• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

League of Legends |OT2| So free, it's only 8000 USD!

Status
Not open for further replies.

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
I figured since, yeah, you should be keeping wards up (rather than bitching about the lack of wards).

More I think about it, I tend to get ganked the most in top lane when I'm blue team so it may just be the whole "get red buff, look lane is there!" rather than them actively choosing to gank it. Oh well. Not even ranked yet so I just assume people being bad.

Honestly, the best way to play top is to play Jungle and know jungle match ups. If you're on the left hand side and you're going against a Lee Sin jungle, then be prepared for a gank if you're pushed at lvl 2. Three things you need to know when playing top. 1.) Know the jungle champion of your opponents and their clearing routes. 2.) Know when they finish stuff for jungling cuz you can predict gank timings. 3.) this one is obvious but see when they pop up on the mini-map cuz this will help you to know when to push etc.

FUUUU EDIT: Sorry for the double post.

scy

There are champions that just roflstomp in low elo because people are just dumb. Fiora is one of them. However, she's not that great of a champ oddly, imo. Akali is another stomper. Singed is another. Someone should just make a list of champions that just stomp and at what stage of the game.

A lot of top bruisers fit the bill. I'm hoping new Eve to be the same if only for the hilarity of it.

Honestly, the best way to play top is to play Jungle and know jungle match ups. If you're on the left hand side and you're going against a Lee Sin jungle, then be prepared for a gank if you're pushed at lvl 2. Three things you need to know when playing top. 1.) Know the jungle champion of your opponents and their clearing routes. 2.) Know when they finish stuff for jungling cuz you can predict gank timings. 3.) this one is obvious but see when they pop up on the mini-map cuz this will help you to know when to push etc.

Basically. I have a decent grasp of which junglers may just red -> top gank so I know to be wary at low levels. Other than that, I just try to not push the lane up unless I know where the jungler is or if I'm pushing the lane so I can back without losing much. Or, well, I have river/bush warded and know how safe I am.

EXGN

Did you try and play as an AD carry and harass using stealth? Cuz I thought his kid would make him pretty viable as an AD carry along the lines of Varus. I haven't tried it so I don't know though...

Yeah, I played him as a traditional AD carry, built as followed:

IGU2e.png

He's a bit more competitive now, I just think he still has a lot of the same problems as before. He dishes a ton of damage, but most bot lanes are played incredibly agressive these days. He's still a really easy target for Taric/Alistar/Blitz/Leona kill lanes and the changes to his kit don't really help that (outside of the +50 range and the slight bump to his base stats).

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death

Coincidentally, your avatar aptly fits my expression. lolol

Yeah, I played him as a traditional AD carry, built as followed:

IGU2e.png

He's a bit more competitive now, I just think he still has a lot of the same problems as before. He dishes a ton of damage, but most bot lanes are played incredibly agressive these days. He's still a really easy target for Taric/Alistar/Blitz/Leona kill lanes and the changes to his kit don't really help that (outside of the +50 range and the slight bump to his base stats).

Well, now I'm wondering more on the viability during team fights. Honesty, Twitch isn't any more squishy than Kog and aggressive support is really irrelevant to me as of now.

EXGN

Coincidentally, your avatar aptly fits my expression. lolol

Well, now I'm wondering more on the viability during team fights. Honesty, Twitch isn't any more squishy than Kog and aggressive support is really irrelevant to me as of now.

Twitch has always been a monster team fighter because of his ultimate. However, they nerfed it a tad by making it do less damage for the subsequent targets. Expunge does more damage though, and its also easier to hit multiple targets because the missile speed is faster.

Kog is a pretty good comparison to Twitch earlier game, except he can be played much safer (much longer range on W and can last hit with R).

erragal

It might just be that I really enjoy playing AP and Support characters but I find myself preferring ADAM (Draft all mid on proving grounds) to ARAM. Can make for some really tense games.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
So HoN is now going straight free champs across the board starting I guess tomorrow. Some speculate this is to fend off the heat of being being LoL and all the buzz around DOTA2.

The question is with LoL being the outlier in regards to having to pay for new champs either through RP or IP will this really effect anything? Does this put pressure on Riot to unlock all of their champs for free? Will this change anyone's mind here about wanting to play LoL over other MOBA games?

scy

So HoN is now going straight free champs across the board starting I guess tomorrow. Some speculate this is to fend off the heat of being being LoL and all the buzz around DOTA2.

The question is with LoL being the outlier in regards to having to pay for new champs either through RP or IP will this really effect anything? Does this put pressure on Riot to unlock all of their champs for free? Will this change anyone's mind here about wanting to play LoL over other MOBA games?

Maybe Riot will do a price reduction across the board. Maybe.

Hm ... and I was about to buy Ahri ...

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world

I don't play games for their business models. I play League because I like it more than the other games, and the champion buying isn't enough of an impediment for me to not play. Riot isn't really in a position where they need to change their policy because players aren't interested in the competition right now or for the foreseeable future.

Also I've always had every HoN champion unlocked so nothing really changes.

zkylon

zkylewd
Maybe Riot will do a price reduction across the board. Maybe.

Hm ... and I was about to buy Ahri ...
That'd be nice. I actually find having all the champions right away a little daunting, and saving up money to buy stuff has a nice progression thing that I like, even if I know it's dumb. More sensible prices would be a good thing, though, since everything, from champs to skins to runes, is overpriced in LoL.

Pancakes

hot, steaming, as melted butter slips into the cracks, drizzled with sticky sweet syrup OH GOD
I don't play games for their business models. I play League because I like it more than the other games, and the champion buying isn't enough of an impediment for me to not play. Riot isn't really in a position where they need to change their policy because players aren't interested in the competition right now or for the foreseeable future.

My thoughts basically. Riot isn't going to try to fix what isn't broken. Maybe if they start seeing players leaving because of DOTA2 they'll reduce some champion prices or perhaps a permanent IP increase but we'll just have to wait and see.

drkOne

I convinced most of my friends to play Dota 2 by telling them it has been getting at least a new hero every week and that they were all free. "So it's like new content every week and I don't have to grind/pay for it, yeah, I'll switch"

I don't think it'll change much for old players, but it will for newcomers who are just looking to start playing one of them.

They should unlock all of the champs because it'd make the game better for everyone, not because the competition is doing it.

My bet? They won't care. The LoL ecosystem is already set in stone, no matter how anti-consumer it is, and those who are part of it don't seem to mind, so why change anyway?

FoxSpirit

That'd be nice. I actually find having all the champions right away a little daunting, and saving up money to buy stuff has a nice progression thing that I like, even if I know it's dumb. More sensible prices would be a good thing, though, since everything, from champs to skins to runes, is overpriced in LoL.
Imagine no runes to buy and all champions unlocked from level 1. The tribunal would be pretty toothless, there is nothing on the line for a lot of people then.

zkylon

zkylewd
So got my hard earned 6300 IP at last.

My options:
  • Rune page for Akali: is this really necessary? My early game is always weak but I usually pick it up in mid game, but since we always lose when I play with Akali, I get the feeling I drag the team down, even if I'm not necessarily doing bad (as in, I should do better). Maybe with the new rune page I could get that edge, I dunno. It's still another few thousand IP for the AD runes, too, and Akali in blind pick feels a little like a lottery game.
  • Ahri: Foxfire + love champs with good mobility + love her charm and skillshot gameplay. Bad thing is that she's expensive as hell (basically 6300 + 10 dollars for the skin, because I know I won't be able to help myself lol)
  • LeBlanc and a second champ/have more than 1000 IP for more than a day: I feel like LeBlancs always win their lane, so that sounds like something I should be getting my teeth into. She's hard to master, I gather, but I believe she fits into my heavy-harass game-mentality. The fact that she's cheaper is also a good thing, since IP don't come easily for me.

Can't decide, but I'm leaning towards Ahri, since she seems easier than Akali and LeBlanc. I'm also considering buying Akali's rune page with RP, but I dunno, I've been taught never to buy stuff with real money if I could get it with in-game currency.

FoxSpirit

My options:
  • Rune page for Akali: is this really necessary? My early game is always weak but I usually pick it up in mid game, but since we always lose when I play with Akali, I get the feeling I drag the team down, even if I'm not necessarily doing bad (as in, I should do better). Maybe with the new rune page I could get that edge, I dunno. It's still another few thousand IP for the AD runes, too, and Akali in blind pick feels a little like a lottery game.
  • Ahri: Foxfire + love champs with good mobility + love her charm and skillshot gameplay. Bad thing is that she's expensive as hell (basically 6300 + 10 dollars for the skin, because I know I won't be able to help myself lol)
  • LeBlanc and a second champ/have more than 1000 IP for more than a day: I feel like LeBlancs always win their lane, so that sounds like something I should be getting my teeth into. She's hard to master, I gather, but I believe she fits into my heavy-harass game-mentality. The fact that she's cheaper is also a good thing, since IP don't come easily for me.

Can't decide, but I'm leaning towards Ahri, since she seems easier than Akali and LeBlanc. I'm also considering buying Akali's rune page with RP, but I dunno, I've been taught never to buy stuff with real money if I could get it with in-game currency.
Unless you play a lot, life in LoL will be sad like this. My friend also reprimanded me for buying stuff but getting 1-2 heroes on sale each month is hardly getting robbed. Plus I have around 200 games played, he has over 3000.
Sorry, buying a 6300IP once every two month and never having IP for runes is simply not for me. I work, I like to play the game, nothing wrong with 5 bucks a month. Plus later on when I have all rune pages and stuff I can go back to not spending a dime.

garath

It won't affect LoL for now. When you're at the top, you don't have to change your business model to catch up. You keep going until you see people moving to the competition then you make a small change to get them all coming back.

My options:

I bought one 6300IP champ when I first started. Irelia. Then when I realized I really liked the game and looked at how much runes cost when I was going to get to level 20, I stopped spending IP on champs (except for the cheap 480 or even the rare 1350) and I saved it all for runes. I buy champs with rp when they are on sale. $4 once in awhile is a small price to pay for a game I really like. You can buy ~15 champions on sale before you even hit the $60 mark other games cost (and you won't get nearly as much playtime out of).

If you aren't level 20, don't buy runes. If you are, get the Akali rune page. It helps. You need to snowball with Akali. Start out strong and finish strong.

It won't kill you to buy one champ with IP if you are still on the fence about the game. Ahri and LeBlanc both have a pretty high skill cap. Ahri is all skill shots and LeBlanc is fairly straightforward but takes some getting used to. LeBlanc will be an early game pub stomper. I won many many games with her. Still one of my favorite champions but it's so difficult to farm with her.

Unless you play a lot, life in LoL will be sad like this. My friend also reprimanded me for buying stuff but getting 1-2 heroes on sale each month is hardly getting robbed. Plus I have around 200 games played, he has over 3000.
Sorry, buying a 6300IP once every two month and never having IP for runes is simply not for me. I work, I like to play the game, nothing wrong with 5 bucks a month. Plus later on when I have all rune pages and stuff I can go back to not spending a dime.

Exactly my reasonings as well. I work, have a family. I don't play tons of games. I have ~300 or so under my belt. I have a LOT more fun by spending a little money on the game. And I'm now at the point where I have all the champions I want and I have most of the runes I want. Just need rune PAGES.

My options:

If you do not have all or most of the 450 / 1350 IP champs, start with those before gambling on 6300s, because you need a better roster more than you need specific champions, and as you said, you're not just sitting on a pile of IP.

As for buying rune pages and spending real money, the best thing you can get is the 2600 RP 7-page bundle. It seems like a lot but if you're considering buying a skin full price, this is infinitely more worth it. I'd hold off on buying rune pages (and especially champion-specific rune pages) until you feel like you can justify buying that bundle.

falastini

I'm also coming up on 6300, and no idea what to get.

I was thinking of adding a champ in roles I'm light on, but I seem to do so much better jungling then anything else. I'm wondering if I should just grab another one (in 20 ranked games I'm 8-0 jungling, 4-8 other stuff.. lol).

What I'm comfortable and like playing:

Top - Fiora >>>>>>>> Cho
Mid - Viktor >> Morg=Cho >> Fizz
Jungle - Skarner=Mundo > Cho
Adc - Ashe > MF > Tris
Support - Janna=Taric=Morg > Ali (I fuck up his combo too much) >> Leona

I think I need to work on Top the most so I'm looking for some champs for that. Mundo and Fizz are supposed to be capable up there but I never really tried them out. Fiora is too situational to pick. You need a tanky team to support her.

Thinking Lee Sin since he's OP jungle and top, but I have no experience. Riven is another option as she seems strong, and I played her a bit on free week. Oh and Yorik seems interesting, but I never tried him. I like playing obscure champs though.

garath

If you do not have all or most of the 450 / 1350 IP champs, start with those before gambling on 6300s, because you need a better roster more than you need specific champions, and as you said, you're not just sitting on a pile of IP.

As for buying rune pages and spending real money, the best thing you can get is the 2600 RP 7-page bundle. It seems like a lot but if you're considering buying a skin full price, this is infinitely more worth it. I'd hold off on buying rune pages (and especially champion-specific rune pages) until you feel like you can justify buying that bundle.

Good advice there. Until you decide to start playing ranked, 2-3 rune pages is enough to get by.

I'm also coming up on 6300, and no idea what to get.

I was thinking of adding a champ in roles I'm light on, but I seem to do so much better jungling then anything else. I'm wondering if I should just grab another one (in 20 ranked games I'm 8-0 jungling, 4-8 other stuff.. lol).

What I'm comfortable and like playing:

Top - Fiora >>>>>>>> Cho
Mid - Viktor >> Morg=Cho >> Fizz
Jungle - Skarner=Mundo > Cho
Adc - Ashe > MF > Tris
Support - Janna=Taric=Morg > Ali (I fuck up his combo too much) >> Leona

I think I need to work on Top the most so I'm looking for some champs for that. Mundo and Fizz are supposed to be capable up there but I never really tried them out. Fiora is too situational to pick. You need a tanky team to support her.

Thinking Lee Sin since he's OP jungle and top, but I have no experience. Riven is another option as she seems strong, and I played her a bit on free week. Oh and Yorik seems interesting, but I never tried him. I like playing obscure champs though.

Lee Sin is very potent top and jungle. Riven as well. I'd go with either one of those. Vlad is also a strong top if you want something you can play mid as well. If you want to go obscure you can look at Rumble perhaps (though he's a lot less obscure than he used to be). He can jungle and top.

scy

Between Lee Sin and Riven, I'd say Riven is ultimately better top lane than Lee due to her presence throughout the game whereas Lee Sin falls off if he doesn't get really ahead. Jungle wise, Lee Sin has the better kit for it and the better ganks, though Riven has the amazing red buff -> Level 2 ganks to solidify an early lead for a lane.

...but neither of them are really obscure :x I'd consider potentially cheaper champs like the new Xin or Eve, though you may want to wait to see how they pan out. Rumble, Kennan, Fizz, Vlad are all non-AD tops so those are at least different as well. The only real obscure tops are the ones that are rarely played due to them not being all that great (e.g., Gangplank) or super situational (e.g., Yorick).

I'm in the same spot. I have ~7000 IP and was planning on picking up Ahri but I keep expecting her to go on sale since ... she hasn't been on sale for like 4 months. This way I can get her for cheap RP (+skin because I'm weak) and spend my IP on multiple champs.

XeroSauce

Screw the haters Ahri is fun as hell

But if you are going to get rune pages, drop the 2600 IP and get the bundle, trust me, I was skeptical as you, and I asked this thread many times, but now I can't function without my specific runepages and I want even more.

falastini

...but neither of them are really obscure :x I'd consider potentially cheaper champs like the new Xin or Eve, though you may want to wait to see how they pan out. Rumble, Kennan, Fizz, Vlad are all non-AD tops so those are at least different as well. The only real obscure tops are the ones that are rarely played due to them not being all that great (e.g., Gangplank) or super situational (

Yeah Lee and Riven are picked/banned a lot.
I already own Xin and Fizz. Haven't tried new Xin yet and the few times i tried Fizz top it didnt go that well.

I should probably look at the cheaper champs as well. I don't have Jax but his kit reminds me of a tanky Fiora. Kass is only 3k ip. He isn't Top, but I should prob get him for his OPness.

yup, countering 90% of top is situational.

yorick is top 3 top lane champion right now.

Is he? Maybe I should get him then. I never see him played, and he would bolster my options Top.

scy

yup, countering 90% of top is situational.

yorick is top 3 top lane champion right now.

I almost never see Yorick used or mentioned unless it's a lane swap so he can 2v1 bot (which then tends to lane swap to top anyway since it's obviously going to happen). He's a pain to deal with in lane due to his harass but a lot of the current meta for top are just good vs Yorick or ultimately better than him late game.

He does destroy players who make bad calls though so I suppose that's an extra bonus. Beating him in lane requires playing differently than vs most other tops.

I should probably look at the cheaper champs as well. I don't have Jax but his kit reminds me of a tanky Fiora. Kass is only 3k ip. He isn't Top, but I should prob get him for his OPness.

Kass is pretty easy to counter in lane. His one glaring weakness to his otherwise really good late game :(

Edit: On that note, not sure how his new ult scaling works for him yet. I haven't done any math on it.

FoxSpirit

Kass is pretty easy to counter in lane. His one glaring weakness to his otherwise really good late game :(

Edit: On that note, not sure how his new ult scaling works for him yet. I haven't done any math on it.
Huh?? Don't you rather mean "hard to play properly" like mid Fizz??

Q8D3vil

Is he? Maybe I should get him then. I never see him played, and he would bolster my options Top.
yorick
-insane sustain with E
-Escape and insane damage with Q
-Slow (100% AP) slow with W
-Can copy himself + 10 second revive with R
-If you didnt feed and got manamune and Trinity on him you will destroy in the late game.
his weakness is gap closer and silence like chogath/renekton.

he cant carry a team by himself but if botlane is getting even or fed then he can just copy the carry revive him when he die.
im expecting yorick nerfs in the future now that he is getting picked in tournaments.

garath

Kassadin is mostly countered by ranged AD midlane. He counters most AP champions with his passive and silence. And once he hits level 6 his opponent is in for a rough time. You riftwalk in, Q, E and walk away. Repeat every 9 seconds. An AP champion opponent can't do anything about it. If they are low enough, riftwalk in, Q, E, W and just melee until dead.

His lategame isn't as good as some other APs. He's an assassin. Needs to hang around the edge of the fight, burst and jump out - wait for cooldowns.

I've seen lots of people say his ult change was a nerf. I can't fathom that. His ult change was a pretty big buff.

Level 6 - straight buff. .5 ratio to .8, same damage
Level 11 - Wash at 66.6 ap (.3x = 20; x=66.6), buff upwards from there
Level 16 - Wash at 133.3 ap (.3x = 40; x=133.3), buff upwards from there

Decent itemization will get you to ~400 AP by level 18.

Old riftwalk 120 base + (400 *.5) = 320 damage
New riftwalk 80 base + (400 *.8) = 400 damage

20% increase. Scary.

edit: well it looks like the stacks on the ult don't scale. So with 400 AP it's a buff until you hit 3 stacks. Then it's less damage. However, from my experience playing him, I don't generally stack ults for damage. Mana costs are too high. By 3 stacks you've used 100+200+300 = 600 mana.

scy

Huh?? Don't you rather mean "hard to play properly" like mid Fizz??

No, I mean that if you pick him early, it's pretty easy for the other team to just counter pick you. Then again, maybe I'm just assuming too much about people knowing match ups and picking properly.

Kassadin is mostly countered by ranged AD midlane. He counters most AP champions with his passive and silence. And once he hits level 6 his opponent is in for a rough time. His lategame isn't as good as some other APs. He's an assassin. Needs to hang around the edge of the fight, burst and jump out - wait for cooldowns.

Eh, most anything with range/mobility beats him out due to being able to zone him. It's when he gets his ultimate that he gets better vs them but it may be too late if he was beaten too badly in lane. Though I imagine that applies to practically any champ who gets zoned out.

But, you're right. I should say mid game is better. His late game suffers from most the other problems that other good mid game champs see.

I've seen lots of people say his ult change was a nerf. I can't fathom that. His ult change was a pretty big buff.

Old riftwalk 120 base + (400 *.5) = 320 damage
New riftwalk 80 base + (400 *.8) = 400 damage

20% increase. Scary.

To be fair, it's:

X * Y + (AP * Ratio)

X = Base
Y = Times used

So the old Riftwalk is eventually better. At 400 AP, you have:

120*Y + 200 = 80*Y + 320
40Y = 120
Y = 3

So by the 4th Riftwalk and beyond, the old version is better at 400 AP. At 200 AP, it's something like the 2nd Riftwalk. Basically lets Kassadin get his damage out faster as his AP increases so it should be a buff like you say. But, people are dumb :x

garath

Eh, most anything with range/mobility beats him out due to being able to zone him. It's when he gets his ultimate that he gets better vs them but it may be too late if he was beaten too badly in lane. Though I imagine that applies to practically any champ who gets zoned out.

But, you're right. I should say mid game is better. His late game suffers from most the other problems that other good mid game champs see.

Even without range, it's a rare AP mid that can zone him if played well (hermdinger is one of the only ones I regularly lose lane hard against). He can trade very well with his passive. Provided both of you ran Magic pen and MR runes he should win out with his passive taking 15% less magic damage. He can take auto attack harass sure, but I usually run armor runes with kassadin so it's not as painful. Plus if you get a few W auto attacks off in return most opponents will lose that trade. If they don't run magic pen (or for some stupid reason MR) then they are in for a tough time even before 6.

Watch Ocelote play Kassadin sometime. It's a good show :) (he's doing it right now. http://www.own3d.tv/SKGaming/live/2721 )

edit: good catch on the Stacking. I realized that after I posted. Forgot stacks don't scale. It's still a buff the way I play Kassadin. You're in for a lot of basing if you stack that much.

double edit: What level are you up to? It would be fun to play sometime. For as new as you are, you're really picking up on the bigger picture well. I'm only a little more experienced tbh. Only started playing in Dec.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom