ult. That makes staying in the lane and trying to feed on him very risky. I think Boken mentioned that tryndamere owns riven in lane, possibly ufokidd too, so I don't -think- she's supposed to be able to beat him longterm.

Thanks for the tips though. I have been trying boots first on riven top and it has worked okay in the last few games.

I'm afraid I don't run any replay stuff. Suffice to say that there were many reasons we lost (not enough damage, not being able to push lanes, people kept trying to kill swain alone and dying, that sort of thing), and the tryndamere thing was just a whiny observation because he was such a powerful force on his own right. :p

Rarely a reason to run boots on riven as starting item. Her abilities give her the mobility needed to dodge harass (whole point of early boots). Get cloth, most likely you'll need it for whoever is top. Boots are okay if you're up against a Skillshot top person, and don't wanna use your skills to dodge.

edit: oh, and so far I've just been playing Intermediate vs AI.

Oh you're only playing bots... I'd suggest stop doing that asap. It's a big crutch, so when you start playing real players you'll get your ass handed to you. It's two total different playstyles, and you'll learn bad habits that don't work on real people. Bots are good for trying a hero you've never played before, or maybe testing a build. Other than that..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom