• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

League of Legends |OT2| So free, it's only 8000 USD!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ken

Yeah, but it's no real CC or dash/flash or anything and yeah, I don't really know what to do at the team fights at the end. I'm pretty bad at Akali at the moment, but I'll get the hang of it. I do pretty well on mid now, and I'm pretty good at getting those hard kills but...

Well, when laning obviously don't push too far or your W can't save you. In team fights your job is to burst down their AD and maybe even AP carry. If you can do that much then I think you did a good job.

Edit: Bind is a terrible person and I never want to play with him again.

y2dvd

Hooray I broke 1500 again :)

Back to 1700 is the tricky part.

Yeah, I fell from near 1900 back down to 1620s. I blame playing that PoS Diablo for about a few weeks straight! It's been so damn hard to climb back up, especially since I just don't get to play as much anymore.

I was 1290ish two weeks ago.

I am now 1550.

Wduau.png

I'm either the luckiest person in the world, or I got a LOT better.

Elo heaven man.

The Naut game I got my blue stolen level 1. Forced a 20m surrender.

The earlier Graves game I think I got teamed with Chu8 smurfing on people's accounts for money.

Honestly, as long as I get competent teammates, I feel that I could win every game. You probably just leveled up is all. ;]

Someone teach me how to lane. It's so scary outside the jungle.
Just gotta know your match ups. Know who you could abuse or who you got to play passive with. Last hit whenever you can and try to punish them safely when they try to go for their last hits. Buy a ward to spot enemy junglers. Check enemy items. Communicate with your jungler; let him know if the enemy warded or not or if they burned their flash. It's always good to know multiple roles!

garath

Yeah, but it's no real CC or dash/flash or anything and yeah, I don't really know what to do at the team fights at the end. I'm pretty bad at Akali at the moment, but I'll get the hang of it. I do pretty well on mid now, and I'm pretty good at getting those hard kills but...

Her teamfights are basically hang back, dash in to burst down the biggest squishy threat, pop W and hide until your team has taken the focus off you and do it again.

Alternatively, you wait until everyone is low and play cleanup, dashing from target to target racking up a big multikill. If I recall correctly my first penta was a situation like that lol.

My problem with her though is you can't really carry the late game. If I'm having a decent Akali game I'm pretty fed, have disrupted most of the lanes and can burst down any squishy pretty quick but come lategame, I'm relying on my team to initiate and keep the focus off me long enough to take out their carries. Tanky targets generally do well against me and I'm pretty squishy myself. I haven't been able to really carry games as Akali like I can with other champs (like Vlad for example).

EXGN

Garen's spin crits but only the bonus damage ratio. Pretty meh to be honest. His only disruption is Q (long cooldown), and he doesn't have a "look at me!" button. He's not even great at top. Who exactly does he beat? Maybe Renekton.

He has really mean level 3 damage. I actually think Garen is a really strong top, he just sucks late game. From a few games this week, I can tell you Akali is one strong matchup for him since you can spin to win her stupid invisibubble.

I think I'm finally gonna buy a new rune page so I can make a support focused one. I actually really like playing support but I don't have the runes for it, so I usually end up going AP. Really annoying, but I think I'll be a better support as a result.

After thhat, I'll have AD, AP, Jungle and Support pages finally!

Hello. I'm pretty newish to the game and have mostly played customer or player vs AI games. Tried my 3rd pvp game with a friend last night. He was Talon and I was Alistar. We were owning up bottom lane early in the game. I would hide in bushes or flash behind an enemy (I'm level 12) and headbutt them into Talon and destroy them and either attack the remaining guy or retreat based on how the fight went.

This was amazing in the early game but by mid to late game I really fell off and died way too much. I bought mostly health boosting items (Frozen Mallet and somthing else I can't remember) but it still felt like I got worked really quick. Am I building the wrong items or is it that I need to be that more careful in the lategame trying to position headbutts? What build order would you guys recomend?

garath

Hello. I'm pretty newish to the game and have mostly played customer or player vs AI games. Tried my 3rd pvp game with a friend last night. He was Talon and I was Alistar. We were owning up bottom lane early in the game. I would hide in bushes or flash behind an enemy (I'm level 12) and headbutt them into Talon and destroy them and either attack the remaining guy or retreat based on how the fight went.

This was amazing in the early game but by mid to late game I really fell off and died way too much. I bought mostly health boosting items (Frozen Mallet and somthing else I can't remember) but it still felt like I got worked really quick. Am I building the wrong items or is it that I need to be that more careful in the lategame trying to position headbutts? What build order would you guys recomend?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k0iG46_KsSY

Watch this video. Muffinqt is a great support player. He plays a mean allistar.

EXGN

Frozen Mallet isn't a super good item on Alistar - you want to be building defense or support items with maybe a bit of AP mixed in. Frozen Mallet gives you some degree of HP (good) but it also is an attack item, which isn't all that useful on Ali. Frozen Heart would be a better choice. Getting armor and magic resist (Banshee's Veil, Randuin's Omen, Frozen Heart, etc.) will help you wade into the enemy line up and headbutt their weak characters into your team.

A lot of people will recommend playing support Alistar, but at your level, I'd just focus on building defense and AP items and learning to land your skills.

Fun fact for Ali: You headbutt into pulverize. Once you click an enemy with W, start mashing Q and you will knock them up once the headbutt lands.

y2dvd

Frozen Mallet is meant for characters that can attack quickly because it gives them the ability to perma slow them pretty much. Alistars attack speed isn't very high, so Frozen Mallet isn't necessary. Get the gold producing items. Since you won't be last hitting, the GP items will help with your income and it compliments nicely. Heart of Gold will give you some needed health. Philo Stone will give you mana regen to spam heal or spells and it gives you regen after tanking. The great thing about those two items is that it builds into some great team items. Buy wards whenever you could afford them.

Since you are a beginner, this is how I would start which is the standard support build:
Faerie Charm, 3 wards, 2 health pots >>
Philo Stone, boots, Heart of Gold >>

From here it kinda depends.
If the enemy team is AD heavy, I'll rush to Randuin's Omen.
If they are balanced, I'll get Aegis.
If we are owning, I'll get Shurelya's.
>>
Upgrade to next level boots.

Go crazy late game. Key thing is constantly buying wards for map awareness.

Alright. I've taken notes and plan to watch that video tonight. Thanks for the ideas guys! Like I said, we were dominating early on so I had a suspision that it was my build that was slowing me down. Thanks again!

Honestly don't bother following the meta at all, specially at your level. You won't even always have a jungler. Go get gold from creeps when you can.

Alistar needs to focus on tanking. If he really needs damage items, the only item for that is Sheen, which upgrades to Trinity Force but do it very last.

scy

Honestly don't bother following the meta at all, specially at your level. You won't even always have a jungler. Go get gold from creeps when you can.

Every time I want to jungle I look at my team and just go "Nope, they'll end up sending an AD carry 2v1 top and I'll get shit on for this decision" so I've basically played nothing but Riven and Vlad.

Need to just get to 20+ before I worry about that, I guess :(

garath

Every time I want to jungle I look at my team and just go "Nope, they'll end up sending an AD carry 2v1 top and I'll get shit on for this decision" so I've basically played nothing but Riven and Vlad.

Need to just get to 20+ before I worry about that, I guess :(

Yeah. The low level games are pretty much just a every man for themselves sort of game. Focus on learning the champs as best as possible and work on your mechanics - map awareness, last hitting, etc.

scy

Yeah. The low level games are pretty much just a every man for themselves sort of game. Focus on learning the champs as best as possible and work on your mechanics - map awareness, last hitting, etc.

Hardest thing in the world with people randomly attacking creeps and pushing waves :( It's half the reason I have Vlad for a back-up top lane pick. Choose him if I'm too frustrated at missing last hits due to my lane getting pushed to tower and Riven getting zoned out all night.

I also officially hate every champ with a damage aura (e.g., Mundo). Fuck you, good sir. At least get the kills if you're doing this :(

y2dvd

Alistar needs to focus on tanking. If he really needs damage items, the only item for that is Sheen, which upgrades to Trinity Force but do it very last.

He can be ahead of the curb! I'm playing with some friends who've just started and I'm teaching them meta right away because it teaches great fundamentals from the start. Once you learn the fundamentals, feel free to branch out. There's a reason why it's meta - it's proven to work. Learn the meta. Learn the fundamentals. Be ahead of the curb at your level.

EXGN

He can be ahead of the curb! I'm playing with some friends who've just started and I'm teaching them meta right away because it teaches great fundamentals from the start. Once you learn the fundamentals, feel free to branch out. There's a reason why it's meta - it's proven to work. Learn the meta. Learn the fundamentals. Be ahead of the curb at your level.

The problem is that people at level 12 don't know how to last hit, so playing 0 CS support probably won't be very beneficial. Definitely good to know the ideal way of playing, but also it's important to play to the current situation as well.

How come Lux isn't THAT very popular? She's free this week in our region and I tried her. I usually end up getting the best KD/A, which makes me wish I went for Mejai. Her ratios average at 0.7 which is good, and the base damages are all fine. Every non-ult skill has a utility. Her ult has high AoE damage on a ridiculously low cooldown that lets me cast two ults per team fight. Laning isn't shabby and can be a bully if played aggressive. I don't know if I'm gonna buy Lux or Lulu next anymore. She feels like a much better AP Ezreal.

The problem is that people at level 12 don't know how to last hit, so playing 0 CS support probably won't be very beneficial. Definitely good to know the ideal way of playing, but also it's important to play to the current situation as well.

Yeah, this. I've played one game before where the guy asked me to be support Blitz. His CSing was just terrible even though he wasn't getting harassed. He couldn't really even take advantage of my grabs. I got fed up and starting CSing when mid-game started, but it was too late.

XeroSauce

How come Lux isn't THAT very popular? She's free this week in our region and I tried her. I usually end up getting the best KD/A, which makes me wish I went for Mejai. Her ratios average at 0.7 which is good, and the base damages are all fine. Every non-ult skill has a utility. Her ult has high AoE damage on a ridiculously low cooldown that lets me cast two ults per team fight. Laning isn't shabby and can be a bully if played aggressive. I don't know if I'm gonna buy Lux or Lulu next anymore. She feels like a much better AP Ezreal.

Yeah, this. I've played one game before where the guy asked me to be support Blitz. His CSing was just terrible even though he wasn't getting harassed. He couldn't really even take advantage of my grabs. I got fed up and starting CSing when mid-game started, but it was too late.

She requires high skill and placement whereas you can get similar results with easier champions like Ryze, Ahri, Morg etc.

kiunchbb

www.dictionary.com
How come Lux isn't THAT very popular? She's free this week in our region and I tried her. I usually end up getting the best KD/A, which makes me wish I went for Mejai. Her ratios average at 0.7 which is good, and the base damages are all fine. Every non-ult skill has a utility. .

Her end game isn't that good. If you think of all the high tier ap: swain, ahri, cass, karthus, etc..., all of them can deal constant damage instead of the crappy nuke->wait 7 seconds-> nuke again.

In end game, everyone had too much health that nuking champion doesn't work that well anymore. Unless their AD is horrible and keep standing out of position, I don't really like Lux's end game, that shield is amazing tho.

Plus in the era of gap closer, and super fast jungle with amazing cc, her escape/survival is not reliable enough.

Complex Shadow

Cudi Lame™
Her end game isn't that good. If you think of all the high tier ap: swain, ahri, cass, karthus, etc..., all of them can deal constant damage instead of the crappy nuke->wait 7 seconds-> nuke again.

In end game, everyone had too much health that nuking champion doesn't work that well anymore. Unless their AD is horrible and keep standing out of position, I don't really like Lux's end game, that shield is amazing tho.

Plus in the era of gap closer, and super fast jungle with amazing cc, her escape/survival is not reliable enough.

shes great if you need some one for team fights in end game. just use her ulti to initiate/scatter team fights. then E to slow their regroup and Q to stun and W when your team goes in and by the time all thats done pop your ulit again. but yea she has no dmg output late game, she plateaus hard.

Blizzard

Banned
There are over 100 champions? How am I going to collect them all at this rate? When will it all end? Will it ever slow down? D:

*edit* Also, champion 101 appears to be a
naked plantrobotlady

zkylon

zkylewd
Lux is all skillshots. To me that makes her a lot of fun but it's easy to suck with her, so I can see how that would chase people away.

And yeah, her end game isn't great (damage wise), but I almost always win my lane with her and she's great for ganking so mid game I can really help the team get the advantage. Her CC never stops being useful too :D

I played against a jungler Lux last night and it was pretty crazy. Might try it some day.

EXGN

Xin rework coming soon! I get to be as mysterious as the dark side of the moon once again!

Any pure skillshot champ will always see less uptake then target skill champs. It's a matter of consistency - kinda like how Ziggs and Karthus are somewhat comparable in terms of damage/CC/global ults, but Karthus sees way more play than Ziggs because so much of his skillset is easier to pull off.

Dai Kaiju

So I just started playing this a few days ago. I've spent a lot of time reading up on the dos and don't not to mention all the terminology. I've only been playing bots so far and I'm only level 5. I don't feel confident enough to do pvp yet but id still like a bigger selection of champions to try out. Which of the 3 character bundles up right now would be the best way to go? One of them comes with some runes which o wouldn't be able to use until later, but from what I've read ill need them eventually

garath

So I just started playing this a few days ago. I've spent a lot of time reading up on the dos and don't not to mention all the terminology. I've only been playing bots so far and I'm only level 5. I don't feel confident enough to do pvp yet but id still like a bigger selection of champions to try out. Which of the 3 character bundles up right now would be the best way to go? One of them comes with some runes which o wouldn't be able to use until later, but from what I've read ill need them eventually

Few things:

- don't be afraid to jump into pvp. The matchmaking is decent at low levels unless you get a smurf. Even then it's all good. It's a learning experience.
- Don't get the bundle with the runes imo. The runes aren't great. If I remember there is a bundle that has some rp with it, that might not be bad. By the time I bought a champion bundle I already owned a few champs so I went with the one that gave me all new champions. I got the one with Ashe, Karthus, Kassadin, Katarina, etc. It was a good buy. I use a lot of them.

XeroSauce

I'd really suggest agianst the champ bundles because they are a huge investment for champion that you may not play/may not be good at/may not like.

My suggestion is to try the free week champs, pick up the 450 IP champs, and just buy whoever you feel looks interesting. Watch videos on skills of that champ or read gudies if you don't want to waste IP, that'll give you a good look at what the champ plays like.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
You get the most out of the cheapest one: http://leagueoflegends.wikia.com/wiki/Champions_Bundle

Most people in low levels won't have many champions and you shouldn't really worry about PvP matchmaking, as there is always an influx of new players around the same skill level.

Blizzard

Banned
They 'want to change her W' from what I've heard.
I thought they already did, twice. I thought it was something like making her appear in front of champions instead of behind them unless W was active, then reverting it since I guess it was confusing and not very useful.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom