• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

League of Legends |OT2| So free, it's only 8000 USD!

Status
Not open for further replies.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
Zone people with the ball. Bait people so you can hit them with the ball as you retreat in lane. She is getting buffed or she already was so this is easier to do now.
She got nerfed on damage. You can't zone people with the ball when they can trade on you going in to range to use it.

I heard Orianna is a pretty good support right now. I wish I had her to try it.

XeroSauce

I feel like Ori got nerfed this patch because they removed ratios on her Q and decreases the speed of it. I don't she why they couldn't just give her 0.2 on her W without removing it from her Q, that made no sense.

Pancakes

hot, steaming, as melted butter slips into the cracks, drizzled with sticky sweet syrup OH GOD
Double jungle, mid Kayle, hilarious well mannered game.

GpmA4.png

dimb

I know about the reduced range. That's why I said to bait them.
Bait them into doing more damage to you than you can do to them? Ori trades much better at closer ranges now thanks to her shield and auto-attack. Trying to poke people down doesn't really seem ideal.

You bait them into moving closer and hit them with the ball while staying out of range.

I do it all the time and it works pretty well. Even if you miss the first time it's easier the second time because the ball is on the field and it's closer to them.

If you do it right you don't take any damage.

Blizzard

Banned
After ARAM games and watching EVO, I figured I would do a quick 20 minute bot game to get the win of the day IP.

Instead I got a 42 minute bot game in which one or two people were apparently cursing in Spanish, someone tried to surrender, our team got aced once, and once the rest of my team got quadrakilled by bot warwick while I was across the map. >.>

I was trying to play Jayce which should mean I would be able to backdoor, but the bots push so quickly that late game amumu/warwick/annie/zilean meant I couldn't really roam safely or get close without getting hard CC'd. I guess we're lucky we even won, lol.

zkylon

zkylewd
After ARAM games and watching EVO, I figured I would do a quick 20 minute bot game to get the win of the day IP.

Instead I got a 42 minute bot game in which one or two people were apparently cursing in Spanish, someone tried to surrender, our team got aced once, and once the rest of my team got quadrakilled by bot warwick while I was across the map. >.>

I was trying to play Jayce which should mean I would be able to backdoor, but the bots push so quickly that late game amumu/warwick/annie/zilean meant I couldn't really roam safely or get close without getting hard CC'd. I guess we're lucky we even won, lol.
There's no shame about throwing matches against bots. I got owned by a fed Renekton bot a bunch of times myself and I'm still proud and standing :D

Koomaster

Bot matches can spiral out of control since the AI will give the bots items for their build at certain points. Bots don't have to earn gold like players do. So even if players aren't dying necessarily, but are derping about and drawing out the game, the bots can become dangerous.

The quickest way I have found to destroy bots is Teemo mid. Bob and weave and harass the bot back to it's base (or kill it) and push push push. I can wreck a bot match in ~15min doing that. Then again some people get mad if you go too fast in bot matches as well.

Ken

Bot matches can spiral out of control since the AI will give the bots items for their build at certain points. Bots don't have to earn gold like players do. So even if players aren't dying necessarily, but are derping about and drawing out the game, the bots can become dangerous.

The quickest way I have found to destroy bots is Teemo mid. Bob and weave and harass the bot back to it's base (or kill it) and push push push. I can wreck a bot match in ~15min doing that. Then again some people get mad if you go too fast in bot matches as well.

Why play bots? Very little transfers into real games, and I'm speaking from having played nothing but bot games for my first several months of playing LoL because I was too scared of real people.

Boken

Banned
Doubt he's playing bot games to practice properly, he's probably doing it for the win of the day. Or for trying a new champion the first time.

bot matches are fine for people who start out because it gives them a non hostile environment to pick up the basic mechanical skills. Not to mention, pre level 10 games for beginner skill levels nobody plays PvP

Blizzard

Banned
Why play bots? Very little transfers into real games, and I'm speaking from having played nothing but bot games for my first several months of playing LoL because I was too scared of real people.

Doubt he's playing bot games to practice properly, he's probably doing it for the win of the day. Or for trying a new champion the first time.

bot matches are fine for people who start out because it gives them a non hostile environment to pick up the basic mechanical skills. Not to mention, pre level 10 games for beginner skill levels nobody plays PvP

Precisely. Even the wise and mighty Boken plays quick bot matches when they only have 20 minutes of time to play in the day and they don't want to waste the win-of-the-day IP boost.

Otherwise, if I play a bunch of 40 minutes PVP games, it might take 3+ hours to get a win if I'm on a losing streak. 20 minutes is better than 3 hours in my book.

dimb

I don't play the game for IP. I play the game to have fun. I cannot think of many times where I don't get my win of the day if I play like two or three games.

Wrekt

That's why you play dominion, bro

Wrong. A single person can win a match against bots in SR. Dominion bots backdoor every node and your pugs will roam around the map in a zerg ball 100% of the time. You can win a SR in the same amount of time as a Dominion match by choosing a strong AA champ with a steroid and just pushing nonstop.

This IP system is ridiculous. I'm enjoying the game quite alot, but the fact that everything is paid for and most of it is expensive as fuck pretty much means I'll completely abandon the game as soon as DotA 2 comes out, lol. Fun game, ridiculous cost, considering you're underpowered as you start. One of the most broken systems ever.

As soon as DotA 2 comes out I believe that if Riot doesn't change that, LoL will just completely fade away in no time.

One is pure F2P. The other one is F2P-ish, as it forces you to either spend ridiculous amounts of time or money just to be able to be at the same level as everyone else.

Q8D3vil

This IP system is ridiculous. I'm enjoying the game quite alot, but the fact that everything is paid for and most of it is expensive as fuck pretty much means I'll completely abandon the game as soon as DotA 2 comes out, lol. Fun game, ridiculous cost, considering you're underpowered as you start. One of the most broken systems ever.

As soon as DotA 2 comes out I believe that if Riot doesn't change that, LoL will just completely fade away in no time.

One is pure F2P. The other one is F2P-ish, as it forces you to either spend ridiculous amounts of time or money just to be able to be at the same level as everyone else.

you cant buy runes with rp.

you cant buy runes with rp.

The existence of runes is in itself absurd if they aren't available to everyone from the start. This is a PvP game, people just starting out need to be just as well equipped as seasoned veterans in order for it to work. Having different equipment is ok, as long as it's not "better". In LoL, older more seasoned players are better equipped than newcomers. And that's unacceptable, in a PvP centered game.

That said, the game itself IS pretty cool and fun.

Achtius

that's why you can't do rank games until level 30.

And people of low level are usually match people with similar level (unless you duo queue with a level 30 when you are level 1)

Pancakes

hot, steaming, as melted butter slips into the cracks, drizzled with sticky sweet syrup OH GOD
He said time or money, and you can buy rune pages with RP as well as a wider champion selection.

Exactly. While you can't technically buy power in League of Legends, you need a wide array of rune pages to play the game competitively. I do (somewhat) agree with what the original poster said though. LoL is pretty anti-consumer when it comes to the IP system but on the other hand, some of the best champions in the game are 1350ip or less which takes roughly a day of playing to acquire.

The rune pages though are complete nonsense. It takes 6300ip for a single page, you only start out with 2 pages while there are 5 actual roles you could play in the game.

I think Riot will either have a large price drop, or they will do a global ip increase per game once DOTA2 comes out. But there is no way they will ever go the complete F2P route, the current model is just too profitable.

Q8D3vil

The existence of runes is in itself absurd if they aren't available to everyone from the start. This is a PvP game, people just starting out need to be just as well equipped as seasoned veterans in order for it to work. Having different equipment is ok, as long as it's not "better". In LoL, older more seasoned players are better equipped than newcomers. And that's unacceptable, in a PvP centered game.

i agree, runes ads more varieties but they cause some indirect imbalance.
the game would have been so much better if it was masteries only.

Riot will probably not do anything before they notice huge number drop in their user base which is something that might happen but i have my doubt since dota2 learning curve is much much higher.

XeroSauce

Exactly. While you can't technically buy power in League of Legends, you need a wide array of rune pages to play the game competitively. I do (somewhat) agree with what the original poster said though. LoL is pretty anti-consumer when it comes to the IP system but on the other hand, some of the best champions in the game are 1350ip or less which takes roughly a day of playing to acquire.

The rune pages though are complete nonsense. It takes 6300ip for a single page, you only start out with 2 pages while there are 5 actual roles you could play in the game.

I think Riot will either have a large price drop, or they will do a global ip increase per game once DOTA2 comes out. But there is no way they will ever go the complete F2P route, the current model is just too profitable.

Some top ELO players like TeddyRo only use 2 pages. It's possible, just not optimal.

I do not disagree that the Valve pricing structure is much better for a free to play game, but LoL has become this big on their model before Dota 2 arrived, which is why it worked.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook

There's matchmaking so you won't get matched up against people with full run pages when you just start out. They just do MM behind the scenes without really showing you.

I am against a lot of this though. I've stated this before. The biggest thing is not having a fully unlocked champ roster in a vacuum means the game can't be balanced for competitive play. I don't believe that's really why most people lose though.

LoLGaf, please help me. How the fuck do I deal with Lee Sin's mobility, I feel as though I can do nothing against him if he counter jungles me. Even if I catch him he just ward dashes away. Playing Noc btw.

EXGN

You don't need every character to be good or even competitive (and in fact, I'd say most League players got good by truly learning the in's and out's of only a handful of characters - Dyrus/Singed, Hotshot/Nidalee, Westrice/Akali, etc.) Even at a competitive level, only like 3/4s of the characters are used.

As someone who has been playing for upward of two years, I've never felt hindered by the lack of access to characters, runes or rune pages. If I lose, it's because I screwed up. I only feel ripped off when I think like you that I'll never be able to have all the characters without spending RP.

What's more, the champion rotation (IMO) make the game more inviting to newcomers because it doesn't overwhelm them with 100 characters. I know I have friends that would dump hours into Street Fighter but won't touch MvC2 because of the size of the character roster.

Ken

LoLGaf, please help me. How the fuck do I deal with Lee Sin's mobility, I feel as though I can do nothing against him if he counter jungles me. Even if I catch him he just ward dashes away. Playing Noc btw.

Lee Sin basically has Flash every time his W is off cooldown and he has a ward so don't bother catching him unless you can get your lanes to cut him off. My only advice would be to ward your (and his) jungle and when you see him, either coordinate something with your teammates quickly, go counter jungling his jungle, or gank while he's busy kicking your wraiths. If you see him without wards though and very far away from teammates, you might have a chance to catch him.

zkylon

zkylewd
You don't need every character to be good or even competitive (and in fact, I'd say most League players got good by truly learning the in's and out's of only a handful of characters - Dyrus/Singed, Hotshot/Nidalee, Westrice/Akali, etc.) Even at a competitive level, only like 3/4s of the characters are used.

As someone who has been playing for upward of two years, I've never felt hindered by the lack of access to characters, runes or rune pages. If I lose, it's because I screwed up. I only feel ripped off when I think like you that I'll never be able to have all the characters without spending RP.

What's more, the champion rotation (IMO) make the game more inviting to newcomers because it doesn't overwhelm them with 100 characters. I know I have friends that would dump hours into Street Fighter but won't touch MvC2 because of the size of the character roster.
The rune system does suck. I was playing Annie against an Ezreal the other day, and the guy was level 30 and I wasn't and he started with almost 30 more AP than I had. It completely fucked up my laning phase because I always lost every trade. It doesn't break every single game, but it has that potential, and I feel like every match should disable every runes over the minimum level player. Same with Masteries, though those are a little more subtle.

You hope its me playing Lee Sin on the other team, then you win instantly.

EXGN

The rune system does suck. I was playing Annie against an Ezreal the other day, and the guy was level 30 and I wasn't and he started with almost 30 more AP than I had. It completely fucked up my laning phase because I always lost every trade. It doesn't break every single game, but it has that potential, and I feel like every match should disable every runes over the minimum level player. Same with Masteries, though those are a little more subtle.

Yeah, I get that. That does suck. But if you note that your opponent has that advantage, you can also play more conservatively and not try to trade until you're in a better position to fight him directly. Flash Tibbers at level 6 will kill almost any other AP, for example.

Not saying it isn't an advantage (it is), but that doesn't mean it's an auto-win. Skill is still a bigger factor than runes/masteries, IMO.

zkylon

zkylewd
Yeah, I get that. That does suck. But if you note that your opponent has that advantage, you can also play more conservatively and not try to trade until you're in a better position to fight him directly. Flash Tibbers at level 6 will kill almost any other AP, for example.

Not saying it isn't an advantage (it is), but that doesn't mean it's an auto-win. Skill is still a bigger factor than runes/masteries, IMO.
I agree and that's why I said it doesn't break every game, but it is unfair and I'd rather they removed it altogether.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom