• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

League of Legends |OT2| So free, it's only 8000 USD!

Status
Not open for further replies.

EXGN

As an item I'm not really a fan of Force of Nature. The cost is extremely high and you get two things that don't synergize that well: a massive amount of MR and a pretty underwhelming of health regen. There are certain situations where it makes sense to consider, but I never really find it fits my playstyle well. I don't tend to feel like it makes tanks threatening enough for the gold investment/item slot, but this might just be more of a personal preference.

Not a fan of FON normally either, but I find the movespeed to be absolutely crucial with Skarner. The way I look at it, movespeed is an indirect buff to Skarner's ultimate - the more distance you can cover when the target is suppressed, the further you'll be able to pull the enemy carry away from your team or the harder you'll be able to pull the divers off your carry.

Plus FON provides you the single biggest chunk of MR of any item in the game. That plus Merc Treads and you should be good for MR.

But yea, I only use FON on champions that I believe need the movespeed, like Singed or Skarner.

Played some customs on Proving Grounds. I have no idea why some people still pick champs like Vayne and Talon there. I picked Cass and roflstomped most of their health so Varus can pick them off once they retreat far behind. Similar thing happened next game. AP Kog (me) and an AP Nidalee just harassed all day while Sivir can just pick up the kills.

I had Sorc, AA, Athene, Rylai, Guise and Morello on Kog. It's amusing how I had a little over 100 mana/5 there, and it can go up to over 200 when my mana gets low. It felt like infinite mana.

As an item I'm not really a fan of Force of Nature. The cost is extremely high and you get two things that don't synergize that well: a massive amount of MR and a pretty underwhelming of health regen. There are certain situations where it makes sense to consider, but I never really find it fits my playstyle well. I don't tend to feel like it makes tanks threatening enough for the gold investment/item slot, but this might just be more of a personal preference.
I don't often pick FoN either. Banshee makes you tankier with the extra health. MS is OK, and health regen is something I usually don't feel. I'd rather pick other 50+ MR items most of the time.

XeroSauce

Played some customs on Proving Grounds. I have no idea why some people still pick champs like Vayne and Talon there. I picked Cass and roflstomped most of their health so Varus can pick them off once they retreat far behind. Similar thing happened next game. AP Kog (me) and an AP Nidalee just harassed all day while Sivir can just pick up the kills.

I had Sorc, AA, Athene, Rylai, Guise and Morello on Kog. It's amusing how I had a little over 100 mana/5 there, and it can go up to over 200 when my mana gets low. It felt like infinite mana.

I don't often pick FoN either. Banshee makes you tankier with the extra health. MS is OK, and health regen is something I usually don't feel. I'd rather pick other 50+ MR items most of the time.

I didn't even know people played Blind Pick on there.

Blizzard

Banned
Boken doing me proud with Katarina. Everybody stop playing her, I don't want her to become remotely popular and nerfed considering practically every new champion gets some way to cancel her ult already. :p

I think I will buy the plant lady if I get to play tonight. Someone teach me LoL quick so I know what to do.

Pancakes

hot, steaming, as melted butter slips into the cracks, drizzled with sticky sweet syrup OH GOD
Boken doing me proud with Katarina. Everybody stop playing her, I don't want her to become remotely popular and nerfed considering practically every new champion gets some way to cancel her ult already. :p

I think I will buy the plant lady if I get to play tonight. Someone teach me LoL quick so I know what to do.

Welp time to buy Katarina, counter picked? np np

scy

Even with the plants I feel like she doesn't do much damage. :/
I've only played her on PBE so maybe she's changed.

With the cooldown on her Q, it's just so much easier to pop 2 seeds and Q, then another seed and E or Q later.

Well, it's basically just the difference of WQWE (two Q plants) or WEQW (1 E, 1 Q). Generally speaking, yeah, I just do the first since it's a lot easier to land and early-to-mid game will be good pressure or enough to secure a kill. Just one of those things to try out but I'm thinking it'll still be just "Q plants unless you NEED the slow."

Damage wise ... she's pretty good until late game. :(

Plant seeds, Q them, hit your ultimate, die, and then kill steal with her passive. You'll look like a pro with a 3:1 ratio if you time it right!

Blizzard

Banned
Welp time to buy Katarina, counter picked? np np
Speaking of countering people, I feel like most Swains I have played against try to hit you with the Loud Circle attack and run away when it fails. The other day I played against one who appeared to be maxing and harassing with Zapping Bird whenever he got in range, and it worked well for him. What's the best approach to take against such a birdswain?

Plant seeds, Q them, hit your ultimate, die, and then kill steal with her passive. You'll look like a pro with a 3:1 ratio if you time it right!
So basically like Phreak's preview -- almost kill some people, take a bunch of damage, and if you get lucky, get a kill after you're dead. :p

scy

So basically like Phreak's preview -- almost kill some people, take a bunch of damage, and if you get lucky, get a kill after you're dead. :p

I guess so~!

Seriously though, plant seeds in lane to keep them as a potential threat; even at low levels, they cool down fast enough that you can have a seed placed and still have two on you at all times (last for 30s when placed, base 17s cooldown or 15.6 with 8% starting CDR). They can help in bushes too instead of an early ward, I guess, but I'd rather have a ward personally.

Her Q and E have decent base damages so you can pressure with them even with base AP and she tends to not have many mana issues so you can get away with using at least her Q relatively frequently. Your goal is basically a lot of zone control and costing them CS (or costing them health/potion for those CS). I basically think of her as always having the opportunity to make your opponent pay up to approach.

If they overextend, punish with her full combo but don't pursue too hard as she has no escape and is fairly squishy herself. If you need to push lane, you can push it up to tower and seed outside tower range and setup plants (or plant them slightly past tower and zone them from being under turret while your minions tank tower). Lets you safely go back while still having some damage/presence going for a few extra seconds. Costing them a last hit or two is always a win. If you do push up, you can steal wraiths easily as well so keep that in mind :x

Skill order I like QWQE and then R > Q > W > E. If you're constantly getting blue, you can stop W at 4 for 16% + 4% from mastery + 20% blue to max out CDR rather than taking it to 5 but, eh, it still lowers the seed timer by an extra second (14 -> 13). Up to you on that.

Boken

Banned

Whenever I play Katarina I tell people my main account is SummonsInTrouble.

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
Watching Chaox play last night and he played Zyra exceptionally well. He maxed E first and then after that alternated between W and Q. The damage on the W and E is virtually the same. The only things that are different is the CD, the plant that spawns, and the ratio. Honestly, the snare is really worth it and essentially when he fought he did WEWQR. And that pretty much destroyed the enemy.

scy

Watching Chaox play last night and he played Zyra exceptionally well. He maxed E first and then after that alternated between W and Q. The damage on the W and E is virtually the same. The only things that are different is the CD, the plant that spawns, and the ratio. Honestly, the snare is really worth it and essentially when he fought he did WEWQR. And that pretty much destroyed the enemy.

E has lower base damage (until maxed) and the lower ratio. I think the resulting plant is a lot worse, though. But, it's been one night. A lot of experimenting to be done still.

E may ultimately be the better pressure while Q is more zone.

Ferrio

Banned
Got to play Jayce in aram, actually found him quite fun. Not sure if I'd find him effective in SR (his range is so short), but he's a very active character which I liked.

ahoyhoy

Unconfirmed Member
I think this is my first time posting in this thread. Been playing pretty steadily for about 2 months now. Almost at about 100 wins.

Wanted to say that Lulu is awesome. Love playing her so much.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
Wanted to say that Lulu is awesome. Love playing her so much.
I really like playing as her. Super high skill cap though, so I always feel like I need to get way better and put more games in. Some of the mega attack speed builds have been really crushing people, so I'm looking to mess around more with that top lane.

Blizzard

Banned
Promote is really powerful. People get lulled into a false sense of security with small minions, then suddenly there's a BIG minion. It's like seeing Godzilla or something -- wouldn't you run away?

XeroSauce

Promote doesn't feel great to use when the enemy can just use a skill or two to destroy it. It's attack speed sucks and it has a hard time with picking targets.

Promote is really powerful. People get lulled into a false sense of security with small minions, then suddenly there's a BIG minion. It's like seeing Godzilla or something -- wouldn't you run away?

promote is good for pushing the lane, and sometimes that's a good thing late game to give your minions some extra support to take down turrets without anyone in lane. What role was hotshot playing and what was his other summoner spell? anyone have a link to the match?

zkylon

zkylewd
Ahri is hard, specially if you suck as I do, and if you're matched with teams of level 30s with 500 victories under their belts. I got to level 30 on a string of 7 defeats in a row, 5 of them as Ahri.

I guess it's back to Luxin'. I can get an Athene's with Lux :3

garath

Ahri is hard, specially if you suck as I do, and if you're matched with teams of level 30s with 500 victories under their belts. I got to level 30 on a string of 7 defeats in a row, 5 of them as Ahri.

You're 30 already? Man. I wish I had more time to play. I just hit 29 and I've been playing for 7 months :p

For the FoN discussion, I actually enjoy the massive amount of health regen it gives. I can wander around in the teamfight phase from place to place, negating damage incurred in skirmishes.

I especially like it on Garen.

Our top lane is our GP vs their Kat. Lulz auto win lane am i right? GP build at end game - infinity edge double phantom dancer zerk greaves and kat is like 5/0 by 15 minutes easily. What the christ am I looking at here? Am I seeing this right? Did that just really happen?

zkylon

zkylewd
You're 30 already? Man. I wish I had more time to play. I just hit 29 and I've been playing for 7 months :p
Yeah, to be honest, I don't know how it happened, but I've had the feeling I was leveling up faster lately for some reason and well, here I am, level 30. I've been playing for, I think, 2-3 months now, though LoL replaced most if not all my other gaming.

Hitting level 30 makes me wish there were at least more levels, even if you didn't get anything in the way of rune slots or masteries, just so I wouldn't be matched against people that play so much better than me (I reckon it takes wins and so into account, but doesn't feel like it).

Love me some Lux as well. So much damage and Utiltiy when it counts.

Never got Athene's with her, though. Should probably try it out some time in mid.
Yeah, I usually like utility APs over pure damage like Annie/Brand/etc. Lux is my favorite champ, she's so much fun, even though I know she's low tier.

I find Athene on her to work really well, I never really liked Lich Bane all that much so I've replaced it with Athene's and I've found I'm better off. Might not be for everyone, but it works for me, and Lux is both mana-heavy and has long cooldowns (none of those are usually a problem with me, but it's better to get rid of weak points), so Athene seems to be a perfect fit.

kiunchbb

www.dictionary.com

Keep trying, Ahri is top tier AP in all phase of the game, you will not regret it.

XeroSauce

Yeah, to be honest, I don't know how it happened, but I've had the feeling I was leveling up faster lately for some reason and well, here I am, level 30. I've been playing for, I think, 2-3 months now, though LoL replaced most if not all my other gaming.

Hitting level 30 makes me wish there were at least more levels, even if you didn't get anything in the way of rune slots or masteries, just so I wouldn't be matched against people that play so much better than me (I reckon it takes wins and so into account, but doesn't feel like it).

Yeah, I usually like utility APs over pure damage like Annie/Brand/etc. Lux is my favorite champ, she's so much fun, even though I know she's low tier.

I find Athene on her to work really well, I never really liked Lich Bane all that much so I've replaced it with Athene's and I've found I'm better off. Might not be for everyone, but it works for me, and Lux is both mana-heavy and has long cooldowns (none of those are usually a problem with me, but it's better to get rid of weak points), so Athene seems to be a perfect fit.

You do have a "normal Elo" so it'll match you up with people around your level approximately.

Pancakes

hot, steaming, as melted butter slips into the cracks, drizzled with sticky sweet syrup OH GOD
Decided to buy Karthus as my new mid. Smart casting with his Q takes some getting used to.

ahoyhoy

Unconfirmed Member

Depends on where I am.

I build Shurelya's for support, as it allows for a high boost in mana regen and cooldown reduction so I can spam shield/snare/ulti, but I guess that's standard for most support champs. Kage's Pick and/or Heart of Gold, then Amulet or Will of the Ancients, depending on the team comp.

Mid is just 1-2 Doran's -> Sorc Boots -> Deathcap about 95% of the time. Rarely fails me.

Pancakes

Not if all your skills are set to smartcast anyways!

I'm spamming Q and since I'm clicking all over the map to move around, it looks like Karthus is having a seizure.

zkylon

zkylewd
Keep trying, Ahri is top tier AP in all phase of the game, you will not regret it.
I also gotta learn she's not a burst champ like Lux, Annie or Akali, I'm too used to being able to destroy people in one combo while they can't defend themselves that I have to start learning how to treat my enemies as opponents rather than victims :p

I played against another Ahri yesterday and it was pretty hectic. We were both jumping around throwing skillshots everywhere. It was crazy :D

You do have a "normal Elo" so it'll match you up with people around your level approximately.
Yeah, I'm just complaining because I'm a sore loser :p

Depends on where I am.

I build Shurelya's for support, as it allows for a high boost in mana regen and cooldown reduction so I can spam shield/snare/ulti, but I guess that's standard for most support champs. Kage's Pick and/or Heart of Gold, then Amulet or Will of the Ancients, depending on the team comp.

Mid is just 1-2 Doran's -> Sorc Boots -> Deathcap about 95% of the time. Rarely fails me.
Could be, I just don't play Lux as support since in my opinion bot is too messy for skillshot champions, so I'd rather just use Sona and concentrate on harass/warding/etc.

My build for mid is pretty much like yours, I go 1 Doran's, Boots, Deathcap, Athene's. Usually I don't get to build more than that. I might squeeze another Doran's between Boots and Deathcap. (oh yeah and I buy a lot of wards)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom