• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

League of Legends |OT2| So free, it's only 8000 USD!

Status
Not open for further replies.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
Zyra Impressions
Played her in a test sort of way. Not really sure what to think of her but she isn't what I expected. She has a lot of range on her, particularly her Q AOE and her E root. The root is just a really long range quick CC in a line, able to hit multiple targets and not stopped by minions. It's pretty devastating because even from a long range it's pretty easy for her to flash in and land it, allowing her or teammates to follow up.

She's sort of basic in the way she operates. Her Q AOE and E root don't feel particularly interesting or unique on their own. They augment her seeds though. These seeds last a fairly long time at 30 seconds, generating flowers that do a decent amount of damage but die fairly easily. It felt really hard to keep people in place long enough for the flowers to do what they need to. This is primarily because the range of seeds is very short. It reminded me of Xerath, only more annoying. You have all of these long range attacks but to truly get a combo off you need to come in close.

Basic combo is landing the root, planting a seed or two next to the champion, and following it up with a Q. Champions can easily run away from this, but combined with her ultimate you can pick up a kill pretty easily. The area on her ultimate is massive, and like her other basic spells it has a very long range on it and the damage is pretty comparable to an Annie ult. If Zyra does jungle she has the potential to destroy champions with this even under their own tower without going in deep herself. The knockup on it feels strange, late, and underwhelming.

It'll be hard for players to effectively use Zyra. Her flowers are really strange to use effectively. Her seeds can be walked over and stomped out, but it grants vision. There is some element of play here where players will want to step on the buds before they can go off, potentially walking further into Zyra's trap, but the flowers don't really feel effective enough and Zyra herself doesn't really have the follow through. Zyra has a lot of AOE potential, but her CC feels pretty underwhelming for a champion based around holding people in one area. She will likely be someone more reliant on team comp than other champions.

Achtius

I'm this close to buying my first legendary.

which?

also look at kog's CS

1hour.png

also holy shit, I just notice Kiunch's elo is 1757

Blizzard

Banned
Yordle power, also 450+ minions for Galio.

I just got my first ranked Jayce win (coincidentally my only ranked Jayce game). Unfortunately I picked Jayce against Irelia and did badly because I was working on AD early game rather than tanky items. I could sometimes harass her from a distance, but the gap close + stun/slow meant that I would be running out of mana and wasn't able to safely autoattack to regen it.

Fortunately Jayce's abilities and GTFOhammer knockback + flash helped me survive a couple of gank attempts, and I think I only died twice. Thankfully Skarner came in a time or two to help so I finally got the turret down.

dimb

which?

also look at kog's CS

The enemy team is essentially running three champs who don't do damage. Tank Nidalee is pretty funny really. Potentially four if you want to count the fact that Galio isn't a high dps mage. I don't really know why you would ever even need CS that high really, especially with that many kills he would have had enough gold for a full build long ago. Kog was pretty dumb for not buying a GA, but that seems like it must have been a really boring game with a lot of pushing back and forth.

Ferrio

Banned
The enemy team is essentially running three champs who don't do damage. Tank Nidalee is pretty funny really. Potentially four if you want to count the fact that Galio isn't a high dps mage. I don't really know why you would ever even need CS that high really, especially with that many kills he would have had enough gold for a full build long ago. Kog was pretty dumb for not buying a GA, but that seems like it must have been a really boring game with a lot of pushing back and forth.

The game was on farm for a long time. By the second team fight no one could get close to kog really. I'd pounce on him and die before my ult would go off. Long as kog was in the back he was safe. Only reason we won is they went to baron thinking vayne backed.... and snuck in and bd'ed.

kiunchbb

www.dictionary.com
D: ! What do you mean sad?

P.S. I leveled up like mad by playing with Unknown Factors|Legato Reborn. Unfortunately, my level is still too scrub for him to play with me anymore. :<

I remember him teaching gaf how to team fight, it did turn a losing game around by positioning and some good pushing.

Sona, 6/9
Leona 2/2
Taric 2/2

I been telling people the key to pass elo hell is to play support, no one believes me.

Ahri, 10/11

Or just pick one OP waifu and keep playing her, oh Ahri <3

Pancakes

hot, steaming, as melted butter slips into the cracks, drizzled with sticky sweet syrup OH GOD
Ranked...support? It just might be crazy enough to work.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
Ranked...support? It just might be crazy enough to work.

Cough 8/9 as support, with my only lost being a Lux with a final score of 10/1/26. That game still burns.

If you want to really carry yourself out of Elo Hell. Play jungle and gank well. Cause strong lanes to collapse and weak lanes to rise. To a less extend, laners who can gank other lanes also like Aki, Ahri, etc.

Pancakes

hot, steaming, as melted butter slips into the cracks, drizzled with sticky sweet syrup OH GOD
Cough 8/9 as support, with my only lost being a Lux with a final score of 10/1/26. That game still burns.

If you want to really carry yourself out of Elo Hell. Play jungle and gank well. Cause strong lanes to collapse and weak lanes to rise. To a less extend, laners who can gank other lanes also like Aki, Ahri, etc.

I might just start ranked with Blitzcrank and focus on hooking.

I been telling people the key to pass elo hell is to play support, no one believes me.
I believe it, there are way too many people who don't play support seriously. With every other role I can generally rely on teammates to at least try to pick a viable champion and a viable build, but supports you can get so many people who are absolutely worthless to the team that taking the role myself and playing it properly is just like free wins against idiots who pick derp like support orianna and try to build like they're the carry. Free wins.

Q8D3vil

I believe it, there are way too many people who don't play support seriously. With every other role I can generally rely on teammates to at least try to pick a viable champion and a viable build, but supports you can get so many people who are absolutely worthless to the team that taking the role myself and playing it properly is just like free wins against idiots who pick derp like support orianna and try to build like they're the carry. Free wins.
pretty much.
hate support lux/sona who start with fucking dorans

Achtius

were u playing against me when i did that :p

EXGN

Speaking of support at low Elos...

Just won a game where I was 3rd pick, asked if people wanted me to support or carry. No one answered, so I picked Graves. 5th pick goes ahead and takes Miss Fortune...

We got lucky bot was not a sustain lane and Ez took Doran's first.

dimb

Today seems like a good day to play support Fiddlesticks.

LCGeek

formerly sane

I don't think it was that boring outside of the time that they got baron and we stayed out of their nexus area not to throw the game. Ferrio was right about the farming but I made some dumb calls and finally got one to take when they made a few stupid move themselves. Two times baron fucked them and we made them pay. The last baron mistake it was just me and janna coming in from the jungle nearby and getting an inhib and then the nexus I think. Knew they would do it whole team was about aggression and smart cc. They couldn't get towers worth a fuck.

were u playing against me when i did that :p

Nah that was an example from a streamed game at 2400 elo on NA. 2400 elo and you still can't get reliable support. Sigh.

I was also watching Scarra play solo queue on the Korean severs and he's been pointing out how the biggest difference is how much better the support players are compared to NA and how often they do game changing plays. They don't have the attitude that the support role is unimportant and it really shows.

Unicorn

I'm so happy Kog'Maw is free this week since I really wanted to try him out.

I'm in love.

Won the two games I have played with him, with a positive KDR and pretty much carried the team in a lot of aspects.

Though, it did seem both teams I played against were AWFUL and seemed to just FEEEEED.

Pancakes

I'm so happy Kog'Maw is free this week since I really wanted to try him out.

I'm in love.

Won the two games I have played with him, with a positive KDR and pretty much carried the team in a lot of aspects.

Though, it did seem both teams I played against were AWFUL and seemed to just FEEEEED.

There is nothing scarier than a fed Kog'Maw with a nunu support, everything just dies :(.

Unicorn

It wouldn't be as big of a deal if the people that picked Teemo knew anything about team comp or counters.
How do I learn this stuff? There's so many champions and I only touch base with the game every so often, so I'm not able to keep up.
Also, some terminology through me off, like people asking if I'm AB or AP. What is the difference and what are they really asking about? Gear builds?

Ferrio

Banned
How do I learn this stuff? There's so many champions and I only touch base with the game every so often, so I'm not able to keep up.
Also, some terminology through me off, like people asking if I'm AB or AP. What is the difference and what are they really asking about? Gear builds?

Asking if you're AD or AP is asking if you're character builds off attack damage (AD) or ability power (AP).

Usually AD champions do mostly physical damage and armor is used to mitigate it. Usually AP champions do mostly magic damage and magic resist is used to mitigate it.

There are exceptions to the rule. Like Shyvanna's W scales off of physical damage (more physical damage the more damage it does) But it does magical damage. Most of these heros like that are called hybrid.

If your tooltip for a skill has a green +# it scales off of AP, if it's orange it scales off of AD.

dimb

How do I learn this stuff?
It's really just something you pick up playing. Think about who is going to do damage in your team and who can tank. Get a feel for how lane matchups work against you with champions you like. If you aren't familiar with champions you can always click on their portrait. Most people usually play the same pool of champions anyways though, so I don't really feel like you need to learn them all. If you are still low level stuff is kind of weird though. It is probably more helpful to focus more on building strong mechanics like last hitting and where to be on the map while getting a feel for different champions.
People are probably asking if you are going AP or "AD" maybe it was a typo on their part, I dunno. AD is attack damage. AP is ability power.

zkylon

zkylewd
I like Sona and she's pretty fun and dynamic, but as a whole, the support role is just the most boring role for me. I'll also never play support if I'm playing with a random AD carry. Most of the times the disconnection that comes from not being in voice chat makes being support a guessing game for whenever your Ezreal feels like tower diving with 10% health. Probably applies to junglers too, but I don't play that role either :p

I'll gladly roll Sona if playing with friendlies tho :)

Also, been watching some of my replays and I suck bad at snaring with Lux lol. I mean, I get a lot of them right but I miss just as many if not more. Been doing 100% smartcasting for a few days now and you do get used to it pretty easily.

You learn simply from experience and reading a couple guides. Play a lot and you'll pick up where to ward, when to Baron, counter-jungling, situational items, etc.

It's a good idea to try at least one new champion from the free rotation so you get an idea of how she plays and you broaden up your horizons. It really helps then to fight against a champion you've played with because you know her strengths, weaknesses, cooldowns, etc.

By the way if you're ever stuck on a term check here: http://leagueoflegends.wikia.com/wiki/League_of_Legends_terminology.

Unicorn

Thanks for the replies. So with Kog'maw what gear should I be getting? I was grabbing mostly the suggested items and later getting life steal, forgoing any defense since he seemed super squishy anyway. Late game I might grab a bit of Armor, maybe.

My friend once linked me to a build site with various user submitted builds, is that a good thing to follow since I'm still learning where I need to be on the map? I anyone know of that site i forgot.

Ferrio

Banned
There's one thing that's always irked me about the AD and AP terminology.

An AD or AP champ is just an indication of how you build the champion AP or AD.

Yet the way most people use it is as an indication of what the majority damage type that hero does.

So when people say "We need an AP champ." they really mean "We need a champion that does mostly magical damage" and not "We need a champion that can scale off ability power".

Thanks for the replies. So with Kog'maw what gear should I be getting? I was grabbing mostly the suggested items and later getting life steal, forgoing any defense since he seemed super squishy anyway. Late game I might grab a bit of Armor, maybe.

My friend once linked me to a build site with various user submitted builds, is that a good thing to follow since I'm still learning where I need to be on the map? I anyone know of that site i forgot.

Attack damage attack damage attack damage. Kogmog is considered an AD carry (ie most his damage comes from auto attacking). So you should build the usually Beserker boots, Infinity Edge, Bloodthirster, Phantom dancer etc. Though I'm not a kog expert so I don't know if there's other non standard stuff you should buy.

Also there's only 3 defense items you should ever buy on an AD carry. Guardian Angel. Banshee's Veil. Quicksilver sash.

Outside of that ignore any defense items and go damage.

dimb

Start boots with three pots. Build one or two Doran's Blades. Finish your boots early. Get Infinity Edge as your first big item. Grab a Vampiric Scepter but don't upgrade it. Build a Phantom Dancer. After that it's pretty situational. Sell Doran's as needed for slots. Last Whisper against enemies with more armor. Bloodthirster if you see the game going on for long and you getting lots more farm. Quicksilver Sash if you need to escape hard stuns. Guardian's Angel if you are worried about getting focused down.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
High mobility mixed with some kiting, I think.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom