• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

League of Legends |OT2| So free, it's only 8000 USD!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Except it's not the same. It's one of the false equivalencies I see people make with Varus all the time. His Ultimate is a ROOT that can daisy chain to other people if they are close to the initial target.

What it is NOT is a STUN. Ashe arrow completely immobilizes an opponent. Varus chain just ensares them, but they can still attack. It has no stun of silence attributes so you can still get hit especially from other ranged characters.

I never said it was a stun. I said it was like those other ults in that it can end a game, which it can.

EXGN

I know this is probably common knowledge, but holy shit - having a duo queue in ranked is soooooo helpful. As long as your buddy is competent, you are minimize the number of potentially bad players to 3, whereas the enemy could have 5.

I found three prospective duos at my Elo, and I try to only queue with them. Since then, I've won 9 out of my last 10 ranked games. Also boosted my Elo from 800 to back to the 1100s over the course of the past week (trying to get back into the 1200s).

And most games aren't even just wins - they are flat out stomps. Went 5/1/25 last game as support Nunu. So much less stressful as well, knowing your duo will stand up for you against flamers.

TLDR, duos are great.

I know this is probably common knowledge, but holy shit - having a duo queue in ranked is soooooo helpful. As long as your buddy is competent, you are minimize the number of potentially bad players to 3, whereas the enemy could have 5.

I found three prospective duos at my Elo, and I try to only queue with them. Since then, I've won 9 out of my last 10 ranked games. Also boosted my Elo from 800 to back to the 1100s over the course of the past week (trying to get back into the 1200s).

And most games aren't even just wins - they are flat out stomps. Went 5/1/25 last game as support Nunu. So much less stressful as well, knowing your duo will stand up for you against flamers.

TLDR, duos are great.

I wish I could find a duo :(

Current bans at my elo of ~1400 (fluctuating a lot right now)

Morg
Shen
Ali
Darius
Malph
Soraka
Kassadin
Jax
Shaco
Blitz
Naut
Kennen
Urgot
Karth

That is my experience from most banned to least (but still banned once or twice) in the last few days. I'd say that Riot is doing pretty well if such a wide range of champs are being banned right now. I'd argue banning Ahri or Ryze over most of those too.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
About bans, you're almost certainly wrong, since you're presumably higher elo than me. At 1200 elo, I suggest kassadin and shaco are VERY common bans.
I'm not a higher ELO. And Kass and Shaco are both not super strong right now and are wasted bans.

Why are people like this?

I quickly pick Naut so I can jungle, but like usual I DON'T lock because I change champ if someone badly wants to play a role, or if we get a better composition. We get Kat, Lee, Olaf and Swain.

Olaf went full retard mode and switched to Smite at the last moment. Then he whines I "stole" his blue. Then keeps on jungling until I also took the red. Then he feeds top Darius. While doing those, he keeps complaining how he has idiots for teammates while everyone pointed out that we already had a jungler and refusing to answer our question as to why he didn't even say he wanted to jungle.

He goes retard mode again by straying TOO close to starting 1v2s, all while building AD Olaf, while stealing blues from Swain.

zkylon

zkylewd
I wish Riot would remove the Lock-In button altogether. Best case scenario, you save maybe 30 seconds of your life, but usually what happens is that some random guy just locks-in Yi after another guy said he only knew how to play Yi.

Ferga

Well I just lagged the hell out of my game.

Watching my little poppy run to the enemy turret with no hesitation while i furiously spam her to go back was sad to watch

FoxSpirit

Dear Riot

Please offer me a subscription that simply lets me play as all the champs and freely stuff rune pages. I don't even need skin access, just all heroes and the ability to freely make rune pages.

I had a busy week and only got in one game which I had to force in but I wanted to take at least one peek at Fizz. No way I can reason myself into spending RP for a champ when sometimes I had so little time to use him. I'll gladly buy skins for the champs I regularly use but I can't spend RP on a champ, that feels silly should I end up not using him that much. Alas, a skinfree subscription would be great.

Ken

Dear Riot

Please offer me a subscription that simply lets me play as all the champs and freely stuff rune pages. I don't even need skin access, just all heroes and the ability to freely make rune pages.

I had a busy week and only got in one game which I had to force in but I wanted to take at least one peek at Fizz. No way I can reason myself into spending RP for a champ when sometimes I had so little time to use him. I'll gladly buy skins for the champs I regularly use but I can't spend RP on a champ, that feels silly should I end up not using him that much. Alas, a skinfree subscription would be great.

Fizz is great. A whale of a time, etc..

My recommendation is to play the champions you currently have and get great at them while building up IP for runes or maybe even a champion. Don't be like me and have 80-some champions but only be decent with a handful.

Also, more champions means you need more runes or rune page which becomes overwhelming if you suddenly have all 99 champions overnight.

Basically what I'm saying is enjoy the champions you already have and be patient with your collection building.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
I'll gladly buy skins for the champs I regularly use but I can't spend RP on a champ, that feels silly should I end up not using him that much.
If you aren't going to use them much why do you need them?

Ken

TLDR, duos are great.

Duos are sometimes great but do not matter when your jungle and top lane are terrible.

FoxSpirit

If you aren't going to use them much why do you need them?
"that feels silly should I end up not using him that much."

Notice the little should? Like Ahri has basically completely replaced my Morgana in mid just because she is so much fun, though Morgana of course is a beast with god farming. Plus dat ulti.

Also, I now stand at a shitty point: lvl 21, 11k IP and... I can't buy a champ. If I want to seriously play I need runes. I will not rage but the rune thing is a crime against older gamers.

The current model is completely tweaked towards kids with a lot of time who will occasionally buy stuff with RP and the rest with IP. Now, I work in a everyday Joe job, which means I still gotta work 40 hours a week but can't just go thrift spending on virtual goods. The basic rune page setup with 4 pages (AP,AD, jungle, support) costs over 50k IP. How much is that in money again??

Ken

Notice the little should? Like Ahri has basically completely replaced my Morgana in mid just because she is so much fun, though Morgana of course is a beast with god farming. Plus dat ulti.

Also, I now stand at a shitty point: lvl 21, 11k IP and... I can't buy a champ. If I want to seriously play I need runes. I will not rage but the rune thing is a crime against older gamers.

The current model is completely tweaked towards kids with a lot of time who will occasionally buy stuff with RP and the rest with IP. Now, I work in a everyday Joe job, which means I still gotta work 40 hours a week but can't just go thrift spending on virtual goods. The basic rune page setup with 4 pages (AP,AD, jungle, support) costs over 50k IP. How much is that in money again??

Since your wish for a subscription based model isn't going go come true for awhile if ever, for now just buy runes everyone can use like armor and magic resist. Champions are too volatile a purchase to spend IP on especially when you just unlocked tier 3 runes. You might do amazingly well during their free week but that could just be luck and you end up doing poorly after purchasing them and end up regret buying them.

Also, why would you want to buy another champion like Fizz when you have Ahri? If there's anything fan art has taught me, it's that Ahri dominates Fizz.

FoxSpirit

Because he seemed really interesting and skill based with a ton of potential. Trickster seems like a fantastic skill.

And if push comes to shove, I'll switch to DotA2 until they have bled enough players and rethink their model. Lower IP prices for runes and faster decay on champs or subscription... or bust.
It's a competitive game and being locked out of it just because you don't wanna pay ridiculous sums upfront, naw.
I love the game, I'll gladly pay but not this way.

P.S.: first page would be support page since gp10 is so quintessential to your income. Literally you can start with a philo stone income which is huuuuuge.

EXGN

Duos are sometimes great but do not matter when your jungle and top lane are terrible.

Ya, what we usually try to do is jungle top, so that way the jungle can feed top a quick kill with a level 2 gank (since top is the hardest lane to escape a gank from). Then the jungle can focus the other two lanes, while the top enjoys a pretty solid advantage.

That said, there have been plenty of times we've gone AD carry/support and steamrolled despite other lanes failing pretty hard. The last game we played we went Nunu/Kog and while top fed hard 5/0 Fiora within 15 minutes do to bad jungle/top), we were able to get some kills on bot and zone them from creeps. Ended up turning it around because the enemy carry was so far behind.

I mean, at the Elo I'm at (1100-1200), anything is possible.

y2dvd

I swear I don't understand Ranked earning system sometimes.

Last night, my team prevented an early jungle invade and got 3 kills off of it. We are doing great up to mid game. All of a sudden, our Kennen top afks for a good 10 minutes. With top free to do anything, the enemy is turning things around and is ganking and pushing towers nonstop.

When Kennen returns, he apologizes and says he had to take a crapper. It would've been nice if he at least said so ahead of time because I had lost all hopes by then. They had took the lead in kills and towers and Kennen is behind in levels. Enemy team has Baron buff and tried to push mid turrent. We somehow defended it. Ok confidence of a glimmer of winning rises. Kennen then disconnects. Heartbreak! He eventually comes back, but he's constantly disc and reconnecting.

Meanwhile, enemy team grabs another Baron and tries to push again. Even though they got an inhib, we for the most part considered the defending the base a success. A few more back and forth battles at base and they eventually take all 3 inhibs, but we were able to Ace them and push back and take a few towers while defending base. We eventually did the unthinking and make one of the biggest comebacks I've ever been in.

Stats screen is about ready to pop up. I deserve +20 points after all that bs! You know how much I got? Only 6 gawd damn points! Gotta be kidding me. I check out each players ELOs. Not only were each of the opposing players ranked higher than me, even after the lost, their combined ELO was higher than my teams. Tell me how that makes sense?!

TL;DR: Win game with team member constantly disconnecting and against a team higher ELO than yours, win less points.
Sorry for the rant! >:[

EXGN

I swear I don't understand Ranked earning system sometimes.

Last night, my team prevented an early jungle invade and got 3 kills off of it. We are doing great up to mid game. All of a sudden, our Kennen top afks for a good 10 minutes. With top free to do anything, the enemy is turning things around and is ganking and pushing towers nonstop.

When Kennen returns, he apologizes and says he had to take a crapper. It would've been nice if he at least said so ahead of time because I had lost all hopes by then. They had took the lead in kills and towers and Kennen is behind in levels. Enemy team has Baron buff and tried to push mid turrent. We somehow defended it. Ok confidence of a glimmer of winning rises. Kennen then disconnects. Heartbreak! He eventually comes back, but he's constantly disc and reconnecting.

Meanwhile, enemy team grabs another Baron and tries to push again. Even though they got an inhib, we for the most part considered the defending the base a success. A few more back and forth battles at base and they eventually take all 3 inhibs, but we were able to Ace them and push back and take a few towers while defending base. We eventually did the unthinking and make one of the biggest comebacks I've ever been in.

Stats screen is about ready to pop up. I deserve +20 points after all that bs! You know how much I got? Only 6 gawd damn points! Gotta be kidding me. I check out each players ELOs. Not only were each of the opposing players ranked higher than me, even after the lost, their combined ELO was higher than my teams. Tell me how that makes sense?!

TL;DR: Win game with team member constantly disconnecting and against a team higher ELO than yours, win less points.
Sorry for the rant! >:[

I'm pretty sure that happens when there is a duo queue Elo mismatch, IE one person in the duo is dramatically higher in Elo than the other. Or at least, that's how it's been explained to me.

But ya, that shit sucks. Nothing worse than a hard-earned win rewarded by a piddly +6 Elo.

garath

Hey guys I have 3 rune pages and I want to know what GAF thinks are the best for AD, AP, and Tank/Support that will work for the majority of champions?

Doesn't look like anyone replied to your question. I currently only have 3 rune pages as well and I make do pretty well playing everything but support. I'm a little handicapped without a dedicated support page :( (and I'd kill for a decent jungler page but I usually play mid or AD carry anyways)

AD:

AD quints, AD marks, Armor seals, flat MR or MR/lvl glyphs (mine are flat MR because I share with my AP page. I play AP much more often and like the flat MR)

AP:

AP quints, magic pen marks, armor seals, flat MR glyphs. I like the armor seals here over mana regen etc because I play manaless champs sometimes and this is a catch-all page for AP. The armor seals help against ganks and auto attack harass

My third page is currently a dedicated Akali page but if I was to make a support page I'd do:

Gp/10 quints, gp/10 marks or health, armor seals, mr/lvl glyphs.

I feel for you. I'm in a similar situation. I'm in my 30s, work full time, have a wife and a child. I get to play maybe 10-15 hours per week and I juggle LoL with D3 and other co-op games with my friends. I've been playing since Dec and I'm still only level 26 and have about 300 games under my belt. Nothing compared to the guys that have 6+ hours a day to play.

I see you mentioned a subscription model. My suggestion would be to make your own. I've spent $20 a month since Jan. I use that money for a few different things. I bought a champ pack initially to get champs for all roles. I use plenty of those so it was worth it imo. I've bought champs (and sometimes skins) on sale as they've interested me. The sale price is great. ~$4 for a champ isn't bad at all. Now I have every champ I was interested in and don't really see buying more unless the new champions are that interesting. I'll just buy a skin here and there and possibly boosts.

Runes and pages are the toughest thing. I actually bought a single rune page with RP and have decided that's a bad idea. I am going to buy the rune page bundle when I hit 30. I love the game and I'm going to stick with it so it'll be worth it. That makes each rune page a little less than $2. It's half the cost of buying each rune page individually. Not too shabby. As far as buying runes, DO NOT SPEND IP ON CHAMPS. Seriously. The only IP I spent on champs was Irelia early early on, then the occasional one that is 1350 or less. I save all my IP for Tier 3 runes. When I hit 20 I was able to buy 2 complete pages worth of runes. I now have 3 complete and 6k IP in the bank ready to flesh out my 4th when I buy the bundle.

Blizzard

Banned
I think I've been lucky and only had flat -12 and +12 for the last 10-20 ranked games I've played, but I remember when I used to lose 12 (if that's the max points) and gain 6, and it was super frustrating.

bjaelke

if I was to make a support page I'd do:

I'd get armor marks instead. Most of the harass in bot lane is auto attacks, so it provides you with a nice reduction. It's not something that's essential at all, but it gives you a 3-4 % damage reduction at level 1 (Alistar used in this example).

Armor without mark: 36.69 (26.5%)

Armor with marks: 44.28 (30%)

garath

I'd get armor marks instead. Most of the harass in bot lane is auto attacks, so it provides you with a nice reduction. It's not something that's essential at all, but it gives you a 3-4 % damage reduction at level 1 (Alistar used in this example).

Thanks :) Good suggestion. I haven't put it into practice so my thoughts were strictly just an educated guess.

y2dvd

I'm pretty sure that happens when there is a duo queue Elo mismatch, IE one person in the duo is dramatically higher in Elo than the other. Or at least, that's how it's been explained to me.

But ya, that shit sucks. Nothing worse than a hard-earned win rewarded by a piddly +6 Elo.

I was thinking that was the case, but my entire team was around the same elo, and 4 out of their 5 players had higher elo than my team. Really was odd.

Blizzard

Banned
I was thinking that was the case, but my entire team was around the same elo, and 4 out of their 5 players had higher elo than my team. Really was odd.
Doesn't losing with 4 people on your team in ranked also get you the full -12 ELO? I think I heard that if it's down to 3v5 you might get "loss forgiven", but the absolute worst is when two of your ranked teammates disconnect/go afk...but then COME BACK just before the end of the game so you don't get the loss forgiven and get the full loss for a 3v5 game. :'(

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member

That's why when you duo you play Jungle and Mid

Easiest way to control and carry the game as you can coordinate ganks between the two of you for any lane and jungle.

That's actually the best way to do it. Because the person who is alot higher will more often than not always be first pick. and at lower ELOs everyone is an asshole who decides roles by who picks them first.

So you're guaranteed atleast one of the roles you want and good bans.

Not to mention lower guy gains at a higher rate. So he catches up sooner

First 10 games are most important. You gain like 25-30 and lose about 12.
First 90 games are less important, but you still gain more than you lose.
After 100 first matches, you just win 13 and lose 12. When you duo with a guy that doesn't have 100 games yet, you will gain less than him, but if he already has 100 games and is higher elo than you, you will gain more than him.

That's how it works I believe

scy

I see you mentioned a subscription model. My suggestion would be to make your own. I've spent $20 a month since Jan. I use that money for a few different things. I bought a champ pack initially to get champs for all roles. I use plenty of those so it was worth it imo. I've bought champs (and sometimes skins) on sale as they've interested me. The sale price is great. ~$4 for a champ isn't bad at all. Now I have every champ I was interested in and don't really see buying more unless the new champions are that interesting. I'll just buy a skin here and there and possibly boosts.

I've been using Diablo 3 to fund the new habit :x It's working out well so far.

bjaelke

Thanks :) Good suggestion. I haven't put it into practice so my thoughts were strictly just an educated guess.

If you already have those runes, then you shouldn't necessarily spend IP on the armor marks. It was merely a suggestion for new players looking to build a support page from scratch.

kiunchbb

www.dictionary.com
Because he seemed really interesting and skill based with a ton of potential. Trickster seems like a fantastic skill.

Range auto attack counter fizz, since he had to melee to do any last hit. At least champ like kat can use her ability to last hit, while fizz will go oom after a few minion.

AP:

AP quints, magic pen marks, armor seals, flat MR glyphs. I like the armor seals here over mana regen etc because I play manaless champs sometimes and this is a catch-all page for AP. The armor seals help against ganks and auto attack harass

My third page is currently a dedicated Akali page but if I was to make a support page I'd do:

Everything sounds good except that I like to add one thing for AP, get movement speed quin. Nearly all op mid are skillshot champ, and the extra movement let you poke&run with aa easier and more often, definitely worth more than whatever that 15 extra ap gave you.

I would just use the third page to counter infavorable matchup when you got counter pick. Like a full armor page or a full mr page on match up that you cannot win.

FoxSpirit

That's 2.7% reduction or: the damage of 1 in 35 autoattacks is negated.
That's so little I rather get my gp10 marks. Especially on a support with heal.

garath

Everything sounds good except that I like to add one thing for AP, get movement speed quin. Nearly all op mid are skillshot champ, and the extra movement let you poke&run with aa easier and more often, definitely worth more than whatever that 15 extra ap gave you.

I would just use the third page to counter infavorable matchup when you got counter pick. Like a full armor page or a full mr page on match up that you cannot win.

Since I play so much mid, a movespeed quint AP page is really high on my list of wants. I'm potentially turning my akali page into that just so I have it.

I like the AP quints for a 'generic' AP page though. The early harass with the extra AP is very nice. You're starting with more than a doran's ring worth of AP just in the quints.

When I buy the 7 page bundle, the 3 pages I'm immediately making are a movespeed quint AP page, a support page and an attack speed jungling page.

The other 4 are going to be counter pages. Or specific champ pages for the oddballs.

y2dvd

First 10 games are most important. You gain like 25-30 and lose about 12.
First 90 games are less important, but you still gain more than you lose.
After 100 first matches, you just win 13 and lose 12. When you duo with a guy that doesn't have 100 games yet, you will gain less than him, but if he already has 100 games and is higher elo than you, you will gain more than him.

That's how it works I believe

Yeah, that sounds about right. I didn't check how many games my opponents had around their belts, but I already have around 700 games in ranked and this is around the 1600s ratings. I would think they would have over 100 by then but who knows. It's just irritating to lose -12 the previous game then only when +6 when all signs points to me getting at least +13. Oh wells. -_-

I'm starting to see Malphite banned. Did they buff him up recently? (haven't really played in a few weeks until the other day)

I see Ezreal banned a lot, but I'm sure it's to prevent scrubs from playing Pulsefire Ezreal lol.

EXGN

Yeah, that sounds about right. I didn't check how many games my opponents had around their belts, but I already have around 700 games in ranked and this is around the 1600s ratings. I would think they would have over 100 by then but who knows. It's just irritating to lose -12 the previous game then only when +6 when all signs points to me getting at least +13. Oh wells. -_-

I'm starting to see Malphite banned. Did they buff him up recently? (haven't really played in a few weeks until the other day)

I see Ezreal banned a lot, but I'm sure it's to prevent scrubs from playing Pulsefire Ezreal lol.

AFAIK, he's always been quite strong, but his ult used to be bugged so that even if you hit it perfectly, it wouldn't knock anyone up. Now that his ult has been fixed, he's finally getting the love he deserves and people view him as more of a threat.

He has had a few quality of life boosts as well (better HP scaling, AOE increased on ult, etc.)

MS quints are too good. I only have one right now, but I really like how I end up with 399 MS on Lee with tier 1 boots. I usually don't bother upgrading unless I really need the added effect of tabi/tread.

Secured 3 kills as Lee Sin earlier. I think I'm gonna buy him. I love dashes so much. I still have money after buying Naut today.
www.youtube.com/watch?v=ejw3z4WYumY

AFAIK, he's always been quite strong, but his ult used to be bugged so that even if you hit it perfectly, it wouldn't knock anyone up.
When was that fix? I played Malphite maybe 2 weeks ago where I ulted and it didn't even hit anyone even though they were all clustered.

EXGN

When was that fix? I played Malphite maybe 2 weeks ago where I ulted and it didn't even hit anyone even though they were all clustered.

V1.0.0.135:
Granite Shield now shows a cooldown timer.
Unstoppable Force:
Area of effect radius on impact increased to 325 from 300.
Malphite can no longer Flash while using Unstoppable Force.
Fixed a bug where Malphite would seem to hit the target but would not cause the effect.

Maybe the bug is still there, just doesn't happen as often as it once did? I dunno, only play Malph when he's free.

bjaelke

iiEmds2zFXAUd.jpg

Such a long and tedious game. Felt a bit useless at first because of all the poke.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom