• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

League of Legends |OT2| So free, it's only 8000 USD!

Status
Not open for further replies.

kiunchbb

www.dictionary.com
thanks for the thoughts guys. I'll take some screen shots of my next few games.

To answer some of the questions: Often they get away thanks to flat out foot speed early on. Later, usually through team healing spells.

I'm usually not out-leveled, but indeed they aren't always at half life before I go in for the attack flurry.

I'll also post a more detailed version of my usual upgrade paths. Is there a way to check an opponents magic resist/upgrades? (I'll probably have answered my own question here by the time I finish my next game.)

I'll spend more time widdling. Now that I think about it, part of the problem could be that I'm mostly doing attack moves, so my characters end up starting their attacks at the edge of their offensive range. so by the time one hits, the enemy starts retreating and I may not be able to run them down unless I'm using someone with a teleport ability like LeBlanc or Corky. Hadn't really thought about just regular moving as close to the enemy as possible (without attack-move) before attacking. I'll try that next.

Oh, and yes I had been emphasizing Corky's ability leveling. Not as much as for LeBlanc, but his Unique ability just seems like the best way for me to take down someone quickly retreating, so I assumed I should put a fair amount of investment into his ability tree.

edit: oh, and so far I've just been playing Intermediate vs AI.

Bot get item/level as time goes on regardless of how many kill/farm they get, that mean bot just cheat and automatically get items. This could explain why you couldn't do a lot of damage even if you think you are ahead of the bots. Seriously, just go straight to PVP, the match making is pretty good at grouping you with similar players after a few matches.

Also, try fight your opponent when they are close to your tower, that way they will have longer distant to retreat when they running away.

Ability power doesn't always increase the power of an ability, you should go read up a guide in solomid.net, item build is very important. You can check the description of each skills in game, where it say the ability will do... let's say 300 damage (+ ##), if the number after the (+ ##) is orange, that mean the ability will increase in damage when you have more attack damage, if it is green, that mean it will increase if you have more ability power.

2 of the Corky's skills are scale are AD, so the ability will do more damage as you have more AD, Ability power (AP) will not increase anything. The description also tell you if an ability is Magic damage or Physical damage. If it is magic, magic resist will decrease its damage, and magic penetration will decrease some of the magic resist. For physical damage it is armor and armor penetration.

Just follow a item/build guide on solomid.net (the highest rated guide), you will know the reason behind the build as you play more.

Blu10

First game vs actual people, first win.... I figured I would get demolished, but man was that fun

7UdiG.jpg

Blizzard

Banned
Irelia certainly had a lot of armor there! Too bad it apparently didn't help her. :p

Rarely a reason to run boots on riven as starting item. Her abilities give her the mobility needed to dodge harass (whole point of early boots). Get cloth, most likely you'll need it for whoever is top. Boots are okay if you're up against a Skillshot top person, and don't wanna use your skills to dodge.
I got boken'd. He said boots were the secret, so I was like all right dawg, I'll be all boots up in here for 10 games as an experiment.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
Seems crazy to get to level 21 and play your first PvP game. Bot games are so boring.

Blu10

Seems crazy to get to level 21 and play your first PvP game. Bot games are so boring.

Honestly normally play xbox, was looking for something low stress, and vs bots did the trick... the occasionl loss to bots would raise the stakes. I will say they are WAY more aggressive than actual people, but playing against people was a lot more fun... then again I was on the winning team. If I was on the losing team, not sure I would feel the same way.

Plus bots seem to be a good place to learn the champs, and figure out what items work well with them/skill build out. Although they don't hide in the bushes at all. Plus evidently you get way more IP from playing people.

Blu10

Then you go on a losing streak and never feel like playing again

That I do not doubt, but I am now 3-0... officially only playing people now, unless I'm trying out a new champ. To think I was unwilling to play people before... And everyone I've played has been cordial and nice. Is this the twilight zone

Blu10

Quicksilver Sash, removes stuns,snares,exhaust,ignite,roots. Basically anything that might hinder you except for knock ups

ahh... I must be playing only new people as well since I am the only one that seems to get defense stuff outside of that chick with the blades. Everyone seems to be really fixated on offense, although I guess that ends the games quicker.

Never checked out the qss. Is it something I need to activate to use? I always forget to do that unless there is some hotkey I don't know.

Blu10

Items can be used by pressing 1-6. QSS is one of those equipment with Active effect. There are many of them.

awesome thanks, I'll keep that in mind. It's a pain in the butt to click on them, and it's not what I'm thinking about while playing. Can't tell you how many times I have been killed holding 2 health potions

Ferrio

Banned
ahh... I must be playing only new people as well since I am the only one that seems to get defense stuff outside of that chick with the blades. Everyone seems to be really fixated on offense, although I guess that ends the games quicker.

Never checked out the qss. Is it something I need to activate to use? I always forget to do that unless there is some hotkey I don't know.

It's a good item vs certain champs. Malazar and Skarner are great champs to have it against.

Here are a few of my games.

screenshot20120108at102.png

screenshot20120108at934.png

screenshot20120108at758.png

Seems I'm always at the bottom for gold farming. I know that's partially caused by the small number of champions I kill. I think that's a big reason why I end up not getting the better items until really late.

Builds were like: Doran's Ring -->Speed Boots-->Sorcerer's Shoes-->Blasting Wand --> Needless Large Wand-->Rabadon's--> (Build up to Rod of Ages) --> Negatron--->whatever.

Something like that. It's usually not until around the 30 minute mark or so that I can even afford the Rabadon's. Dat lack of gold. :-(

Also, I find I usually only get my kills early in game or really late. Very little for me between 10 minutes - 35 minutes.

*sigh*

Random thoughts (and answers to questions:)

-It's good to know the AI is cheating to get items.
-LoL Replay won't work for me, as I'm an OSX player at the moment.
-thanks for the tips, kinuchbb. Very helpful information.
-My next match will be against real people, as per recommendations
-Thanks all.
-I assume increasing attack speed would help get some of those minion kills before my minions get them. Just kinda hard to anticipate which and how man minions are going to attack and when to time the "last shot". Hard for me, anyway.

sonicmj1

Seems I'm always at the bottom for gold farming. I know that's partially caused by the small number of champions I kill. I think that's a big reason why I end up not getting the better items until really late.

Builds were like: Doran's Ring -->Speed Boots-->Sorcerer's Shoes-->Blasting Wand --> Needless Large Wand-->Rabadon's--> (Build up to Rod of Ages) --> Negatron--->whatever.

Something like that. It's usually not until around the 30 minute mark or so that I can even afford the Rabadon's. Dat lack of gold. :-(

Also, I find I usually only get my kills early in game or really late. Very little for me between 10 minutes - 35 minutes.

*sigh*

-Thanks all.
-I assume increasing attack speed would help get some of those minion kills before my minions get them. Just kinda hard to anticipate which and how man minions are going to attack and when to time the "last shot". Hard for me, anyway.

A few tips:

- Don't get Smite on that kind of champion. If you are in a lane, you don't want Smite. Heal, Ghost, or Teleport will serve you better.
- Getting last hits is just a matter of mastering the timing. Increasing attack speed won't help too much. It just takes practice. You'll figure it out eventually.
- On the subject of last hitting, a useful thing to practice is to avoid attacking minions (walk around, or press 's' to remain stationary) unless your attack will give the last hit. That will force you to try and figure out the exact timing window. It's a little different for each character (for example, Annie's attacks move through the air kind of slowly, so you might need to attack a bit sooner).
- Rod of Ages is a good item, but since it increases in strength the longer you have it, it's best to build it early (before Rabadon's) rather than late. If there isn't time in the game for the Rod to scale, it's not as effective.

LoL has a pretty tough learning curve, but if you put enough time in, you'll improve.

*sigh*

-Thanks all.
Don't use smite unless you want to jungle. Flash, Exhaust, Ghost are more useful. Practice getting last hit. Above all else, do not and I repeat. DO NOT AUTO-ATTACK. You'll miss out on a lot of cs that way. With Annie, you should be doing her Q and getting last hit easy. It'll also refund her mana if its the killing blow. If you can't get kills, then farm creeps. Walk back and forth or stop and wait until it's low enough so you can kill it. Your opponent will be doing the same unless they're noobs and auto attack. I'm still practicing last hit as well. The difference in gold and experience will pay off greatly.

Blu10

It's well worth it. I can't believe I waited this long. I'm not sure what level of bots you are playing, but playing against people they are way less aggressive. It seems to me to be a better balance with people, and the community seems pretty nice and forgiving. Much more so than the people I played bots with.

That I do not doubt, but I am now 3-0... officially only playing people now, unless I'm trying out a new champ. To think I was unwilling to play people before... And everyone I've played has been cordial and nice. Is this the twilight zone

Test champions out in Dominion.

It's what I do, just to get a feel for their attack range, spell range, movement, ect.

Fugu

I couldn't even tolerate playing one game against bots. How some of you did it past the single digit levels is mind-boggling to me.

Ferrio

Banned

*sigh*

-Thanks all.

Your CS is very low. Don't increase your attack speed for it, you just need to get good at it. Also getting a void staff that early in the game is useless. Sorc shoes are enough to negate beginning game MR. Toward the end of the game if you see people stacking magic resist, then ya get one.

Is that not just a different map like the smaller 3v3 one?

It is a different map, but the fights are much more frequent and the game is much more hectic. It's also shorter, lasting 20 minutes on average.

I play it just for testing out builds, skill orders, and general playstyle. It does not translate 1-1 to classic, but I think it's way better to play against people in general.

I played a bot game once. zzzzzzzzz

Blizzard

Banned
I couldn't even tolerate playing one game against bots. How some of you did it past the single digit levels is mind-boggling to me.
I've said it before and maybe it's just a different mindset that's hard for some people to understand? Bots are for fun, playing around, and for bad players. Some people don't read guides, don't have time to play 600 hours of play like me, and occasionally just want to play silly champions and blow up towers.

Casual, non-competitive, bad players may not have any desire to spend the time becoming decent players in long, stress-filled games. Some people DO, and that's great, but it's not for everyone.

Blu10

Casual, non-competitive, bad players may not have any desire to spend the time becoming decent players in long, stress-filled games.

Personally I feel like if I hadn't put the time in with the bots I'd be a pretty worthless teammate, and I'm sure you guys have played games with someone like that judging by that tryndamere drawing a few pages ago.

Calling it a night 4-0, although the last game I sucked it up. Guess the matchmaking is catching up to me (6-11-6, but I did take down 5 towers and 3 inhibitors)

Ferga

I need graves :|

I can't play vayne without a sustain support (unless i'm with entwain/ferrio playing blitz). 4k to go!

Boken

Banned
Irelia certainly had a lot of armor there! Too bad it apparently didn't help her. :p

I got boken'd. He said boots were the secret, so I was like all right dawg, I'll be all boots up in here for 10 games as an experiment.

Boots means you dominate your opponent. Did you dominate the trynd at the start of the game? Yes you did. Case closed. Wriggles are for if you're going to lose your lane.

Ferrio

Banned
Boots means you dominate your opponent. Did you dominate the trynd at the start of the game? Yes you did. Case closed. Wriggles are for if you're going to lose your lane.

How do boots let you dominate? Run at them to death? If her abilities didn't give her mobility I'd agree with you but, I don't see the point of them.

As a Jarvan top (or duo bot) Wriggle's dominates lanes.

It's not for losing, it's for winning fights early.

Boots is great on Garen top, but Riven has a built in dash in - dash out with her Q and E. I don't see the point.

XeroSauce

How do boots let you dominate? Run at them to death? If her abilities didn't give her mobility I'd agree with you but, I don't see the point of them.

Cloth builds into something you don't always need, while boots gives you 300 HP less sustain and a direct build into Lucidity/Mercury Treads.

I personally always run boot3pot unless I'm facing something I can't handle whatsoever.

EDIT: You aren't always going to have your abilities up, and 50 extra movement speed is more then useful for chasing and roaming.

Boken

Banned
As a Jarvan top (or duo bot) Wriggle's dominates lanes.

It's not for losing, it's for winning fights early.

Boots is great on Garen top, but Riven has a built in dash in - dash out with her Q and E. I don't see the point.

Um this is just about Riven.

Boots on riven:
-easier zoning
-less likey to get your spells baited because you move fast
Tada, more domination.

Cloth 5 is pointless if you dont want wriggles. It's also pointless if they rarely want to fight you. Who wants to fight Riven?

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
Um this is just about Riven.

Boots on riven:
-easier zoning
-less likey to get your spells baited because you move fast
Tada, more domination.

Cloth 5 is pointless if you dont want wriggles. It's also pointless if they rarely want to fight you. Who wants to fight Riven?
The cloth armour doesn't add very much and the difference is 2 pots, after nerf. Boots let Riven zone quicker and escape faster, allowing her more room for error to a character that is already hard to gank thanks to her kit early on. Compared to most other tops who don't run boots, rather they build into their first GP5 item. You should be using Riven's aggressive start to zone, rather than playing defensively is it.

Feature

Banned
Big QQ post:

I really really don't like tryndamere, speaking of nerfing Riven.

Went riven top versus tryndamere. Someone else gave first blood, but I kept harassing tryndamere...actually I may have killed him by myself in levels 1-4 or so.

Then Udyr ganked. Tryndamere died again. Tryndamere's tower goes down at 7 minutes or so.

But it's Tryndamere! So he keeps pushing the lane super quick, and since he builds AS, he has constant crits. We keep harassing, but he keeps pushing. If I leave to buy with someone else guarding, or try to help another lane, the tower loses 25-50% of its health. Eventually it goes down because by level 16 or so (whatever 20-25 minutes in is), I can't outdo trynd's lifesteal and crit. I leave the lane for then, but of course trynd keeps pushing top. He got ganked at least one more time there, but it's trynd so he just bought more items.

He ended up with a single defense item (wriggles), and attacked me (I was near full HP?) with yorick at the top inhibitor tower. He tower dove me, followed me through the tower, to the NEXUS TOWERS, tanked one or two of those, killed me, ran back, possibly tanked another tower hit or to, had a few hundred HP left, went through the wall to get into the jungle, escaping the rest of my team of course. He did not use his ult in all this time. This was probably my fault for not attacking him 3-4 more times, but I suspect if I had, I would have died earlier due to yorick and yorick's ult clone (which had also tower dived the first tower).

After tower diving through 2-4 turrets and going through a wall, he showed up again about 5-10 seconds later with full HP. I don't even know how. Wolves? Anyway cait ulted (surprise, tryndamere ult, ult fails), but he died after that.

Then in our final attempts to salvage the game, I was just sucking, so I failed at least two different times when we could have killed him again. Once he had the ult up again already (I guess it comes up as soon as he spawns basically?) and I failed to wait and use riven's ult, and the second time I missed two different stuns while he ran through the jungle and outspeeded phoenix Udyr. I did killed him again with ignite right before we lost.

Now we probably had other bad people and it wasn't like he was the only reason we lost. But it just seems like no matter what, even if he loses his lane at 7 minutes, all he has to do is keep pushing, and he becomes someone that requires 2-3 people at least to deal with in most situations, and nearly impossible to kill and chase without heavy stuns.

The worst part is, when I try tryndamere I would always mistime the ult and die. You'd think it would be easy to play him.

*end QQ*

I'm with you on this, you can outlane / destroy trynda the whole first 10 minutes or so and then he just gets stronger and stronger till it's almost impossible to kill him anymore. Then he'll just towerdive you with his ult, kill you and escape...
Not being able to silence his ult makes it 10 times worse (same with GP's apple eating). Only good counter at this time is teemo for trynda is teemo imo.

Mxrz

Bought Sion. Been going AP. Not had the best of teams, but I'm liking it. Not getting many kills, but eh. Trying to go 2 dorans/boots/deathcap with limited success.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom